• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never played Dark Dawn, but always liked the idea of Bows being added. Spears and other weapons to, cause why not?

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Oh well, means that in the end, Ivan is the better summoner to due to his better Agility. Light blades are a lot better for offense to than maces, especially Tisiphone Edge (the hardest mother****ing weapon to get in Golden Sun ever) and he gets better equipment in general due to Golden Sun sexism.

I really like actually discussing Golden Sun here for a change. Feels refreshing in a way.
He gets a better weapon and thats all, unlike Hans, Garet, Felix and Piers, Ivan can not be equiped with Armours, Shields and Helms...

I actually would like to see a better balance of weapons in Golden Sun, the tiranny of Long Swords and Light Blades must end.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Awe snap, didn't mean to start a bunch of fights over Sheba... oh well!

Sheba was abandoned when she was a baby and decided to join Felix to discover her identity, to find her family. And she thought that in the Jupiter Lighthouse would find answers, but at the end she did not.

How can you make fun of that?
Like this:

:awesome:

But in all seriousness, I will say, Sheba should be a more interesting character... but the fact that she is basically a weaker clone of Ivan whose storyline gets practically cut out of the game really leaves her as the least interesting party member, imo. The only reason she's at all important is the whole shaman's rod thing, which, in the bigger picture, still feels pretty insignificant. Just one "dungeon"/area of many in TLA. If they had given her a more distinctive design and incorporated more about her, well...

supposedly falling from Anemos, the city which decided to abandon Weyard to go live in the sky, that would have been pretty awesome. Actually, I was really hoping we would visit Anemos in Dark Dawn, but, sadly, it failed to deliver.
All in all, Sheba was more interesting as a hostage at the end of the first game than anything else. But that's just my opinion, which, unlike KCCHIEFS27's, are not facts :p

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
My bad, you know some character have different names in other languages...
Hans, Garet, Ivan, Mia, Felix, Nadia, Sole, Piers.
Hans = Isaac
Nadia = Jenna
Sole = Sheba

I was using the english names but i was distracted when i writted that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh that's terrible...

I do remember N3ON saying this before however! She played the game in French. Did you happen to play it in German then?

Hans is a definite Germanic name, it's quite common in Dutch to. And I believe in Scandinavian countries to.

So happy that over here we don't syncronise everything to Dutch though. Would be so terrible...

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Oh that's terrible...

I do remember N3ON saying this before however! She played the game in French. Did you happen to play it in German then?

Hans is a definite Germanic name, it's quite common in Dutch to. And I believe in Scandinavian countries to.

So happy that over here we don't syncronise everything to Dutch though. Would be so terrible...
No, not even close. Im from Spain, i played Golden Sun in Spanish.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Is Hans a common name in Spain? Am guessing not but who am I to judge?

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Is Hans a common name in Spain? Am guessing not but who am I to judge?
It is not, i think that they changed the name of Isaac to Hans for motives of religion (my theory).
Edit: well perhaps it that doents make sense at all. But actually i would like to point that using an Spanish name in Golden Sun would be a HORRIBLE idea, it would destroy the "epic atmosphere" of all the game.

Simmilar to how "Burguer King" sounds better to us than how will sound "Rey de las haburguesas".

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Didn't actually play French GS, I played the NA one, I just remember being confused as to why Isaac had so many different names so I looked into finding all the variations.

I think in the French version Isaac is named Vlad? Could be a different one, but most of the alternate names are pretty unfitting for the region they were released in imo. Unless that's what Camelot was going for.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh my mistake! Weird how some names where changed and others didn't so much.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I agree with Raetah. The game would lose some of its "epic" scope if everyone had common names. Although it is weird that Isaac's name in particular changes so much.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Didn't actually play French GS, I played the NA one, I just remember being confused as to why Isaac had so many different names so I looked into finding all the variations.

I think in the French version Isaac is named Vlad? Could be a different one, but most of the alternate names are pretty unfitting for the region they were released in imo. Unless that's what Camelot was going for.
Yes, the french name of Isaac is Vlad. For information, Cloud name was Clad in french, and in my opinion, because they are both blond with spiked hairs, they chose a similar name.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree with Raetah. The game would lose some of its "epic" scope if everyone had common names. Although it is weird that Isaac's name in particular changes so much.
The more fun we'll have with Isaac just like we had with Jigglypuff and other Pokémon characters before. ;)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Kind of weird how his name changes so much in different nations. I'm so used to just calling him Isaac. Though I got to say, Vlad is a badass name nonetheless. Sounds like the name of a guy who could wreck house.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Vlad sounds a bit Russian to me...

EDIT: and his Spanish name is 'Hans'.
If you use your scrollwheel you can read in this same page the name of the characters in Spanish version. :p

Anyway, Vlad maybe could sound like shorter version of Vladimir. But maybe it comes from the two monarchs of Romania that inspired he character of Dracula.

Last edited:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't think Matthew is his biggest hurdle. Getting GS a spot is the big hurdle. I think Matthew and Isaac are working towards the same goal.

In terms of seeing Isaac as an assist trophy, I don't see that as a problem. Characters that were assist trophies were mainly from series that just didnt make the main roster for whatever reason, so being an AT was never really a negative for Isaac.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Considering SSB4 has a few assist trophy veterans already, we might see another Move-casting character as the assist trophy this time. Personally I'd prefer young Isaac on the roster, with Felix as the AT. Garet would also work as an AT, since he can also use Move. If Matthew's on the roster, I'd love it if adult Isaac was the AT.

It would be very cruel of Sakurai to reveal Isaac as an assist trophy again, only to later reveal Matthew on the roster.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
It would be very cruel of Sakurai to reveal Isaac as an assist trophy again, only to later reveal Matthew on the roster.
That seems like a very Sakurai thing to do.

I would prefer to have one of the supporting cast members rather than the main protagonists as an AT if we get a GS character. Garet for the GBA series if Isaac is included, and Sveta for DD if Matthew is included. We also could get another hand psyenergy motion, like Grip for example. Of course, if it's just move, Himi from DD is an option as well. But if Move is a part of Isaac/Matthew's moveset, I doubt the AT would use that move.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Think that if we'd get another Golden Sun character, it'll most likely be Felix or Matthew as an Isaac clone. And I'd rather opt for Felix because of his drastic different looks, as well as the potential of him being a slower, but heavier Isaac clone.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
That seems like a very Sakurai thing to do.
I think he might do the opposite: tease us with Matthew as an assist trophy and then gives us absolutely no info on Isaac's status for months, making fans freak the **** out.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Put me in the support list. I watch my roommate play Golden Sun one and two back in college (he had a hacked Wii) so I know a little bit about him but not enough to really discuss his move sets, stages, etc. I know from his regular attacks, psynergy, and djinns he has a ton of move set potential.

Arteen

Smash Lord
This will be maddening. Even if Isaac is revealed as an AT again, there's still the tiniest chance that Matthew will be on the roster instead. We won't receive the sweet release of death disconfirmation until the final roster gets leaked.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
This will be maddening. Even if Isaac is revealed as an AT again, there's still the tiniest chance that Matthew will be on the roster instead. We won't receive the sweet release of death disconfirmation until the final roster gets leaked.
If it gets leaked. Though, I don't know if they're aiming for a worldwide release date or not.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I posted this in the Shulk thread so I figured Id post it here as well. Not enough time, so I'll do another one in the future:

Merry new year!

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Rejoice my comrades, for in 2014 we will be able to play as Isaac in a Smash Brothers game

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

What are your guy's thoughts on the Isaac vs Shulk rivalry?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If it gets leaked. Though, I don't know if they're aiming for a worldwide release date or not.
Brawl didn't have a worldwide release and it still leaked. Despite Nintendo's efforts chances are good this one will leak too.

Rejoice my comrades, for in 2014 we will be able to play as Isaac in a Smash Brothers game
One way or another, that's probably true.

So...

Well over here we're all real big supporters of Shulk, if that wasn't obvious already. :troll:

Seriously though, it's a dumb rivalry. They both have a place in Smash as far as I'm concerned, and if one makes it while the other doesn't, my guess would be one just missed the cut-off while the other just made it, neither are overly likely, and they don't directly effect each other anyway.

That said, I don't think they're exactly on equal footing.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Two guys from a different series should not be considered rivals simply because they have the same hair color and swords.

Hell marth and ike have the same color hair and swords and are in the same franchise and are both still in

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So...

People putting down Shulk for stupid reasons, despite Isaac suffering from similar problems (and in some cases more problems) and yet he gets away with it.

In fact, it reminds me of Krystal and Wolf a tad in general.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Brawl didn't have a worldwide release and it still leaked. Despite Nintendo's efforts chances are good this one will leak too.
I meant a worldwide release date should mean that a leak is less likely. Though, I'm not sure if it counts as a leak if we just get the info from a game that is already released in Japan. I was referring to that, even if that might not actually be a "leak." If it's releasing in Japan first, then leaks don't matter at all because we'll have the full roster before we get the game anyway.

Did Brawl actually leak? Or just leak that way?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
So...

I sort of stepped into it accidentally. On the Shulk thread, even though I've been there for quite sometime and regularly talk about my love for Xenoblade, I get branded an anti-Shulk guy for mentioning just a few factors against the character. My thoughts? I hope the rivalry gets to be played out in the arena rather than on a forum. People will generally root for one more than the other depending on which game(s) they liked better.

People putting down Shulk for stupid reasons, despite Isaac suffering from similar problems (and in some cases more problems) and yet he gets away with it.

Not really. Everyone whose played both games generally loves both characters and wants them in the game. If you havent played both games, then you will naturally favor the character whose game you've played.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I think that Isaac have better chances of being playable in sbb4 than Shulk. And that considering that in my opinion Isaac possibilities are really low.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I meant a worldwide release date should mean that a leak is less likely. Though, I'm not sure if it counts as a leak if we just get the info from a game that is already released in Japan. I was referring to that, even if that might not actually be a "leak." If it's releasing in Japan first, then leaks don't matter at all because we'll have the full roster before we get the game anyway.

Did Brawl actually leak? Or just leak that way?
Considering leaks tend to happen much more frequently when the west gets involved, I wouldn't say having a worldwide release is a positive as far as preventing leaks goes. I mean look what happened with the worldwide release of X & Y.

And yes, Brawl actually leaked (several months before release - though people didn't believe the leakers until much closer to launch). Getting info from a game already out in Japan isn't a leak, I agree.

It's hardly that one-sided though.

Top Bottom