• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Rosalina the most broken character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking it might be Little Mac, but now I'm thinking it might be Rosalina & Luma.

I've played the Clovers in BlazBlue and probably other puppet characters, and I think Sakurai was attempting to make a puppet character like that, but he failed miserably. Luma simply sucks up all the damage, and killing it is useless.

What are your all's strategies for fighting her?

Last edited:

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
After playing my friend that mains her. I kind of agree with you. Like, it's really annoying but I learned to just completely go for rosalina and not care about luma. Separate them like you do with Ice Climbers. And beat her to DEATH! XD

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Moved this to the Rosalina and Luma character sub-category.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Face my Doc. She'll die.
On that topic, she seems to over-reliant on Returning and then Firing her Luma over and over and over again. I don't have patience to keep doing that, damn it! Still, Luma Shot kills things...

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've found that Rosalina has a hard time dealing with raw rushdown characters like Little Mac, assuming they're played intelligently and space their moves properly. Her range is good, but she can't do much to you if you're outside of tilt range without resorting to something laggy. Her grab range also seems to be lacking. Luma is an entity you always need to watch for, but his range isn't all that great except for Star Bits.

Jigglypuff and Peach also give her trouble because they can just float over Luma. (It doesn't like staying airborne unless you just mash buttons to keep it in place, and that can be punished hard.)

Now that I think about it, this post may be better suited to the matchup thread.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Hmmmmm, how was Meta Knight determined to be broken in Brawl? How is this tested?
Go to Temple on the Lower-Right section of the stage, hop off while facing the stage and use your Up B, and you can just stick to the bottom curve like hotglue, going up and down and up and down and if anyone tries to stop you, you can just hit them out of your Up B and use the rest of your jumps to get back on stage.
Sudden Deaths will be won. :\

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina isn't exactly broken, as the Luma is her key weapon for clobbering the competition. If the Luma can be contained, Rosalina's offensive powers will get diminished for a while.

Also, Rosalina is tall and very light (4th lightest in the game), so she's one of the easiest fighters to send flying.

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
I've found that Rosalina has a hard time dealing with raw rushdown characters like Little Mac, assuming they're played intelligently and space their moves properly. Her range is good, but she can't do much to you if you're outside of tilt range without resorting to something laggy. Her grab range also seems to be lacking. Luma is an entity you always need to watch for, but his range isn't all that great except for Star Bits.

Jigglypuff and Peach also give her trouble because they can just float over Luma. (It doesn't like staying airborne unless you just mash buttons to keep it in place, and that can be punished hard.)

Now that I think about it, this post may be better suited to the matchup thread.
Pretty much agree to this to a decent extent, in my experience in playing puppet characters in fighting games (Relius/ Fortune) Rosie isn't that difficult to grasp, however the main issue is her being pressured, if you're getting rushed down it's pretty difficult to escape it safely without doing something random or extremely punishable. But as stated before her range is pretty good and a lot of her aerials have a ton of active frames that make her good at spacing in most instances.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
No, she has very exploitable weaknesses. I don't even think she's top tier. I think she's close though. She has a hard time dealing with people in her face without luma.

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
I honestly feel like everyone is tossing around the word broken too loosely.
No she's not broken, the game is just fairly new to people and everyone is still trying to figure things out.
Same with Little Mac, he's not broken, his niche is sticking to his ground game, you juggle or edgeguard him and he has no answer.

link2702

Smash Champion
No, she has very exploitable weaknesses. I don't even think she's top tier. I think she's close though. She has a hard time dealing with people in her face without luma.
you're joking right? she still has excellent options up close without luma by her.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Such as? You shouldn't say things like that without explaining

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Calling her "the most broken character" is a silly hyperbole, but she's definitely a strong contender in smash IV.

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
Calling her "the most broken character" is a silly hyperbole, but she's definitely a strong contender in smash IV.
Pretty much this, broken would insinuate that one would have to change every little detail about their game just to hope to stand any sort of chance, Rosie isn't busted like that.

Judo777

Smash Master
Go to Temple on the Lower-Right section of the stage, hop off while facing the stage and use your Up B, and you can just stick to the bottom curve like hotglue, going up and down and up and down and if anyone tries to stop you, you can just hit them out of your Up B and use the rest of your jumps to get back on stage.
Sudden Deaths will be won. :\
With mountains of tournament results, frame data, anaylsis and common sense.

Still wasn't enough for anyone to do anything about it lol.

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
I can't say broken. Overpowered, yes. One of only two characters I have trouble beating as Wii Fit Trainer (my main), yes. Ugh, that Luma is SO annoying!

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rosalina isn't exactly broken, as the Luma is her key weapon for clobbering the competition. If the Luma can be contained, Rosalina's offensive powers will get diminished for a while.

Also, Rosalina is tall and very light (4th lightest in the game), so she's one of the easiest fighters to send flying.
Indeed, you can't say Rosalina broken just because you don't know how to use her, I agree she is kind of hard to use and have slow standard attacks. Facing with fast characters like Sonic , Greninja will be a tough match. But using Luma wisely might just do the trick.

Mostpeople might think star bits are useless, but not exactly, use can use star bit to stung opponent from far distance to give them damage, the most reason why everyone thinks Rosalina is so OP and hard to use. First is her Gravitational Pull, very useful when taking on characters with massive projectiles like Robin and Mega man. Second is her powerfu lunpredicted range Smash attacks. With Luma her Smash is sooo powerful. By how far is Luma with you also deals with the damage. Third is her potential air combo, she could be light weight indeed, but that gives her a powerful combo trick on air, just try to avoid getting punished on air though.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
I think it's kinda understandable at this point in time for some people to be crying "OP" In terms of Rosie. The game has been out for only 5 days, and players are starting to fit into their characters a bit, but not so much when it comes to character match ups. The thing with Rosie is that there isn't really a character in a smash game that plays like her. Sure, you could say ICs are similar, but they are not at all the same when you look into both characters. She is the first puppet character in smash, and people aren't really used to that in this particular context.

Do I think that Rosie is "OP"? No, I think not. Do I think she is really good, and has the potential to be a high/top contender? Absolutely. She has a bunch of tools with and outside of luma that make her a real threat. And, she has weaknesses just like other characters, most of them have been listed by people before me.

R0Y

Smash Master
If she doesn't end up top tier, she'll be damn close to it. Pikachu on N64, Fox and Falco on GameCube, and Meta Knight on Wii were all broken in my opinion. Dunno about Rosalina yet, she's so light.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Such as? You shouldn't say things like that without explaining
I thought they were obvious which was why I didn't mention them. She's massive, light, and slow. Also I feel that without Luma there's not much she can do to stop people from hitting her in the face. When I play against other Rosalinas, I **** up the Luma and go in, which I thought was correct because when I'm playing I have a hard time keeping people from putting me in the air and juggling me.

I could be wrong, this game is new.

The characters I play against the most are Wario, Yoshi, and Greninja. What can I do if Luma is dead and/or on the other side of the map?

Edit: And I guess I should clarify, when I say I don't think she's Top Tier I mean in the long run. I think she's really good right now because she's a hard character to play against and nobody understands her yet. I feel that over time when people come up with Anti-Rosalina tech she won't be. I think she'll be the highest non-top tier.

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Have you played any decent Rosalinas or just CPUs SFA? The character has ******** hitboxes/priorities and no real faults, Luma sucks up damage and if you kill it it comes back quickly.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina is my main main. She is not broken at all, she can't really keep up with Bowser Jr. or Little Mac because of many reasons i'm too tired to list. But seriously, she has one VERY bad recovery. Very very bad one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina's recovery may be predictable, but how it can be handled does depend on which Launch Star variation you're dealing with.

Launch Star Plus can't be angled, and doesn't necessarily travel further than the normal Launch Star. Launch Star Attack can deal damage, but its distance is shorter, and Rosalina stops her momentum once the move ends.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina's recovery may be predictable, but how it can be handled does depend on which Launch Star variation you're dealing with.

Launch Star Plus can't be angled, and doesn't necessarily travel further than the normal Launch Star. Launch Star Attack can deal damage, but its distance is shorter, and Rosalina stops her momentum once the move ends.
I didn't know her recovery Launch Stars can vary. Can you please tell me how it works? Randomly or can we pick? That's why i couldn't master her recovery then...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I didn't know her recovery Launch Stars can vary. Can you please tell me how it works? Randomly or can we pick? That's why i couldn't master her recovery then...
In random online, you can only use the standard Launch Star. You can angle it, but it doesn't deal any damage. Also, Launch Star's momentum doesn't stop when the move ends.

Launch Star Plus is simply a faster version of the standard Launch Star, but you can't angle it; Rosalina will always travel at about an 80 degree angle.

Launch Star Attack has a shorter travel distance than the standard Launch Star, but it can damage anyone that it comes into contact with. The momentum of this Launch Star variant does stop when it ends.

You can customize Rosalina's special moves once you've collected them.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Have you played any decent Rosalinas or just CPUs SFA? The character has ******** hitboxes/priorities and no real faults, Luma sucks up damage and if you kill it it comes back quickly.
Lol, She's not THAT good. No real faults?

Her hitboxes are dumb WITH Luma. I'm not arguing that she's good, I'm saying that Without Luma she's a very manageable character and there are ways of dealing with Luma because it can't shield. Certain character throws (such and Mario and Wario's Back Throw) split the two up, certain projectiles (like Yoshi's eggs) stun Luma enough to the point that I can't safely go in (because Luma is desynced), And you can just kill luma or juggle it so she can't call it back. If I'm above someone I can try and Nair (but depending on the character they may hit me first because it's slow. Or dair, which is okay but have a very specific hitbox and only really saves me if it's under me.

You're still being ambiguous. I'm admitting that it's possible I'm wrong, now can you please tell me what she can do without Luma when people are rushing me down except for dodge roll, and jab until I get Luma back?

I'm better than most of the Rosalina's I've played except for Iggy who i've played only in Wifi doubles, to answer your question

otter

Smash Ace
I think you guys are over estimating lumaless rosalina. she has no B moves and is incredibly slow, light, and huge. plus, once luma returns, you will be in her ass already so it wont matter unless she can push you out.

Great character, dont get me wrong,

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Lumaless Rosa isnt that much worse imo. People are making it sound like shes close to bottom tier without Luma.

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
You're honestly giving her way more credit than needed dude, I've been out prioritized against a few characters, mainly a really good diddy most recently, with and without luma. as for her hitboxes, same applies, better with luma, her aerials are pretty solid though, but that's because of how active they are.

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
You're honestly giving her way more credit than needed dude, I've been out prioritized against a few characters, mainly a really good diddy most recently, with and without luma. as for her hitboxes, same applies, better with luma, her aerials are pretty solid though, but that's because of how active they are.
Nah, he's giving the right amount of credit to lumaless Rosie. I've never had trouble without luma, even when it's a character than can take advantage if it.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Of course it's an exaggeration to say she has NO weaknesses, I mean even the obvious stuff like she's way lighter than something like Bowser and flies further. But this idea that you separate her Luma and she melts is just baloney, her own attacks without Luma have super high priority and Luma comes right back anyway to continue brokenly sucking up damage and dealing tons.

Sorry I know nobody wants to main an OP character, but I'm just saying. I don't see this puppet character as having been well thought out balance wise. You really have to approach a pet character in any game with some grace or it will be OP. Which Rosalina is

Her hitboxes are dumb WITH Luma.
They're nuts without Luma too tbh

Last edited:

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
Of course it's an exaggeration to say she has NO weaknesses, I mean even the obvious stuff like she's way lighter than something like Bowser and flies further. But this idea that you separate her Luma and she melts is just baloney, her own attacks without Luma have super high priority and Luma comes right back anyway to continue brokenly sucking up damage and dealing tons.

Sorry I know nobody wants to main an OP character, but I'm just saying. I don't see this puppet character as having been well thought out balance wise. You really have to approach a pet character in any game with some grace or it will be OP. Which Rosalina is

They're nuts without Luma too tbh

I didn't say she melts without Luma, I'm saying she's more prone to being pressured, her spacing tools are great no one's debating that, and I literally care nothing about whether my mains in any game are top tier or not, such as in SG and SF where I play top tiers. This is a matter of week one syndrome where people are still figuring stuff out, Rosie is indeed a pretty darn strong contender, but saying she's broken is a stretch; puppet characters are hardly ever bad so it's to be expected.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Well you're definitely wrong if you think I care about my character being overpowered because I don't. More power to me, I've mained bad characters and it sucked.

I also never said without luma she's bottom tier or melts or anything like that. I said she has a hard time dealing with people in her face without luma.

Why? Because she's massive andlacks gfto moves. Specifically ones for people quite literally "in her face" funnily enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom