• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, there's over 400 new screenshots of the game on GameExplain, none we haven't seen before. It shows off new items even Sakurai hasn't mentioned, including several assist trophies. . And Issac is STILL no where to before.
To be fair, no ATs that weren't shown in the Direct or known previously were in that selection of leaked pics.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm not buying that "XY Pokémon" leak. He predicted nothing basically, and the only thing those guys have going for them is guessing about WFT and Villager. Rosalina and Greninja were not leaked by them.

Anyway, about Isaac's actual chances... I'm still holding to the fact that the 3DS version will pay tribute to the portable side of Nintendo gaming, which has been all but ignored by Smash up until now (except for Pokémon of course). Including Isaac would be a great acknowledgement of that side of Nintendo.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If the final spot did come down to Isaac or Takamaru, unless we already had a retro character, things would definitely be heavily in Takamaru's favour. But then again, he's one of the characters with best chances, and they've never exactly been on equal footing for Smash 4.

Luckily Zandro's situation in general doesn't seem the be the most realistic imo, I'd wager we do get more than five more newcomers.
There's some serious obsession with having a retro character.....

Not to mention Little Mac, Megaman and Pacman could all count as retro. (especially now that Little Mac has his old wireframe costume)

Besides isn't Isaac almost a retro at this point? (At least his young form) Golden Sun is releasing on Virtual Console this month after all.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm not buying that "XY Pokémon" leak. He predicted nothing basically, and the only thing those guys have going for them is guessing about WFT and Villager. Rosalina and Greninja were not leaked by them.

Anyway, about Isaac's actual chances... I'm still holding to the fact that the 3DS version will pay tribute to the portable side of Nintendo gaming, which has been all but ignored by Smash up until now (except for Pokémon of course). Including Isaac would be a great acknowledgement of that side of Nintendo.
Isaac's (or Matthew's) chances are, as of now, 98% of being a playable character. There seems to be nothing holding him back.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's some serious obsession with having a retro character.....

Not to mention Little Mac, Megaman and Pacman could all count as retro. (especially now that Little Mac has his old wireframe costume)
Sakurai said he was considering a retro character that could be revived as Pit was for Smash.

Little Mac has already been revived, and the latter two, while retro, have never been exclusively retro like IC/Pit (not to mention I doubt he views third-parties like that).
Seems he was referring to a character not yet seen, and Takamaru fits the bill quite well. It could be another retro though. Anyway, considering we've gotten one in the past two games and Sakurai has hinted towards one this time as well, you can't count it out. Certainly has a lot in its favour, unfortunately more than Isaac.

Besides isn't Isaac almost a retro at this point? (At least his young form) Golden Sun is releasing on Virtual Console this month after all.
Considering Sakurai has viewed retros as from the "classic era" that doesn't really apply to Isaac. Not to mention he was seen in his own series two years prior to the roster likely being created, and that's not retro.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm not going to get my hopes too high, but I am relieved that Isaac is still in the running.

At least with the Summer 2014 release date, we'll know sooner rather than later.
If the condition of Isaac is not revealed and the game has come out, I will tell you guys if Isaac (or Matthew) gets in when I get the 3DS version.

Edit: If you guys want me to.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So now what?
Now we wait, as we have always done.

I think we should be worried about the 17th of April. Think about it we're most likely not getting two newcomers in one month, so if we get something Golden Sun it could very easily be an Isaac assist trophy.

Best case scenario we see Felix or Matthew revealed as an assist trophy. (or maybe see Djinn revealed as an item) Failing that we see nothing about Golden Sun.

Last edited:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Awe, don't make me choose between Isaac and Takamaru, guys, that's just not fair D: But yeah, realistically, I would say Takamaru still has a better shot. I'm excited that Isaac survived the massacre, but honestly, his chances are still pretty shaky, imo. At the end of the day, he's still the main character of a somewhat niche RPG series whose heyday was over 10 years ago. We can only hope Nintendo wants to see more Golden Sun as much as we do, and promote the hell out of it with Smash XD Or that Sakurai really just wants to continue throwing curve balls.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think a character's chances would have to be pretty shaky for such a celebration over not showing up alongside deconfirmed characters to take place as it did. :laugh:

And yeah, it is a shame Isaac has been a victim of poor timing. The impact and resulting popularity made by GS definitely would've got Isaac included had there been a roster made closer to when the influence of the games was still noticeable with competition on the level of what we have now instead of the several remaining heavy-hitters that composed much of Brawl's newcomer selection.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'm still not giving up a lick of hope on Issac. I have an immense feeling he's an unlockable character.

He won't be revealed, at least as a character, on the 17th. That's less than a week for them to, according to the trend of things, showcase another full fledged trailer with no prior announcement.

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel Isaac is definitely a secret character. But whether that means a secret Assist Trophy like in Brawl or a secret playable character remains to be seen. But secret is secret, and unfortunately, we might have to wait until summer (3DS-versions release) to find out. Hoping so much for a playable appearance though!

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Isaac just needs to be playable. How can Sakuarai not see how blatantly awesome his move set would be?

Swordplay
Oversized psyenergy hands
The djinni
Rocks and stalagmites
Plant powers
Earthquakes
Ragnarok
Judgement final smash

Not to mention the glorious music from Golden Sun.

My hope is now that Isaac survived the direct, they're just waiting for Golden Sun to release on the Wii U to announce him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It could just be me being optimistic, but I really feel not showing any of the unlockable ATs was a coincidence (not that that means Isaac will definitely be playable). If he had shown every starter AT from last time (or there had only been one or two omissions - likely cuts) and none of the unlockable ones, then yes, that'd be extremely suspect, but there are still more than a handful of starter ATs from last time not shown.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The calm after the storm is kinda annoying. Since we probably won't learn about Isaac's fate until release now.

If Isaac isn't playable I wish he actually had been shown in that assist trophy trailer, rather than us being hopeful to the last moment only to have brawl happen all over again.

In a sense if we see an Isaac assist trophy on the 17th I'll feel relieved. It beats being caught between hoping and that Sal Romano leak only to end up crushed at the end anyway.

I'm just not liking this vibe I'm getting. Jeez I'm feeling negative today.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wouldn't Elec man be an unlockable AT?

IIRC Shadow was unlocked by unlocking Sonic in Brawl. So it's a fair assumption that Elec Man would be unlocked by unlocking Mega Man this time.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Isaac just needs to be playable. How can Sakuarai not see how blatantly awesome his move set would be?

Swordplay
Oversized psyenergy hands
The djinni
Rocks and stalagmites
Plant powers
Earthquakes
Ragnarok Odyssey I spelled it right this time, guys!
Judgment final smash

Not to mention the glorious music from Golden Sun.

My hope is now that Isaac survived the direct, they're just waiting for Golden Sun to release on the Wii U to announce him.
FTFY.
But yes, why not, Sakruai?

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
better Q: do we even have unlockables, at least, in terms of characters?

Also even if that leak is real, only way Isaac is truly shot down is if that 48 leak is real, which I've already called bull on (but that may actually mean worse than we expect)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

IIRC Shadow was unlocked by unlocking Sonic in Brawl. So it's a fair assumption that Elec Man would be unlocked by unlocking Mega Man this time.
Third party reveals could be an exception though.

There's also the Namco assists that would probably unlock along with Pacman.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Best case scenario we see Felix or Matthew revealed as an assist trophy. (or maybe see Djinn revealed as an item) Failing that we see nothing about Golden Sun.
This is definetly something I hope.

I also hope that Golden Sun being one of the first games to be re-released alongside major GBA games, combined with how pushed Dark Dawn was, help make the possibility of Isaac being replaced as AT by his son more likely.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
This is definetly something I hope.

I also hope that Golden Sun being one of the first games to be re-released alongside major GBA games, combined with how pushed Dark Dawn was, help make the possibility of Isaac being replaced as AT by his son more likely.
That's just the thing. Even if Isaac is shown as an AT, that doesn't mean that Matthew won't be playable. I know that it'll be doomsday in here, but there's still a chance for a GS rep as long as either Isaac or Matthew is still on the table.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
These are being added to the Wii U Virtual Console April 17th
  • F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
  • Golden Sun

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That's just the thing. Even if Isaac is shown as an AT, that doesn't mean that Matthew won't be playable. I know that it'll be doomsday in here, but there's still a chance for a GS rep as long as either Isaac or Matthew is still on the table.
If Marth's anything to go by back in Melee, the original and the most important protagonist, the "face" so to speak, is the first to get in from a cyclical series, before any other character does. Considering that Golden Sun is more akin to Fire Emblem in nature than something like DK, the treatment shall be similar. Also, considering the fact that Isaac is by far the most requested Golden Sun character, combined with him being the "Marth" of his franchise, and it seems likely that if he weren't to be in, any other Golden Sun character most likely won't.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It could just be me being optimistic, but I really feel not showing any of the unlockable ATs was a coincidence (not that that means Isaac will definitely be playable). If he had shown every starter AT from last time (or there had only been one or two omissions - likely cuts) and none of the unlockable ones, then yes, that'd be extremely suspect, but there are still more than a handful of starter ATs from last time not shown.
Worst of this is, Tingle and Shadow supporters are feeling confident now... :rolleyes:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

That's a good point... but to be fair last time we found out about Gray Fox pretty early as well, and he was locked.

better Q: do we even have unlockables, at least, in terms of characters?

Also even if that leak is real, only way Isaac is truly shot down is if that 48 leak is real, which I've already called bull on (but that may actually mean worse than we expect)
I'm not up on leaks, is there any reason to suspect that one is any more valid than any other "leak"?

The calm after the storm is kinda annoying. Since we probably won't learn about Isaac's fate until release now.

If Isaac isn't playable I wish he actually had been shown in that assist trophy trailer, rather than us being hopeful to the last moment only to have brawl happen all over again.

In a sense if we see an Isaac assist trophy on the 17th I'll feel relieved. It beats being caught between hoping and that Sal Romano leak only to end up crushed at the end anyway.

I'm just not liking this vibe I'm getting. Jeez I'm feeling negative today.
Well keep in mind even if Sal is right, he didn't predict Rosalina, so it's not like that would necessarily be the entirety of the newcomer roster. :)

Worst of this is, Tingle and Shadow supporters are feeling confident now... :rolleyes:
Tingle I can deal with but people thinking Shadow has a chance makes me sad. :p

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm not up on leaks, is there any reason to suspect that one is any more valid than any other "leak"?
Apparently no; it just sounds like a realistic number so that's why people are clinging onto it. My point was that the only way that it does mean true damage for Isaac is if there's not a lot of unshown/unleaked newcomers left. which I don't blame for a fear but I think there's at least one after rosalina

Hey, you have to admit, at this point it does sound like a pretty real number.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, I keep re-watching the Assist Trophies sections of the Direct with glee considering the exclusion of Isaac. It doesn't guarantee he will be in as playable, but that section keeps giving me a warm feeling precisely because Isaac hasn't been disconfirmed so far.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
The fact that both F-Zero and Golden Sun comes out on VC 4/17 makes me nervous. They could just skip over the entire GS series and give a reveal for Captain Falcon. Although very unlikely the fact he's being requested so heavily to return makes me feel Sakurai will play ball just this once. That being said I wish there was a way for him to take note of threads much like this.

Having Isaac be an AT was win back in the brawl days. Music being used as well but the lack of anything GS being shown is troubling. Stop playing with my emotions Sakurai. Do the right thing. Show a Golden Sun stage, music, or something that isn't Isaac returning as a AT.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even though this is the only thing GS-related in the forseeable future, it is just a VC re-release people. Chances are the likeliest situation is we get nothing: no AT, no character, not even anything for F-Zero. :/

Do speak for yourself.

I most certainly didn't think that way. lol
When I found out I was just relieved he was in the game at all at that point. Afterwards it made me sour though. :laugh:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
The fact that both F-Zero and Golden Sun comes out on VC 4/17 makes me nervous. They could just skip over the entire GS series and give a reveal for Captain Falcon. Although very unlikely the fact he's being requested so heavily to return makes me feel Sakurai will play ball just this once. That being said I wish there was a way for him to take note of threads much like this.

Having Isaac be an AT was win back in the brawl days. Music being used as well but the lack of anything GS being shown is troubling. Stop playing with my emotions Sakurai. Do the right thing. Show a Golden Sun stage, music, or something that isn't Isaac returning as a AT.
You saw the Direct right? I mean, yeah, he's heavily requested so Sakurai will play ball.... with your emotions. The guy trolls at the highest level. Pseudo Palutena? Ridley's shadow? (Ridley who is probably more requested than Isaac) The Zero Suit Samus "reveal"? I don't know man, I'm pulling for people to get what they want out of this game. But if you're gonna throw all your eggs in one basket then you better be prepared to get trolled HARD.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Do speak for yourself.

I most certainly didn't think that way. lol
Trust me I was only speaking for myself. Although it may not have seem like much Isaac could have very well just been a normal trophy but he had some sort of effort put into him. That's what I meant.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Trust me I was only speaking for myself. Although it may not have seem like much Isaac could have very well just been a normal trophy but he had some sort of effort put into him. That's what I meant.
Oh, I most certainly understand that.

But I could not even begin to see it that way. lol. I was like "OMG how dare you go and make the one and only new character I really wanted an Assist Trophy like that!"

...I have a feeling it will be the very same way this time if that is what happens again.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
You saw the Direct right? I mean, yeah, he's heavily requested so Sakurai will play ball.... with your emotions. The guy trolls at the highest level. Pseudo Palutena? Ridley's shadow? (Ridley who is probably more requested than Isaac) The Zero Suit Samus "reveal"? I don't know man, I'm pulling for people to get what they want out of this game. But if you're gonna throw all your eggs in one basket then you better be prepared to get trolled HARD.
I've been around since melee days so I'm aware of how Sakurai likes to tease and taunt. Back when rumors of Sonic the Hedgehog being in melee were spreading around. Giving false hope to many people including myself. Then hearing "we ran out of time" quotes whether they were true or not. Watching the same thing happen again with Ridley in Brawl. Point is I would LOVE to see Isaac get some spotlight but it won't be the end of the world. I settled for an AT back in brawl with some great choices of music, I'm sure I'll live. Not trying to start anything but I know where the line is in terms of "getting my hopes up".

Oh, I most certainly understand that.

But I could not even begin to see it that way. lol. I was like "OMG how dare you go and make the one and only new character I really wanted an Assist Trophy like that!"

...I have a feeling it will be the very same way this time if that is what happens again.
Now that I understand. If Isaac was my overall number one character then I would have felt the same way as you. For me though hearing Sonic announced was enough to keep me excited for the game since he's my favorite of all time. Sorry Isaac if you were released back in my baby days I probably would've said you were number 1. He's a close second for sure though.

Lets just keep hoping is all I'm saying.

Staarih

Smash Master
What we need is a Golden Sun Assist Trophy who is NOT Isaac. That would pretty much seal the deal in my eyes.

Top Bottom