• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Samus hard or easy to main?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
There's a great deal of learning needed to main Samus. She's not an easy character to master, most people toss her to the side because they rely on strong smashes to win.

Well, if you take the time to learn utilizing her zair, missiles, bombs, and whatnot, you can overcome your tough matchups. She's really not that easy to main, but I have nothing but respect for Samus mains. Are you considering Samus?

Ravin

Smash Lord
Her learning curve is stupid. She is /very/ hard to master, you can have a "style" to play with her, certains ways to play with her. The range goes from camping to close combat, to offstage and recovery abilities. her being a heavy and able to float like Lucario gives you a wide range of "chances" to use her in differen't ways. Her excellent recovery and bombs help also open up more doorways then you would with other characters.

So yes, she is a good character to attempt to "master" If your willing to be frustrated and put the time into it.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Oh, and I really don't think you want to hang out here. You have possibly the hardest mod to deal with.
This might even get closed.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Dryn is a cool guy. He might close it down and reopen the Q & A thread, if anything.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Dryn is a cool guy. He might close it down and reopen the Q & A thread, if anything.
I read what Hylian wrote yesterday in the Q&A thread that I closed. He said that I or some other member should create a Q&A thread. I'm working on one right now, and since we don't have one open right now, I won't close this one. I'm trying to figure out questions that would be asked by newcomers.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I read what Hylian wrote yesterday in the Q&A thread that I closed. He said that I or some other member should create a Q&A thread. I'm working on one right now, and since we don't have one open right now, I won't close this one. I'm trying to figure out questions that would be asked by newcomers.
Something along the lines of:

How large is Samus' learning curve?

What's the best way to use Samus?

What are her most difficult match-ups?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Something along the lines of:

How large is Samus' learning curve?

What's the best way to use Samus?

What are her most difficult match-ups?
Those are good. I wouldn't mind being given help on those questions. I think a lot of Samus main veterans have an idea of the best way to use Samus, so I'm not too worried on getting assistance for that question.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'd post here more often, but I'm not too familiar with Brawl Samus. :(
You should also add something about the best moves to use against a certain character.

=)@MePlz

Smash Apprentice
It's called being responsible. I have been granted a position of being a moderator of the Samus Character Discussion, and so I have a responsibility of moderating this board. I'm not the first person to have been displeased with, just because I'm doing my job. Other moderators before me have put up with the same thing.

Another good Q: good secondary for Samus?

Ravin

Smash Lord
Another good Q: good secondary for Samus?
Metaknight <_<

Edit - I could make one if you want Dryn. Considering i typically glance over the Samus forums a few times a day because I have nothing better to do with my time.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Metaknight <_<

Edit - I could make one if you want Dryn. Considering i typically glance over the Samus forums a few times a day because I have nothing better to do with my time.
If you want to, you're more than welcome to. I'm going to send you a PM right now.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Oh, and I really don't think you want to hang out here. You have possibly the hardest mod to deal with.
This might even get closed.
Was that really necessary? Dyrn's doing a great job lol. He is also pretty lenient actually.

I think I'll start to hang around here more... :).

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It was just picking fun at Dryn. :)
My apoligies, I didn't think it would be taken so seriously.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Was that really necessary? Dyrn's doing a great job lol. He is also pretty lenient actually.

I think I'll start to hang around here more... :).
If by "lenient," you mean I haven't given out any infractions yet, then yes. :laugh:

Also, you misspelled my name, Hylian. :laugh: I noticed a number of people have done so, whether it was intentional or by accident.

Besides MK maybe?
I personally think Donkey Kong would be a good choice. You might also want to try using Zero Suit Samus to use Samus at her fullest. Let's say you go up against a person whom Samus would not do so well against, but Zero Suit Samus would. All you'd have to do then is shed the Power Suit and you've moved up from a low-tier to a high-tier, I believe.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
^That's what I do. 'Cept I'm insane enough to transform in battle ^_^

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
@ =)@MePlz - I like Lucario as a secondary, he has all the good stuff Samus has except Z-air and spike. But even though his dair doesn't spike its still awesome, and his fair is combo crazy and can maybe compared to a short range zair. And he has a chain grab at lower percentages and his jab>jab sets up cg. And his smashes are awesome, and his tilts rock. But yeah check out their boards, haven't been there in awhile, they have cool people over there. If you think you like Lucario the Inner Fire vids are a must to watch.

Side note: Yay Hylian's semi-back :)... or is that a bad thing?

Ravin

Smash Lord
Personally... I main Samus, Sub Zelda. Two of the most random off characters. Zelda lacks Samus's Recovery, but makes up for proirty and KO ability. Limited Range, but Samus makes up for that. So its like a coin toss. You give them a Samus fight , then throw them off if you happen to lose, BUT also to this you have another two characters to use mid battle. IE Shiek and ZSS. So this way, instead of getting two people to use, you can have four. Covering most of your matchups

Hive

Smash Lord
I don't know I've always thought samus was pretty hard to main, but then again I haven't really mained anyone outside of her so I can't say that objectively. :/
You do have to be really good with her before it starts to come out competitively though, and she does rely on a lot of small ats imo, especially with her ledge game, and you have to learn how to space really well, and put together short burst combos that depend on what situation your in. so imo she is pretty hard. i've heard people say that they've had trouble trying to pick her up, especially getting used to her floatiness, timing, and the situations of her moves. However, i've heard a few others say they thought she was pretty easy too, so idk.

whatever she is, she's pretty **** kwl ^^

=)@MePlz

Smash Apprentice
Personally... I main Samus, Sub Zelda. Two of the most random off characters. Zelda lacks Samus's Recovery, but makes up for proirty and KO ability. Limited Range, but Samus makes up for that. So its like a coin toss. You give them a Samus fight , then throw them off if you happen to lose, BUT also to this you have another two characters to use mid battle. IE Shiek and ZSS. So this way, instead of getting two people to use, you can have four. Covering most of your matchups
Cool. I'm pretty fluent with Sheik and ZSS already. :p

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
I like samus's style a lot...But how long did it take to "master" Samus?

The reason I'm putting this here is because the Q+A thread is closed.

Thanks!
well, first of all, the game is much, much to young for anyone to have "mastered" any character. but if what your asking is how long does it take to get "good" with her, i would have to say a long time. espically if you don't have high level people to practice with. like previously stated, you should expect to go a good long while before seeing great results with her. i mean face it, she has alot of bad matchups, she can barely KO, she gets rapped by anything within an arm or swords length (you darn marth's and mk's), and well, she is a girl lol. but all that matters less and less with practice practice practice. not to mention how funny it is when a high tier chararacter user loses to her and blaims the matchup claiming that its way in her favor cause of zair or w/e when in reality the are complete counters to her =p. all in all, she is hella fun and there isn't any character like her and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I tried out Samus. She is pretty tough to use. I suck playing as her. I'm like the opposite of Dryn. I hardly use zair or missiles. I'm pretty much a close combat type of person.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
I tried out Samus. She is pretty tough to use. I suck playing as her. I'm like the opposite of Dryn. I hardly use zair or missiles. I'm pretty much a close combat type of person.
Thats because your a samus noob lol

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Samus shouldn't be relying on her crappy close range moves. She has a lot of good range attacks, so use those until you get them to high enough a % to KO. Even when you get them to 100+%, don't aim exclusively to smash them into oblivion. Keep up the ranged and spacing pressure and sooner or later, they will make a mistake that allows you to land a smash or a charged shot on them.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Her learning curve is stupid. She is /very/ hard to master, you can have a "style" to play with her, certains ways to play with her. The range goes from camping to close combat, to offstage and recovery abilities. her being a heavy and able to float like Lucario gives you a wide range of "chances" to use her in differen't ways. Her excellent recovery and bombs help also open up more doorways then you would with other characters.

So yes, she is a good character to attempt to "master" If your willing to be frustrated and put the time into it.
Agreed with this, and the f you can space with samus you can space with anyone thing. :)

Top Bottom