• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

resTy

Smash Champion
Seriously, that sounded like the worst tournament in the history of the world.
I'd say it's on par with that Clash of the Ninja tournament, AT BEST!

§chizm

Smash Lord
Nope, I didn't get anything for winning that BS tournament. NK3 was pretty meh. I got seeded like crap and got 25th out of 44. (Also, Zeton and Hylian got 25th, wtf is up with this seeding?)
Yeah bad seeding happens sometimes.
I hate it.

Seriously, that sounded like the worst tournament in the history of the world.
I'd say it's on par with that Clash of the Ninja tournament, AT BEST!
That's a pretty fucking low bar to crawl under.
Anything going on at Jokers this week before the 20th?
Well it's my spring break this week so I can pretty much do stuff whenever (except when I work).

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Nope, I didn't get anything for winning that BS tournament. NK3 was pretty meh. I got seeded like crap and got 25th out of 44. (Also, Zeton and Hylian got 25th, wtf is up with this seeding?)
So stupid.

Also, I'm thinking of hosting a tournament here, would anybody show up if I did so? I just want to hear if this sounds like a good idea or not.

Afrayail

Smash Ace
@Yink: I'm pretty sure my friend ended up taking over the Brawl tourney at some point, since the main guy didn't really know anything about it.

Though I will say it's kinda naive to think you'll have a good tournament at Anime Iowa. There were over 80 people, and we had.... what, 2-3 hours ONLY? While it sucked/was scary as ****, there wasn't much else they could have done, and that's due to poor scheduling/space/TV dedication on their part (not like Nebraskon, where the dip**** was a ****ing ****** just because he thought he knew best.. there were very easy ways around THAT, but he just wanted to be a ****.)

Anyway, Anime cons don't give a s[h]it about video games like Brawl usually, so not much time/space is dedicated. I was talking with Staff last year and the gist of it was they didn't HAVE more space for hosting a non-**** Brawl tournament, which is why the entire room was packed like effing sardines. Depending upon how anime detour goes, I'd suggest something like what they're doing with the 3 part "qualifying" tournaments.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Is it bad if I've spent $174.59 on Yu-Gi-Oh cards in the past two weeks?
Yes, unbelievably. This is why I never got into card games, too effing expensive. Same with paintball.

Thats like 3 trips to the grocery store for me or
4 months worth of alcohol
about 17 times of going out to eat
8 full tanks of gas
3 video games
or 4 blu rays
or about 9 dvds

Find better uses for your money imo.

resTy

Smash Champion
On the plus side, I got these cards:
- Battle Fader ($40)
- 2x Djinn Disserere of Rituals ($20 each)
- Koa'ki Meiru Urnight ($5-10)
- Sun Dragon Inti ($10)
- Drill Warrior ($5)
- Oracle of the Sun ($5-10)
- Gravekeeper's Visionary ($5-10)
- Cards of Consonance ($5-10)
- Ogre of the Scarlet Sorrow (Nothing lolz)

If I sold those, I'd maybe be around the neighborhood of how much I spent ;)

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
Id say paying for cards is about as much of a waste as any dvds or video games. I bought most of my magic cards years ago and I am still playing with them. Those 30-40 bucks I spent on birds of paradise was a better deal then most games that people seem to put down after they beat and not touch for months or years.

Same thing goes for movies as I doubt people re watch the same movie 4 times during the same week.

Uli

Smash Champion
gawd damn birds use to be 30 bucksssssssss
to bad old yugioh cards are worthless(banned cards ;_; )

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
I bought them when mirrodin block was still around so they were only like 8-10 bucks each. yay for mirroding. they still haven't gone up in price but I guess thats due to all the dual lands

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
On the plus side, I got these cards:
- Battle Fader ($40)
- 2x Djinn Disserere of Rituals ($20 each)
- Koa'ki Meiru Urnight ($5-10)
- Sun Dragon Inti ($10)
- Drill Warrior ($5)
- Oracle of the Sun ($5-10)
- Gravekeeper's Visionary ($5-10)
- Cards of Consonance ($5-10)
- Ogre of the Scarlet Sorrow (Nothing lolz)

If I sold those, I'd maybe be around the neighborhood of how much I spent ;)
I be willing top trade for that Drill Warrior Tyser.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Id say paying for cards is about as much of a waste as any dvds or video games. I bought most of my magic cards years ago and I am still playing with them. Those 30-40 bucks I spent on birds of paradise was a better deal then most games that people seem to put down after they beat and not touch for months or years.

Same thing goes for movies as I doubt people re watch the same movie 4 times during the same week.
That is very dependent on your investing habits. I've watched and play every game I own multiple times. I bought watchmen on blu ray and I've watched it probably over 10 times. I've replayed every game I own at least twice (the longer ones) and the shorter ones several times.

Also, I really f*cking need a new pair of sticks. The joystick on this one is soo worn out already. Boost pivot grabbing ftl, and lasering.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
@Yink: I'm pretty sure my friend ended up taking over the Brawl tourney at some point, since the main guy didn't really know anything about it.

Though I will say it's kinda naive to think you'll have a good tournament at Anime Iowa. There were over 80 people, and we had.... what, 2-3 hours ONLY? While it sucked/was scary as ****, there wasn't much else they could have done, and that's due to poor scheduling/space/TV dedication on their part (not like Nebraskon, where the dip**** was a ****ing ****** just because he thought he knew best.. there were very easy ways around THAT, but he just wanted to be a ****.)

Anyway, Anime cons don't give a s[h]it about video games like Brawl usually, so not much time/space is dedicated. I was talking with Staff last year and the gist of it was they didn't HAVE more space for hosting a non-**** Brawl tournament, which is why the entire room was packed like effing sardines. Depending upon how anime detour goes, I'd suggest something like what they're doing with the 3 part "qualifying" tournaments.
I was talking about a different tournament in general, not just Anime Iowa.

I was asking of people would like a normal tournament here in Iowa City, that's all.

Uli

Smash Champion
greggggg does anyone you know have elemental hero oceans or a malicious for trade possibly sell?!?
i wont have a deck ready on friday probably -_-

nerds already have shiny pokemon?!?! i have yet to encounter one in my whole pokemon career D:

also trent would probably be the only person to go to that tourny in iowa city from NE

Mushroomring

Smash Lord
Lets see, throughout my Pokemon career I've gotten:

Red Gyarados, Weedle, Gen 2

Torchic, Tentacool, Spinda, Aerodactyl, Treecko, Charmander, Articuno, Bulbasaur, Torchic, Squirtle, Groudon, Rayquaza, Poliwhirl, Gen 3

Pichu, Larvitar, Beldum, Poliwag, Totodile, soon to be Red Gyarados, Gen 4

resTy

Smash Champion
Im gonna try to clarify things for this weekend; if you have problems with it, tell me:
- Yulai can leave anytime on Friday and is willing to leave Sunday morning.
- Trent is the same as Yulai.
- Matt is a maybe, but, if he goes he can leave Friday after school and come back Sunday morning.

If I'm incorrect on anything, seriously, holla atcha boi.

Afrayail

Smash Ace
I know your other post was about the IC tourney, and that's pretty boss. I was just referring to your post where you talked about AI specifically.

Dude the other person that might do it, did it last year and these were his rules (you will just LOVE them):

-no time limit
-free-for-all with 4 players (the ONE person who beat all 3 proceeds, everyone else fails and doesn't get anything after that)
-after the FFA, finally just 1v1
-stupid stages were present
-no prizes (well, I think Trent got like, something for first for the dealer's room. I got nothing for second, I remember that much)

If he does it again...asflkjsalskfj...can I at least take out hte FFA?

*plays SoulSilver*

Not trying to say they were perfect, cuz the tournament blew and AI sucks for games. But I guess there were some things that kinda had to be done. I think they should be smacked around if they ignore the issue of the gaming room/time schedule (and some of the other general rules that didn't need to be there), and maybe we'll have time for elimination in the non FFA style.. but man. All those noobs were eager to get ***** I guess :p

Edit: dayum, matt! I've only ever seen a Tengela (sp?) in Silver. Anything in particular you do to increase finding them, or just play hardcore?

§chizm

Smash Lord
Matt how many times did you have to reset to get a shiny starter haha.
I won't have a Yugioh deck ready for this weekend, so I won't be playing unless someone has an extra lolol.
I will have Magic though.
I might have to work till 3 or 4 on Saturday, poop. But $18 an hour is pretty good.
Starcraft HAS to happen. I'll bring my laptop and my netbook. Perfect Dark is also happening (hopefully).
People will need to tell me if they want booze.
FMA:B is amazing but it's almost finished.
Also we're playin CvS2 at Joker's now, sooooooo good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GGd1UH9UpA

Mushroomring

Smash Lord
Matt how many times did you have to reset to get a shiny starter haha.
The way I go about getting shiny starters is that if I dont geta shiny on a new save account after about 100 tries, I delete the acount and start up a new save file. It's been working like a charm in every game except for Diamond and Platinum. It'd probably be easier to RNG them but I dont even understand everything that goes with it yet.

Trent

Smash Champion
Yeah, the Sonic social thread used to do that.

Every page would be a different song, mods can imbed music into their posts.

resTy

Smash Champion
I probably will never have the privilege to be a mod because I have a bad rep with those guys.
Plus, I wouldn't want to represent the Red Race.
I'm above that ****.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I probably will never have the privilege to be a mod because I have a bad rep with those guys.
Plus, I wouldn't want to represent the Red Race.
I'm above that ****.
That is almost as messed up as if I became a mod.

Top Bottom