• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Staled Uairs > Rest a viable combo?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Since Uair has quite weak knockback, which gets even weaker as you stale it, is it possible to connect with a couple of them and then jump and quickly use Rest before they can airdodge? Since you're pressuring them upwards at the same time, it would mean you need lower percents for Rest to kill too.

I accept that this combo may not work, but when I've done it usually I can get it to land, but that might be because my opponent doesn't expect it. Is it a true combo? (Or, at least, can it be if you predict when they airdodge?)

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Since Uair has quite weak knockback, which gets even weaker as you stale it, is it possible to connect with a couple of them and then jump and quickly use Rest before they can airdodge? Since you're pressuring them upwards at the same time, it would mean you need lower percents for Rest to kill too.

I accept that this combo may not work, but when I've done it usually I can get it to land, but that might be because my opponent doesn't expect it. Is it a true combo? (Or, at least, can it be if you predict when they airdodge?)
it depends. I had a puff try to do that to me but I DI'd and they missed the rest.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Susa posted the same topic in the Q&A thread a while back. Assuming your Uairs are THAT stale, then yeah, it'd work.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Thanks, Noobicidal. So how much would you say you'd have to stale Uair? Four or five times? I might have to consider fighting on Shadow Moses Island and Luigi's Mansion more often...

Off topic: I love your sig. Did you make it yourself?

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Thanks, Noobicidal. So how much would you say you'd have to stale Uair? Four or five times? I might have to consider fighting on Shadow Moses Island and Luigi's Mansion more often...
I've heard 4+ work, but I haven't personally looked into it.

Off topic: I love your sig. Did you make it yourself?
No, I was in the process of making one but some of my PS files got corrupted, so I used this one in it's place until I'd have the time to make another one.

That happened in January...

SuSa

Banned via Administration

The opponent has 3 options. I frame-by-frame tested.

1) They airdodge to avoid the second uair (which then you FF and Rest <3)

2)They have an insane fast dair that is disjointed enough to hit you out and comes out in >5 frames. (I can't remember if it was 5 or 7...)

3) They get hit.

SMI is banned, but this is great on Luigi's Mansion / Yoshi's Island

4-5 times stale.

Only really works on fastfallers (Sheik, Falco) and possibly heavyweights (Ganon, Bowser)

Since posting it in the Q&A thread, I've done it 5 more times. It's viable, just situational as hell.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Thank you so much SuSa. :)

BTW, I know SMI is banned, but I don't play in tourneys so that doesn't affect me.

Metatitan

Smash Master
If you want to do this pick castle siege or brinstar. Its the easiest way to get stale u airs there.
Yep. On brinstar u can just uair the flesh of the stage. Itl help your combo potential with uair and make your Bair and Fair become kill moves that each do 12% (yes Bair can kill).

PND

Smash Champion
I actually use bair to kill more than fair when facing a Sonic. Due to his speed, I mostly approach with fair due to it having a longer lasting hitbox than bair, so it keeps him in check and helps eliminate his retreat then attack options. It completely walls him off. I kill with bair, or whatever else I can hit.

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
I think it would help if you hit your opponent within the last couple of frames of uair's duration (this only applies on the very first hit of the uair juggle). All the proceeding hits after that must start within the first couple of frames of uair's duration.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Yep. On brinstar u can just uair the flesh of the stage. Itl help your combo potential with uair and make your Bair and Fair become kill moves that each do 12% (yes Bair can kill).
In melee this was a combo but now you get punished after only two or three u-airs. U-air dosn't have any real kill potential and is rarely a follow-up attack choice.

So if stale u-airs have some combo potential, its a great idea to keep them stale. It's best used on characters with laggy startups on moves that protcect them from below.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I actually use bair to kill more than fair when facing a Sonic. Due to his speed, I mostly approach with fair due to it having a longer lasting hitbox than bair, so it keeps him in check and helps eliminate his retreat then attack options. It completely walls him off. I kill with bair, or whatever else I can hit.
Hmmm... this makes sense.

I've been using fair more in my non-last stocks against Lucario and Marth lately.

Top Bottom