• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it hard to master Falco?

Blaze93

Smash Rookie
I main sheik and am looking for a new main/second that can actually win with a chance at tourneys.

My first look is at Falco, although I heard he was "extremely hard" to master and play.

What are your thoughts? Could I do it? Could I get competitive with Falco?

PCHU

Smash Lord
Heck no.
He's so easy to master.
Getting that Meteor can be hard, but he's simple.
It took me around 20 minutes to get used to his style, and about 5 to learn chaingrabbing.
Unless I am some freak of nature that learns fast, everyone should be able to do it.
Falco is a very good character in one on one.
I can't say as much for wifi, but at least Fox and Wolf rule there.

I suggest you quit listening to the crap they tell you about how hard it is and just do it.
It's easier that way.

They said the same about Ness.
He does have awkward timing and the suckiest recovery ever (I can aim PK Thunder correctly, it's just too short), but Ness is otherwise easy.
I am not being sarcastic.
I think that Lucas is actually better, because he's less predictable.
With Ness, he has lag before almost everything.
With Lucas, he's so freakin fast, it's easy to throw people off.

Ness is cool and fun, but Lucas is a more serious choice.
Some characters are worth it, but others sort of aren't.
Falco is worth it.
Chaingrabbing the crap out of people is so much fun.

Blaze93

Smash Rookie
Well they were talking about his laser being so hard to master becaue of the noise-less one you can do before you fall or something.. and i cant do the noiesless one in a battle.

But what do you mean not good on wifi? i dont tend to notice lag, but yea i already have some experience with CG ( Pikachu ) d throw and some meteor smash ( ness, melee falco, zelda. etc )

I definitely wanna try getting good with hi m.

Wifi anyone?

bowz

Smash Journeyman
It's not easy to master anybody, except metaknight. IMO. Falco is no exception. He may be easy to get good with, but not a single person has mastered him. Not sethlon, not bombsoldier, not me, nobody. It will be a long time before somebody comes close to mastering him.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Well, in order to MASTER someone, you have to be able to take anything down with it, and know it inside out.
Does that really sound possible?
I'm not saying it's easy to MASTER, but he's easy to master. (Difference in CAPS)

Blaze93

Smash Rookie
Wow guys way to take master way to seriously.

I meant get good, okay!?

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
This thread is filled with ignorance. Falco is one of the hardest high level characters to use properly because of lag on his spacing tools, and difficulty to land kill moves in comparison to other higher tiered characters.

BrawlChamp14

Smash Apprentice
It's not easy to master anybody, except metaknight. IMO. Falco is no exception. He may be easy to get good with, but not a single person has mastered him. Not sethlon, not bombsoldier, not me, nobody. It will be a long time before somebody comes close to mastering him.
what is "mastering" in your opnion anyways?

holysnap

Smash Cadet
I think in a short time you can only be minorly effective with falco, your going to need ALOT of practice to perfect his kill moves, and you will need awhile to get a feel for his maneuverability.
And then you have to learn to correctly space all of his attacks, try to reduce lag as much as possible, and be quick on your feet basically at all times.
To kill your going to have to be good at predicting your opponent, baiting him or using mindgames to get in that Fsmash or leading him off into a spike.
Plus your going to have to get used to his recovery, and learn curved firebird so you don't get stuck under stages.
There really is alot to master with Falco, and even if you are determined to reach mastery level, you won't come close anytime soon.

J4pu

Smash Champion
IMO:
Easy things to get down:
CG (and CG > Dair spike)
Bair ledge guarding

Intermediate things to get down:
SHDL (well)
Boost Smash / DLX Canceled Smash
Spacing

Difficult things to get down:
CG with boosted pivot-grabs at the right place
CG > Dair spike with effective post spike edge-guarding
Killing while on stage

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This thread is filled with ignorance. Falco is one of the hardest high level characters to use properly because of lag on his spacing tools, and difficulty to land kill moves in comparison to other higher tiered characters.
This. Falco is one of the hardest characters to play against top players. He requires that you space well and constantly make smart moves throughout the match.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Uhhh. didn't you win a tourney with that 4 day old Falco of yours?

Anyway, Brawl is simple as hell.

It shouldn't take more then 2 days of practice to become good with a character other then IC's.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

It shouldn't take more then 2 days of practice to become good with a character other then IC's.
Yeah >_>. But I have a lot of experience with Sethlon, and I tend to pick up things fast. I still find Falco hard to play. I never feel like I have perfect control over him, though that could be because I watch Sethlon move so smoothly lol.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I feel he's easy to learn. I picked him up just like PCHU did.
Also, on the stage it's as hard to kill someone as it is to land a dash attack. (Dash attack, to upsmash cancel?)

SO yeah, good comboes that are -easy- to do and I found out for myself within three matches or w/e. (Others know them, of course, but if I found these in a round or two, maybe three.. than you can easily too)

Dash attack with weak, I believe, to upsmash for kills.
Dash attack (weak) to aaaaaaaa to down+b
chain grab, if they can break out of it and you can't master it easily, try attacking them normally and downthrowing. Follow it up with a down+b. If they trip, you can f+smash, D+B again other things.
if you are in the air and do nair, you can land with the (fourth hit?) and press aaaaa to down+b and other things, of course.

nair to aaa to down+b (tripping them) to fsmash is pretty good.

Of course, the chaingrab to spike is the best.

Last thing.. he has laser lock. It's hard to master (in my opinion) and hard to pull it off in tournament matches.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Falco is probably the hardest character I use thusfar (Out of Meta Knight, DK and Wolf) to handle. KneeOfJustice and Hylian are both correct in that Falco is a difficult character to play. However, in the end, he's well worth it.

J4pu

Smash Champion

I sort of agree with this guy, nobody seems too hard to master other than IC's
especially if their Infinite Grab continues to get banned
I did play them for a while tho, predicting your opponent and using desynched (non-grab) tactics is quite hard to do. I more or less gave up after about 3 days.

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
falco is a hard character to master because he is light thus easily killed and he doesn't have to many killing moves. His attacks need to be used properly in order to be affective. For example, the chain grab to spike or the SH fair (which you would'nt do). His normal spike is difficult to land but with practice it can be done and getting used to and accustomed to his reflector is priority for spacing game and also using his laser properly

Ulevo

Smash Master
To become exceptional with Falco is rather difficult, as Falco is very technical. If you want to know my definition of an exceptional Falco player, take a look at Sethlons gameplay. However, it is rather easy to pick Falco up and exploit his powerful aspects such as the Chain Grab and Spike. It doesn't mean it will win you games on high level play though.

Top Bottom