• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Irrational Fears?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Ok, so some things in life are worth being scared of.... like being attacked by bears in the woods or walking down dark alleys at nighttime. But I feel like everyone has fears that are just silly or completely irrational, and I kinda wanna know what crazy things people are afraid of. Or if I'm just weird. :(

These are mine:

People knocking on my front door in the morning before I wake up. For some reason, being woken up by someone knocking on my door makes my skin crawl. I always think for a split second that someone is coming for me. Like the government or something. Completely silly, I know, but my heart still races every time it happens. And usually it's just a neighbor or my mother coming to visit. :ohwell:

Strangely, it only happens in the morning. Once I'm fully awake, it doesn't bother me at all.

Technical difficulties. White noise on the TV. Blue screens on the computer. This one's really really weird, but ever since I saw that Are You Afraid of the Dark? episode where the demon infected the camera, technology doing weird crap it's not supposed to puts fear into my soul. It feels like it has a mind of its own when it doesn't do what I tell it to do, lol. (I don't really think it does, of course, but that's why it's an irrational fear.)

What're yours?

The furosious robot has left

Smash Journeyman
Death of laughter- sometimes i laugh so hard, i feel as if i will never stop and suffocate from difficulty to breath from laughter.same with tickling. i feel like i'm going to die if i dont do something to stop myself.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
when i was like 5, I thought that if I didn't sleep under the covers in my bed, the devil would get me. No lie. Obviously that hasn't effected me at all now ...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
This one's really really weird, but ever since I saw that Are You Afraid of the Dark? episode where the demon infected the camera, technology doing weird crap it's not supposed to puts fear into my soul.
Oh god, rofl. I totally remember that.

I don't have any irrational fears, but I do have some pretty wussy ones. Arachnophobia, and claustrophobia. I mean, they're not as weird as morning doorbell, or malfunctioning software, but they're still pretty wussy.

Oh! And when I was younger, I'd often freak out for no reason while walking up dark stairs. Like-- I'd get a feeling that something is chasing me, but only on the stairs. Once I got to the top floor, everything was fine. :p

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Technical difficulties. White noise on the TV. Blue screens on the computer. This one's really really weird, but ever since I saw that Are You Afraid of the Dark? episode where the demon infected the camera, technology doing weird crap it's not supposed to puts fear into my soul. It feels like it has a mind of its own when it doesn't do what I tell it to do, lol. (I don't really think it does, of course, but that's why it's an irrational fear.)

What're yours?
Yeah, I remember the "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" episode where the kids older brother got dragged down to the bottom of a pool by some zombie that could melt terminator style, and move through the sewers. Sometimes I would just remember that, and get all freaked out by it. I really wish I could see that episode again now; I'd probably just be ROFLing.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I have acrophobia but it only seems to apply to buildings. I can climb a tree or a rockwall just fine, but if I'm inside a building on an upper floor I can go anywhere near a balcony or I get dizzy and start to freak out. I'm also afraid of having my blood pressure taken, and stepping on a line with my foot perpendicular to it.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
There are sharks in the pool. They're also planning on attacking if I close my eyes in the shower. ;_;

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Xsyven is afraid no one will ever love him.

Well, maybe that's no so much irrational as true...

My irrational fear is social situations and having new friends =)

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Bees.

Is that considered irrational? I mean if there were 1000 bees after then yeah, you have a reason to to completely and utterly terrified.

But 1 single Bee will have me running....... and sometimes screaming if it sneaks up on me.....

Charizard92

Smash Champion
^With European Honey bees, yes, that is completely irrational because they'd only send like, 6 Bees after you (unless you are persistent). With the Africanized Bee, no, those things go bezerk by you just breathing nearby, and they send thousands, and there is only one good way of not getting killed, run like hell. Skip the water, it doesn't work.

As of myself, I am afraid of the dark.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Ok, so some things in life are worth being scared of.... like being attacked by bears in the woods or walking down dark alleys at nighttime. But I feel like everyone has fears that are just silly or completely irrational, and I kinda wanna know what crazy things people are afraid of. Or if I'm just weird. :(

These are mine:

People knocking on my front door in the morning before I wake up. For some reason, being woken up by someone knocking on my door makes my skin crawl. I always think for a split second that someone is coming for me. Like the government or something. Completely silly, I know, but my heart still races every time it happens. And usually it's just a neighbor or my mother coming to visit. :ohwell:

Strangely, it only happens in the morning. Once I'm fully awake, it doesn't bother me at all.

What're yours?
Irrational fears are discribed by a Phobia, any constant fear of a object, or event. Such as arachnophobia, or claustrophobia. There are several methods of immunizing the conditioning of phobia.
Of course some things are conditioned, others are coded into our minds. But there are always ways to get ride of the fear. Watson, has proved that a anyone can be conditioned to fear a object or event, likewise that fear can be reversed.

For me it is Heights, even though I climb it scares the crap out of me, in my mind I keep seeing myself falling to my death. I guess I just suck it up though.

Matt

Banned via Administration
Hands rubbing against each other really fast makes me very apprehensive. I mean it! Just watching people do it makes my skin crawl. It's like maybe they're going to catch on fire! You never know. Spontaneous combustion is super serious.

Also, getting ***** by a bear. Not mauled. Not eaten alive. Full on, dry anal ****. Thanks, Eor. =C

Darkslash

Smash Master
People Sneaking up on me: I always get into every thing i do. So people just go up to me and i won't even hear them. They say "Roar" or what ever, and i go "JESUS ****ING CHRIST" or "UURAG" followed up by "****ers" So no every 5 minutes i go check behind my back. Some times i don't want to see what's there...

Ange

Smash Lord
In our stair, we have a window in the middle of the way. When I was a kid, I used to be scared to go in the stairs when it was dark outside, cause I was afraid something creepy from outside would jump on me or something.
So when I walked in the stairs, I usually ran thru it just to get away from that window. :bee:

The furosious robot has left

Smash Journeyman
In our stair, we have a window in the middle of the way. When I was a kid, I used to be scared to go in the stairs when it was dark outside, cause I was afraid something creepy from outside would jump on me or something.
So when I walked in the stairs, I usually ran thru it just to get away from that window. :bee:
i would just jump on a stair, and roll my way on from there.

drcossack

Smash Ace

These are mine:

Mother coming to visit = not irrational at all, though it depends on how she is.

Bees.

Is that considered irrational? I mean if there were 1000 bees after then yeah, you have a reason to to completely and utterly terrified.

But 1 single Bee will have me running....... and sometimes screaming if it sneaks up on me.....
Just one? If I see it, I stop moving until I'm sure it's gone. One flew into my sandal in September (warm = I'm outside having lunch) and stung my big toe. It didn't really hurt, but I couldn't walk for a few minutes. I was fine before my 1 PM class started though.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
^With European Honey bees, yes, that is completely irrational because they'd only send like, 6 Bees after you (unless you are persistent). With the Africanized Bee, no, those things go bezerk by you just breathing nearby, and they send thousands, and there is only one good way of not getting killed, run like hell. Skip the water, it doesn't work.
omg, I don't know what I'd do :urg:

Depends, are you allergic? I am, so if there's a bee in the area, I'm running away.
Nope, just scared for some reason.....

Just one? If I see it, I stop moving until I'm sure it's gone. One flew into my sandal in September (warm = I'm outside having lunch) and stung my big toe. It didn't really hurt, but I couldn't walk for a few minutes. I was fine before my 1 PM class started though.
A perfect situation where I would freak out....
I just can't help it

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I have an irrational fear of plants in the water. I've always got the feeling when I'm swimming in a lake and I'm walking over some waterplants that they are going to grab me and pull me underwater(this is only when I touch them).

Well, that used to be like that when I was younger, I haven't swam in a lake for a long time, but I do remember that I was getting used to the feeling of waterplants underneath my feet.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Hmm... That used to happen to me too after a night of COPS and America's Most Wanted. :/

I'm deathly a-scared of bees. As in, I will stop what I'm doing if a bee gets in my way. I had a terrible experience when I was seven where an absolute jack*** of a bumblebee decided to sting me. T__________T I'm not allergic, I just don't like pain. D:

Overall pain. It's not really a huge FEAR so much as avoidance, but if something sounds like it'd be pretty painful, I avoid it.

Hmm... Maybe more later... :tired:

Mith_

Smash Champion
Rollercoasters, after seeing that episode of justice when the lady came out of her seat and got decapitated by the lowered bar.

Ugg.

Overload

Smash Lord
Oh! And when I was younger, I'd often freak out for no reason while walking up dark stairs. Like-- I'd get a feeling that something is chasing me, but only on the stairs. Once I got to the top floor, everything was fine. :p
Same here, also when going down dark stairs.

I also get kind of freaked out when I have to use the kitchen sink for something during the night because I feel like somebody could be staring at me through the window that's at the sink.

PassWurD

Smash Journeyman
After seeing the movie "Pay It Forward" from the end when the kid got stabbed, from when i was like 6 to like 9-ish, I always thought some random dude was going to come in my house and stab me when I was sleeping. :3

Right now, I'm terrified of rollercoasters as well, always scared I'll fall out or something, so I just avoid 'em. :)

Skrah

Smash Ace
I had this weird fear of werewolves. When i was little, everytime i went to sleep, I'd cover myself (even my head) with the covers, since i thought that they were magic and they would ward off werewolves. In really hot nights I'd wake up drenched in sweat, but i didnt care since I was safe.

Then i proceeded to sleeping with a baseball bat, but after I almost hit my sister they didnt let me. After a while it just wore off...

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I don't have any irrational fears (which is actually the definition of a phobia, I believe), but there is one thing I fear.

I

Hate

Crocodiles

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I am deathly afraid of being rolled up in a rug. I do not have claustrophobia, I do just fine in very crammed places, slides, closets etc. But do not roll me up in a rug.

drcossack

Smash Ace
I am deathly afraid of being rolled up in a rug. I do not have claustrophobia, I do just fine in very crammed places, slides, closets etc. But do not roll me up in a rug.
That one doesn't make sense, lol.

One I forgot:

Escalators that go down. I'm fine on the ones that go up, but I look for an elevator if I'm in a mall/department store & have to go from the second floor to the first.

Mith_

Smash Champion
For some odd reason I hate seeing people trip/fall irl. On Television its all good, but irl I always get nervous when I see people running on cement, or if they walk near something that could trip them.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I used to have a huge fear of bees to the point i would go great lenghths to not be near them.

My fear now is having sticky hands and nowhere to wash them, i will seriously start to freak out.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
bugs in general. If I see one close to me or in a position where it could come over to me, I completely tense up or get away asap. One time a butterfly flew into our car while driving and I freaked out and we had to pull over to get it out :embarrass

also, heights. when I'm in a tall building, I hate being on the stairs when I'm anywhere near the roof level. I don't know why, considering I would never step foot on the roof, but I still get really uncomfortable.

Top Bottom