• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Proficient (-BC-)

Smash Ace
How do people fail when teaming with Joker?
Its not that hard.... You team with him and then u win games. Simple as that cause he's that good.

Im sure even I could team with him and win a ton even tho I only know 1 move.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
But it IS a fact. I've been playing the game forever and I've gotten only so far. Others like yourself have the potential to go farther. However, the results have not come, YET.

Don't speak to me about attitude when I work every day to get better at a lot of different games-- I'm still one of iowa's only traveling players in any game, this is one of them if you recall. I still work at Brawl, but my progress is much slower at this point. I don't like losing, but at the same time-- I'm not going to pretend I'm good or even mediocre at this game. Fact is, I'm *** and everyone knows it. Nearly everybody is better than me in Des Moines, but by how much? The gap is small sans Joker and Sekou.

BOLT08

Smash Lord

The reason why I hate when you trash talk my team is cause you always make it sound your team is better I don't really team with anyone here and like I have mention before I don't see myself teaming with anyone here cause when it comes down to it everyone ALWAYS fails me for some reason they will always try with you but say fack you when is me, I start thinking maybe my play style is the thing that is messing them up but then I team with TMACC first time ever teaming with him I don't do anything different and went all the way to GF. Back in the day I didn't mind playing doubles cause I had Razor and he was my teammate so I actually wanted to practice now I'm only playing to hear you trash talk to me cause I'm giving you team practice cause you and Brandon pretty much team everytime so then you get to practice stuff together while I'm stuck learning nothing.
So when it comes down to it I don't see why you feel the need to talk down to my team knowing that no matter who I team from IA it's pretty much free for you.

That is ridiculous. Why would people only try with Sek'ou and say "meh, I'm with joker now, f*ck it." I know when I team with you I try just as hard as I do with sek'ou. The fact of the matter is he plays a character that doesn't have the potential to absolutely completely f*ck you up. It is a lot easier to play with diddy as a teammate than a snake. If I mess up with diddy, I trip. If I mess up with you, I get blown up to kingdom come.

If you want to do better in teams you need to pick a partner that is going to consistently be there, and stick with that person. Brandon would be your best bet, I think. Since I'm largely unavailable for tourneys, as is Sek'ou. Also, wario can take a good amount of damage.

But it IS a fact. I've been playing the game forever and I've gotten only so far. Others like yourself have the potential to go farther. However, the results have not come, YET.

Don't speak to me about attitude when I work every day to get better at a lot of different games-- I'm still one of iowa's only traveling players in any game, this is one of them if you recall. I still work at Brawl, but my progress is much slower at this point. I don't like losing, but at the same time-- I'm not going to pretend I'm good or even mediocre at this game. Fact is, I'm *** and everyone knows it. Nearly everybody is better than me in Des Moines, but by how much? The gap is small sans Joker and Sekou.
It's because you play yoshi. And you're yoshi is soo good. Don't sell yourself short. We just don't compare as well to other areas of the US for simple geographic reasons. We have smaller populations than any of the places with really good players, and a lot of our players are really spread out. Because...well it's Iowa. It's a bunch of small towns. A lot of us have very busy lives too with school, work, etc. A lot of us also can't afford to make a lot of trips. I know I can't because school exhausts all my time and money.

I think we have potential to be good, it's just difficult with all the travel.

Also, MMM I like the layout.

BPx

Smash Lord
@Everyone: Warning...a super long paragraph is approaching...

Hahahaha

@Bpx: Your account is still logged in on my Mac laptop :-\....

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Joker “on the topic of playing doubles and trash talking”: Yeah, it is pretty easy playing doubles no matter who I team with, however, it is about playing with friends (“AWE!!!! How sweet?” - the audience) and doing cool stuff. Winning is a part of it, but there have been plenty of days that I win more than I lose, but I don't enjoy it cause I was playing bad. Or where I feel GREAT cause I lost but did some tight stuff that I can use again. Again, it is all about playing for me. I am not trash talking to brag about how great I am or anything, it is just how I play. You are right, I do make it “sound” like my team is better. But I mean I do that even when N_o_M is on my team (Warning Bus Approaching). So if N_o_M and I are teaming and he gets a good upsmash kill on you Joker...of course i'm gonna something crazy like “Oh snap Joker, watch out! Olimar Snake match up is 100 – 0 so that means N_o_M to Joker is 110% to -10%.” I'm sure anyone who has played with me for 15 seconds knows that I would say something crazy like that, however, we ALL know the N_o_M to Joker match up is 0 – 100% the other way around :-D....It is all a game to me. A good example was when we played against Logic's Olimar and Metaknight in Houston. I was trash talking, so was he. We trashed talked each other the whole time and each got good kills...however...as soon as it was over. He dapped me up, and it was cool. It was all a game to him to too and it was about having fun interacting in and outside of the game...same with me

@Joker “on the topic of people playing on your team”: You have it right on the money when you say it is the “Sekou Effect”. When we play teams, my style is ALWAYS to disrupt the synergy between teammates. I do it 2 on 2 and I do it 2 on 1. That is what I do and I enjoy it with a passion. So since that is my main game plan, a lot of the time my team mate only has to contribute. Often they contribute with kills and the periodic save. Combine that with me hyping them up it looks like they are playing REALLY well. Sometimes they are, no lie! So we switch teams, and my team mate is now on your team. My game plan hasn't changed, “cause discord among the brethren”. So I continue to do what I do, however you have a new teammate and now you are seeing how they deal with the madness that I create. More often than not, they aren't doing a good job of seeing through the madness, so it looks like they were kicking butt on my team and now they are like “WTF do I do?!?” The irony is, Joker even you have noticed it. When we play on teams and I ask you about it you have said “I can play differently because I don't have to worry about getting knocked off stage and or bananas flying at me at random times. I especially can play with a lot more offense if I want to.” It is the same way for your teammates. So they aren't trying harder for me, I'm just try to make it easier.

@Joker “on the topic of playing doubles as practice”: I really think if you view the game from a wholistic point you will be able to gain “practice” from playing and not just playing “doubles” or “singles”. No one will argue that I'm a “bad” singles player. I learned how to play singles by playing doubles. I view every interaction in a doubles match as if it were singles. The best analogy is Tag Team wrestling. I'm in the ring, against my opponent fighting, however I know the other team can break the rules at anytime and come in with a chair...(or in your case a grenade or up-tilt :-) ), so that other factor is always on my mind. It isn't that i'm JUST playing doubles, i'm playing a singles match with a BUNCH of extra distractions. I happen to LOVE those distractions, it makes it more interesting. I bet if you viewed each interation with an opponent as a “singles”, you will get that practice you desire so much while having fun and even during my trash talk. ;-)

@Joker “as a doubles player”: Joker you are a PHENOMINAL doubles partner. Hell, we are the reigning champions for your monthly :). There were times during the tourney where you picked up on things that I didn't see. I have and do respect you as a doubles player as much as I do as a singles player. I can recommend somethings that will make playing doubles against me easier, and against others in general. Improve your speed. I don't want to go into that, but you and I have talked about it. Improving your speed is going to be highly crucial. You will be shocked that it will help you in singles also. Also, simply talk to your teammates. People want to get better, but they don't know how. If we are in the middle of a match and I hear you give good advice, I might say something crazy like “nawl that ain't gonna help!”, but once the match ends I'm gonna be like “Yeah, Joker was right, you should not have camped like that you should have been next to him doing xy or z.” I don't know if you are shy, nervous, or stubborn :-D, BUT regardless, if you talk to your teammates they will play better I promise. You have played against me forEVER, so you know at least 85% of my plans. It is your job to inform your teammate, so my plan no longer goes from a 75% chance of success down to 10% or 5%. Lastly, don't get caught up with percentages, and the “BEST” thing to do in a situation. Be creative, hell it was your creativity that had people crazed over your snake in the first place. As the game progresses though, you got to keep innovating and implementing stuff, no matter if you think it is useful or not. I think if you implement these things...do more of the same stuff you been doing...there will be no stopping you (especially not me :) ).

gantrain05

Smash Master
The only people who I consider pretty good at Brawl whose from Iowa is Joker and Sekou. Everyone else is just a henchmen/underling.
psh, i don't care what u say, even if i don't play brawl for 6 months at a time, i bet i could still pick up my sticks and rage all over most people lol.

and hey Ngamer i got mad respect for u, drivin like 2 hours to jokers all the time just for smashfests and stuff, plus ur a fellow SC player so that gets u even more respect.

and joker, dude i'll team with u sometime. After like...3 years i don't think we have teamed once for realz, i mean we've done stupid(awesome) teams like ganon/samus or pika/MK lol. but i think we should give the peach/snake thing a try.

Soran

Smash Ace
I don't like how the posts are so WIIIIDDDEEEEE like someone posted a wide pic .o.

My wi-fi is back! So time to get my Brawl game back to speed.
lol wi-fi

BOLT08

Smash Lord
@Pcity and @Brandon Are you guys up for games tomorrow? I should be home around 4ish. I can't drive still though as my car is still in desperate need of an oil change. I'm taking care of that this weekend. I can give a little bit of cash to help cover gas.

Sek'ou, reply promptly. As I know you like to wait till the last minute. :p

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

The reason why I hate when you trash talk my team is cause you always make it sound your team is better I don't really team with anyone here and like I have mention before I don't see myself teaming with anyone here cause when it comes down to it everyone ALWAYS fails me for some reason they will always try with you but say fack you when is me, I start thinking maybe my play style is the thing that is messing them up but then I team with TMACC first time ever teaming with him I don't do anything different and went all the way to GF. Back in the day I didn't mind playing doubles cause I had Razor and he was my teammate so I actually wanted to practice now I'm only playing to hear you trash talk to me cause I'm giving you team practice cause you and Brandon pretty much team everytime so then you get to practice stuff together while I'm stuck learning nothing.
So when it comes down to it I don't see why you feel the need to talk down to my team knowing that no matter who I team from IA it's pretty much free for you.

Man I hate this time of the year cause it makes it harder to hold the tourney for you >.<
I was already hesitant about holding the tourney till 7pm cause even thought it say midnight I'll like to finish sooner if possible like 10pm. So I'll try to hold the tourney but like Brandon mention is Easter weekend and last time not many people showed up so it all depends on how many people are here that day.
Joker you know I like teaming with you, I just feel guilty that perhaps you don't enjoy it. So yeah don't sweat it, I love teaming with Snake o:

Or Mario + Luigi so we can get off FLUDD Fury LOL

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Oh Rob. I bought Mega Man X for 14 bucks. I think it was a pretty good deal. The guy had X3 unopened and I REALLY wanted to buy it.

THuGz

Smash Lord
1) trash talk is one of the worst things about this community. it's always just annoying, even if it isn't anything personal
2) me and rob are cping to spear pillar in GF's

Echo

Smash Champion
I'd say that's a fair price for X, depending on the condition it's in. X3 is definitely worth some dough.

I'm gonna try to make it to the next monthly, it's been a while.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
The X came WITH the box, in great condition.

X3 was being sold for 60 in the box. I almost bought it...

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
If it was unopened, you definitely could've made your money back just from selling it: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=mega+man+x3&_sacat=See-All-Categories

With that said, I'd just emulate it. X3 is a good game, but seriously lacks in comparision to the glory that is X/X2/X4.

@Joker and anyone in Iowa who likes awesome 8-bit music: http://www.souleye.se/ppppppowerup

^ VVVVVV remix album, officially put together by the guy who did the original soundtrack. One of the songs is up on OC Remix: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02205/

(Insert linkin' log joke here)

THuGz

Smash Lord
PS: I want to mm everyone for practice, accepting mm's against anyone in IA that isn't Joker or PCity

THuGz

Smash Lord
I'm half Japanese and half a bunch of european things, but obviously Japanese-ness influences me a lot more than whatever else I am. And I'm fine with either, your choice sir.

Jlo after we do a legit mm, we should do mm's by tiers, play one mm S - G tier, $1 each :3

Top Bottom