• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is edge hogging cheap/n00bish?

Roy82

Smash Rookie
I believe edge hogging is completely ok as it takes a litte practice to jump onto the edge properly. but my bro thinks its a cheap move. personally I think ledge vulching is cheap but not edge hogging. what do you guys say

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
It's not cheap. It's been a part of competitive smash forever and it's funny as **** to pull off.

Your bro needs more recovery options.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
only noobs say edgehogging is cheap because they die that way
he probably uses a character with a fail recovery :laugh:

Roy82

Smash Rookie
only noobs say edgehogging is cheap because they die that way
he probably uses a character with a fail recovery :laugh:
he uses diddy kong and has like 200 more falls than KO's! :chuckle:

I do it to him all the time. Love jumping out there with Ike and d-airing him straight down also.

Roy82

Smash Rookie
even halfway decent players can easily get past edgehogging. unless they're playing with link or something.
It's especially easy for me since I main Wolf... his b-right/b-left is perfect for knocking them off the edge.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
he uses diddy kong and has like 200 more falls than KO's! :chuckle:

I do it to him all the time. Love jumping out there with Ike and d-airing him straight down also.
If he mains diddy, can't he just wall cling?

Thars yar recovery option

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Not cheap but not going to deny its annoying to fall victim to...still can't do it quickly enough so I need to work on it a little

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I think it is a technique that isn't cheap. Because edgehogging isn't spammy and can be hard to perform at times (grabbing the ledge at the right time can be hard).

UncleSam

Smash Master
I'm going to assume he is recovering low which he should not be doing in the first place, I dont think we'd have this problem if he knew how to recover better.
a way to get him to stop johning is to punish him every time he gets up from the ledge.
worked for me
@vodkahaze only if they know how to recover well

sasook

Smash Champion
even halfway decent players can easily get past edgehogging. unless they're playing with link or something.
Actually, we manage just fine really. Fun fact (yes fact), good Link players have broken DI. Simply because DI is our recovery.

On topic, I used to think it was cheap a year ago when I first entered competitive smash but...it's not.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
Saying edge hogging is cheap is just an excuse your bro uses to make himself feel better for losing...its something on smashboards we call johns :bee:

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Edgehogging is fun, it isn't cheap, just teach him how to do it better so he doesn't think it is cheap.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
The skill in edgehogging isn't the actual edgehog, but rather setting it up.

Lock please?

Roy82

Smash Rookie
Wow, this got more posts than i thought it would =)
I'll probably do what a few of you said and try to teach him how to EH better.. then he'll understand the great feeling you get when you nail it.

Actually, I noticed the other day that in Brawl level 9 cpus do it... don't think they did in Melee.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Wow, this got more posts than i thought it would =)
I'll probably do what a few of you said and try to teach him how to EH better.. then he'll understand the great feeling you get when you nail it.

Actually, I noticed the other day that in Brawl level 9 cpus do it... don't think they did in Melee.
In melee the cpus have the same approach every time. If you play against a lvl 9 fox in melee he'll take a few steps, shoot a few lasers, take a few more steps, shoot some more lasers. When he finally gets close to you, he'll start to jab with his 1st and 2nd jabs only.

They were actually programed with other options in brawl.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Your bro plays Diddy and you play Wolf. He should be the one edgehogging you, lol. I main Diddy and very rarely get edgehogged while Wolf is one of the easier characters to edgehog.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Not cheap, Takes skill and timing, also there's some risk to the edge hogger.

Many funnies have come from egde hogging.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
If the cpu have sense enough to do it, i suppose not XD

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

Of course it's cheap, n00bish, and something only bad players do. It's dishonorable and stupid.

Don't do it...

Nahhhhh.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Your brother needs to lern2recover.

It's a perfectly viable option which every person should practice, and learn to overcome.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
edge hogging was a LOT gayer in melee

in brawl it hardly ever works lmao, maybe against spacies or ic's or whatever but

just TRY edgehogging peach or tlink

its not gonna work, maybe once out of 100 when you time it PERFECTLy and they are JUST BARELY out of reach

let alone the chars who cant be edgehogged if they recover correctly

mk, puff, snake, etc

cheap/n00bish? no
difficult to do in brawl? hm yes sometimes
better options? usually

Top Bottom