• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Diddy easy to master?

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
A good friend of mine seems to think that Diddy is easy to use because of how easily I chain nanners together. I told my friend to use him in the next match and he lost miserably to my Falco. He then told me that he may not be able easy to use but he is easy to master (no johns). Truthfully, I think that he is one of the harder characters to use on a professional level. What are your opinions on this?

Player-1

Smash Legend
I personally think he is hard to master and use, but aside from that I've seen 2 or 3 tier list based on how hard a character is to master or use or w/e and Diddy was always in the top 5 and maybe top 3. But IDK, I've been using him since the game came out, I'll let a newer Diddy Kong main answer

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I personally think he is hard to master and use, but aside from that I've seen 2 or 3 tier list based on how hard a character is to master or use or w/e and Diddy was always in the top 5 and maybe top 3. But IDK, I've been using him since the game came out, I'll let a newer Diddy Kong main answer
Diddy Kong, Peach, Link, Marth, Lucario, and Snake are all very hard characters to master.
Thanks for the opinions guys. I agree 100%.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
well when i first started i seriously thought it was the hardest **** ever man :\ glide tossing took me a good day to learn and dnt even get me started on learning mindgames with bananas and tech chasing with them. diddy is experience/mindgame based and his combos are endless. hes easy in a sense of actually using him as a character but using him on a serious level then not so much as mindgames becomes essential as well as combo techs.

ADHD

Smash Hero
It takes months. I'm still mastering diddy and I started using him during the summer. I have alot to work on.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Mastering Diddy Kong wasn't nearly as hard as it is now a few months ago. Learn to glide toss and you could beat everyone. Today everybody knows how to fight diddy and it takes more than knowing how to glide toss bananas.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
No character is easy to master. You just have to work your way up to mastering your character by knowing all of their moves and stuff like that.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I found Diddy easy to pick up, for some reason, but he's very difficult to get good at. He isn't easy to "master".

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
Nanerz are the pinnacle of his gameplay, it's hard to know how to use them cuz u can't just mindlessly throw them around.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Are you kidding? Diddy is almost the epitome of hard to master (I'd wager Peach and Snake beat Diddy in this regard, though I can't say with certainty). I've been playing him since Brawl came out, and I'm only just now learning to chain bananas effectively into one another for combos. Learning how to glide toss is easy, but learning how to not be predictable is where it gets really difficult. And then there's properly Barrel Canceling (if you use it at all), using your Popgun effectively, dash attack combos, knowing when and where to pull out bananas, and dealing with his inane lack of killing power (especially dealing with his inane lack of killing power)... He's one of the hardest to play well hands down.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Hellllll no...Diddy is probably the hardest to master after Snake and maybe Peach...sure its fun to pick him up and start throwing naners at people but mastering how to mindgame and tech chase wit the naners takes months...

The Sex Puma

Smash Lord
idk some people can pick up chars just by watchin some people play the char like me, it depends

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
That's what I thought. Now I will show him this thread and he will be forced to announce my insane Diddy skillz. I can understand why noobs will think this though. If they are open then I will throw my nanners, since there will almost always be an opening, they will get totally worked and claim it is Diddy's cheapness.

DUB

Smash Lord
Yeah he's not easy to master. One of the hardest in the game to do so. I remember how hard it was for me to dribble consistantly back in the day. Snake had a weird learning curve for me too.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
To become good with him quick play with battering items for a bit or go play melee hrc. You obviously won't master him this way but you'll learn more options of what you can do with your bananas other than just glide tossing.

ROMRIC

Smash Rookie
That's what I thought. Now I will show him this thread and he will be forced to announce my insane Diddy skillz. I can understand why noobs will think this though. If they are open then I will throw my nanners, since there will almost always be an opening, they will get totally worked and claim it is Diddy's cheapness.
Umm.. Ok im that friend of GooseMainsDiddy and i i agree NOW that he is not easy to master...... I still hat the @%#! out of his nanners

Im not sorry Goose.

ps. i wrote this when he was right next to me..... help.
pss. no rlly HELP!

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Umm.. Ok im that friend of GooseMainsDiddy and i i agree NOW that he is not easy to master...... I still hat the @%#! out of his nanners

Im not sorry Goose.

ps. i wrote this when he was right next to me..... help.
pss. no rlly HELP!
Nobody can possibly help you now!!! :laugh:

~AceR~

Smash Cadet
Meh. Not that hard. I knew a bit about glidetossing from Rob, but Diddy helped me master that tech. Everything else just came natural to me

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
Hard to master. somewhat easy to learn. Its more than glide tossing banana around. Mind games is also part of it. imo

Though the post above me + are right. Everyone nowadays pretty much konw how to either: Counter Diddy or just know how to play against him. Correct me if im wrong.

Tachyon

Smash Cadet
Cedar Hill, Texas and Hawkins, Texas (college)
Hard to master. somewhat easy to learn. Its more than glide tossing banana around. Mind games is also part of it. imo

Though the post above me + are right. Everyone nowadays pretty much know how to either: Counter Diddy or just know how to play against him. Correct me if im wrong.
You're pretty correct with that statement Diddyknight. After the whole Ninjalink thing happened everybody started going, especially MKs, "We need to learn everything we can about Diddy since he can actually be a threat now" Not to mention they had plenty of practice because people started to flock to Diddy as an answer to MK so the MKs were all like "Oh **** noez. We're Super Saiyans *******" and the Diddys started losing again. Except for NL. He's the heard virus that can kill Goku.

Metaphors and comparisons aside. Diddy is easy to pick up when everybody playing is a noob because they don't deal with bananas. Then the opponents get smart and shield and pick up or make it where you can't get to your bananas. So the diddy starts doing things like glide tossing and dribbling. His opponents are like mind-blown and stuff. So he's whooping *** for a few weeks until one of his friends realizes that to beat glide tossing, all you have to do is use the same thing you were using earlier. Just faster. So they start rushing harder and playing keep away better and they start using your bananas against you.

Now the Diddy can't rely on his bananas on as much so he to learn some other ATs with other moves. The only thing is no matter how useful barrel cancel, Diddy hump>footstool, Barrel Spiking are. They can't replace the fact that the main AT for his bananas, Glide Tossing, Just got owned. So he has to learn a few other banana ATs which won't really make the same impact as Glide tossing.

Then something happens. The Diddy player learns about 2 things. Spacing and Mindgames. And all of he sudden he starts thinking...I can glide toss. I just can't auto-pilot, As Vyse so nicely put it, or be stupid. So then the glide toss comes back into play but it's smarter and therefore Diddy is once again a threat because the only way you can beat good spacing and mindgames is with better spacing and mindgames. No technique in the game can defeat that. From the most basic techniques of shield to the most advance.
(Holy **** I wrote a lot. Wall of texts for the win?)

For those who TL;DR Diddy is hard to master because his bananas have to be used in conjuction with spacing and mind-games, some of the hardest things to learn in Brawl. And everybody knows how to counter a diddy who doesn't use those 2 things.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
I think I mastered Diddy in like less than a month and I don't even really play Brawl. Almost nothing in Brawl is difficult to master lolz.

-lee-

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I actually believe that Diddy is the most technical in Brawl, along with Peach. (Note both have glidetossable items)

denizen

Smash Apprentice
i agree with what has been said...it's fun to pick him up and do decently well with right off the bat...but definitely one of the hardest characters to master and use effectively imo.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
the only real difficult thing in brawl is probably ice climbers 0 to death chaingrabs :\ once u master those ur set lol

TheEliteSmasher

Smash Cadet
His Metagame revolves around one move. What do you think? I mean, if you learn to use bananas right, you're set.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
well incorporating banana play is not the only thing we still have yet to discover possibilities for all the other diddy attacks o-o

~AceR~

Smash Cadet
Since Brawl lacks a lot of the technical aspects of Melee that divided the pros from the noobs, it tends to rely more heavily on the mindgame of the player to make it a worthy fighting game.

If you ask me, Diddy Kong is the easiest to do any sort of game with. Just his sheer speed, movement and attack wise, can confuse an opponent unintentionally. I was surprised when I was first starting out when people told me how annoying my Diddy was (which is a complement while playing as him).

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Since Brawl lacks a lot of the technical aspects of Melee that divided the pros from the noobs, it tends to rely more heavily on the mindgame of the player to make it a worthy fighting game.

If you ask me, Diddy Kong is the easiest to do any sort of game with. Just his sheer speed, movement and attack wise, can confuse an opponent unintentionally. I was surprised when I was first starting out when people told me how annoying my Diddy was (which is a complement while playing as him).
We are talking on a pro level here. On a pro level you can say that about a bunch of players.

~AceR~

Smash Cadet
We are talking on a pro level here. On a pro level you can say that about a bunch of players.
It shouldn't be too hard to improve your game on a pro level. All you really have to do for Brawl is change "unintentional" to "intentional" (reference to my last post) by adding in a few mixups and know what to do from what not do to in a situation and that's it.

Top Bottom