• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wouldn't go by thread size to determine comparative popularity. Like you said, a lot of the threads contain avid supporters who are constantly active, while adversely there are popular characters who just have a more quiet fanbase. Little Mac and Palutena were prime examples of this pre-respective reveals.

Aggregate polls are generally the best way to gauge popularity, but keep in mind it's only gauging the demographic that discusses Smash online.

In general, Dixie would be more popular than Isaac, because she's more well-known by the casual demo, which is huge. However with Smash everything is disproportionate, so best not to think too much into it. Isaac is a popular character, though nowadays his demand stems almost entirely from the online fanbase, not the general one.
Isaac tends to consistently be one of the top ten most wanted, but towards the bottom of the top 10. With recent confirmations he may have risen. I remember seeing a poll a while back, though, and Isaac was on par with Shulk between about 3-5. Naturally the polls are always topped with Ridley and K. Rool.

Looking at the thread sizes:
Ridley at ~60,000 (Hugely popular with a "too big to fail" mentality.)
Shulk at ~15,000 (The most popular newcomer franchise. Surprisingly, it was on par with the Isaac thread until the Gematsu leak.)
K Rool at ~15,000 (Incredibly popular.)
Fire Emblem general discussion at ~9,000 (I'm pretty sure FE fans should be happy with the four characters in the game already.)
Bandana Dee at ~5,000 (I have no idea why he's so popular, but the current trio of Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight has that franchise well-covered.)
Isaac at ~4,500 (Second most popular newcomer franchise. I hear he's a cool dude.)
Krystal at ~4,500 (A definite contender and has always had a sizable fanbase.).
Chrom at ~4,000 (But he's out).
Takamaru at ~3,500 (And he's out too).

Honestly Isaac is not really that far down the list. If it weren't for Shulk's spike in popularity from the leak, Golden Sun and Xenoblade would be tied for new franchise popularity. Assuming Ridley's a boss, Fire Emblem's fully revealed, and Kirby remains with the Brawl trio, Isaac's sitting high as the number three remaining potential newcomer.

Obviously, this is a very rough way to measure demand (edit: as N3ON indicated as well), but Golden Sun definitely has an enduring popularity. Isaac's more popular than he has any right to be considering his "golden age" was over a decade ago.
The FE general discussion thread was created way before we got the FE trailer.

And yeah, Shulk became more active due to the leaks and have basically descent into madness like the Ridley thread, which is how it managed to pass K. Rool. K. Rool's thread tends to be a bit less active, as people only really comment when others come in to support K. Rool or we get things that benefit K. Rool. We tend not to go off-topic all that much at all, hence why Shulk managed to bypass us. Shulk would've never passed K. Rool otherwise.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Shulk at ~15,000 (The most popular newcomer franchise. Surprisingly, it was on par with the Isaac thread until the Gematsu leak.)
Fire Emblem general discussion at ~9,000 (I'm pretty sure FE fans should be happy with the four characters in the game already.)
Bandana Dee at ~5,000 (I have no idea why he's so popular, but the current trio of Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight has that franchise well-covered.)
Isaac at ~4,500 (Second most popular newcomer franchise. I hear he's a cool dude.)

Honestly Isaac is not really that far down the list. If it weren't for Shulk's spike in popularity from the leak, Golden Sun and Xenoblade would be tied for new franchise popularity. Assuming Ridley's a boss, Fire Emblem's fully revealed, and Kirby remains with the Brawl trio, Isaac's sitting high as the number three remaining potential newcomer.

Obviously, this is a very rough way to measure demand (edit: as N3ON indicated as well), but Golden Sun definitely has an enduring popularity. Isaac's more popular than he has any right to be considering his "golden age" was over a decade ago.
Yea thread size is not a very accurate way of measuring popularity but to some extent it does display demand for the character. I have seen many polls for Smash Bros. 4 characters and Isaac is 4th or 5th in demands all the time. With Megaman usually the first who has been announced, Little Mac often mentioned who has also been included along with K. Rool and Shulk. His popularity may be on the decline but Golden Sun is still hanging on. Without a reveal in Smash 4 or a new game, this might not be true for Smash 5. This is a do or die opportunity for Golden Sun! Gosh that is depressing,

If we're going by thread size, K. Rool, frelling Bandana Dee, and especially Shulk are all more highly demanded than Isaac, and Krystal is very close.

Now, a lot of the threads have a lot of the same people posting over and over again, but I don't actually know how heavily requested Isaac is. Heck, last time I checked that weird thread overviewing the "wanted in" list, I think Dixie Kong was higher than Isaac (that thing is hard to follow though, so I'm not sure).

I know Mewtwo is the most highly requested character of all, and the highest requested in Japan. I know Ridley is the highest requested in the US. Beyond that, though, I just don't know.

Golden Sun, as awesome as it is, is slowly losing relevance. If Isaac doesn't get in here, I'm not sure he ever will. Without the help, I'm not sure the Golden Sun will ever shine again. We only have a few more weeks until release. Each day that ticks by is another lost chance at a newcomer. When we saw the Robin reveal, I was sure we'd have two more trailers as we neared the release day. Now I'm thinking we'll only get one. The chances to put everyone's favorite Venus Adept are dwindling away.

The edges of Weyard are crumbling away over Gaia Falls. Each step further takes the world closer to destruction. Isaac carries our hope for a brighter future. But he has vanished, and the Lighthouse Beacons remain unlit. How much longer can we hold on? How long until the abyss consumes our last refuge?

I'm sorry, I'm just sort of falling to despair on this issue right now. I love this series. Heck, it cost me a semester of college, the only video game I've ever cut class for. I don't want it to die. Even as inferior as Dark Dawn may have been, I still had a blast playing it. I still loved the Psynergy puzzles, hunting down the Djinn, finding the best classes and weapons, finding the summons, exploring the world, talking to people... It's such a fantastic series, and I can't help but feel that this may be the end of it.
I totally feel you bro. Golden Sun is the only RPG series which has captured my interest for such a long time. Its story, its puzzles, class switching, djinns and just the overall epicness was perfect! It was also really popular for a long time but then Camelot squandered the opportunity by not giving us a game for so many years. And when they did, it was too little, too late. If Dark Dawn had been a phenomenal game and a huge success, we wouldn't even have been here discussing Golden Sun representation. Isaac would almost definitely have been in (the only way GS: DD could have been phenomenal if it had a better storyline, gameplay and Isaac in the lead again).

Now we are left wondering what will happen to our wonderful Earth Shaking Adept since Nintendo has dropped the ball and Sakurai has not yet expressed any interest in the series. This is a chance to revive Golden Sun and Nintendo needs to realize this.

Sakurai prove that Gematsu leak wrong and reveal Isaac! Put Shulk in as well but be sure to bring our favourite Venus adept (some people like Felix more but he doesn't have a chance).

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We sure are dropping the text wall bombs up in here...
I like it.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
So I was just thinking, if Isaac were in SSB4, what would be his victory theme? I know it would probably just be the regular victory theme from the GS games, but I went and made this anyway.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So I was just thinking, if Isaac were in SSB4, what would be his victory theme? I know it would probably just be the regular victory theme from the GS games, but I went and made this anyway.

I approve.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Dude. That sounds awesome and perfect!

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Examiner.com | ‘Super Smash Bros. 4’ full character roster reveal coming soon, launch date leak

It has been confirmed that Nintendo will reveal the official character roster and all the stages of Super Smash Bros. 4 later this month. According to a listing on CoroCoro.tv, a special Super Smash Bros. 4 broadcast will air on Aug. 12 and all the characters and stages of the title will be revealed. Thus far, 36 characters have been announced for the official character roster of Super Smash Bros. 4 for Wii U and 3DS.
This is it, gang... The REAL moment of truth is nigh! For better or for worse, our journey will soon come to an end.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Examiner.com | ‘Super Smash Bros. 4’ full character roster reveal coming soon, launch date leak

This is it, gang... The REAL moment of truth is nigh! For better or for worse, our journey will soon come to an end.
...Wow... I must contain my hype, I must prepare for disappointment. August 12th could either be the best day ever, or a sad day of MANY a characters death. As long as I get Ness back, I'll at least be feeling pretty good, but if Isaac and, say, Lip are revealed too? I'm flying through the roof with rocket shoes powered by my pure, unalloyed hype.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I still don't think we're going to get the full cast revealed before release. But we'll see.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Awesome. Sounds perfect for Isaac's victory tune :D

Woah! That is so close from today. My hype level is over 9000! Isaac better be in this! Although will they announce the secret characters?

By the way, how do you make that Smash wishlist? So many people have 'em over here.

Altais

Smash Champion
By the way, how do you make that Smash wishlist? So many people have 'em over here.
The one in mine signature? I don't know how others make theirs, but I do mine with GIMP Photo Editing. It's quite simple, really. All I do is find a picture of said character, add a background (if there isn't one already), then make it into a 100x100 avatar. After that, I create a blank 115x100 image, fill it with a colour of mine choice, type the name of the character at the bottom, paste the character image on top of it, add a transparent border, then viola. If said character is confirmed or disconfirmed, I plaster either an X or O over the image.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
The one in mine signature? I don't know how others make theirs, but I do mine with GIMP Photo Editing. It's quite simple, really. All I do is find a picture of said character, add a background (if there isn't one already), then make it into a 100x100 avatar. After that, I create a blank 115x100 image, fill it with a colour of mine choice, type the name of the character at the bottom, paste the character image on top of it, add a transparent border, then viola. If said character is confirmed or disconfirmed, I plaster either an X or O over the image.
Oh ok thanks! Wondering whether to make one or not because now pretty soon all characters would be announced.

Well atleast I will put Isaac in my signature, that is the only person I am rooting for. Other people on my wishlist are bonuses.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
No its not lol. CoroCoro confirmed that they were just announcing the already announced characters/stages. This is another article repeating the original mistranslated statement by CoroCoro.
But isn't this article talking about some sort of special Super Smash Bros. 4 broadcast on August 12, and not the CoroCoro magazine thing?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Size of thread does not mean popularity....
I love K Rool and am often in that thread, but that is because it is a vibrant community.
Isaac is in my top five yet I'm never on here.

I want Ridley and I do not post in there because of the ....intolerance.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I think the Isaac thread is pretty tame when it comes to discussion. It's all GS fans and all we talk about is the Golden Sun games or potential movesets/stages for Isaac, so it's a nice thread in general for Golden Sun fans.

As long as we can encourage people unfamiliar with Golden Sun to check it out, I think that in itself is a pretty great accomplishment as a Golden Sun supporting topic, especially since the first game (and hopefully soon the second game) are available for everyone on the Wii U for a cheap price. :grin: we will accept Isaac as a playable rep as compensation, Sakurai!

D

Deleted member

It's been said already, but thread count a wanted character does not make. As far as I'm concerned, Ridley and Bandana Dee have a lot of pages that probably don't go anywhere, discussion-wise.

Heck, I had only three entires (well, two at first, with the third added after I noticed just how Sakurai was cramming Uprising stuff into the game) I want in the game: Isaac, Medusa, and Little Mac. I don't know how big Little Mac's thread was before he was introduced, and Medusa's only in the couple hundred.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Shulk was slightly less requested/popular than Isaac before Gematsu put out the list with him, then people suddenly started requested him because bandwagon. Same with Chorus Kids/Marshall.

Anywho, I got Golden Sun for Wii U! Even though I own the original cartridges and can play them in HD on my Retron 5. :awesome:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I think the Isaac thread is pretty tame when it comes to discussion. It's all GS fans and all we talk about is the Golden Sun games or potential movesets/stages for Isaac, so it's a nice thread in general for Golden Sun fans.

As long as we can encourage people unfamiliar with Golden Sun to check it out, I think that in itself is a pretty great accomplishment as a Golden Sun supporting topic, especially since the first game (and hopefully soon the second game) are available for everyone on the Wii U for a cheap price. :grin: we will accept Isaac as a playable rep as compensation, Sakurai!
There's just not that much to talk about, as we haven't gotten any sort of hints as to his inclusion. Ridley fans have the shadow, K. Rool has the Kritters, Krystal has the "only unique star fox character" mentality and a Star Fox wii u stage, and Shulk has a leak. Plus, there are not any hot topics to discuss, such as "too big" or "bandana dee is just a waddle dee". Discussing the GS series in general is all can do, and that's all right with me. But as for encouraging people, this thread defiantly led to me getting my first Golden Sun game, and I am really enjoying it!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd say managing 118 pages on desire and dedication alone is a bigger testament to the character than most of those other threads can claim.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Shulk was slightly less requested/popular than Isaac before Gematsu put out the list with him, then people suddenly started requested him because bandwagon. Same with Chorus Kids/Marshall.

Anywho, I got Golden Sun for Wii U! Even though I own the original cartridges and can play them in HD on my Retron 5. :awesome:
Going with the crowd is a common thing. Look at most smartphone games. People get 'em just to see what the rage is about contributing to it even more. Shulk's popularity rising after the leak is a proof of that. Isaac while an equal contender was sort of shafted by the crowd because of his exclusion from the leak. I have been watching reveals every day hoping that the next one is Isaac since Smash 4 was announced.

Still need to get GS for Wii U though. Already have the 3DS, the U is on my shopping list for this november. And if Isaac is in the game, the first I will buy would be Smash. Otherwise Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta would have to be of higher priority. Obviously I will get Smash a few weeks later but not as excited I would be with my Isaac in the roster.

Discussing the GS series in general is all can do, and that's all right with me. But as for encouraging people, this thread defiantly led to me getting my first Golden Sun game, and I am really enjoying it!
Glad to hear that! Golden Sun is an amazing game and definitely needs recognition. It is my favourite game for a reason. Plus it is the only game which has been able to draw me away from Monster Hunter!

On the Mercury Lighthouse while typing this.

Let's bring on more posts and support Isaac for Smash :D

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Can I just bring up how horrible Google Translate is?
Screenshot_2014-08-08-13-42-04.png
[\spoiler]
The Cotton Large Capture.:laugh:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Battle Royal Book for Smash 5:troll:

I'd say managing 118 pages on desire and dedication alone is a bigger testament to the character than most of those other threads can claim.
Agreed. We should all be proud of ourselves for our dedication.

SirRob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirRobX
3DS FC
3394-4061-9856
I made an Isaac Mii today for... you know, just in case...
Wouldn't it be funny if there were Mii outfits of characters people wanted but weren't playable?

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
While I agree that I'd rather play as my desired character, we know costume elements are in, so would it be too far out of line to offer pieces that could help you make your favs? Isaac would be relatively simple, so long as they provide the option for a cape for the Mii Swordfighter. I mean, I'm already thinking about making a Professor Layton Mii...

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
What would be cool is if there were mii's clothes that ressembled other character's who are never getting into smash for obvious third party collaborations that will never happen or simply because they don't fit.
For example, if there were a long red coat (and the rest of accessories) to make your own "Dante, demon slayer" from Devil May Cry with the swordsman profile.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't necessarily think its going to specifically be a "long red coat", for example. It'll probably be "Long Coat" and you can recolor it to several different options.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
Let's keep the discussion relevant to Isaac and GS here.
Sorry :sadeyes: But the atmosphere in this very thread is so nice sometimes it's hard not to offtopic just to have a chat with the rest of our buddies.

You're right anyways, this is Isaac's thread after all.

To settle some actual conversation: Which taunts would you guys like? Besides the obvious "sad/happy emote" ones. Any signature poses? I think one that has Flint flying around (since Dijinns are supposed to be small) Isaac and playing a little would be charming.
I don't know if this has been discussed already, be gentle :p

Arteen

Smash Lord
I don't think there's been much discussion on that.

I'd definitely want to see the emotes or other overworld animations integrated into his taunts, and seeing a djinni fly around him would be awesome, too..

Altais

Smash Champion
To settle some actual conversation: Which taunts would you guys like? Besides the obvious "sad/happy emote" ones. Any signature poses? I think one that has Flint flying around (since Dijinns are supposed to be small) Isaac and playing a little would be charming.
I don't know if this has been discussed already, be gentle :p
I thought of this taunt once, whilst I was writing a moveset for Isaac: Isaac faces the screen, pulls out a large gold coin, tosses it in the air, then deftly catches it as it descends (in reference to the Lucky Medal Fountain mini game, playable in Tolbi in the first game and Lemuria in the second game).

What do you lot think Isaac's recovery should be? Mine personal pick has always been Planet Diver or Planetary, though I could see them using Retreat--but Retreat would probably just be a generic teleportation recovery, which we have enough of as is. Planet Diver could work similarly to Super Dedede Jump, in that you can cancel the move before the dive. The angle at which you dive could be determined by the direction in which you hold the control stick.

The utility psynergy Lift could work as a recovery, too, but that could leave Isaac open for punishment.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought of this taunt once, whilst I was writing a moveset for Isaac: Isaac faces the screen, pulls out a large gold coin, tosses it in the air, then deftly catches it as it descends (in reference to the Lucky Medal Fountain mini game, playable in Tolbi in the first game and Lemuria in the second game).

What do you lot think Isaac's recovery should be? Mine personal pick has always been Planet Diver or Planetary, though I could see them using Retreat--but Retreat would probably just be a generic teleportation recovery, which we have enough of as is. Planet Diver could work similarly to Super Dedede Jump, in that you can cancel the move before the dive. The angle at which you dive could be determined by the direction in which you hold the control stick.

The utility psynergy Lift could work as a recovery, too, but that could leave Isaac open for punishment.
I'd prefer something like Lift where Isaac lifts a rock underneath him, and when he lets it go it can drop onto foes below him. It could act as a decent move. The rock could probably be destroyed as well, but it'd take much longer to break than something like Villager's Balloons obviously.

Top Bottom