• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
What anime is this?
Hayate no Gotoku - 2nd Season

That would be weird if Blank had a purple name.
Honestly I didn't even know there was a Brawl+ backroom until he mentioned it. Seems kind of unnecessary. :confused:

Also is Kudo's avatar supposed to be a trap?
well we need some more color in this thread. all that matters is that we get to get some purpleish up in here. and is my avatar a trap? well thats for me to know and for u guys to find out and enjoy \(^o^)/

Teh Future

Smash Master
Razor check out this thing Thinkaman came up with kinda like the razor challenge but with definded rewls.

This Saturday...

...at an otherwise unimportant tourney in St. Louis...

The top players from brackets will be invited to experience something unprecedented...

SMASH BROS. DRAFT FORMAT

8 players. 4 unique characters each. Who will you choose?

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE, BUT THEY MUST USE FOUR!

Official ruleset will be posted soon, until then, feel free to express your profound confusion.

(Standard SBR rules where not otherwise specified.)

In draft format, everyone selects 4 unique characters at the start of the tourney in a draft. (Exact details on the draft procedure can be read below.) Players may not use any character more than once a set; in other words, they will use each character once. How?

All sets are best of FOUR. In case of a 2-2 tie, the final match is the tie breaker. (That means whenever a 4th match is required, winner takes all!) This number of matches makes stage counter-picking go like this:

Neutral
Counterpick A
Counterpick B
Neutral of the leader's choice

In other words, both players always get one stage counterpick. Whoever wins the first match gets to decide what order the players counterpick, and if the players split 2-1 the leader gets to decide the last stage from the neutrals.

After the stage for each game is determined, both players decide which of their characters they will use. They reveal at the same time.

Draft Procedure:
The 8 participants are randomly numbered 1-8. There are 36 characters to draft from; Sheik/Zelda and PT count as one character, but ZSS and Samus are seperate. (Samus is allowed to transform though.) Players pick in an ABBA pattern:

The four unchosen characters are the "sideboard". If a player is ever really unhappy with a matchup after they and their opponent reveal characters, the player may decide to instead play as one of the unchosen sideboard characters. The player still cannot play the original character they picked in that set again, and no player can use the same sideboard character more than once the entire tourney.

FULL EXAMPLE:

During the draft, I pick Ness first round since I think I'm good with Ness and know the other players are too. Second round future picks Jigglypuff before I can, but Snake wasn't picked yet so I gladly take him. Third round most the good characters are gone, so I decide to take Sheik/Zelda. Fourth round there are very few characters left, and the only one I'm decent with is Ganondorf.

First round I play future. I know I'm at a big disadvantage, since I picked Ganondorf and he has both ICs (no one else wanted to pick them first round) and Jigglypuff. He also has Bowser and Lucas, his third and fourth round picks.

I suspect future is going to save the ICs for last, so I figure I will save Snake to fight them. I predict he is going to lead with Jigglypuff, so I decide to go Ness. It turns out I was wrong, future goes ICs first, and beats me. He wants me to counter-pick first, so I counter-pick Green Greens. I figure there is no way he'll play Jigglypuff there, so I can get a win with Ganondorf.

Unfortunately, future saw through my plan and went Jigglypuff as I went Ganondorf. I decide that there is no way I want to play this matchup, and will play a sideboard character instead of Ganondorf. The characters no one picked were Yoshi, Sonic, Captain Falcon, and Samus. I'm probably best with Falcon, but I might want to save him for a another set since I can only use each sideboard once, ever. I decide to play Yoshi, and use my matchup experience with JGALT along with the stage advantage to win.

Future's turn to counter-pick, so he picks Norfair to be ironic. He goes Bowser and I go Snake, and I barely win. Since I lead 2-1, I get to pick which neutral we play on for our final Lucas vs. Sheik showdown. I pick Battlefield hoping I'll get easier Sheik gimps on a smaller stage, but no luck. Future's Lucas manages to beat my Zelda, and he wins the set 2-2.

Got it? Sound awesome? Good.
:D

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
Sounds more like Magic The Gathering booster pack draft. The use of the word "sideboard" kinda gives it away.

I found out what you guys need to add to your pokemon game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQjkPavo9Bo

I am totally maining Pikachu. Listening to old pokemon tracks have inspired me.

EDIT: Who needs to memorize type charts when you have this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5jR4e4ggo
Yugioh cheezy music is only second to pokemon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnQDEFBZ_Eg

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
lol Bone u r so right on that one, it does sound like a magic draft. something even more epic is that this thread finally reached the 10,000 post range. \(^o^)/

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
That is a really elaborate challenge, but I am more hung-up right now on upside-down SF2T. Get it? Hung-up? Upside down? Lawl

Our mystery tourney should be pokemon battles, Magikarp only.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Lol@ that video.

"wtf do you mean you don't have hyper beam? just use splash attack"
"magikarp dodge away from that splash. Nice work magikarp."

Oh I will be attending this tourney most likelies. Shall i bring SC AND PWN SOME NOOOOOOBS?

ZhaR not czar

Smash Rookie
So, Blank Mauser told me about this monthly tournament, and I'm thinking that I'll probably go to it. I mainly hang at AiB, because the Link boards are over there, so I've had no idea that a smash scene exists in Iowa until today.

I was wondering if there's anything that I should know about it. If I go, this will be my first tourney irl, and I'm not familiar at all with how everything is set up.

Oh yeah, and I'm only 15 years old... I hope that's not an issue...

Uli

Smash Champion
oh lord blank is just recruiting 15 year olds

but uhh bring your own controller
introduce your self to peeps
have a good time
fuuuck yeaaaah!

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
So, Blank Mauser told me about this monthly tournament, and I'm thinking that I'll probably go to it. I mainly hang at AiB, because the Link boards are over there, so I've had no idea that a smash scene exists in Iowa until today.

I was wondering if there's anything that I should know about it. If I go, this will be my first tourney irl, and I'm not familiar at all with how everything is set up.

Jordan WILL hit on you. Ignore him.

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord

have a good time
fuuuck yeaaaah!
i aways knew that Blank had things for younger kids \(^o^)/, but in all seriousness ^this pretty much sums it up

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion

Well its a bring your own controller tourney, and it usually lasts pretty long into the night. You might want to let your parents know that ahead of time. Familiarize yourself with the counterpicks too if you haven't already, Iowa has a pretty liberal stage list lol.

And you can stop by Joker's for games, theres usually talk about it on this thread.

have a good time
fuuuck yeaaaah!
I'm not the youngest at every tourney anymore blahhhhhh

Uli

Smash Champion
people do pop up from the shadows in omaha, its just that none of them take the extra effort and come out and paly GAAAMEES

blank you will forever be the youngest in our hearts :3

ZhaR not czar

Smash Rookie
What's the general age for tourney attenders? I've always known that I was pretty young to want to play competitively. In case anybody has issues with people as young as I am, just know that I despise most people my age (that I know), and actively try to be less of an *** than they are.

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
yeah i got that since i said like college ish or so was included. i should be more clear and say like 16ish-24ish?? well im just guestimating since i started competitive smash in like 06' and thats what i think

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
You see, when I'm in my 20s there will be similar situations like this. Except I'll be in my 20s, and will be recruiting new smashers who are my current age and taking them OOS.

:pikachu:

sluys

Smash Journeyman
yeah i got that since i said like college ish or so was included. i should be more clear and say like 16ish-24ish?? well im just guestimating since i started competitive smash in like 06' and thats what i think
right. high school and college but mostly college age people i'm thinking.

nothing to worry about if you're younger.

§chizm

Smash Lord
Yeah you don't really have to worry about anything.
If it helps I could easily look like I was 15...

On a completely unrelated note, do you like candy? ;)

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
I hope you don't watch anime and play pokemon, we have had it enough with this type of losers.

I will be coming down again this month. ZhaR not czar you should feel privilege to see in person how we Texans play smash. Pay attention, you may learn a thing or two.

Top Bottom