• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this sonic any good

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Me and my friend were playing a few matches and i haven't faced any other sonic so i was wondering if he had an exceptional sonic. So could someone please critique his sonic for me also if you want you can say something about the sheik as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9VSMStWr-g

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
He tripped at the very start of the match, that means he fails.

But no really I'm at school, and the computers here are the suck for playing youtube videos, hell it's not even a video, more like a series of stop-motion pictures. Either I'll tell you when I get home and on my good computer, or another person will come here and tell you.

Browny

Smash Hater
firstly, WTF @ 0:27

it seems to me your friend is just a very good smash player, not so much an exceptional sonic player. hes got the spacing + timing of all his approaches and attacks down very well and knows how to edgeguard. hes still a great sonic dont get me wrong but i think that can be attributed to his knoledge of brawl more than sonic in general. that video just reminded me of early sonics like lucky where they didnt use ASC or tilts but pretty much spammed b-airs as an approach

Tenki

Smash Hero
on vid:

0:00-0:25 ?- Nice double jump feints ;d
0:25-0:35 - WTF was that at 0:29!? he like, went from DAC to N-air.
0:40-1:00 - Excellent reading ;]
etc- nice reading and double jump feints XD
4:45 - That homing attack was such a gamble, but it was a gamble well won xD
6:00 - lol music change to that boss song!

Overall:
That was pretty tasty.

It was sorta unique, really. Unique/good points:
- He uses alot of 'blank' homing attacks off-stage, and I do that too, but he uses HA from the ledge alot more than you'd see from other Sonic players, and he does it so if he's out of range, he'll bounce off the edge, which was cool. Some of the HA stuff he did was kinda dangerous but I guess he gambled well on this fight xD.
- Double jump feints (jumping at opponent > double jumping to avoid their attack > fast-fall aerial). It's a basic feint that any character can do, but he uses them well, especially by the edges =D
- Reading/F-smash camping. He does this well ;d
- Alot of side-B, instead of down-B usage. Cool.
- Fastfall was cool.

I'm still wondering about that U-smash > N-air he did at the beginning. For anyone who can't see the vid, he did DAC or running U-smash, slid off and did N-air. wtf.

It was pretty good, actually.

Improvements/things that coulda been done:
- I noticed he never attacks/airdodges immediately after up-B. I'm not sure if he knows about this, but he could have moved further out of his up-B if he did. It looked like he didn't really need it for the most part anyway.
- I want more icing on the steak. Just... personally. Does he know about spin cancels? Granted, they shouldn't be a staple of the playstyle, but some here or there could have been pretty. ;]
- fell into alot of vanish traps D:

good stuff.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I can't really say too much not knowing Sonic's meta game (Why am I in the Sonic boards anyway?) but that was a very good Sonic. I don't know what was so good but he was good. :D

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
on vid:

0:00-0:25 ?- Nice double jump feints ;d
0:25-0:35 - WTF was that at 0:29!? he like, went from DAC to N-air.
0:40-1:00 - Excellent reading ;]
etc- nice reading and double jump feints XD
4:45 - That homing attack was such a gamble, but it was a gamble well won xD
6:00 - lol music change to that boss song!

Overall:
That was pretty tasty.

It was sorta unique, really. Unique/good points:
- He uses alot of 'blank' homing attacks off-stage, and I do that too, but he uses HA from the ledge alot more than you'd see from other Sonic players, and he does it so if he's out of range, he'll bounce off the edge, which was cool. Some of the HA stuff he did was kinda dangerous but I guess he gambled well on this fight xD.
- Double jump feints (jumping at opponent > double jumping to avoid their attack > fast-fall aerial). It's a basic feint that any character can do, but he uses them well, especially by the edges =D
- Reading/F-smash camping. He does this well ;d
- Alot of side-B, instead of down-B usage. Cool.
- Fastfall was cool.

I'm still wondering about that U-smash > N-air he did at the beginning. For anyone who can't see the vid, he did DAC or running U-smash, slid off and did N-air. wtf.

It was pretty good, actually.

Improvements/things that coulda been done:
- I noticed he never attacks/airdodges immediately after up-B. I'm not sure if he knows about this, but he could have moved further out of his up-B if he did. It looked like he didn't really need it for the most part anyway.
- I want more icing on the steak. Just... personally. Does he know about spin cancels? Granted, they shouldn't be a staple of the playstyle, but some here or there could have been pretty. ;]
- fell into alot of vanish traps D:

good stuff.
This pretty much wraps it up.

0:26 was crazy. I thought maybe because it was just upsmash off the level, or that he got pushed off due to usmash's knockback through shield, but Sheik was nowhere near the edge when he did it.

Pretty awesome Sonic. I've been experimenting more with feinting on Sonic's jumps, and this video pretty much illustrates how good they are.

EDIT: Where did you get that Sexy Sonic 1-Level Remix Music you used in the vid?

I heard Green Hill, and I was like "awesome", but then it shifted to Marble Garden, and I almost eargasmed.

Umby

Smash Master
Maybe it only happens when DAC'd then, because I can recall multiple times doing a hyphen smash at the edge and not having that happen.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If we could control that, an u-smash spike to BOXOBbair combo would be IS ALREADY too sexy.
Fixed.

Also I'm going to edit this post with my two cents now that I can watch the video properly.

Edit: To start off, wth happened with the hyphen-Usmash to Nair combo, we need to know!

Other than that actually, this guy plays the same way I do minus the extensive use of HA offstage and the normal run-up dash attack approach, toherwise yeah I am a very aggressive Sonic.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
That's a very good Sonic. Reminds me a lot of Lucky's in that he just kept you in his element all the time. There were a lot of things he didn't put to use that he could have and I think that hurt him a little bit; I think he was mostly just relying on pure skill rather than any particularly unique usage of Sonic's move-set.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hmm...that hyphen smash off the edge thing in the beginning could be similar to Ness's yo-yo trick. Definatley needs more investigation.

To answer the question, yes. That IS a good Sonic/

samper

Smash Cadet
While I don't keep up with the Shiek metagame, I'm pretty sure anti-Sonic tactics include more needle storms to shut down or at least slow down Sonic's ground based approaches. As for the Sonic player, I agree with some of the others about him being good at the basics of the game (spacing and edgeguarding).

But yeah...I'd really like to know what happened with that dashing Usmash at the begining, I've never gotten Usmash to go off of a platform before as it typically stops at the edge, let alone done an aerial out of it. It almost looked like he cancelled the attack right when it hit its peak since the blue trail didn't follow him down. If you could ask the guy if he knows how he did that and tell us about it, that would be appreciated. I'd like to know how he did it and if you can do it anywhere or just when Sonic will go off of an edge.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
This pretty much wraps it up.

0:26 was crazy. I thought maybe because it was just upsmash off the level, or that he got pushed off due to usmash's knockback through shield, but Sheik was nowhere near the edge when he did it.

Pretty awesome Sonic. I've been experimenting more with feinting on Sonic's jumps, and this video pretty much illustrates how good they are.

EDIT: Where did you get that Sexy Sonic 1-Level Remix Music you used in the vid?

I heard Green Hill, and I was like "awesome", but then it shifted to Marble Garden, and I almost eargasmed.
Overclocked remix.com

PK Webb

Smash Champion
While I don't keep up with the Shiek metagame, I'm pretty sure anti-Sonic tactics include more needle storms to shut down or at least slow down Sonic's ground based approaches. As for the Sonic player, I agree with some of the others about him being good at the basics of the game (spacing and edgeguarding).

But yeah...I'd really like to know what happened with that dashing Usmash at the begining, I've never gotten Usmash to go off of a platform before as it typically stops at the edge, let alone done an aerial out of it. It almost looked like he cancelled the attack right when it hit its peak since the blue trail didn't follow him down. If you could ask the guy if he knows how he did that and tell us about it, that would be appreciated. I'd like to know how he did it and if you can do it anywhere or just when Sonic will go off of an edge.
the needles don't work well on that stage. if you didn't notice while he was charging if i threw a needle it didn't hit due to the dips in the stage so needles weren't gonna help alot. He never did that before he doesn't know what caused it but he is looking into it

samper

Smash Cadet
Ah, okay, hadn't noticed that bit on the needles before. I'd show that and maybe a few more videos to the Shiek boards if you want better feedback, but definatly let us know if that guy ever figures out how he did that Usmash trick.

Rotimer

Smash Cadet
WTB answer to Usmash offside Nair thing...

I've been trying to recreate it for 2 days.... nothing.

anyone?

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
If usmash could be cancelled on stage... That would be ****ing sexy as hell. I doubt it though..

Edit: Oh, Usmash clanked with Sheik's jab. Nothing to see here folks :(

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
are you sure? sheik doesn't seem to be close enough.
Actually, it looks more likely that Sheik's shield pushed Sonic off the edge. Either way, I'm pretty positive Sheik made it happen. Shield push sounds much more likely.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Yea my friend have been trying to recreate the moment and no dice. It probably does have to do with sheik

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
why are some people quoting me? either way that sonic was more of a smash player. like some mentioned, some spin dash combos could be effective, but dont spam it against certain people like shiek, because she could stop it entirely with her needles.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
Your friend is good with sonic but your friend needs to attack more and attack when a opponent is about to go back to the stage other than that good job.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Your friend is good with sonic but your friend needs to attack more and attack when a opponent is about to go back to the stage other than that good job.
Yeah... attacking more definitely does not guarantee success... especially with Sonic. o.o I'm beginning to doubt that your a good sonic.

Top Bottom