• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any hope?

cjugs

Smash Ace
Is there any hope for link to be a strong character? i mean i am beating all but one person in my crew and the one i can't beat says that my link has already peaded. is there any hope to be a legit player at this game? or are we all doomed to just switch to a high tier? i am aware that germ and hdl can beat alot of good people but HDL later was beaten horribly by m2k's sheik. i am a huge fan of Germ but i hear stories about how he isn't as good as he used to be is that because he is doing other things? or is link just a bad charcter.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Play as someone worse and win then play as link and learn. I don't think you will win to much because you don't even believe in who you play as. DO you enjoy playing as link? If so enjoy, if not play as someone esle you don't have to change because you are unable to win by yourself.

Sorry but I hate it when someone is whining about how they don't think someone 4x better than my chartcer can't win. I do really well with someone worse so learn to mater your tools not to throw away.

My pichu is harder to deal with than all the top tiers I play as meaning I can do better with pichu v smarth than marth vs marth even if I p[lay as marth every other day.

cjugs

Smash Ace
i would Hardly call that post a whine. I see what you mean about that and i've thought about that but i love playing as link but how much playing do i do when i am CG to 80 percent to start every match how much playing am i actually doing? u know what im saying? or trying to attack falco or getting wave shined across the stage.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I know how bad it can be I once was CT so bad in one match I only did 22% in 4 stocks(as pichu) when I was much worse, but I didn't john I said I was 2 2 good and LOLed. i've been CT for 15 minutes staight and I laughted the whole way thought. As pichu EVERYONE gas a chain throw or tech chase on me that is beyond eay to do, I don't john pichu can't take hits.

Codi

Smash Ace
Main link and get a secondary character that can take out other characters that counterpick you. If you want to be strictly a Link main then learn the match up its gonna be hard learning a character that isn't fully developed but eventually you'll be able to do decently if you practice hard enough

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
There's still more metagame tactics to learn and mindgames, like I didn't combo,edge gaurd, or spam. And I can win mostly off of mindgames and really good di. Really adpating is huge don't be predictable. In truth I don't think I can combo as anyone decently the biggest combo i've ever goten off with falcon was like 4 hits, including the tech chase.

Yeah I don't think I can or even play as someone good and win because I don't know what to do with decent options like as falco I space f-tilt a lot and I rarly approach because I don't feel as safe as pichu DDing around when i'm lasering people

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Link is horrible.

You could worse, but Link is bad at winning, especially against good people. He's too slow. He has answers for everything, but he's usually too slow to use them.

Skler

Smash Master
If Link has Young Link's ftilt speed he'd be pretty viable, or at least better against everyone but Fox.

Too bad he takes seven years to lift his sword.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I love his grab range. The most ridiculous grab range my friends are used to are (of course) Marth's, but when you pull out something that, like, grabs you from the other side of FD, it's freakin' annoying because you can shield grab, lol. That said, I only like Link for his other games.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
There is no hope. Link sucks and you will never win against people that are better than you with better characters that know how to beat Link.

However, there is hope that you can get better than anyone you play and beat those around your level even when they use better characters.

That should be a given by now. Get used to it and get better. :)

There is always hope ;)

Spife

Smash Master
Pick up a high tier, when you get cp'd you use your high tier, stop using link, look back and wonder wtf it was you were even doing, ???, profit.

but no seriously play other characters, it'll make you better and stuff.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Here's an idea. Play lots of characters and see what matchups you like the best. Then use link in those mus and pick other characters for other mus. I use yoshi against spacies, Sheik against cfalcon and marth, Link against peach and jiggs and most other low tiers. and then Ganon when im angry.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
In theory Link's not a horrific secondary against floaties and Ice Climbers. Most people blow at the matchup or have never played it, so you get that going for you.

Skler

Smash Master
Link goes even vs ICs! Unless it's RC or FD, in which case it becomes one sided for Link or the ICs respectively.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Link is horrible.

You could worse, but Link is bad at winning, especially against good people. He's too slow. He has answers for everything, but he's usually too slow to use them.
Good answer. Btw this guy is in my crew and I'm the guy he can't beat. His link isn't bad, around Legans level, but I can tell it will never beat me, or anyone as good as me so I suggested playing a different character along with link, and saving link for the few matchups he is viable in and will see in tournament (marth....pikachu....marth...I guess icees but my icees rip you to shreds...)?

Skler

Smash Master
Good answer. Btw this guy is in my crew and I'm the guy he can't beat. His link isn't bad, around Legans level, but I can tell it will never beat me, or anyone as good as me so I suggested playing a different character along with link, and saving link for the few matchups he is viable in and will see in tournament (marth....pikachu....marth...I guess icees but my icees rip you to shreds...)?
Link is so not good against Marth it's scary. Most Marths are just really bad against Link.

Peach is more winnable than Marth and Jiggs is probably more winnable than Peach (I've never gotten to play Starving box or Orange before, though I have played Crad a few times).

Link still isn't really GOOD against any of those characters though. His matchup vs ICs is decent too.

Legan

Smash Lord
around Legan lvl?! You use that phrase waay too lightly. Get at mah melee link >=0.

and yea i have been gettin ***** by marth with link and ive been like wtf is wrong with me since supposedly that is a good matchup and then i was like lol aniki vs ken, i should probably stop using that as a mu reference.

Iceys are no prob

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
IC, Peach, Puff, Ganon, bad characters.

The "who can I play Link against?" guide.

Zodiac

Smash Master
The short and painful answer is no, he is not viable, he almost viable, but not quite. I main link and secondary sheik, no, its not because I heart high tier, its cause sheik is a ocarina of time character to. If you main link cause you love the zelda series then theres no harm in picking up sheik. Thats the only reason I use either of them.

It's not a bad match-up for Ice Climbers. It's just better for Link than most high tiers.
I really like that match up actually, I also really like link vs jiggs, even though its hard for link. After learning to combat fox/falco the other high tiers dont seem so bad.

Spife

Smash Master
It's not a bad match-up for Ice Climbers. It's just better for Link than most high tiers.
which means he ****s on them >__>

edit: what would make link 1,000,000 times better is if you could jc his up-b.

Skler

Smash Master
IC, Peach, Puff, Ganon, bad characters.

The "who can I play Link against?" guide.
Truth, though I'd add "any character (aside from Sheik or Fox) of a player who has little to no Link experience."

Too bad everyone has lots of tourny experience nowadays.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Rip me to shreds? I dont think so i will still give you the biz untill you don't screw up your cgs so im enjoying my time. once you don't mess that up i will probably go sheik.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Dude, guys...
utilt to dair.
Reverse utilt to dair.
Jabs to dtilt to dair.
Nair.
Nair to nair.
Nair to nair to nair.
L-cancelled bair to grab.
Bomb tricksies.
Boomerang.
Boomerand to the face for 18%.
Returning boomerang to whatever you want.
Uair.
Uair juggling.
His friggin recovery.
His respectable range.
Dthrow to upb or uair.

^^^That's a list made in the past minute off the top of my head of link's strengths, perks and combos I'm missing quite a bit of them. He has his shortcomings too, such as being a sucker for cg's and juggling, but guys...he isn't THAT bad. He's just underused. And unless more srs bsns link mains pop up, he's gonna stay that way. That's pretty likely, considering newcomers almost always pick up and stick with a hi tier like falco or jiggz for the simple truth that smashboards rightfully says they're a good, solid pick and have deeply explored their metagames.

...so yeah, like HDL once said, I think there's hope of link winning national tournaments. He just needs to be used more!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I doubt it. Link isn't going anywhere in terms of national victories. He may improve by some brilliant discovery (doubt it, but it's plausible) and up his game so he's worthy of making brackets at the bulk of events instead of being snuffed out during pools, maybe, but he's not going to win the whole thing. He doesn't have the potential. Too many unfairly bad matchups await him and no matter how much his punishment game improves, he'll always be hindered by Sheik's 0-death on him and her general existence, his horrific mobility, and Fox's general existence.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Hdl was in a deathpool at pound 4, and was just 1 win away from making it out. Even though he's arguably the greatest link player right now, he still isn't as close to perfect as other well known high tier mains. Also, just because link has bad mobility, fox is fox, and sheik is sheik does not mean that link has nothing to make up for his poor mobility, no way to combat those two delinquents or that he can't put up a great fight against the rest of the higher tiers. Great points though.

I'm just saying - look at how much more deep and up-to-date the higher tiers' guides are and how much more active they are. If the link boards and community stay like they are now, then yeah, I totally agree - link doesn't have a chance of placing high, let alone winning large-scale tournaments. We gotta get more active! Link mains deserve better than this!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm not entirely sure that you understand how bad his speed is. His abysmal attack speed and mobility affect and bleed into virtually every other aspect of his game. His attack speed and cooldown (on most moves) make it difficult to effectively zone characters that camp him via movement (Fox, Falcon, Marth) and because of his own issues abusing movement, you can see the trouble in trying to compete with them -- he gets ***** if he does. He's simply too slow.

This results in him being horrible at getting the first important hit. This is very bad when you're fighting a character like Sheik that can legitimately take your stock for one hit. It's also bad against a character like Fox, who grossly outcamps him by such a ridiculous margin that he can actually decide not to get hit for whole minutes if he plays gay.

Even if his punish game improves to close the punishment disparity in those matchups (because Fox can still hit Link very, very hard given the right moves), his own fragility and slowness will hurt him too much.

Top Bottom