• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any control scheme that makes the grab button work 100% of the time?

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I'm asking this because I'm incredibly sick of trying to grab with the Z button and instead a shield pops up, or I try and do a reverse grab and my character just does a roll backward instead.

It's thoroughly annoying to have a button try and do another button's job right in the middle of a fight. Is there any setup so I can avoid this?

MattNF

Smash Lord
There's nothing wrong with the button, you're just not doing it right. If you hold Z too long you'll shield. So to grab properly, you have to press Z faster.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
You can also try pressing L/R + A. I use this method, however, if you're not fast enough, you'll still get a instant-shield pop-up.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This is mainly due to you grabbing before the grab animation ends.
Instead, you shield. If you grab, then try to grab before it finishes, it has the same effect as holding 'z'.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
This is mainly due to you grabbing before the grab animation ends.
Instead, you shield. If you grab, then try to grab before it finishes, it has the same effect as holding 'z'.
Yes.

This is an astoundingly ******** feature to put in the game, and I want to know if I can fix it somehow.

It's like saying if you hold the A button too long after a smash, you'll transition into a special. Why would they make one button do another button's job?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think this is just a failsafe to prevent a neverending chaingrab.
Like how Dedede's standing infinite on DK can often be screwed up by grabbing too soon.

Also, if you miss a grab, you automatically shield to prevent taking a hit, I guess.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I personally use Y to grab, it's great since you get so used to pressing your jump button (usually X) that you naturally press Y fast, resulting in you almost never shielding. I hate the dumb Z button configuration, plus, my Z button is a bit sticky.

:035:

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
I us B and 2, although I use a Wiimote *gasp* so it is probably irrelevant to your need. I've played a little bit with Brawl on a GC controller, and I enabled it, at the time, to L and A. This problem is exactly similar to the B and 2 grab as opposed to the Minus grab.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I may try assigning my X button to grab, NDedede. I don't need two jump buttons.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Z normally, Y if I use Falco (teh chaingrabsors).

But there is no chance you get a grab 100%, neither is there a chance to turn off the auto-shield when holding the grab button.

All you have to do is simply press the button once. And you can press it again as soon as the grab animation is over (should you mess it).

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
i use y to grab. especially being a ice climber main it makes cg's easier. and usually i never have to worry about the shield popping up.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Change C-stick to grab and keep moving it, your character won't stop grabbing in like forever.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
This is a fairly innovative solution but I need my smashes.

oh jeez post 666
Lol. That's my favorite number.

But seriously, I have that same problem too. I would suggest to keep using the z button for grabs, but just practice just tapping the z button, so you don't shield. I can't imagine changing the grab to x, cause I jump with that all the time, and I'm so used to short hopping on x. Just keep practicing. Good luck! :)

Edit: I forgot. Why would you use c stick for smashes unless your doing dash cancels?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Lol. That's my favorite number.

But seriously, I have that same problem too. I would suggest to keep using the z button for grabs, but just practice just tapping the z button, so you don't shield. I can't imagine changing the grab to x, cause I jump with that all the time, and I'm so used to short hopping on x. Just keep practicing. Good luck! :)

Edit: I forgot. Why would you use c stick for smashes unless your doing dash cancels?
C-sticking aerials allows for better mobility, and smashing with the c-stick always ensures you of the fastest possible smash.

ozzie544

Smash Cadet
you should try to use the b button and a button at the same time it works for me about 90% of the time that you would want to use it.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
This is a fairly innovative solution but I need my smashes.
It sort of depends on which character you use. If you play Oli for instance, yeah, you'll need your c-stick. But if you play Bowser or something where the smashes are really only practical if you have the time to perform them (via holding A instead of c-stick) then you can go ahead and assign grab to C instead.

p.s. why is everyone saying they jump with x? I've been a y jumper forever :). oh well

ozzie544

Smash Cadet
ya i guss but i think it is way more complocated than to just use the B&A buttion and it is pretty fast to i think.

ozzie544

Smash Cadet
that is so tru like if you use a slow charecter the grab is alot slower and if you use the a fast charecter the grab is way faster.

ozzie544

Smash Cadet
no i think you should use the B&A buttons to practce and it is pretty moble i guss and if you miss it does take a sec to attack.

ozzie544

Smash Cadet
yeah but the ice climbers grab is so shrot i wish samus had her old grab like in melee it wa so much better and it went farther too.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
hey its THE pieman :D and he lives in tucson...weird...

but my advice for not shielding is either the c-stick set to grabs, and that way there is no possible way to shield after you grab, or get a character that can buffer grabs (pikachu), and practice buffering them, and once you get that pretty consistently, you can't shield if you do it right, and it will help with normal grabs with other characters...or at least it has for me

FatalFrost

Smash Rookie
I grab with X. Works nicely, knowing that X doesn't actually do much for me anyway.

Default Controls except:
X = Grab (Grab replacement)
Z = Attack (DAC)

Smudge

Smash Lord
I personally use Y to grab, it's great since you get so used to pressing your jump button (usually X) that you naturally press Y fast, resulting in you almost never shielding. I hate the dumb Z button configuration, plus, my Z button is a bit sticky.

:035:
Couldn't have put it better.

Well, maybe without the Clefairy :p

Top Bottom