• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's Over"... A Sheik Combo Video Ft. OverTriforce

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what I think about this. A bunch of key points.

One is I don't understand why the credits are quarter of the video. I'm not going to watch names scroll at a very very slow rate up a screen for 3 minutes.

Another is sort of my overall impression of the combos in the video...which was that they were either not combos or were very cookie cutter.

Let me elaborate on that a bit more, because it's not like over was not making smart decisions or doing things that were unimpressive. Quite the opposite, lots of the opponents were very high level players, and it was great gameplay footage. I'd love to watch most of the sets these are clipped from.

My problem is that I look for something different in a combo video. I don't look for smart tournament play. I look for creativity and unique circumstances. For instance seeing over dash attack a falco 4 times in a row into a fair is really not something I want in a combo video. it's something I've seen many many times before. In fact, smartness is almost the opposite of what I look for. I like to see players go for things that they don't know will work, just because they think it would be interesting or cool to do. Sure, that happens in plenty of tournament play, but it's not what people usually go for if they're trying to win. I prefer to see friendlies in videos a lot of the time because I feel that's when most players let loose and start trying to make new things rather than things they've succeeded with in the past

Now, there are a couple qualifiers to this. I understand that sheik doesn't lend herself to many unique combos. However, this isn't to say that she can't do cool things. Things like dair tech chasing, falling uairs, usmash techchasing.

It's also possible that some things I would like to see simply aren't possible in the pal version. Tech chasing might be more difficult with the dthrow, comboing floaties with it won't happen as easily, so I'm of a bit more lenient. But there are things I definitely want to see more of (uair, dair...dtilt. There wasn't a single dtilt that I can remember).

As for the editing, there were some things that were very well done, but a fair bit of the time I felt like it was over done. Like a filter was applied just because the editor thought "I should put a filter here", not because it was actually complementary to the clip.

My overall impression then, is that it was enjoyable, but not memorable. There was very little that made me super excited or think "wow".

This is not to say that I think over is a blah player. ( let me bold this to make sure people don't skip over it in this wall o' text) I think he's one of the best sheiks in the world-no I don't just think that, that's a pretty non-debatable point. It's just that to me, combo videos are not about showing yourself beat other players, they're about showing people your ideas. I'd be willing to bet that if you spent a year where you recorded lots of friendlies over played, you'd get a lot of fantastic footage that I'd probably pay to see.

On a slightly separate point, I don't think there has been a sheik video so far that really wowed me. Maybe this is because the basics work so well for sheik that players rarely have the opportunity or need to do something very different, but I've definitely seen some individual combos from various top sheiks that made me gasp. I think it's very hard to make what I would consider a great sheik video, but it can definitely be done.

tl;dr- it was good, but I bet over has a lot of cooler stuff that I would love to see a video for, and I think that while I didn't enjoy all the editing, I think a lot of it was good and has good potential.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Since we're talking about style and favourites... this is still the best Sheik combo video IMO. This video was actually the inspiration for a lot of the standard combos I use today (not kidding).

This isn't meant to steal Over's thunder though. The video was pretty good overall and it certainly communicates a lot about him. You can definitely see he's a really no-nonsense player from this and as a practicality ***** I have to admire that. And there's something to be said for just doing something correctly and effectively.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Over has a very precise Shiek, almost like Batman, in that even when he messes up, he makes it look like he meant to do it the entire time XD

i have an issue with the fact that every single clip seemed to have an effect on it, but Overall a very good video

:phone:

soap

Smash Hero
I think the editing was a little OVERdone
My thoughts exactly..

The editing and the music were.. not my style

I liked the sheik ditto combo on dreamland. That was pretty.

The shield break on fox was lolzy

He keeps pressure up very well even after he drops the combo.

I wanna see a KK video now. Thinking about that dair, weak nair to bair

:phone:

Top Bottom