• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I think it would be interesting if Issac had different Psyenergy based on different parts of his moveset. For instance, B moves would be earth spells, ground moves would be earth-fire type, aerials would be earth-wind type, and grabs would be earth-water type.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
The fact that 3 of you actually responded to that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was curious so I did a forum search for my name.

More than half of the results were from this thread.

Which made me regret not posting more in this glorious thread. I 100% support his inclusion and then some.

Matthew? Move over. Let the papa show how's it done.

I was pretty disappointed to find Isaac not playable in Brawl. Let's not repeat the again!

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be interesting if Issac had different Psyenergy based on different parts of his moveset. For instance, B moves would be earth spells, ground moves would be earth-fire type, aerials would be earth-wind type, and grabs would be earth-water type.
I was confused. I didn't know if I had to use the report or the reply option in your message. Do you even know what are you saying? Earth-Water? Earth-Wind? Earth-Fire?

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I was confused. I didn't know if I had to use the report or the reply option in your message. Do you even know what are you saying? Earth-Water? Earth-Wind? Earth-Fire?
Okay.. You're new so I'll let that slide.

Yes, I know what Im Saying. I've played all 3 games. Since Isaac is earth to begin with, you give him water djinn and he gains spells only available to earth/water mixes. Like the spell "Wild Growth" is an earth spell, however its only available to classes like "Seer", which is from Mercury or Jupiter. So that's earth-water or earth-wind.

Understand?

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I know what Im Saying. I've played all 3 games.
Good to know.
Since Isaac is earth to begin with, you give him water djinn and he gains spells only available to earth/water mixes.
I have knowledge about classes of Golden Sun that is probably higher than most of the other persons of this forum.
Like the spell "Wild Growth" is an earth spell, however its only available to classes like "Seer", which is from Mercury or Jupiter. So that's earth-water or earth-wind.
I actually imagined what where you trying to say however that dont changes that it is wrong. Psynergies belong to one element and we can use Growth series as a good example of it. First i want to mention that Brute class can also use Growth.
So let me ask for the lulz, in what category would you include Growth? an earth-water, earth-wind or an earth-fire psynergy? But well it is not important that you forgot about the Brute class. Lets consider Dark Dawn for a moment, something that i usually dont do. Himi can actually learn Growth series in his mono-elemental class (so after all you can consider Growth an Earth-Earth type psynergy, hahahah.). What basically means this is that Psynergies are attached to one element and because some Characters cant use that psynergy in the mono-elemental class it doents mean that they are product of a combination of elements, like you suggest, in classes.
Perhaps there is another adept that can use that psynergy in his mono-elemental class, and Himi proof that.
Pointing also that the first level of Growth is an inherent psynergy to Matthew.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I've always thought it would be cool for Isaac to have Djinni-Change as his Down-B; he would switch from Flint, to Scorch, to Gust, to Serac. His specials change in element and effect each time it's used (while still being similar), as well as the visual effects on some of his attacks.

FOR EXAMPLE:

B changes from Ragnarok to Liquify (shoots a single super-heated ray of energy up from the ground, has great vertical range), to Whiplash (has a sweetspot at the end that does great damage and knockback, but little of both anywhere else), to Diamond Dust (forms a glacier and cuts it up, can catch enemies in the glacier).

That, way, you cover all of the elements represented within Golden Sun. Yes, Isaac doesn't learn all of those attacks, but that's really a moot point in Smash.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Good to know.
I have knowledge about classes of Golden Sun that is probably higher than most of the other persons of this forum.
I actually imagined what where you trying to say however that dont changes that it is wrong. Psynergies belong to one element and we can use Growth series as a good example of it. First i want to mention that Brute class can also use Growth.
So let me ask for the lulz, in what category would you include Growth? an earth-water, earth-wind or an earth-fire psynergy? But well it is not important that you forgot about the Brute class. Lets consider Dark Dawn for a moment, something that i usually dont do. Himi can actually learn Growth series in his mono-elemental class (so after all you can consider Growth an Earth-Earth type psynergy, hahahah.). What basically means this is that Psynergies are attached to one element and because some Characters cant use that psynergy in the mono-elemental class it doents mean that they are product of a combination of elements, like you suggest, in classes.
Perhaps there is another adept that can use that psynergy in his mono-elemental class, and Himi proof that.
Pointing also that the first level of Growth is an inherent psynergy to Matthew.

Hey, I don't think theres parking outside for your high horse. You really need to chill out, O Great Wise One.

Anyway. I'm referring to specifically to Issac. So in his case, all of Isaac's spells are still influenced by earth when certain types of Djinn and classes. It was an example at best, so your extensive response was inadequate and unnecessary. So earth fire meaning "Isaac gains new fire spells because he is holding 4 fire djinn but he's an Earth adept, so he will still be influenced by Earth. In other words, limited in classes, like everyone is.
I'm aware Isaac can't learn spells like Reigning Dragon, etc.

I'm not wrong. Its completely clear what point I was trying to convey. Bite me.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I didn't corrected you, I taunted you.
Well as this is a forum, sweetie, next time you'll need to make that more apparent next time. Also, I didn't point out your grammatical errors, if you would like, I will.

Also guys, I feel like Ragnarok, unless condensed, would be a good final smash. Anyone else?

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I thought Judgement would make Isaac's most appropriate Final Smash.

Ragnarok I thought would make a good side B. Huge energy sword projectile, and all...

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Would you guys prefer his A attacks be weapon or psynergy based? Personally, I think we have more than enough swords and such. I'd like to see all his A's operate with the psynergy fists. That could force him to stay at a mid-range, making him an interesting fighter indeed.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Would you guys prefer his A attacks be weapon or psynergy based? Personally, I think we have more than enough swords and such. I'd like to see all his A's operate with the psynergy fists. That could force him to stay at a mid-range, making him an interesting fighter indeed.
I would vote that his jab, his tilts, and his dash attack be sword slashes but everything else (smash attacks, most aerials, grabs, and specials) be psynergy. Primarily Earth-based psy attacks, with Move as his grab.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I would vote that his jab, his tilts, and his dash attack be sword slashes but everything else (smash attacks, most aerials, grabs, and specials) be psynergy. Primarily Earth-based psy attacks, with Move as his grab.
Couldn't his sword slashes be psynergy based moves,and B moves djinn based?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Couldn't his sword slashes be psynergy based moves,and B moves djinn based?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Did you mean to say his A moves could all be psynergy and his B moves all Djinn?

I mean, he does carry a weapon in the games, and I think it'd be kind of strange if he wasn't using it to fight. I was just thinking essentially that his weak/fast attacks would be more basic sword slashes and then everything that's powerful as psynergy.

I think of the Djinn as a defining feature of his games, but not necessarily a defining feature of him. I'd be fine if they were put in as a pokemon-esque item that buffs the user for awhile and then finishes with a small attack. When I think of things that would work as part of Isaac's moveset/mechanics, I always think of things that either don't do Djinns justice or are too complicated.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Did you mean to say his A moves could all be psynergy and his B moves all Djinn?

I mean, he does carry a weapon in the games, and I think it'd be kind of strange if he wasn't using it to fight. I was just thinking essentially that his weak/fast attacks would be more basic sword slashes and then everything that's powerful as psynergy.

I think of the Djinn as a defining feature of his games, but not necessarily a defining feature of him. I'd be fine if they were put in as a pokemon-esque item that buffs the user for awhile and then finishes with a small attack. When I think of things that would work as part of Isaac's moveset/mechanics, I always think of things that either don't do Djinns justice or are too complicated.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

I mean, I think B could be like "Flint", and it's just a hard leaping strike that's more powerful the longer you charge it. I think it would leap with him transparently as he does the attack.

Also, everybody, the anniversaries for the games in Japan are:

August 1, 2001 (for the first game)
June 28, 2002 (second game)
October 28, 2010 (third)

So... the game will probably be out by then. D:

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I think Isaac's A moves would be composed of sword strikes and djinni assisted moves.

B moves would be psyenergy quakes, rocks, vines, stalagmites, ragnarok etc.

His grab would be the psyenergy hand.

Final smash would be Judgement.

I think they would all come together to represent Golden Sun quite nicely.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Who's Issac?
Gawd, thank you. Put 'Isaac' in a spelling bee and half of Smashboards would fail. :rolleyes:

I was curious so I did a forum search for my name.

More than half of the results were from this thread.

Which made me regret not posting more in this glorious thread. I 100% support his inclusion and then some.

Matthew? Move over. Let the papa show how's it done.

I was pretty disappointed to find Isaac not playable in Brawl. Let's not repeat the again!
Great to have you on board Venus! Also, I like your name! Hopefully you know how to spell it properly. :smirk:

As long as he still got two or three sword attacks (because it still is a decent-sized part of his repertoire) I'd prefer his moveset based mostly around Psynergy since there's so much to take from it, and very little like it currently on the roster. That said, it'd also be cool to have a character that mixes swordplay with magic, but ideally I'd prefer the former.

Also, everybody, the anniversaries for the games in Japan are:

August 1, 2001 (for the first game)
June 28, 2002 (second game)
October 28, 2010 (third)

So... the game will probably be out by then. D:
Well... it's not like the newcomers revealed so far have been tied to specific dates relating to them...

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Gawd, thank you. Put 'Isaac' in a spelling bee and half of Smashboards would fail. :rolleyes:

Great to have you on board Venus! Also, I like your name! Hopefully you know how to spell it properly. :smirk:

As long as he still got two or three sword attacks (because it still is a decent-sized part of his repertoire) I'd prefer his moveset based mostly around Psynergy since there's so much to take from it, and very little like it currently on the roster. That said, it'd also be cool to have a character that mixes swordplay with magic, but ideally I'd prefer the former.

Well... it's not like the newcomers revealed so far have been tied to specific dates relating to them...
Oh, I know. I just figured if an annivesary was coming up, it would be a more opportune time to reveal him if he's in the game. I think brawl had about 15 newcomers, and 3 of them were unlockable, right? Wolf, Toon Link, and Lucario? So maybe he'll be a newcomer that's kept secret. Idk.

I'll just die if he's not in it though. If he's revealed, then I'll be 100% happy with this game.

And then again, I personally don't believe all the characters shown are all starters. I think Marth will be locked, as well as Toon Link, etc.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Oh, I know. I just figured if an annivesary was coming up, it would be a more opportune time to reveal him if he's in the game. I think brawl had about 15 newcomers, and 3 of them were unlockable, right? Wolf, Toon Link, and Lucario? So maybe he'll be a newcomer that's kept secret. Idk.
You're forgetting Rob, Snake and Sonic. So six in total.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
With the playable Rosalina and the Ashley and Skull Kid Assist Trophies revealed, I'm thinking Sakurai is basing a lot of his newcomers from the Brawl-era "polls" and requests, in which Isaac was also a popular choice.

I dunno, just the fact that characters like Rosalina and (maybe) Palutena, who are prominent but not high-profile, are considered for inclusion helps me keep my hopes up for Isaac. He's popular enough, can help the Golden Sun franchise achieve more popularity (like Marth/Roy did for Fire Emblem), and he has great moveset potential, very similar to the more complicated movesets we're seeing in the likes of Megaman, Villager and Rosalina.

Maybe I'm just trying to remain optimistic, but I'm seeing positive signs.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
If the earth-based powers are unique enough to Sakurai, he may add him. Though I have my doubts still.
WTF, man really, I thought that you being frequently reading this post, would know that Isaac is not a ground type Pokemon. Compared to the other Nintendo characters Isaac is a demigod that holds the power of the nature.

Morbi

Scavenger
But it's the most brought up thing when it comes to Isaac's moveset.
I suppose there's the vines and his "Move" hand too, and his sword.
As long as Isaac's neutral special is that telekinetic hand push from Brawl... I will main him all day, every day. :awesome:

Seriously though, I really like the hand thing. It is actually what got me interested in his character.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I know almost nothing about this guy, but I know
1. He was an assist trophy.
2. There's a Brawl in the Family comic about him.
so I support him. :p

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
His hand psynergy would probably be reduced in size somewhat, so he might be able use it more often but it wouldn't cover the whole field.

Brings new meaning to "handgun". :p

If Sakurai doesn't see the potential in Isaac, then I'd have to wonder if he was trying hard enough. Not only does Isaac have potential conceptually (earth manipulation, hand psynergy, djinn) but these abilities would also make him unique visually in a battle. He's not just throwing magical slashes or particle effects.

Arteen

Smash Lord
If Isaac misses the roster, it will be because Sakurai found his notability lacking, not his uniqueness. His clever assist trophy ability is evidence of that.

Isaac could've been a straightforward attacker like other ATs. Goroh? Sword. Lyn? Sword. Gray Fox? Sword. Kat and Ana, who could have had some silly WarioWare-based abilities or even some cool ninja tricks? Sword. Little Mac just runs around punching, because what else can he do? Saki mixes up his slashes with projectiles, but like so many other ATs, he basically just pummels enemies until he disappears.

Isaac could've been the same. Show up, cast some attack psynergy move, then disappear. But no, Sakurai saw something in Isaac. Something not only unique, but central the series' gameplay. He saw his field psynergy and used it brilliantly. Isaac definitely brings something unique to Smash.

He also feels ready-made for the roster. He's got a a clear (and unrepresented) archetype: magic swordsman. He's got a consistent (and unrepresented) theme: earth magic. He's got an easy-to-envision playstyle that's reinforced by his Venus theme: a "grounded" character who excels on the ground but has a poor aerial and recovery game.

One look at what Isaac can do and players can "get" what he's about. He doesn't have a random mishmash of moves with no clear design.

He's all about terra firma.

Top Bottom