• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Mewtwo would steal the show, even if with ridley. The anti-hype turn around might backlash onto Isaac and that might be bad for the poor guy. All he wanted to do was punch varying famous Nintendo characters so hard that they flew off so vilantly they become rays of light.

Now that I think about it, Isaac is a jerk.
I... don't see the problem? What are you trying to get at? What "anti-hype"?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I doubt any Smash fan would experience "anti-hype" from a trailer with both Mewtwo and Isaac.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Hmm I believe that Matthew is a possibility but a very small one. Considering the fact that has been stated that Isaac is like the 'Marth' of the Golden Sun series and won't be easily forsaken for Matthew. It would indeed be weird if Isaac remains a trophy and Matthew jumps in as a challenger.

Second, in the 3rd game I really wanted to see a reunion of the old party. Considering how the game ended and the new party has almost completely disbanded already, I think playable Isaac, Felix plus other older members might have been on the cards. Well atleast I certainly hope so.

I wouldn't mind a Matthew costume but I would want Isaac to be announced, by name. I am one of those people who would mind Matthew being the challenger instead of his more iconic father (although his son is basically a clone, but still).

Even the creators of Golden Sun are unsure of the future despite that ending! Thus Isaac will be the one to make an entry!
I personally don't think it matters at all. If Lucina was once an alt for Marth who would have had her own voice and had her name said on the victory screen and everything, whether it's Isaac or Matthew that's chosen, they would probably have alts of each other anyway. The announcer would just say "Matthew!" instead of Isaac, or the other way around. Personally, I'd prefer Matthew since his outfit is much cooler than Isaac's, and Matthew getting more recognition and popularity would be good for Golden Sun going forward (since I hear if it were to continue, Matthew would be the protagonist still). Thinking about Golden Sun's future (if it has one), Matthew should be put up front with Isaac as his alt. Going by popularity and iconic status, Isaac should be put up front with Matthew as his alt. Either way, they both make it anyway. No big deal, really.

Last edited:

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
I... don't see the problem? What are you trying to get at? What "anti-hype"?
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Isaac should just have his own trailer. With the heavy handed want from both ridley and Mewtwo it'd be less of "This guy is awesome"/ "it is amazing that Isaac finally got in" and more of "oh yeah and there was that one gut in the Mewtwo trailer"/"oh, and there was also Isaac"

"Anti hype" was just bad wording.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
If we get Isaac in the game I don't think anyone should expect him to get a Matthew alt. I feel like Isaac getting a character slot is enough haha.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So, honesty time now, guys. What do you think Isaac's chances actually are?

I'm... I'm kind of doubtful. I don't think we've seen any teases or content from Golden Sun. No stages, no trophies, no music, nothing.

About the only thing we have going for us is the number of Assist Trophy reveals we've got going, without a reveal of Isaac.

I want him in. I want him in so badly. He would be awesome, and Golden Sun sorely needs the love. But I'm not sure.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I'm... I'm kind of doubtful. I don't think we've seen any teases or content from Golden Sun. No stages, no trophies, no music, nothing.

About the only thing we have going for us is the number of Assist Trophy reveals we've got going, without a reveal of Isaac.

I want him in. I want him in so badly. He would be awesome, and Golden Sun sorely needs the love. But I'm not sure.
No new franchise reps except for Little Mac have gotten teased even once. So I'm not worried about it.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i've been wondering, besides Isaac, do you think there could be another character alongside him from the Golden Sun series or do you guys think Isaac will be a standalone representative?

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
If we get Isaac in the game I don't think anyone should expect him to get a Matthew alt. I feel like Isaac getting a character slot is enough haha.
I assume you're referring to me, right? Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but I honestly don't think it'd be that hard to do. If Isaac did get in as playable, just have Matthew's outfit as an alternate costume. That's all really. If they're too lazy to do even that, then I don't know what to think. They pretty much look exactly the same, I'd think that a Matthew alt wouldn't take that much work. I could be wrong of course.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
How would you feel if the Isaac that got in is the older design from Dark Dawn?
I'd be surprised as well. Young Isaac is the most recognizable GS character. If they were to get a character from Dark Dawn instead, Adult Isaac wouldn't make much sense because he plays such a minor role in the game. It'd be sort of like putting in Greil instead of Ike.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'd be surprised as well. Young Isaac is the most recognizable GS character. If they were to get a character from Dark Dawn instead, Adult Isaac wouldn't make much sense because he plays such a minor role in the game. It'd be sort of like putting in Greil instead of Ike.
There'd also be the balance concerns. Adult Isaac has already absorbed some of the power of the Golden Sun, so he's far more broken than regular Isaac.

And that's saying something.

Ok, probably not a concern, but worth pointing out.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord

More likely than not he'll be a hidden assist trophy again, but it's hard to say since there aren't any hints either way.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Perhaps, but it's just that Matthew would probably be a not-so-hard costume to make, and it would help represent Dark Dawn.

However, seeing Link's alt that is supposed to be the beginning outfit from SS, and how it is simply a pallet swap, when it probably would have been even easier to do properly than making a Matthew alt for Isaac, certainly doesn't give me much hope.

In the end, I have a feeling that we're not going to see as many true alternate costumes as many of us are hoping for.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Perhaps, but it's just that Matthew would probably be a not-so-hard costume to make, and it would help represent Dark Dawn.

However, seeing Link's alt that is supposed to be the beginning outfit from SS, and how it is simply a pallet swap, when it probably would have been even easier to do properly than making a Matthew alt for Isaac, certainly doesn't give me much hope.

In the end, I have a feeling that we're not going to see as many true alternate costumes as many of us are hoping for.
Isn't Pink Hoodie Little Mac an alternate model?

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
There'd also be the balance concerns. Adult Isaac has already absorbed some of the power of the Golden Sun, so he's far more broken than regular Isaac.

Well I would say that this point is not necessarily true. I do want the younger version of Isaac to be introduced in the game, but I would still be really happy if his adult self is introduced in the game which I still think is unlikely as younger Isaac has been the poster boy of the series (and then his face plastered onto Matthew's) .

We are told by the Wise One that he has absorbed a portion of the Golden Sun, the Mars portion due to the Wise One's altering of the Mars Star's properties, but it is never told whether Isaac has himself realized this or learned to use this hidden power. Alex's goal was to use this power so he can probably utilize his but Isaac has been looking for the Wise One ever since (who besides Alex is the only one to know about his hidden power) and we also didn't get an indication of his super increased powers in Dark Dawn. He did detect Tyrell in the valley but those were just his earth adept powers.

I am still hopeful due to the fact that Isaac has NOT been announced as an assist trophy yet. Also Golden Sun 1 was one of the first games released for GBA Virtual Console, showing that Nintendo still realizes that this game was one of the best if not THE best of the GBA generation. Also Golden Sun 2 is launching in Japan as another VC release. This recognition shows that Golden Sun is still remembered and thus still stands a chance to be included. Especially Isaac due to his earlier cameo in Smash.

Plus we are here to root for him!

Last edited:

bassem6

Smash Lord

To be honest, I don't think his chances are that great. Maybe 30%? Don't get me wrong, he is my most wanted newcomer but I think it's better to be pessimistic and surprised as opposed to hopeful and disappointed.

Here's how I look at it: I think a new DK rep, Ridley and Mewtwo would all be included over Isaac. So if we have at least 4 more newcomers available (yes I know mewtwo is a vet, pls no semantics arguments) then Isaac could have a chance.

I definitely think Isaac deserves to be playable but I know Sakurai can be a bit weird with the newcomer choices and series representation (mother getting 2 in brawl, star fox getting 3, Fire emblem getting 4 in smash 4) and that is why I'm not holding my breath for Isaac. I really really want him to be playable though and I think the fact that he wasn't revealed along with the other memorable assist trophies bodes somewhat well for his chances :)

Destroyer713

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I don't think his chances are that great. Maybe 30%? Don't get me wrong, he is my most wanted newcomer but I think it's better to be pessimistic and surprised as opposed to hopeful and disappointed.

Here's how I look at it: I think a new DK rep, Ridley and Mewtwo would all be included over Isaac. So if we have at least 4 more newcomers available (yes I know mewtwo is a vet, pls no semantics arguments) then Isaac could have a chance.

I definitely think Isaac deserves to be playable but I know Sakurai can be a bit weird with the newcomer choices and series representation (mother getting 2 in brawl, star fox getting 3, Fire emblem getting 4 in smash 4) and that is why I'm not holding my breath for Isaac. I really really want him to be playable though and I think the fact that he wasn't revealed along with the other memorable assist trophies bodes somewhat well for his chances :)
There's also potentially Shulk and a Rhythm Heaven rep getting in before Isaac as well (Monolith Soft retweeting everything about Smash 4 is fishy, and the presence of the Sneak Spirity in Smash Run points to RH getting a playable rep).

Don't get me wrong, I want Isaac just as much as anyone else in this thread (Though I'd rather have Felix, he's got no chance compared to Isaac, honestly), but beyond the lack of an Isaac AT and move-set potential, I really don't see much in his favor.

Maybe I'm just trying to keep my hopes low so if Isaac doesn't wind up playable, I'm not as disappointed. Maybe he'll wind up playable, but I just see too many other newcomers or returning vets who would likely get in before him.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
A bit late for this, but I liked the inclusion of Prince Sable as an Assist Trophy. It means Nintendo is reaching out for more obscure characters for ATs, meaning the more prominent ones might have been bumped to playable, like Little Mac was.

At least, that's how I relate a completely random POTD to Isaac. :p

ZeldaPrime

Smash Rookie

Could we tag spoilers? I haven't played Lost Age yet but what you mention is already something not too surprising, but I would've been sad if you spoiled something else. Anyways, I'll be happy with any Golden Sun representative, but I'd prefer Isaac.

Edit: nearly read more spoilers here, abandoning until NOA puts Lost Age on eShop.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
You know, a thought just occurred to me... What if Isaac's Special Attacks consisted solely of utility psynergies, whilst his Smash Attacks, Aerial Attacks, and Tilt Attacks consisted mainly of battle psynergies? I randomly threw together this basic moveset.

• Standard Special (Move): Isaac conjures a giant psychic hand that pushes opponents away as well as blocks projectiles.
• Side Special (Growth): Isaac conjures a batch of thorny vines that ensnare and entangle the opponent whilst damaging them repeatedly. The distance at which the vines appear can be adjusted. In the air, this move can be used as a tether recovery.
• Up Special (Retreat): Similar to Zelda, Isaac teleports in the desired direction.
• Down Special (Grind): With an unseen force, Isaac burrows the opponent into the ground whilst damaging them several times.

I thought of the move Sand at first, but in the end did not really see how it would be all that different from Greninja's Shadow Sneak attack. [Shrugs] Then again, in a way Grind is not all that different from Donkey Kong's side special.

I am starting to think the Djinn might be better off as either items or Smash Run enemies. It's just really hard to think of an imaginative way to incorporate them, whilst keeping it simple and easy to understand, and without it taking up a large portion of Isaac's moveset.

I really hope Isaac will be a lot like Palutena, in that he is a heavyweight long-range magick user.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I never really liked the idea of having Retreat as Isaac's recovery as I think he is capable of having something more unique and intriguing than another teleport recovery, like the idea of using Quake or the recovery idea I proposed in my moveset.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I never really liked the idea of having Retreat as Isaac's recovery as I think he is capable of having something more unique and intriguing than another teleport recovery, like the idea of using Quake or the recovery idea I proposed in my moveset.
I really, REALLY like the idea of Isaac levitating a boulder underneath him. I'm thinking Terra from Teen Titans kind of thing (the cartoon version not from "Go!" :p).

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I assume you're referring to me, right? Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but I honestly don't think it'd be that hard to do. If Isaac did get in as playable, just have Matthew's outfit as an alternate costume. That's all really. If they're too lazy to do even that, then I don't know what to think. They pretty much look exactly the same, I'd think that a Matthew alt wouldn't take that much work. I could be wrong of course.
With Isaac, they can at least use the Brawl Assist Trophy as a base. I don't think they'll go out of their way to make a character design for Matthew unless if they already had him as a Smash 4 Assist Trophy.

With all of the Kid Icarus stuff in this game (Palutena & Dark Pit in some capacity, 15 smash run enemies, 6 items, 2 confirmed stages, 2 confirmed assist trophies, etc), I'm a bit concerned there might be some bias on Sakurai's part... I mean, bias enough to prioritize some of his characters over characters from unrepresented series like Golden Sun and Advanced Wars. I could see Bandana Dee or Dark Pit as a clone getting into the game over Isaac simply based on what we've had revealed so far.

It's unfortunate, but ultimately I think it comes down to whether or not Sakurai played (and liked) Golden Sun between Brawl and Smash 4. He already said that Robin was introduced because he played Fire Emblem and immediately thought of a moveset for him. If he played Golden Sun it's likely he also immediately came up with a moveset for Isaac due to how much there is in the game for him to use.

Last edited:

DivinexRose

Smash Cadet
There's also potentially Shulk and a Rhythm Heaven rep getting in before Isaac as well (Monolith Soft retweeting everything about Smash 4 is fishy, and the presence of the Sneak Spirity in Smash Run points to RH getting a playable rep).

Don't get me wrong, I want Isaac just as much as anyone else in this thread (Though I'd rather have Felix, he's got no chance compared to Isaac, honestly), but beyond the lack of an Isaac AT and move-set potential, I really don't see much in his favor.

Maybe I'm just trying to keep my hopes low so if Isaac doesn't wind up playable, I'm not as disappointed. Maybe he'll wind up playable, but I just see too many other newcomers or returning vets who would likely get in before him.
Don't worry, mate, I'm pretty much on the same boat as you on that last statement.

However, keep in mind that just because Sneaky Spirits are Smash Run enemies, it doesn't 100% mean an RH character's gonna be there. By following that logic, we'd be wondering where our Pilotwings and Nintendogs reps are since they have a stage as well.

And if I were a Shulk fan, unless something good happens this month and I'm wrong (which is possible), I'd think twice before thinking he's in at this point because there's a chance he MIGHT be an AT as well.

This isn't to defend Isaac as the same statements can be said about him, of course. :p A small part of me hopes we get a break, but not so much.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
with all factors considered I would say he has a solid 80% chance
Even I think that's a bit high, I'd give him a 70%, and I tend to be a bit generous. I have been rethinking my comparisons between Shulk and Isaac, though, and am thinking now that Isaac is more likely to be in over Shulk.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
I really, REALLY like the idea of Isaac levitating a boulder underneath him. I'm thinking Terra from Teen Titans kind of thing (the cartoon version not from "Go!" :p).
Agreed. I'd love to see him lift himself up with a boulder. It'd be cool if the boulder hovered in the air for a few seconds, acting as a temporary platform, before falling.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Don't worry, mate, I'm pretty much on the same boat as you on that last statement.

However, keep in mind that just because Sneaky Spirits are Smash Run enemies, it doesn't 100% mean an RH character's gonna be there. By following that logic, we'd be wondering where our Pilotwings and Nintendogs reps are since they have a stage as well.

And if I were a Shulk fan, unless something good happens this month and I'm wrong (which is possible), I'd think twice before thinking he's in at this point because there's a chance he MIGHT be an AT as well.

This isn't to defend Isaac as the same statements can be said about him, of course. :p A small part of me hopes we get a break, but not so much.
Well, I agree. If you don't mind me saying, I would hope Isaac is in since he doesn't have much against him at the moment. BTW, I would actually like to see a Pilot Wings rep:ohwell:,preferably Lark from Pilot Wings 64.:rolleyes:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Agreed. I'd love to see him lift himself up with a boulder. It'd be cool if the boulder hovered in the air for a few seconds, acting as a temporary platform, before falling.
Yea that'd be cool and considering he can do a lot with Earth that is actually possible but just not shown in the games. I would love it if they also include moves from bi-element and tri-element classes. Then we could represent all the elements by Isaac alone! Although that would dilute his earth moveset somewhat but give a representation of all forms of psynergy!

He should still have move though as homage to his earlier assist trophy appearance. We can have Thunderstorm from Ninja series. Or Quick Strike from Ronin. Or he could just unleash Meggido!

This guy is a really good candidate. I hope Sakurai has already realized this and treats this awesome game and character properly.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
It might. The assist trophy attack came first.

By the way, awesome avatar :D
Thanks.

And yeah, I think there is a much higher chance of two playable characters sharing a similar move, compared to an AT and playable character sharing a move.

I personally am not a fan of Golden Sun. I will say, however, I feel he is in the lead for the last slot on my roster. Ahead of Andy and Ghiriham.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Thanks.

And yeah, I think there is a much higher chance of two playable characters sharing a similar move, compared to an AT and playable character sharing a move.

I personally am not a fan of Golden Sun. I will say, however, I feel he is in the lead for the last slot on my roster. Ahead of Andy and Ghiriham.
Each person to his own :D I love Golden Sun and like playing it again and again. Even the relatively mediocre Dark Dawn was good and the first 2 games were excellent. Atleast Isaac is in the lead for your last slot, haha :D

Too bad Lucina got added as the 4th Fire Emblem character without much variation from Marth. Would have loved to see some other unique character. Especially from Tellius. Path of Radiance is my favourite FE game followed by Radiant Dawn!

Well now we have enough characters from FE (sadly the roster can't have more without compromising other characters) so now Isaac deserves a chance considering Golden Sun was really popular, epic and it sold in similar numbers to Fire Emblem, maybe even more. Best game on GBA in my opinion followed by Golden Sun 2 then Advance Wars and Fire Emblem!

By the way, is your forum name based on a manga/anime?

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Each person to his own :D I love Golden Sun and like playing it again and again. Even the relatively mediocre Dark Dawn was good and the first 2 games were excellent. Atleast Isaac is in the lead for your last slot, haha :D

Too bad Lucina got added as the 4th Fire Emblem character without much variation from Marth. Would have loved to see some other unique character. Especially from Tellius. Path of Radiance is my favourite FE game followed by Radiant Dawn!

Well now we have enough characters from FE (sadly the roster can't have more without compromising other characters) so now Isaac deserves a chance considering Golden Sun was really popular, epic and it sold in similar numbers to Fire Emblem, maybe even more. Best game on GBA in my opinion followed by Golden Sun 2 then Advance Wars and Fire Emblem!

By the way, is your forum name based on a manga/anime?
Yeah, I was hoping Micaiah would be in. I love Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance. But oh well, Lucina and Robin are pretty much the only two characters from Awakening I like, so it's ok.

I haven't played Golden Sun, but I might try it one day. If he does get in, there is a large chance I will.

And yes, it's from K-On, my favorite anime and manga.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yeah, I was hoping Micaiah would be in. I love Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance. But oh well, Lucina and Robin are pretty much the only two characters from Awakening I like, so it's ok.

I haven't played Golden Sun, but I might try it one day. If he does get in, there is a large chance I will.

And yes, it's from K-On, my favorite anime and manga.
You should play Golden Sun, and The Lost Age. They're fantastic little games set in an incredible world and with some really well executed game mechanics.

See, this is why Isaac needs to be in the game. Because Golden Sun needs more love.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You should play Golden Sun, and The Lost Age. They're fantastic little games set in an incredible world and with some really well executed game mechanics.

See, this is why Isaac needs to be in the game. Because Golden Sun needs more love.
The question is though, will we ever see a new Golden Sun game? He and Andy are in a strange position. They both are somewhat relevant, but their more recent games in their respective series have both been flops. That's their only problem with them getting in, I think.

Top Bottom