• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Twinkieftw

Smash Cadet
Melee action? Even though I'm a Brawl player, I've been missing that for a while... I would love to MM you, Thugz. Mainly because I have no idea who you are. Lol xD

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
You guys are all new-school ******s. You know how I did at my first tourney? Grand finals vs. Tyser son! You guys are still inching past mediocrity, MM me in ANYTHING kids.

Also I had a strangely intimate dream...platonically. Aw forget it. >.< When I get back UMvC3 will be out, and I wanna go to Omaha!

:phone:

resTy

Smash Champion
I think we had like 8 people enter that tourney and CBK elim'd Joker twice so I had a free win xD

Dedede vs. DK was probably the funniest match of that set.

Soran

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZSplnA4ztw#t=3m

Kirby Dreamland arrange by my favorite artist? <33333333

oops. nevermind. The whole song is a medley of kirby songs. I mean, Pinkball rushhour? that's kirby all over.
and if I actually took the time to read the title I would've seen it was a pikoreamo medley. meh. nonetheless it's awesome! especially since dreamland is my favorite song from kirby. and my skateboard has kirby written on it. but it's because of the pro skater, forrest kirby xD

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
If you imagine Soran's posts being read by Diego from Dora the Explorer, its a lot more entertaining imo.

Go Arty Go!

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
I may go to Omaha Friday. Depends if I get hired tomorrow for a job and find out when I start out training. Who's coming? I'm also making sure we have a place to stay if it gets too late because last time was stupid.

§chizm

Smash Lord
norfair looks like its starting to be rediscussed for legality... :D :D :D :D :D
Sweet, lets make long games take longer.
Who all from Iowa is MMing me in melee? WMM's are also acceptable :denzel:
Yo.
I may go to Omaha Friday. Depends if I get hired tomorrow for a job and find out when I start out training. Who's coming? I'm also making sure we have a place to stay if it gets too late because last time was stupid.
I'd creep.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Those Police cars are made of wood then >.<

My ability at being offensive is comparable to Rock Lee and his ability to use ninjutsu.
Just by reading this I'm already agreeing with you >.0

norfair looks like its starting to be rediscussed for legality... :D :D :D :D :D
Maaaaaaan that means I'm going to have to take that 64 texture out of it sigh

You guys are all new-school ******s. You know how I did at my first tourney? Grand finals vs. Tyser son! You guys are still inching past mediocrity, MM me in ANYTHING kids.
DUDE Jigglypuff and Bowser in GF how awesome can it get XD

So...like Joker or someone should host a tournament Saturday. Ripple and I are looking for something to attend. We'll hype it too.
If you talking about this Saturday is too short notice I could probably do a biweekly thing if anything since it's smaller and should be fine with the folks leaving upstairs.

I'll be game for that >.0

REAL TALK:

So I was watching random DBZ clips and came to a conclusion, I. . . . . . LOVE. . . . . . 18

I mean Bulma is ok and she just keeps on getting younger Chi Chi is awesome cause of the old DB days but there's something about 18 I think it has to do with her hair style plus I like that outfit she wear pretty much for the rest of DBZ the one with pearls and she also looks awesome in GT <3

Soran

Smash Ace
so you say the next dsm thang will be... when? I need to request off for work a couple weeks in advance in case ngamer is willing to give me a ride.

in other news: Techno kitten adventure

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
for something you find fun competitively, it usually has to fit this mold

"losing is fun

because you learn how to not lose next time"

if something doesn't strike you like that, then you might not really want to play it competitively.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero

If you talking about this Saturday is too short notice I could probably do a biweekly thing if anything since it's smaller and should be fine with the folks leaving upstairs.
REAL TALK:

So I was watching random DBZ clips and came to a conclusion, I. . . . . . LOVE. . . . . . 18

I mean Bulma is ok and she just keeps on getting younger Chi Chi is awesome cause of the old DB days but there's something about 18 I think it has to do with her hair style plus I like that outfit she wear pretty much for the rest of DBZ the one with pearls and she also looks awesome in GT <3
So like, you're amazing and 18 da besssss.

You should start the Bi-Weekly on the 17th.

Uli

Smash Champion

REAL TALK:

rofl joker you are the best person in the world. i was actually watching the cell saga (vegeta wrecking cell) with donalds roomate like 30 minutes ago.

also i hope iowa can come to the omaha tourny for sure :DDDDDDDDDDDDD
blake you better come and defend your title or ill call you a horrible name ;P

resTy

Smash Champion
Watched Goku body Recoome and the Frieza transforming episodes on Tuesday.

"YES YES YES YES I CAN DO THIS I CAN WIN I FEEL GREAT AWWWWWW YES YES YES!"

Soran

Smash Ace
SSJ2 Gohan, baby!

And Perfect Cell.... The Android/Cell Saga was just all around greatness. Mainly the Cell Saga but I just mention the Android saga because it built up on Cell.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
People who compete for fun confuse me to death. It's like saying, "I enjoy losing." Someone explain it to me because it makes absolutely no sense to me.
Since Blank didn't answer this (I think), let me give my take. I've played so many (different) games in tournaments, I dare say I'm one of the most experienced players around here nowadays-- a scary thought indeed. When I enter a game with the purpose of playing competitively, the first rule for me is that it has to be fun for me. Fun is the ultimate reason for playing. If the game itself stops being fun, then I stop or don't play.

When I started playing and practicing SF4, Brawl, Madden, Chess-- anything, it was fun. I got enjoyment out of practicing, learning, and just playing. As I become better at anything, I feel good by improving and of course beating down lesser competition. With continued time, winning comes naturally. A great sense of fulfillment and fun is had while winning.

On the other side of the coin is losing. For a serious player, one must understand that losses-- many losses are inevitable. This unstoppable force is most certainly not fun. No one likes losing-- I don't like losing. Why do I keep playing? First- I'm good enough where I win a good proportion more than I lose. Second- if the first point doesn't carry, I have the ability to get good enough so it does. If the above doesn't carry say for instance in Brawl, there are other avenues for which I obtain my drive to play, like maintaining my blog and teaching newbies. Third, for me, all things being equal- the enjoyment of one win is greater than one disappointment of one loss. Fourth-- I've found that I simply love the act of competition, which is where tournament play comes in.

The enjoyment of practice and learning builds up to the tournament. More than likely, any given serious player will not make the money. In other words, by entering a tournament you are admitting you will lose twice during the day. Playing in a tournament is more than that. It's the culmination of all the things leading up to it. It's a way to test oneself and play the some of the best players. Since many will likely lose, most players including myself, play for the experience of the competition. That in itself is thrilling.

TLDR; Losing is simply part of playing, if you can't learn to get over losses or deal with them, ANY competition is not for you. It's not about enjoying losing, it's enjoying everything else and whether that outweighs losing for a given person.

@Joker-- I can't make it. :( I'll just be like JWong or Combofiend at WNF. I sill carry the title by default and I'll just come and go as I please! You can call me whatever horrible thing if you want to, I guess.

@Blank- name the game(s).

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I compete in games to impress you ******s.

Look where thats gotten me, ****games man. Competition is for scum!

Honestly when you compete in anything you have to acknowledge the game might not always be "fun." But thats a personal thing. It can be fun knowing you stood up to the challenge at one point, and still can achieve the wins you want. Others truly are pot monsters, they play for fun because they think they can win, and maybe stop after being disappointed. Others are stream monsters, they come to see the talent players bring to the table and enjoy the socializing (if you can call it that) that comes with it.

I play games seriously because analyzing them and pushing things to their limits is fun to me. In all aspects of my life, if I were to blind myself from the competitive side of a game it'd be like ignoring the finer aspects of the game period. Doing that just goes against my nature, and achieving "competence" is pretty much all I want when it comes to the game. Enough to say "I'm competent enough to have an opinion on this without feeling scrub." but my end-goal would also probably line-up with matching up to top players as well just because of the nature of the scene.

Other then that, you can really mock the thought of it all you want, but if I had no one to play for, I probably wouldn't put much time into many games at all. I don't think games take much time to practice once you've played fighters enough. I'd just stick to the games I like the most, but ever since I was introduced to the idea, I think its good to just play a wide variety of fighters and experience what you can from all of them.

@Blake- Ft10 in Jojos.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
You should start the Bi-Weekly on the 17th.
I guess I'm fine with it will other people be interested in showing up and I'm talking about Iowa and Nebraska since that the only people that show to them ^.^

Also, Christian, update your Brawl result screen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVa0Q_t0bI
lol way a head of you I actually had that song in Brawl for a while is just that we never stay on the result screen long enough for it to play T.T

@Everyone: So I'm thinking of having a tourney before Cooks so either the 1st or 8th of October discuss v(^.^)v

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
^I think right now is you, me and Skizm blank isn't here and don't know if CBK will want to go but if you decide not to go I'm kool with that >.0

Soran

Smash Ace
I was vote 9001 for no xP

I tied it xPPP

anyway, well-said, ngamer and blank ; )

I wonder when the next actual games I'll make..... I'd just play marvel. lolz
maybe brawl just to see how bad I am. (same reason for marvel but at least I like that game x.x)

EDIT: you guys hear/see about the persona 4 fighting game?

*cricket noises*

it's made by Atlus and... ArkSys >.> *anti-blank flame-shield*
That's all the resources I had... for blank... *open to flames from everybody else*

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
Christian lets grind this game together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soH8jG_gfGQ&feature=share

Its so anime. Also prinny girl is adorable.
i already got this game and its pretty rockin. much improvement since the third game, the sprites arent unbearable to look at anymore, fuka is <3 though. on another note, i vote for october 1 for the next date since im pretty sure that on the 8th tony and i are goin to new york for a concert

EDIT: you guys hear/see about the persona 4 fighting game?

*cricket noises*

it's made by Atlus and... ArkSys >.> *anti-blank flame-shield*
That's all the resources I had... for blank... *open to flames from everybody else*
yeah im pretty sure that we've all heard about this already, christian and i talked about this game awhile ago. just sayin since i think this is the second time that you've brought it up

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I have nothing against Ark-Sys.

In fact everything they've done to help propagate blazblue's success has been right.

The game just sucks.

Very little information on Persona fighter atm, everyone just wants it to be like Jojo's.

Top Bottom