• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this the last Smash Bros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
My only hope is that Nintendo will let a competent developer (like Capcom) handle the next SSB game instead of leaving it at the mercy of some horribly misguided in-house development team.

Not going to happen, I know; but one can dream.

RedyBz

Smash Cadet
Well i'm hoping for it to be. I don't want to get another console just for Smash seriously. I did it with GC and Wii already.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
The rest of the Paper Mario series are RPGs. This one, for some reason, is mainly a puzzle/platformer, and a great one at that.

Also, Calvin&Hobbes > ALL. I also have a Calvin&Hobbes tattoo, because that's how much of a loser I am.

I've never understood why everyone thinks they did such a terrible job with Brawl. It's quite possibly the best casual game of all time, and still has enough depth to support a massive competitive community. I think I can forgive the few flaws it has.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well, hearing this does give me some incentive to play it. RPG's just got to repetitive for me, after Earthbound and SMRPG, I just quit with the genre.

I've wondered the same thing. Most people just hate Brawl because... well... Melee's better for competitve players, I guess. It's serious business when you spend 7 years playing the same game, you really don't want to give that up.

+1 agreement that C&H > All.

MRbloke

Smash Cadet
It's not his fault that a lot of Wii games are just plain bad. Oops, a controversial statement.
Too bad it's true

their licsensing sux, only capcom can publish a good third party game, and they can't
seem to take advantage of their needy memorable franchises on the wii, such as

F-Zero

Pikmin

Starfox

Eathbound( Mother 3 for crying out loud)

Pokemon ( PBR doesn't count)

it's a sad reality i face each day.

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
Of course there's gonna be another smash! Nitendo ain't that stupid, its a simple equation.

SMASH=REASONS TO BUY NINTENDO CONSOLE
REASONS TO BUY NINTENDO CONSOLE = OBVIOUS REASONS TO BUY GAME
OBVIOUS REASONS TO BUY GAME= MONEY
MONEY= MORE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So in short
BRAWL= MORE MONEY!!!!!

besides, we're still awaiting the appereance for characters from Megaman, Bomberman, and Kenshin (but i really doubt for this last one).

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Kenshin? Isn't he from a Japanese Cartoon? I didn't know he was in a game. Or am I thinking of another Kenshin.

That being said, there is no way that this is the Final Smash. I'm sure it was just a reference to the attack, the Final Smash (which most people forget because no one likes playing with items). Nintendo wouldn't quit a project as great as this. But I don't think we should plan for another one until the next System. We aren't that lucky. :p

Ange

Smash Lord
Well, following the chain of previous Smash titles, its kinda obvious the next game will be on the next Nintendo console. If its not then... wow.

And we more or less wait for characters such as Bowser Jr. (I think), King K. Rool (I think, again), Megaman and a couple more Im sure I missed.

BUUUUT lets not get off-topic. :bee:

D

Deleted member

I think it's pretty clear that they'll make another Smash game. It's an incredible series of games, and it brings in a ton of money. They won't give it up.

I put the odds at 90% for a new game, and 99.9% that the new game will be on the next console, not the Wii... Although an improved Brawl game for Wii would be nice. But that's not the topic right now...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It would be horrible on a handheld. Hard controls, little memory, and severe limitations.
You need to try Jump Ultimate Stars. Huge amount of characters (well over 50) assist trophy like summons, good number of stages, it would work very well.

Anyway, the only things that have come close to hinting at this being the last is

1) the add campaign that used the phrase "The Brawl to end them all" which is just an advert guys.

2) Sakurai saying he always tries to make the Smash games as if they're the last ever.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there was also that survey Ninty emailed people, asking if they'd be intersted in a sequel.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
How did the results turn out to be Mic? (although I'm pretty sure what the answer was/which bubble would've had the most popular vote)

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I still don't think that we won't get another Smash Bros some how. Someone in Nintendo is going to think about the people (Miyamoto most likely, if no one else will), and will give us another Brawl. Either that, or we'll blow up Japan. (See Smash Kingdom Melee on NewGrounds for the "Geno blowing up Japan" reference).

bobson

Smash Lord
Can you name any good Wii games that appeal to someone that liked Nintendo's older games?
Like... actual platforming and side-scrolling. Things like Donkey Kong 64, SM64, Banjo-Kazooie, the DKC series.

Super Mario Galaxy doesn't count.
Can you name any good platformers or sidescrollers on any current system? Those type of games left the building somewhere around last generation. Galaxy, LBP and Banjo-Kazooie pretty much sum up all the good platformers around.

And don't listen to the Super Paper Mario guy unless you're the type who'll sit through bad gameplay for good writing. That game is exemplary of why you should not hire an RPG crew to make a platformer.

You might like Wario Land: Shake It.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I must ask a question.

Since when was stating Wii games suck a 'controversial' statement.
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." Unfortunately, this does not apply to motion exclusively.

Remaking Pikmin 1 and 2 doesn't necessarily count. They're remakes. It would be nice if Nintendo would make some games for their core franchises.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Its going to be along time but there will be another one when new main system comes out.
Talk about it is much to early but I believe there will be.

Hand held not sure about that one.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Its going to be along time but there will be another one when new main system comes out.
Talk about it is much to early but I believe there will be.

Hand held not sure about that one.
It's hard to determine whether or not a handheld would play well. Maybe on the PSP, but I doubt the DS would be able to handle something like Brawl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's funny you ask this because Sakurai opinion on the matter has changed so much since E3 06. Here's pretty much a recent history of Smash.

2002- Sakurai leaves HAL because, essentially, he was sick of being "forced" to create sequels on a regular basis.

2004- Sakurai founds SORA in the hopes of creating new IPs.

2005- Iwata essentially tricks Sakurai into developing Brawl. Sakurai decides the roster in the course of 3 days.

2006-Brawl is announced. Sakurai explains that Brawl will probably be the last Smash Bros because he really wants to move onto new things.

2007- The Dojo becomes greatly expanded and the daily updates start. Sakurai's enthusiasm for the development of the game is made more than obvious. Sakurai expresses how much he enjoys working with the wide variety of people. He mentions that he doesn't want to direct the next Smash Bros but wouldn't mind be a part of process.

January 2008- Brawl is released in Japan.

March 2008, GDC- Sakurai talks about Brawl's development. Expresses how he loves the series too much to let it go just yet. He mentions he would like to direct the next game and already has a lot of ideas already being tossed around in his head but, understandably, he wants to wait a couple of years before seriously even considering starting development on another Smash Bros.

February 2009- Sakurai announces that SORA and Nintendo are teaming up to make a new IP and that SORA is in the process of becoming a second party. Sakurai announces that this new project will probably be released in 2011.

With all this being said, the chances of another Smash Bros is very high but the time span between Brawl and it will probably end up being as long as the one between Melee and Brawl.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
If Nintendo quits making smash they'll lose more than half of there fans.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I can't wait for SSBF (Super Smash Bros. Fandango if you didn't know)

"We have been thinking of so many possible names for SSB4, after the team spent a few hours of brainstorming we came up with 'Super Smash Bros. Fandango'" - Sakurai

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I can't wait for SSBF (Super Smash Bros. Fandango if you didn't know)

"We have been thinking of so many possible names for SSB4, after the team spent a few hours of brainstorming we came up with 'Super Smash Bros. Fandango'" - Sakurai
I hope one of the new characters is a paper bag puppet.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
No way are they getting with of something that makes them so much money. + What Fatmonice said + It's basically a playable advertisment. It has the main characters from all of Nintendo's well known game series's. No doubt people have played a character, loved them and then sought out their games. In fact I'm pretty sure there was a thread about just that a little while back.

There will be a SB4. When? That is the real question.

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo will continue to create more Smash Bros. games until the game has lost its juice. Right now, there is enough for about 3 more games, in my perspective.

Volts

Smash Cadet
it would have to be a toned down version of brawl which doesnt sound very good to me.:(

:094:
I don't see how that could be possible, brawl is about as user friendly as it gets.

Frankly I would be quite angry with Nintendo if they didn't make another SSB. They keep releasing mario party games, why can't they make SSB a cash cow staple?

M@v

Subarashii!
If nintendo is still making the $ off of Smash bros, they will keep making it. Its simple marketing really.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Chances are, another Smash Bros. will be made. Although, whether or not Sakurai will be involved with it is unknown.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
No, it's a platformer with RPG elements. It's also mediocre at best. And that's stretching it.
SPM wasn't as good as the other two, but it was a great game nevertheless. It was fun, innovative, humorous, AND had the best plot of any Mario game to date.

And I'm almost certain that there will be another Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd like Nintendo to die like Sega and develop games for better consoles.
... no, just no. If you're really that hung up on graphics then you can't call yourself a true gamer. I fully agree that the 360 and PS3 are much better when it comes to graphic power but to say that Nintendo is incapible of making satisfying experiences on less powerful systems is just plain ********. Honestly, case in point, the GBA and DS...

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Another one is coming with or without Sakurai. The series has become a cash cow and it's only a matter of time until Nintendo starts seeing $ signs again.

Just to go off on a tangent a little bit... Nintendo is only really succesful as it really is because they target people of all ages and not just hard core gamers. Nintendo focuses more on delivering games that will appeal to everyone and thus I believe that nintendo is kept plenty busy doing that, so they neglect the hardcore gamers.

360 and PS2/3 develops games that hardcore gamers really like. Hardcore gamers I think have a hard time trying to get into some pretty simple ideas that nintendo has made such as the brain age and wii sports stuff. They just aren't that fun, but they do have appeal to everyone else.

Now with that in mind, Smash is one of nintendo's few series that actually appeals to those hardcore gamer pretty well and taking off the project deveolpment seems extremely unlikely. Mario is getting pretty old, but they keep coming up with new ways to introduce him. Pretty much smash has become a name just as renowned as pokemon and Mario (weegee gets left behind again xP) only it's not something that you can spam multiple project delevopments on, so I think Smash will be a continued series so long as new gaming consoles come out.

For now, I wouldn't except any smash developments for a good longggg time. ssb64 came aroudn teh middle of 64s life time. melee at the beginning of Game cubes life time and brawl the same with wii (pretty early). So I see another Smash game coming out in probably 2015 when technology gets good enough to start another wave of Home Console gaming.

The DS on the other hard is a different matter. It would be a pretty big development and staging point for nintendo I think as they have never done a fighting style game for there handhelds that was developed by there 1st or 2nd party people. Most of there handheld names are strategic or something like that. At the very least outside of japan. They have developed real time fighting games before like Tales of the Tempest or something like that. I pretty much view the idea of handheld Smash can go either way 50-50.

Has anyone else heard that rumor about the "Brawl Channel" where you basically can download stuff for brawl to play with. If you haven't just google it and it will tell you. I have no idea of that was a hoxs or not, but I still think the idea has some merit. It seems possible as microsoft has done that with there games and it would be a money chance for nintendo why not take it. Although since nintendo I think hasn't done something like that before it's most likley not going to happen. But you can never be too hopeful :)

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully it won't be the last (smash is fun). But, as crystal above me pointed out, all the Smash games so far have had one-per-console. The N64 had SSB, GC had SSBM and the Wii has SSBB. Until another console comes out with better specifications, they probably wouldn't bother trying to make a sequel. I mean, a SSBB sequel would be an upgrade to Brawl, and it'd be hard to upgrade it using the exact same console with the exact same specifications.

If that made any sense xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom