• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isn't it best to just ban meta knight from competitive play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
No need to flame, I'm just starting a normal, serious conversation.
Meta knight is a good character, a very good character, some even call him broken.
but now the infinite dimentional cape technique is found, he kinda IS broken.
Because banning this technique is almost impossible, because measuring if someone is exploiting it, is just well kinda impossible.
And not banning the technique makes meta knight TOO good.
I know it is not fair for the people who main meta knight and dedicated their time to master him, but isn't it best to ban meta knight?

It's not my intention to ban meta knight, because banning a character was never done before and shouldn't be done.
This thread is just to talk about it, not a call out to the poeple to ban meta knight.
NOT AT ALL :)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Perhaps. It's talked about all the time. He's pretty much the ONLY character I can't consistently beat regardless of whose playing him if my opponent is in the same realm of skill as me.

Though, it's entirely possible for us as a community to ban the Infinite Dimension Cape tech.

I'm heavy conflicted on whether or not I want to see Meta banned. He's one of my favorite Nintendo characters, I play him (though I'm a Marth main and use Marth for tourneys) often and well. I was ecstatic to see his inclusion in Brawl as a playable character those months ago, and I just really love him as a character.

On the other hand, he's pretty broken, and I think that if he was banned my tourney success rate would increase dramatically. I've been knocked out of almost every tournament by a Metaknight player (an unknown player @ that) even after haven beaten some of the more reputable players, so I know it is not skill I lack.

I admit that I could get better to solve this problem, but none of my friends play Metaknight, and it's difficult for me to get exposure to lots of him (as well as costly), so it's exceptionally harder for many people like me, who do actually possess skill at the game to fair well. I place decent, but when I get to the top and I'm forced into one of the many Metaknight matchups, even if I beat the first, I probably lose the second.

So, perhaps I want him banned after all (I recognize this as highly unlikely). I don't want to have to switch my tourney main. I have great loyalty to Marth and will not break my honor by abusing a broken character. Marth is good enough.

Muzga

Smash Ace
well then why not just ban the technique? It's very easy to see if someone is using it.
Irrespective of its potential quality as an approach and as a stall, It has no other uses.
Not banning this technique would be a terrible idea,
So would banning a character which people have spent time to master.

It would be easier just to ban this stupid tech.
People have spent what, 2 days trying to learn and master this tech?
What good reasons are there to have this tech and not ban it?
Im not looking for excuses or comparisons, i want one good reason why us metaknight players need this tech in competitive play.

help me out here

DFEAR

Smash Hero
like banning ic climbers just cause of the grabs its what made ic rock so hard, BUT BEFORE the tech was even discovered metaknight kicked *** just skill wise :) i main him and side main dk, use both in tourneys, id be disappointed if mk was banned. but that be very drastic, might as well ban snake too, friggin uptilt xD :p. id just ban the AT and then continue our lives :)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
lol dont ban the character..ban the techs and players that abuse them >_<

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I know it is not fair for the people who main meta knight and dedicated their time to master him, but isn't it best to ban meta knight?
Definitely not. Banning Meta Knight himself would be an irrational move.

This tech should seriously just get banned; MK can do well without it.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
According to numerous Tournament results snake comes out on top more often then metaknight. If this tech had not been discovered the topic of banning metaknight wouldn't even come up. While Metaknight is quite a force to be reckoned with, it's far easier and more fair overall if we ban the infinite dimension cape tech. Banning a character outright should be used as an ABSOLUTE last resort.

DarkVampire

Smash Rookie
yea banning a character is impossibe, but the technique is easy cause ull be the only one slamming ure c-stick up like a mad scientist on steroids.

and i dont get it, how can metaknight be that good? i dont think hes worth banning. top tier, yea maybe, but not godly.

TomTom

Smash Cadet
Personally, I haven't been able to master the Infinite Dimensional Cape trick offline. Maybe it's easier online - I haven't tried. Still, it's much too extreme to ban Meta Knight from tournaments.. if the technique is mastered and subsequently abused, then by all means ban the technique from competitive play. But the majority of players continue to use Meta Knight in a perfectly honest way.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
This thread does seem closable. =P

Anyway, as many people said, if something will be banned, then its the tech. Even though, its not like that tech is the most godly thing that happened to SSB. That spot belongs to Pichu.
:laugh:

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
While we're at it, we should also ban his neutral B, since it can also be used for stalling purposes. Ololol.

I don't think that anybody is going to ban Metaknight. Tournament organizers will just have to be a bit less lazy when it comes to monitoring metaknight matches.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
The thing that I dislike the most, is that characters like Meta Knight and Snake are in a league of their own compared to the other characters. Basically, the only philosophy that can apply to those seeking to become pros is, "If this character can't beat the S-class, then this character is not good," what's worse is that this philosophy is, in tournament cases, true. Many tournaments are full of Meta's and Snake's because they are so good and it kills the uniqueness and depth of the game. IC's infinites are NOT comparable to these characters, because their grab range is short and somewhat situational, IC's are not even a broken character in general. Meta Knights, on the other hand, have something similar to this and is by far the cheapest, most shallow move in the game: the Tornado. There is a difference between intelligently timing you grabs and desyncs v. rapidly tapping the B button, especially since this move can be virtually unpunishable. IMO, it would be far better for the community if Snake and Meta Knight were not in this game, it would allow more characters to have the potential to win tournaments and would be a more accurate depiction of both players' individual skill. Although, these characters are not unbeatable they are darn near crossing the line, and this is the argument that players come up with to defend Meta Knight and Snake. If only the promise of diversity was enough...

These are my 2 cents... eh... maybe a nickel's worth of thoughts.

Piginabag

Smash Rookie
You're gonna get flamed for that post, but for some strange (not) reason, I agree with most of it.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
The thing that I dislike the most, is that characters like Meta Knight and Snake are in a league of their own compared to the other characters. Basically, the only philosophy that can apply to those seeking to become pros is, "If this character can't beat the S-class, then this character is not good," what's worse is that this philosophy is, in tournament cases, true. Many tournaments are full of Meta's and Snake's because they are so good and it kills the uniqueness and depth of the game. IC's infinites are NOT comparable to these characters, because their grab range is short and somewhat situational, IC's are not even a broken character in general. Meta Knights, on the other hand, have something similar to this and is by far the cheapest, most shallow move in the game: the Tornado. There is a difference between intelligently timing you grabs and desyncs v. rapidly tapping the B button, especially since this move can be virtually unpunishable. IMO, it would be far better for the community if Snake and Meta Knight were not in this game, it would allow more characters to have the potential to win tournaments and would be a more accurate depiction of both players' individual skill. Although, these characters are not unbeatable they are darn near crossing the line, and this is the argument that players come up with to defend Meta Knight and Snake. If only the promise of diversity was enough...

Aero, (who mains DeDeDe) got first in the biggest brawl tournament in socal
Dsf (one of the best snakes) got beat by Azen, a Lucario main
I can go on and on, though MK and Snake are probably the best in the game, they aren't gods and are totally beatable and nowhere near crossing the line like Akuma, and as for diversity, if you like it so much play jiggs or something

DFEAR

Smash Hero

very true. but lets say we were in a death fight where the only possible weapons were a knife and a 150-missle launching tank with mid-range bazookas O_O :\ guess MOST people would choose the tank ya know. do whatever it takes to win in a sense. MK and Snake are indeed beyond other character leagues but seriously it cant be the character could be the player ya know. to me character choice has somewhat an effect but only to an extent :\ i know somewhere out there is a pichu player that can kick a fox's *** in melee O_O ya never know.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
I don't see why Snake is that big of a deal. Metaknight, with or without the tech, is easily more of a threat to the entire cast than Snake is. Even if I'm using metaknight, I would view another metaknight to be more of a threat than Snake.

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
The IDC(infinite dimensional cape) can be banned as a stalling tactic or altogether, whichever one is fine. i'm also fin with not banning it. the frantic and loud clicking of the C-stick gives people using this away pretty quickly. so it wouldn't be hard to notice.

If people start banning meta-knight, snake will win even more tournaments, then they will ban snake, leaving the DDDs and whatnot's to win tournaments, at which point they get banned as well. It's a bad cycle.

The meta-knight i have played with the most is Wobbles.
Is Wobbles good with MK? Absolutely, is he invincible? no. he's not. is meta-knight "broken"? no. is meta-knight hard to get around? yes. is he impossible to get around? NO!

The first fighting game character to be banned was Akuma(iirc) and the main reason was because he could hit with an overhead AND a sweep at the same time(talking same frame here) if meta-knight had an incredibly easy lock, infinite, or glitch that was hard to catch, then sure. he might be too good for brawl. but as it stands, he is nowhere NEAR bannable in any sense as a character.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
No need to flame, I'm just starting a normal, serious conversation.
Meta knight is a good character, a very good character, some even call him broken.
but now the infinite dimentional cape technique is found, he kinda IS broken.
Because banning this technique is almost impossible, because measuring if someone is exploiting it, is just well kinda impossible.
And not banning the technique makes meta knight TOO good.

It's not my intention to ban meta knight, because banning a character was never done before and shouldn't be done.
This thread is just to talk about it, not a call out to the poeple to ban meta knight.
NOT AT ALL :)
Isn't it best to not start a thread like this in the same character forum as the one you're suggesting to be banned? I believe you had to have some idea of the inevitable responses you'd get here, so please, close the thread, we don't need another flame-fest.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
If people start banning meta-knight, snake will win even more tournaments, then they will ban snake, leaving the DDDs and whatnot's to win tournaments, at which point they get banned as well. It's a bad cycle.
Nope. First of all, Metaknight wins more tournaments than Snake. Secondly, its pretty much been concluded that one of the reasons Snake places so well is because he always has to go up against Metaknight at the end game of tournaments. Metaknight clears away the Olimars, the ROBs, the Falcos, and pretty much anyone else that counters or goes neutral with Snake. Then Snake wins against MK. Removing MK from the equation would not only drop Snakes placements, but it would also probably make more characters tourney viable.

Anyway, to answer the OP: Yes, probably. But its unlikely to happen, and if it does, it won't be for awhile. Basically until its proven that MK is actually detrimental to Brawl's competitive metagame.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Seriously, this is ********. Not only is snake better than MK, MK is also VERY beatable. Learn the **** matchup people, he's easy as hell to kill.

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
Nope. First of all, Metaknight wins more tournaments than Snake. Secondly, its pretty much been concluded that one of the reasons Snake places so well is because he always has to go up against Metaknight at the end game of tournaments. Metaknight clears away the Olimars, the ROBs, the Falcos, and pretty much anyone else that counters or goes neutral with Snake. Then Snake wins against MK. Removing MK from the equation would not only drop Snakes placements, but it would also probably make more characters tourney viable.

Anyway, to answer the OP: Yes, probably. But its unlikely to happen, and if it does, it won't be for awhile. Basically until its proven that MK is actually detrimental to Brawl's competitive metagame.
Are you ********? That makes no sense at all dude... Snakes get randomly seeded in tournament just like MKs... Meaning that Snakes will most likly have to fight Olimars, ROBs, and Falcos.... Even MKs along the way....

That argument is so dumb...

Idc if noobs think MK is broken. Just because you get owned by MK players around you, dosnt make it right for MK to be banned... But w/e idc...

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
This was meant to be a 'what if' topic, not a flame fest

if anyone after this post asks me to close this thread, I will :)

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
This was meant to be a 'what if' topic, not a flame fest

if anyone after this post asks me to close this thread, I will :)
Don't close it. smashboards is about discussion. and this will be a big subject over the next couple weeks or so.

like i said though, i'm fine with whatever, playing with Taj in melee since 2003 has hardened me to not see anything as cheap.

cutter

Smash Champion
If you want to ban MK, you'll have to ban Snake in the future sometime too since he's also too good. After those two are gone, G&W would be banned, followed by DDD, Marth, ROB, Falco, Olimar... basically if you ban one character, you'll start a huge domino effect that will result in EVERY character being banned. Just because MK wouldn't be dominating tournaments doesn't mean the game will be better off. Someone would take over and fill the void (most likely G&W or DDD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom