• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I seriously think Isaac not being shown means he's playable. If he were an AT again he would've been shown then.

Staarih

Smash Master
I just remembered that Isaac was an unlockable AT in Brawl, if he was to remain like that, would you think that is the reason he wasn't shown in the Direct? I don't think they showed any of the unlockable or "secret" AT's but I might be wrong.

Not trying to let anyone down but just going through some options... then again, Isaac is one of the more recognizable AT's so it would have made sense to show him nevertheless, so I don't know.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
When I was watching the trailer the first time, when the ATs were being shown I was having major fear of seeing Isaac and then it didn't happen and I was happy. Here's to hoping!

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet
Now that Meowth is confirmed to be a pokeball Isaac is my most-wanted possibility. I have my fingers crossed...

I just think he has so much potential for a neat and interesting moveset without being "wacky" and totally out there.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
What do you think that Sal "leak" means for Isaac? He's the guy who posted the E3 leak.

He's added Palutena, Shulk, Chrom and Choir Men but no sign of Isaac.

Not that I believe him just yet......

Arteen

Smash Lord
He gets no points for guessing obvious choices like Palutena, Chrom, or "Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y". If the guy is leaking anything, it's because he saw some promotional material early and then BS'd the rest of his predictions. Funny how his "leaks" only come about right before E3 or a big Direct. It's not like he predicted Rosalina, anyway.

Isaac still needs to worry that his absence from the Direct was the result of being a secret assist trophy from Brawl, but I'm not going to put too much stock into this leak hurting his chances.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yeah Rosalina was an odd anomaly in what so far has been a pretty solid leak from salromano.

I don't know what to make of it.

Eagle

Smash Lord
I seriously think Isaac not being shown means he's playable. If he were an AT again he would've been shown then.
You could say that same about Advance Wars and Shadow. He didn't reveal those secret ATs either.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I just remembered that Isaac was an unlockable AT in Brawl, if he was to remain like that, would you think that is the reason he wasn't shown in the Direct? I don't think they showed any of the unlockable or "secret" AT's but I might be wrong.

Not trying to let anyone down but just going through some options... then again, Isaac is one of the more recognizable AT's so it would have made sense to show him nevertheless, so I don't know.
I don't know that they did either, but one thing is for sure, and that's that Sakurai isn't really seeming to hold back unlockable characters this time. So I don't know why he'd do differently for an AT, if he saw a compelling reason to reveal them.

Now (or the last few weeks) would have been the prime time to reveal Isaac as an Assist Trophy, and then throw in an advertisement for the VC release of Golden Sun... A picture of the day could have shown him confirmed him as an AT, and then the post on Miiverse would elaborate and mention the release of Golden Sun on VC.

So there was, perhaps, a compelling reason to show him, and even before the Direct, a few other Assist Trophies were shown in the daily updates (Ashley [unless she was earlier, I forget], Waluigi, Andross, and the Metroid), all during this short time frame that would have been perfect to reveal Isaac as a returning AT.

He managed to survive those updates (which made me more and more tense), alongside the numerous reveals during the Nintendo Direct. With all things considered, it's an interesting development. In the end it could all mean nothing, but here's to hoping for the best.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We might know pretty soon if Isaac is in or not. After all, this month Golden Sun will be released for Wii U VC right? We even had a date to expect him! How soon are we forgetting?

Think he might get revealed along Ness or Lucas, possibly with or without Mewtwo being there as well.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
My stomach kinda killed itself when he was revealing the ATs. So glad to see Isaac not there (A lot of people are sharing the esentiment that it's odd to be glad not to see him, huh?). Color TV Game 15 ftw, guise. Now we can hope for another direct, E3, or we'll see the full roster come summer.

I'm pretty much counting Isaac in at this point. He survived the AT massacre. Even Saki, his greatest "rival", perished.
I think Isaac, Shulk and Saki were pretty big rivals against each other.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We can only hope for the best, though, ironically, the Direct has in some manner, changed my optimism regarding Isaac chances significantly. Consideirng that Ridley has been disconfirmed, I have no idea whetehr or not Sakurai will find Isaac worthy of a roster slot or have him return as AT.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I just came to this thread to see how many other people were freaking out during the AT showcase. Haha. Between looking out for Isaac and Shulk, it may have actually been the worst part of the direct simply due to fear.

Also, I'm a few gens behind in pokemon and actually thought the reveal was going to be Isaac using an elemental attack. For once Sakurai didn't do much of a bait and switch, it was just straight up pokemon in the reveal trailer.

Here's hoping to the possibility of no items, FD, blonde JRPG characters only, "For Glory!"

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Isaac vs Shulk is definetly something I would like to see in this game.

The matchup potential is just absolutely perfect. Two somewhat similar, but at the same time, very different characters macthing up as playable characters? Seems cool to me.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wanted Tingle to get deconfirmed so badly... But yes, I held my breath to when I saw Saki...

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
So it's the day after, and after that initial excitement it seems like we're more or less back where we were before the Direct. No sign of Isaac, anything can happen, going to be a painful wait to find out his fate. At least the 3DS release isn't that far away?

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
I like the new thread title! :D

I was almost sweating hard when I saw the ATs. I'm glad to see our blond haired psynergy user dodged the "decom" bullet. I won't jump to conclusions and say he's confirmed, but I'll say that his chances live again for another day - and that is enough for me. So with that...

ISAAC FOR SSB4!!!!

Niala

Smash Ace
First of all, I'd like to say it's nice to read a thread about the direct with so much hope, and more than a few positive attitudes, for once. Most of the threads seem to have a lot of griping because the game isn't catering to their exact desires-- it's real breath of fresh air in here.

Notably, I hadn't even thought about Isaac for Sm4sh until seeing this, but he certainly has potential. And, I'll admit, I'm a fan of his already. He has a lot of potential for an interesting and unique moveset, as well as bringing some long-overdue Golden Sun representation to the roster. I would never say I'm hopeful, I think I know Sakurai too well for that, however it's interesting that he survived the direct completely unscathed.

On a related note, to those who are debating his inclusion as an AT, while he was a secret AT for Brawl, Isaac was revealed as a secret AT on the Dojo website. (second one down: http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/items/assist/assist16.html) In that regard, him being a secret AT in Sm4sh wouldn't have stopped Sakurai from revealing him in the direct-- he's done it before. As previously stated, Isaac could just not be ready for reveal, or potentially Sakurai has a PotD planned for him later on, but it does bring up an interesting rebuttal.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We might see him getting revealed as a PC or AT om the day Golden Sun gets released for VC.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Golden Sun on the VC has already been released in Japan.

The thing that sucks is that if Isaac is in as a playable character, we won't know for quiet some time. The wait is gonna be painful.

Last edited:

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Let's consider the classic elements for a moment and what we have in regards to revealed content:
  • Fire: Charizard
  • Water: Greninja
  • Wind: Gust Bellows, Link's boomerang?, Pit (sort of represents wind?), Ore Hammer
  • Earth: Nothing (yet...)
This is why I argue Isaac would be such a good fit.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Well, there's over 400 new screenshots of the game on GameExplain, none we haven't seen before. It shows off new items even Sakurai hasn't mentioned, including several assist trophies. . And Issac is STILL no where to before.

D

Deleted member

the wait will be super painful, while waiting for directs to be announced, we've also got to get through the daily pictures.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We hadn't though seen any other secret Assist from Brawl either (like Ray MK, Barbara, etc). If it's the same case here, Isaac could be saved to be again one, not to be shown until the game's release or before it.

Something to consider as a possibility for an open weak spot.

In anycase though, I'm quite happy that Isaac's still not up in the air.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Considering Isaac was a secret assist trophy last game, there's a strong possibility we won't see/hear a thing about him until the game releases, even if he simply reprises his old role. Not a possibility I look forward to, but a possibility nonetheless.

To be honest, though, I can't think of a good reason for him to be kept as a secret character if he's playable. Obviously plenty of newcomers have come through secret characters before, but it seems like he's all for pushing newly repped franchises this release as with Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, etc.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Well, here's hoping Isaac gets in, after playing Golden Sun recently on GameBoy Advance (and being awful at it), I'm all for 'im.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Considering Isaac was a secret assist trophy last game, there's a strong possibility we won't see/hear a thing about him until the game releases, even if he simply reprises his old role. Not a possibility I look forward to, but a possibility nonetheless.

To be honest, though, I can't think of a good reason for him to be kept as a secret character if he's playable. Obviously plenty of newcomers have come through secret characters before, but it seems like he's all for pushing newly repped franchises this release as with Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, etc.
Well actually, all of those "newly repped" are from like, 2009 at the latest. Dark Dawn was released in 2010, so maybe he'll be revealed at a later date.

We fight out in 8 days if he's most likely an Assist Trophy or not. I can see it being a pick of the day easily on the 17th (his VC release)

D

Deleted member

Glad to see that Isaac survive the initial massacre of disconfirmation. I would still be catious about him, though.

Keep in mind that according to the Gematsu's leak (which is true), there's eleven newcomers; eight of which are from new series, which is a lot. Add in the confirmed Rosalina along with Mewtwo (who's obvious, heck he's even been hinted at), and a retro newcomer (we're not going without one) and that brings us up to fourteen newcomers. Which is a lot of newcomers and we're likely getting less than Brawl. That means for Isaac to have a chance, we'll need at least fifteen newcomers and a 9th new series. Should we get a 9th new series, though, Isaac is certainly a serious contender (though knowing Sakurai, that could go to anything).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Alright, things are beginning to look up for Isaac a little right now. This should be fun.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Let's consider the classic elements for a moment and what we have in regards to revealed content:
  • Fire: Charizard
  • Water: Greninja
  • Wind: Gust Bellows, Link's boomerang?, Pit (sort of represents wind?), Ore Hammer
  • Earth: Nothing (yet...)
This is why I argue Isaac would be such a good fit.
One could argue that some moves of Donkey Kong and Villager are Earth-based. For example, Donkey Kong's Headbut that traps people in the ground, and his Hand Slap that causes earthquakes. Villager cause of his shovel, and cutting down the tree. I guess that Isaac could also trap people in the ground, and obviously he can cause earthquakes and make trees appear out of nowhere (or brambles). But what others can't for example is awesome Psynergy moves as Gaia, Spire, Thorn, Ragnarok and what not.

Also, Greninja's movements reminded me a little of Alex. :laugh:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Glad to see that Isaac survive the initial massacre of disconfirmation. I would still be catious about him, though.

Keep in mind that according to the Gematsu's leak (which is true), there's eleven newcomers; eight of which are from new series, which is a lot. Add in the confirmed Rosalina along with Mewtwo (who's obvious, heck he's even been hinted at), and a retro newcomer (we're not going without one) and that brings us up to fourteen newcomers. Which is a lot of newcomers and we're likely getting less than Brawl. That means for Isaac to have a chance, we'll need at least fifteen newcomers and a 9th new series. Should we get a 9th new series, though, Isaac is certainly a serious contender (though knowing Sakurai, that could go to anything).
It's a little early to be calling Gematsu's latest leak true, isn't it? He guessed an X/Y Pokemon, which is far less impressive than guessing Greninja himself. Beyond that, the way that Greninja trailer was set up, it's entirely possible Mewtwo missed the cut again, and who's to say that we're guaranteed a retro either, especially with classic Mega Man and possibly Pac-Man on the way?

I'm trying to remain cautious about Isaac and anyone else yet to be confirmed, but it still seems like there are plenty of uncertain character slots left, both newcomer and veteran, and after yesterday, it's abundantly clear that no one can predict what Sakurai's going to do next.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to guess that there are exactly 5 more newcomer slots left.

-I'm thinking that pac-man will take one of these slots.

-After seeing the kremlings in the video, and considering that every single newcomer so far has not been an antagonist, King K Rool will take a slot.

-I think that the newest fire emblem game has garnered alot of interest, and that there will be a new fire emblem rep who will not be chrom or lucina, I would say that this character would end up being Tharja.

-Palutena has a stage, isn't an assist trophy, and isn't part of pits final smash any longer, is fairly popular, and expected to be a character, so I'm joining the bandwagon on this one and saying that Palutena will indeed be taking a slot.

-The final slot could go to variety of characters, but there are very few characters that are new to represent a series this time around, I don't think Lip is well known enough, advanced wars was more about the tanks rather than the people controlling them so I think they will get the same assist trophy to cover them, Chibi-Robo role is filled quite well by R.O.B to be honest, Shulk's popularity is more in the western world like little mac (see here http://www.vgchartz.com/game/42966/xenoblade-chronicles/), Dillion seems better fit for as an assist trophy and a tad too similar to sonic, there are a few other notables like Saki, or Captain Rainbow, but I think they are more suited for an assist trophy. (Also please note that this is just how I feel, about said characters, it just an opinion so take it easy).

It all comes down to the Takamaru vs. Isaac match up.
Takamaru is a retro and appeared in a variety of games outside of his own, and thanks to Nintendoland has gotten a boost in popularity.

Isaac on the other hand, made it to Assist Trophy status while Takamaru did not. Isaac is not a retro character but his game brings more to the table for smash than Takamaru. Djinn could be an amazing item, and there is a wider variety of stages to choose from in the Golden Sun series over Takamaru's.

In the end they are both sword users but there is a lot more to explore with in the golden sun series and earth based attacks being mixed in with sword attacks, and for this reason I would say that Issac will get a spot in the roster and Takamaru will not. Also with golden sun being released on the VC, I'd say Isaac is more relevant now more than ever.

The end. Take it in with a grain of salt.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Whatever Isaac's fate may be, at least we'll find out about it this summer, if not sooner.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I still think they will waste (imo) a spot for Miis.

Isaac would be so awesome ...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the final spot did come down to Isaac or Takamaru, unless we already had a retro character, things would definitely be heavily in Takamaru's favour. But then again, he's one of the characters with best chances, and they've never exactly been on equal footing for Smash 4.

Luckily Zandro's situation in general doesn't seem the be the most realistic imo, I'd wager we do get more than five more newcomers.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think Isaac (or Matthew) will get in the game since neither of them has been confirmed as an Assist Trophy.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Someone sell me on Isaac in case he gets confirmed. I need another wanted newcomer.
Do yourself a favor and get Golden Sun when it's released on VC. You'll play a fantastic game and you'll be instantly sold on the idea of a character from that world joining Smash. :)

Top Bottom