• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Is there going to be a real Joker's Monthly ever again? Feels like there hasn't been one in millenia.
I know right T.T
But yeah I haven't had one mainly cause I was trying not to scare the new people who moved in but I think is time I do one.

yo chris your glasses mad cute bro u taken?
Sorry guys <3

Alright. Everyone in iowa mm me in melee for 5 dollars.
Until you realize that Iowa is better then you think and instead do a $1 MM

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
GREG DANG

I need you to do me a BIG favor, could you post on Reece's Facebook and tell him if he can do something about his car the city drove by and they where checking his car out and my mom is worried they're going to ticket her for it, it has happen before when we left a van of our just laying around for too long in our old house >.<

Please Greg and much appreciated.

PortCity

Smash Ace
I find it hard to rag on Thugz when he is overall UP when it comes to money matches against Iowa people :)

Anyway, what are people going to do about this weekend? We can get a head count and spread the news IF people decide they want to come. Of course, we can play ALL day and ALL night Sunday. If people want to sleep in the club house, I'm leaning on "sure" depending on the crowd and who all would be sleeping there. We would just have to clean up and be out around 1 pm on Monday. Old people get together and play cards there mondays at 7.

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
NE should come Sunday. And Christian, I'll make sure Recce gets the message.

Edit: Who does Thugz even play in Melee?

Edit 2: Since Se'kou needs a head count, my car= Me, Christian, Tony, and 2 others that want to fill up those spots.

Soran

Smash Ace
rofl thugz take a joke.

Super awesome pic of MK. Maybe it's just because I love the artist... but w/e

dem glasses

EDIT: ninja'd by cbk. gg

PortCity

Smash Ace
I'll check back tomorrow night. You guys can tell Rebecca and Schizm and the rest of the people who should be showing up.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Gantrain: Just a smash get together in the clubhouse.

@Everyone: I'll keep my phone on, and you guys can show up anytime tomorrow. I'll start setting up when you get here. Seems like it will be a smaller crowd (such short notice), so we can have ahve a really laid back time. Maybe we can have a chu-chu rocket team tourney :-D and a handicapped powerstone 2 tourney :)

§chizm

Smash Lord
yo chris your glasses mad cute bro u taken?

@Everyone: I'll keep my phone on, and you guys can show up anytime tomorrow. I'll start setting up when you get here. Seems like it will be a smaller crowd (such short notice), so we can have ahve a really laid back time. Maybe we can have a chu-chu rocket team tourney :-D and a handicapped powerstone 2 tourney :)
I won't be there till way later, I've got work :ohwell:

SOMEONE BRING MARVEL!!!!
caps
AE.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
somethin goin on sunday??
You should definitely come down ^.^

Also I told Grinnell about it and they may show up but told them to check here or ask Sekou for info since I didn't know the address T.T

SOMEONE BRING MARVEL!!!!
caps
I was actually thinking of bringing in my PS3 so. . . .

@Sekou: Does that TV have and HDMI jack or only uses composive cables hopefully you see this otherwise I'll just call you before we leave o.0

Des Moines will be there around 1:30. Hope everyone sees this!
I did just now >.<

Congrats joker on your placing and making some of that money.

Now you need to host a monthly
Well thank you my good sir I'm getting back in the groove >.0
I think I may have a tourney either the last week of September or the first week of October.
Also what's your PSN we gotz to play some Mahvel connection may not be good but we could still try it ^.^
PSN:Joker490Frozen

Soran

Smash Ace
Samurai Shodown is a fighting game
Smash Bros is a fighting game
Street Fighter is a fighting game
Power Stone is a fighting game
Budoukai Tenkaichi is a fighting game
Virtual On is a fighting game
Dissidia is a fighting game
Tekken is a fighting game
Rival Schools is a fighting game
Clash of Ninja is a fighting game

Hell. Only a moron would disagree that Virtual On is a fighting game, but the second you agree that it is, then you must too accept that Dissidia, Gundam vs Gundam, etc.. are all fighting games.

Complexity does not matter. Also, traditional qualities are not required for a game to be a fighting game, as few modern fighters are truly like the ones twenty years ago.

any of your opinions on this matter.
about 'real' fighters.

and have fun guys ^^

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Technically all of those are fighters, because they involve physical combat.

I think people are soooo Close minded thinking SF, MK, KoF, MvC are the definition of fighters.

I agree that their system is most balanced and brings the largest crowd so people tend to view it from that point, but a fighting game is a fighting game.

Smash is a fighter based around platforming.

Joker My PSN is Jerrynerd.

I'll try to add you later today.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Congrats joker on your placing and making some of that money.

Now you need to host a monthly
This.

Well thank you my good sir I'm getting back in the groove >.0
I think I may have a tourney either the last week of September or the first week of October.
That's why you stay in that Capcom groove and not the SNK groove.

Also, more melee.

Soran

Smash Ace
well-said, JBM.

Everybody in the ames area go to my birthday this weekend and meet dude-that-doesn't-like-me-as-each-of-you-put-together's place. There'll be hot girls, booz, the whole nine yards.

; D

resTy

Smash Champion
Smash is like 5% fighting game and 95% party game. Everyone and their mom has played it and considers it a party game anyways. Only the ~0.1% of the population will say it's more than that because they put in the time to believe that it's actually a competitive game.

If you show any scrub Street Fighter or anything similar, they will know that shit is serious business right away because it is. People don't play games like that "for fun" because you can't. You go hard or quit and play a game that doesn't have a life bar.

Soran

Smash Ace
Could you say you play competitively for fun?

Because I've never gotten serious in my time with Vanilla when I played it. I never really took smash that seriously until I met you guys. I just played it because I thought I was decent and beating people was fun. But when I started taking it "seriously" any fun I had dissipated. I loved playing casuals with ngamer and qrs but when I took it to monthlies and mini-tournies, I just despised the game. Winning will always be fun but when you take it seriously and lose it isn't as fun. Well, at least when there is money involved xP

I'd play Gundam for cereal if more people played it but all I have is the online community. Even then I try my hardest to win just because I hate some of these people.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I disagree.

Most of the local Glenwood people who play knew exactly what the goal was in smash brothers. The goal is obviously to get your opponent off the ledge and keep him off.

Also SSF4ae has plenty of players who show off. Poongko especially.

resTy

Smash Champion
People who compete for fun confuse me to death. It's like saying, "I enjoy losing." Someone explain it to me because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Technically any game can be considered "competitive," and JBM's viewpoint on fighters can be a pretty general conception for the genre.

The only difference with smash is that it does not inherently promote head-to-head competition since it has the elements of four-player slugfests, but that doesn't really mean anything. Developers probably hardly ever keep a competitive scene in mind when they make games, its an afterthought that they try and adapt to, but rarely is the main priority.

In the end games are just a set of abstract rules, existing as a medium for players to experience with each other. Even games like LoL become competitive so holding stubborn views on what the title pertains to wouldn't just be arrogant, it'd be blind.

Oh well, different kinds of **** breeds different kinds of stupidity anyways. Not like money-driven trite needs the hype.

:phone:

:phone:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
People who compete for fun confuse me to death. It's like saying, "I enjoy losing." Someone explain it to me because it makes absolutely no sense to me.
this is something I could try to explain in person

Developers probably hardly ever keep a competitive scene in mind when they make games, its an afterthought that they try and adapt to, but rarely is the main priority.
Capcom has started to cater to the competitive player the last few years, even though I personally don't like their new fighters.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I love Mixups and movement in melee.

Playing Mixup is the most enjoyable way to play melee. Being defensive, reading my opponents is enjoyable, but playing matchups where i can actually approach with my character is more fun.

Some players play so well in other aspects of the game it disturbs me when they have one game thats so good but they have no mixup.

Tyser clearly starts his matches turtling. This could be just his character, but Tyser is pretty passive when he plays. This also might just be Tyser thinking its the best way to start with. Its a good strategy but its the most text book.

Tyser is pretty good at turtling though so whether its text book or not doesn't matter. You have to beat him at his game.

Advice- Pick fox/falco/sheik and get really good at running away shooting lasers and needles to make samus commit.

Or you could just shield vs samus till she tries to grab you. she has the slowest grab. Just sh or fj over him, grab or punish with a move.

resTy

Smash Champion
My ability at being offensive is comparable to Rock Lee and his ability to use ninjutsu. Nonexistent. Which is why I decided to excel at defense just as hard as Rock Lee dedicated himself to taijutsu. Because of this, I am now Rock Lee.

As for the "Grab Samus" thing. You are. Grabbing means you don't have to risk getting crouch canceled out, plus it's fast. If Samus throws ANY ground move and it misses, that's a free grab for Sheik. Only way Sheik can possibly lose this 9-1 match-up is if she tries to actually attack a grounded Samus. Crouch cancel is strong.

Soran

Smash Ace
Sheik is a he in melee.

well-said, Blank.

I agree that anything can be competitive. Especially if people can have RPS tournaments -____-

I just recruited a Gundam fan. My life is successful!!!!
But cereal, everybody get into Extreme Vs. it's 2v2 and also it's awesome.
Who cares if it's $100 to import? RAAARRGGH!

Top Bottom