• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the "So Long Ness" Monster of an update

Flaming_Wuzzle

Smash Cadet
OK, Sakurai's exact words:

"There's a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now,...."

I don't think he's going to be in Brawl.
In the Handicaps post:

"So until now, I’ve always made sure to include handicaps in each game in the series."

So going by your logic, handicaps are deconfirmed for Brawl.

...except, they aren't. Sakurai (or at least his English translator) doesn't necessarily mean that <feature> is out of Brawl when he uses "until now", so, at the moment, there's nothing that deconfirms Ness other than the idea that since Ness was supposed to be taken out of Melee in favor of Lucas, but then got left in because Mother 3 got delayed, Sakurai is going to switch them out in Brawl.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
In the Handicaps post:

"So until now, I’ve always made sure to include handicaps in each game in the series."

So going by your logic, handicaps are deconfirmed for Brawl.

...except, they aren't. Sakurai (or at least his English translator) doesn't necessarily mean that <feature> is out of Brawl when he uses "until now", so, at the moment, there's nothing that deconfirms Ness other than the idea that since Ness was supposed to be taken out of Melee in favor of Lucas, but then got left in because Mother 3 got delayed, Sakurai is going to switch them out in Brawl.
Eh... they *ARE*

The handicap update deconfirmed the old handicap system and introduced a new one. Just replace old handicap with Ness and new handicap with Lucas and it's the same thing.

Flaming_Wuzzle

Smash Cadet
Eh... they *ARE*

The handicap update deconfirmed the old handicap system and introduced a new one. Just replace old handicap with Ness and new handicap with Lucas and it's the same thing.
No, he said Handicaps, not a specific system of handicaps, just the concept of a handicap in general. The fact that he changed the handicap system isn't mentioned until further down in the update.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
No, he said Handicaps, not a specific system of handicaps, just the concept of a handicap in general. The fact that he changed the handicap system isn't mentioned until further down in the update.

So? He still used it for a deconfirmation.

I'll put it another way: Whenever "up until now" is used, it denotes CHANGE. New Handicap system, a new way to do combos and Mario's Fludd.

There's always change involved.

M.K

Level 55
I've heard that the "up until now" translation from the Japanese could mean a variety of things. The Japanese systems letter combanation it derived from could also mean several, non-deconfirming phrases.

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe you all think Ness is really gone! Fools, you'll all see in due time!

*Teleports from Thread*

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Oh my God, please tell me this whole thing is a joke.

If you people think the phrase "up until now" de-confirms Ness, you are the biggest concentration of idiots ever to form on the Internet.

Flaming_Wuzzle

Smash Cadet

So? He still used it for a deconfirmation.

I'll put it another way: Whenever "up until now" is used, it denotes CHANGE. New Handicap system, a new way to do combos and Mario's Fludd.

There's always change involved.
The only reason you're assuming Ness is deconfirmed is because of 3 words that have been proven to not necessarily mean that <whatever> is not going to be in Brawl.

Now, if he had said something to the effect of "So until now, I've always made sure to include handicaps to weaken certain competitors in each game in the series", I could see your point, since he would clearly be talking about the previous handicap system. But he doesn't mention anything about the system changing until the next sentence, which has absolutely nothing to do with 'until now'. He just says 'handicap', which is just referring to the concept of a handicap in some form. So, in this case, 'until now' is being used as 'since the beginning of the series'. Why can't that also be true of Ness?

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
The only reason you're assuming Ness is deconfirmed is because of 3 words that have been proven to not necessarily mean that <whatever> is not going to be in Brawl.

Now, if he had said something to the effect of "So until now, I've always made sure to include handicaps to weaken certain competitors in each game in the series", I could see your point, since he would clearly be talking about the previous handicap system. But he doesn't mention anything about the system changing until the next sentence, which has absolutely nothing to do with 'until now'. He just says 'handicap', which is just referring to the concept of a handicap in some form. So, in this case, 'until now' is being used as 'since the beginning of the series'. Why can't that also be true of Ness?
WTF???

Did you EVER know Ness was supposed to be cut in Melee but wasn't because Lucas' game was cancelled?

Things are not looking good for Ness, and I've been saying this since Oct. 1.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
WTF???

Did you EVER know Ness was supposed to be cut in Melee but wasn't because Lucas' game was cancelled?

ah yes but alot of ppl love Ness...the only way...and I MEAN THE ONLY WAY for Ness to be deconfirmed is if we get the game and Ness is nowhere to be found....even if we unlocked everything...."up until now" means alot of things....but it certainly does, in fact, NOT deconfirm anything......

Flaming_Wuzzle

Smash Cadet
WTF???

Uh..

there's nothing that deconfirms Ness other than the idea that since Ness was supposed to be taken out of Melee in favor of Lucas, but then got left in because Mother 3 got delayed, Sakurai is going to switch them out in Brawl.
Yes, I did know that. However, that condition existing in Melee's development isn't proof that the same condition exists in Brawl's development.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Yes, I did know that. However, that condition existing in Melee's development isn't proof that the same condition exists in Brawl's development.
As much as I hate to repeat myself verbatim... *ahem*

"Yeah, I'm sure he managed to get less bored of the character after all those years."

I'll try to put up a timeline of "Will Ness be in Brawl?"

Start: "Sakurai wanted to replace him for Melee."
-> 50% ( will he or won't he? )

"Newcomer: Lucas"
-> 25% ( looks quite like he did )

"Up until now"
-> 12.5% ( it is a bit ambiguous )

"Now check out his moves which are all but improvements over Ness' in Melee! Even the nonsensical PK Thunder recovery was kept!"
-> 5% ( seriously now )

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
**** it... if Sakurai confirmed Ness that would be the greatest update ever. Great! It's my 200th post! Sakurai will anwser my wish! Tommorrow get ready for Ness on the Dojo!!!

Fawriel

Smash Master
Once again, if he's not a playable character, he shouldn't be an AT. It's not "honorable."

That's like saying if Falco's not in, he could be an AT.
... uh.
Aren't you supposed to put a really absurd example into such an analogy? I don't see anything wrong with a Falco AT. At all.

Look, just imagine it. Non-returning characters return in AT form as the rarest and most powerful variety of them all. They show up, taunt, then perform an epic Final Smash that's possibly even better than any Final Smash a playable character has.
They just show up and kick *** and can't get their *** beaten in return. Sounds good to me.

What I want to know is from *WHERE* the Ness fans are comming now?? Where the hell where you 6 years ago? The moment a character gets close to a deconfirmation, all of his supporters come up? WTF? Were you undercover?
I'm guessing that half of these people are just some sort of conservative party who simply need things because they got used to them.

Flaming_Wuzzle

Smash Cadet
What I want to know is from *WHERE* the Ness fans are comming now?? Where the hell where you 6 years ago? The moment a character gets close to a deconfirmation, all of his supporters come up? WTF? Were you undercover?
Honestly, I'm not that much of a Ness fan. I barily used him in Melee, and wouldn't be particularly upset if Ness did actually get taken out. I'm just tired of people misinterpreting three words on one language's version of the Dojo, then shouting down everyone who wants to actually wait until we have completely indisputable proof of a character's departure and telling them to 'deal with it'.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm not that much of a Ness fan. I barily used him in Melee, and wouldn't be particularly upset if Ness did actually get taken out. I'm just tired of people misinterpreting three words on one language's version of the Dojo, then shouting down everyone who wants to actually wait until we have completely indisputable proof of a character's departure and telling them to 'deal with it'.
Lucas supposed to be in SSB + Lucas supposed to be in Melee + Lucas revealed before Ness + Him getting 3 of his specials and one that works almost like the other one = Ness is most likely out.

There, not a single "Up until now".

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Lucas supposed to be in SSB + Lucas supposed to be in Melee + Lucas revealed before Ness + Him getting 3 of his specials and one that works almost like the other one = Ness is most likely out.

If we follow that logic, that might mean a few things..

- Balloon Fighter will be in brawl, I think he was wanted in melee.
- Ike being revealed before Marth means hes out.
- samurai goroh's AT = the new F-Zero rep since he got revealed before C.Falcon (jk lol)

I say we just wait to see if sukarai himself says "Ness is out" or "Ness is in"

or that corocoro thing on dec 15th :p

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
If we follow that logic, that might mean a few things..

- Balloon Fighter will be in brawl, I think he was wanted in melee.
- Ike being revealed before Marth means hes out.
- samurai goroh's AT = the new F-Zero rep since he got revealed before C.Falcon (jk lol)

I say we just wait to see if sukarai himself says "Ness is out" or "Ness is in"

or that corocoro thing on dec 15th :p
-Balloon Fighter for Brawl!!
-Ike doesn't play like Marth
-That's just stupid.

Flaming_Wuzzle

Smash Cadet

1/2) Okay, Lucas was supposed to be in both games before this. There's no rule that says only one of them can be in. Not many people would have had a problem with Lucas replacing Ness for Melee, but Ness was easily one of the more popular characters in the series, so there's every chance he was kept in because of the fans.
3) Entirely possible that Sakurai's not going to reveal any of the unlockables.
4) Ness could be back with a different moveset. Refer back to the Bowser update, specifically the part that says that there will be a lot of characters that will have a "slightly different flavor." Maybe they'll give him moves that he actually had in the Mother games.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
1/2) Okay, Lucas was supposed to be in both games before this. There's no rule that says only one of them can be in. Not many people would have had a problem with Lucas replacing Ness for Melee, but Ness was easily one of the more popular characters in the series, so there's every chance he was kept in because of the fans.
4) Ness could be back with a different moveset. Refer back to the Bowser update, specifically the part that says that there will be a lot of characters that will have a "slightly different flavor." Maybe they'll give him moves that he actually had in the Mother games.
I hope your right, because Ness deserves to be in brawl.. after two games already.. if he is removed its just like saying he was a seat warmer for a blonde kid with a weird rope snake.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
1/2) Yes, but then you're seeing Ness as a Smash character, and not as a Mother character.
3) Why would he? as a throwback to Smash 64? I don't see the point.
4) Then again, Bowser doesn't have a new moveset. The only character with a new move is Mario, and he didn't get an entire moveset overhaul. Why would they give a new moveset to a veteran and the old moveset to a newcommer? AND why would they give an all new moveset to a character they wanted out in Melee?

Each point on it's own may be easily counterable, but all of them together just add up too much.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Didn't Sakurai say the original 12 would return as playable characters?

I look at Ness and Lucas the same way as Mario and Luigi. Just because Luigi is similar to Mario in looks and moves, you wouldn't remove him would you?

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
finally somone who thinks like me!!!!! thats how i say it could work out.
and if you ask me Lucas is a pretty bad replacment as far as Ness goes he seems to fight NOTHING like Ness. and if he is replacing Ness as a newcomer that makes him a pretty unoriginal newcomer at that
(just so you all know i don't hate Lucas i really like him along with MOTHER 3 but all this pertains to his translatation into brawl)

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond

I look at Ness and Lucas the same way as Mario and Luigi. Just because Luigi is similar to Mario in looks and moves, you wouldn't remove him would you?
No, Sakurai never said that he was bringing back the original 12, but that is a very optomistic way to think about Ness. They may tweak Ness' old uB and dB though, since both attacks are very similar to Lucas'.

Super_alex2

Smash Journeyman
If Ness is out (which I kind of doubt) it leaves room for new characters from the MOTHER series, even if he IS in. I would love to see other reps like Duster, Jeff, or Claus.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
lucas seems stronger than ssbm ness really, but he isnt a classic player from the 64 version, i dont like the idea of taking ness away, why didnt they give that move set to ness =/?

Foe

Smash Journeyman

But Mario and Luigi are also two of the biggest Nintendo characters of the biggest franchise in Nintendo. Mother and Earthbound isn't even top 5 and Falco would have a bigger chance than Ness because of this.(Your reasoning.) Hell, you could even say Doc has a better chance using that.

Top Bottom