• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

D

Deleted member

Ok riddle me this, if they're making these Mario Tennis games, why not include Golden Sun characters in them?

Square included Final Fantasy characters in Mario Sports mix, so don't you dare say it would be weird to have the adepts play tennis if we already seen two mages, and a ninja play Basketball, Hockey and get this they were playing Volleyball and Dodgeball.

Now it definitely doesn't sound too weird to have Golden Sun characters in Mario Tennis, they should of had them dlc instead of stupid Yoshis and Metal Mario, that was so stupid, I still punish Yoshi by beating up on him for ruining Open's QR potential, that stupid loser dinosaur horse thing.
Valid argument. Now I know that one of the Tennis games (Advance Tour) feature Golden Sun animations, but I do agree that they should have had Isaac make an appearance or something. Of course, one can also argue that the "standards' department is different between SquareEnix and Camelot, I dunno.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If they show just Move without the actual character using it, I'd say that confirms Isaac as playable, because that goes right into TEASING territory.
"Pic of the day. This giant magical hand here that you see is coming from an Assist Trophy that you cannot see. I wonder who it is?"

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I've been dreaming of Isaac in smash for over 12 years.
You most certainly aren't alone! As have I. Ever since I first played Golden Sun back in 2002, I have seen Isaac as a picture-perfect fit for Super Smash Bros., and also one that can bring a lot of variety.

Such a shame he has only been seen as an Assist Trophy so far. =(

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
You most certainly aren't alone! As have I. Ever since I first played Golden Sun back in 2002, I have seen Isaac as a picture-perfect fit for Super Smash Bros., and also one that can bring a lot of variety.

Same here. The day I learned about Smash Bros. after finishing Golden Sun, I wanted Isaac in the game. He is such an awesome candidate and has been ignored for too long. He was left out of Melee due to some reason, then got in as only an Assist Trophy in Brawl and now there is no sign of him whatsoever!

I agree with the other people. Sakurai is going to troll us before we get a glimpse of the Earth Shaking Adept.

I remember playing Mario Tennis Power Tour after Golden Sun and seeing that they borrowed a lot of animations and stuff from the GS games.

Nintendo should and must realize Isaac as a top contender for a Brawl entry. As well as the main character of the next GS game. Not his clone, but the real legend himself.

D

Deleted member

You can add me to that list. I was imagining a new Smash Bros. for years after Melee and expecting Isaac's involvement.

So, you can understand how I felt back in 2007 when Brawl came out in Japan... and Isaac was an Assist Trophy.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Same here. The day I learned about Smash Bros. after finishing Golden Sun, I wanted Isaac in the game. He is such an awesome candidate and has been ignored for too long. He was left out of Melee due to some reason, then got in as only an Assist Trophy in Brawl and now there is no sign of him whatsoever!

I agree with the other people. Sakurai is going to troll us before we get a glimpse of the Earth Shaking Adept.

I remember playing Mario Tennis Power Tour after Golden Sun and seeing that they borrowed a lot of animations and stuff from the GS games.

Nintendo should and must realize Isaac as a top contender for a Brawl entry. As well as the main character of the next GS game. Not his clone, but the real legend himself.
That destroyed a lot of people, me being one of them, I was so hyped for Isaac back then, and then, well, that happened.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
That destroyed a lot of people, me being one of them, I was so hyped for Isaac back then, and then, well, that happened.
I know those feelings really well.

Well we have no need to get all bummed out over the past games. Let's just keep waiting for Isaac to be revealed in SSB4! He will be my main for sure no matter what!

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Add me to that list of supporters. I had a dream of him being confirmed and while I was never a fan of him, that dream changed my mind.

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
That leak posted on the last page would literally make the game too perfect…so perfect is has to be fake… :urg:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
There's this site I check every so often that reports any new "leaks" that may or may not be true on a weekly basis. This week, there's a new leak and it is one of the FEW that I have seen that has Isaac as a playable character. It came in two parts:

http://ssb4dojo.com/post/93839860976/rumor-mill-jon-leak

http://ssb4dojo.com/post/93992237481/rumor-mill-jon-2-leak

While I really don't think this leak is true, I would be quite happy if those were the remaining newcomers (only thing it's missing is playable Ridley) and it's cool that somebody finally mentioned Isaac in a "leak" haha.
The only thing that makes this rumor fake is that the translation team is professional and all of them work strictly in America with them being sent updates constantly. No one works close with Sakurai to work on translation. As much as I'd like to believe it, I can't.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

"Sakurai added Goku into the game as an Assist Trophy, Goku from the NES game Yūyūki which was never released outside of Japan. He jumps around using his staff to hit people. When asked why he added him into the game Sakurai replied, “I’ve heard a lot of people asking for Goku, but we couldn’t make him a playable character, so I figured Assist Trophy was the next best thing.”

I hope this is true. This is absolutely genius.

Edit: Holy ****, what if Goku is playable just because Sakurai thinks that the fans only mention Nintendo characters and he thinks Goku is the NES character, so he uses Goku as the retro character. It's GENIUS.

Last edited:

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Okay, here's a random idea. Isaac's smash attacks release Djinns, but the more djinns in which he releases, the weaker he will get in terms of speed, resistance, and attack power. But the less djinns he has, the more powerful his final smash is. If he has used 1 smash attack, his final smash is Venus, 2 is Ramses, 3 is Cybele, and 4 is Judgment. The only problem I would see with this is the times when the smash ball is disabled in a match.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Okay, here's a random idea. Isaac's smash attacks release Djinns, but the more djinns in which he releases, the weaker he will get in terms of speed, resistance, and attack power. But the less djinns he has, the more powerful his final smash is. If he has used 1 smash attack, his final smash is Venus, 2 is Ramses, 3 is Cybele, and 4 is Judgment. The only problem I would see with this is the times when the smash ball is disabled in a match.
It also makes him the only person with a variable Final Smash. Why bother fighting for the Smash Ball if you haven't built up any Djinn? Or you win it and then have to survive long enough to unleash several smash attacks to make it worthwhile?

I agree that a summon would be his Final Smash, but it just wouldn't work tied in to his core gameplay like that.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The only thing that makes this rumor fake is that the translation team is professional and all of them work strictly in America with them being sent updates constantly. No one works close with Sakurai to work on translation. As much as I'd like to believe it, I can't.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

"Sakurai added Goku into the game as an Assist Trophy, Goku from the NES game Yūyūki which was never released outside of Japan. He jumps around using his staff to hit people. When asked why he added him into the game Sakurai replied, “I’ve heard a lot of people asking for Goku, but we couldn’t make him a playable character, so I figured Assist Trophy was the next best thing.”

I hope this is true. This is absolutely genius.

Edit: Holy ****, what if Goku is playable just because Sakurai thinks that the fans only mention Nintendo characters and he thinks Goku is the NES character, so he uses Goku as the retro character. It's GENIUS.
That's the main reason I find this leak hard to believe. It reeks of somebody sitting down trying to think of a funny joke to put in their leak. Also I doubt leaks would contain interviews with Sakurai.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
That's the main reason I find this leak hard to believe. It reeks of somebody sitting down trying to think of a funny joke to put in their leak. Also I doubt leaks would contain interviews with Sakurai.
Thing about is that he said that she works close to Sakurai as a translator. That's when I figured out it was just... not realistic in the slightest.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Check this out guys. One of Palutena's side special's is basically move. I would think that helps Isaac out, since a few of her moves seem similar to other character's specials.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Check this out guys. One of Palutena's side special's is basically move. I would think that helps Isaac out, since a few of her moves seem similar to other character's specials.

We've been talking about this for a while now. :p

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Yeah I posted that earlier.

It doesn't really say much for Isaac but at least we know the mechanics behind the move are in the game. It's also interesting that if Isaac is an assist again he'd share his ability with the move of a playable character. Has that ever happened before?

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Been really busy at work today (and this week!) so I guess I haven't kept up to date! Still, what's the consensus thought on this?
Looking at the moves Palutena has it's actually quite interesting how many remind me of other characters. (Luigi, Marth, Villager, Zelda, Sonic) Maybe Palutena is actually a super clone and we don't realise it yet?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It doesn't really say much for Isaac but at least we know the mechanics behind the move are in the game. It's also interesting that if Isaac is an assist again he'd share his ability with the move of a playable character. Has that ever happened before?
MK's down and side specials seem about as close to Lyn and Jill respectively as this attack does to Isaac.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
There's this site I check every so often that reports any new "leaks" that may or may not be true on a weekly basis. This week, there's a new leak and it is one of the FEW that I have seen that has Isaac as a playable character. It came in two parts:

http://ssb4dojo.com/post/93839860976/rumor-mill-jon-leak

http://ssb4dojo.com/post/93992237481/rumor-mill-jon-2-leak

While I really don't think this leak is true, I would be quite happy if those were the remaining newcomers (only thing it's missing is playable Ridley) and it's cool that somebody finally mentioned Isaac in a "leak" haha.
Half of my brain wants to believe this so hard... but the other half is the realistic one and knows it won't happen :(
What a dilemma.

The use of Isaac's AT abitliy in Palutena's side special is somewhat intriguing.
All we can do is hope and wait for the next direct.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
That "leak" is so obviously fake (unfortunately) and I doubt that there's much to infer from Palutena's moves.

C'mon Sakurai, just tell us what it's going to be.
or
?

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Lol I hope the leak is fake because if too many people believe it than Sakurai's not gonna add Isaac. XD

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Interesting. I just hope the part about Isaac is true, leak or no leak since we have been rooting for Isaac as a playable character since Nintendo made him a trophy in Brawl rather than playable in Melee AND Brawl.
Some of us have been rooting for Isaac before he was announced as an Assist Trophy. Actually I'm pretty sure we're the reason he became an Assist Trophy in the first place :p

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I'm not too worried about Isaac right now. Leak or no leak. Sakurai doesn't seem to like false hype, because if people are hyping up a character and he knows they're not in, he just outright disconfirms them in a pic of the day or something (R.I.P Takamaru). Isaac has not been shown in any videos featuring assists trophies, he has not been spotted in the demo, and seems to be mysteriously absent altogether. People use the "Isaac was a hidden assist trophy in Brawl" thing to discredit anything that can be pulled from this, but I think Shadow was a hidden assist trophy as well and he was clearly shown in the demo. Also, this game isn't Brawl, so I don't think the hidden assist trophies in that game mean much for SSB4. In fact, some might not even be returning.

Point is, Isaac has not been disconfirmed by Sakurai after all the chances he's had to do so, which leads me to believe Isaac is indeed playable. I could be wrong, of course, but...I don't know.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm not too worried about Isaac right now. Leak or no leak. Sakurai doesn't seem to like false hype, because if people are hyping up a character and he knows they're not in, he just outright disconfirms them in a pic of the day or something (R.I.P Takamaru). Isaac has not been shown in any videos featuring assists trophies, he has not been spotted in the demo, and seems to be mysteriously absent altogether. People use the "Isaac was a hidden assist trophy in Brawl" thing to discredit anything that can be pulled from this, but I think Shadow was a hidden assist trophy as well and he was clearly shown in the demo. Also, this game isn't Brawl, so I don't think the hidden assist trophies in that game mean much for SSB4. In fact, some might not even be returning.

Point is, Isaac has not been disconfirmed by Sakurai after all the chances he's had to do so, which leads me to believe Isaac is indeed playable. I could be wrong, of course, but...I don't know.
Please don't jynx it...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

That's the thing though. If we had heard anything about Golden Sun, it would be building false hype. We haven't heard anything about it, which isn't the same. We're doing all the hype-building here.

Oh, I hope he's in. What it would mean for Smash, and Golden Sun. It would be glorious.

C'mon Nintendo. You guys KNOW that the 3DS is ruling the JRPG genre. You guys have done so well with Fire Emblem Awakening, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Bravely Default... This is the time. Give us a video reveal of Golden Sun IV, and end it with the reveal of Isaac in Smash.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
That's the thing though. If we had heard anything about Golden Sun, it would be building false hype. We haven't heard anything about it, which isn't the same. We're doing all the hype-building here.

Oh, I hope he's in. What it would mean for Smash, and Golden Sun. It would be glorious.

C'mon Nintendo. You guys KNOW that the 3DS is ruling the JRPG genre. You guys have done so well with Fire Emblem Awakening, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Bravely Default... This is the time. Give us a video reveal of Golden Sun IV, and end it with the reveal of Isaac in Smash.
I mean that Isaac himself is a much requested, much hyped character in general. I'm sure even Sakurai knows this. Because of Isaac's popularity, I believe he's going to be in the game in some form. The question is, in WHAT form. The fact that Isaac has not been shown yet at all gives me hope that he's playable. But, as ferioku said, I may be jinxing it here.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I can somewhat understand what he's saying. You'd think the AT's people had a legit chance of being playable this time would've been disconfirmed or announced already in some fashion. Waluigi was the first AT disconfirmed (Ashley was the first AT announced, but she wasn't in Brawl), and Isaac is way up their on the list of AT's likely to be playable. The fact that he hasn't been announced as an AT yet is helpful.

ferioku

Smash Ace
The thing that annoys me about Sakurai is how he decomfirms the characters, he literally trolls the fan base... Look at what he did to Takamaru!

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Waluigi and Chrom definitely got the harshest de-confirmations out of everyone. I really hope Isaac doesn't meet the same fate.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The thing that annoys me about Sakurai is how he decomfirms the characters, he literally trolls the fan base... Look at what he did to Takamaru!
People should also realize that any non-veteran character shown in a Pic of the Day is not playable. They've never been playable, and the one time we had a newcomer announced on a regular day it was announced in advance and livestreamed.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
People should also realize that any non-veteran character shown in a Pic of the Day is not playable. They've never been playable, and the one time we had a newcomer announced on a regular day it was announced in advance and livestreamed.
To be accurate that was an announcement for the announcement of a newcomer

ferioku

Smash Ace
But how he trolled them T_T

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Add me to that list of supporters. I had a dream of him being confirmed and while I was never a fan of him, that dream changed my mind.
Talking about this, to be honest, last night I also actually dreamed that Isaac had joined Smash Bros. 4 haha. As in I saw the reveal in a dream but don't remember much of it but atleast that much. Maybe I am being too obsessed about this.. Well hope it comes true :D

Agreeing with other people, Isaac is one of the few highly demanded characters (sadly not as popular as Ridley, but still quite demanded, look at the size of this thread) that has not been teased yet, outright dis-confirmed or anything related to him has been seen as of yet.

Well I hope it means that Sakurai is hoping to surprise us all with his newcomer challenger reveal. He is the rep I have been wanting in Smash since nearly a decade!

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Talking about this, to be honest, last night I also actually dreamed that Isaac had joined Smash Bros. 4 haha. As in I saw the reveal in a dream but don't remember much of it but atleast that much. Maybe I am being too obsessed about this.. Well hope it comes true :D

Agreeing with other people, Isaac is one of the few highly demanded characters (sadly not as popular as Ridley, but still quite demanded, look at the size of this thread) that has not been teased yet, outright dis-confirmed or anything related to him has been seen as of yet.

Well I hope it means that Sakurai is hoping to surprise us all with his newcomer challenger reveal. He is the rep I have been wanting in Smash since nearly a decade!
If we're going by thread size, K. Rool, frelling Bandana Dee, and especially Shulk are all more highly demanded than Isaac, and Krystal is very close.

Now, a lot of the threads have a lot of the same people posting over and over again, but I don't actually know how heavily requested Isaac is. Heck, last time I checked that weird thread overviewing the "wanted in" list, I think Dixie Kong was higher than Isaac (that thing is hard to follow though, so I'm not sure).

I know Mewtwo is the most highly requested character of all, and the highest requested in Japan. I know Ridley is the highest requested in the US. Beyond that, though, I just don't know.

Golden Sun, as awesome as it is, is slowly losing relevance. If Isaac doesn't get in here, I'm not sure he ever will. Without the help, I'm not sure the Golden Sun will ever shine again. We only have a few more weeks until release. Each day that ticks by is another lost chance at a newcomer. When we saw the Robin reveal, I was sure we'd have two more trailers as we neared the release day. Now I'm thinking we'll only get one. The chances to put everyone's favorite Venus Adept are dwindling away.

The edges of Weyard are crumbling away over Gaia Falls. Each step further takes the world closer to destruction. Isaac carries our hope for a brighter future. But he has vanished, and the Lighthouse Beacons remain unlit. How much longer can we hold on? How long until the abyss consumes our last refuge?

And so the world began drifting towards its fated destruction.

I'm sorry, I'm just sort of falling to despair on this issue right now. I love this series. Heck, it cost me a semester of college, the only video game I've ever cut class for. I don't want it to die. Even as inferior as Dark Dawn may have been, I still had a blast playing it. I still loved the Psynergy puzzles, hunting down the Djinn, finding the best classes and weapons, finding the summons, exploring the world, talking to people... It's such a fantastic series, and I can't help but feel that this may be the end of it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't go by thread size to determine comparative popularity. Like you said, a lot of the threads contain avid supporters who are constantly active, while inversely there are popular characters who just have a more quiet fanbase. Little Mac and Palutena were prime examples of this pre-respective reveals.

Aggregate polls are generally the best way to gauge popularity, but keep in mind it's only gauging the demographic that discusses Smash online.

In general, Dixie would be more popular than Isaac, because she's more well-known by the casual demo, which is huge. However with Smash everything is disproportionate, so best not to think too much into it. Isaac is a popular character, though nowadays his demand stems almost entirely from the online fanbase, not the general one.

Arteen

Smash Lord
If we're going by thread size, K. Rool, frelling Bandana Dee, and especially Shulk are all more highly demanded than Isaac, and Krystal is very close.
Looking at the thread sizes:
Ridley at ~60,000 (Hugely popular with a "too big to fail" mentality.)
Shulk at ~15,000 (The most popular newcomer franchise. Surprisingly, it was on par with the Isaac thread until the Gematsu leak.)
K Rool at ~15,000 (Incredibly popular.)
Fire Emblem general discussion at ~9,000 (I'm pretty sure FE fans should be happy with the four characters in the game already.)
Bandana Dee at ~5,000 (I have no idea why he's so popular, but the current trio of Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight has that franchise well-covered.)
Isaac at ~4,500 (Second most popular newcomer franchise. I hear he's a cool dude.)
Krystal at ~4,500 (A definite contender and has always had a sizable fanbase.).
Chrom at ~4,000 (But he's out).
Takamaru at ~3,500 (And he's out too).

Honestly Isaac is not really that far down the list. If it weren't for Shulk's spike in popularity from the leak, Golden Sun and Xenoblade would be tied for new franchise popularity. Assuming Ridley's a boss, Fire Emblem's fully revealed, and Kirby remains with the Brawl trio, Isaac's sitting high as the number three remaining potential newcomer.

Obviously, this is a very rough way to measure demand (edit: as N3ON indicated as well), but Golden Sun definitely has an enduring popularity. Isaac's more popular than he has any right to be considering his "golden age" was over a decade ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom