• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Introduction to Mental Game

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
*shrug* okay. in a weird way, i need more sheiks to deal with anyway. i'm tired of spacies all the time.

and i certainly don't mind peach. even(ish) matchups are fun.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm still disappointed, but I guess it can't be helped. I dunno. I rarely practice Fox, and my basic tech skill is fine (I don't need the fancy stuff). Maybe I'll switch to Fox to even it out.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Got around to reading this. Holy jeez, it's absolutely fantastic. I'm definitely going to be checking this back when I can.

NNID
dansalvato
This was a good reminder to make conscious notes of what is going on in your game. Don't autopilot. Learning your opponent's habits can be very easy if you just remember to try.

Mental game is the reason low tiers can beat space animals, etc.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I'm glad you mentioned "overthinking" in the OP, Snips, cuz I find myself doing that all the time. Either that or I'm on auto (awful habit), and this really helped me to remember to moderate thinking and actually be conscious when I'm playing.

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
This is easily one of the most useful threads ever made. Thanks man :)

Also, you should get your entire fencing school to take up Smash. More players is never a bad thing :p

Palpi

Smash Hero
*shrug* okay. in a weird way, i need more sheiks to deal with anyway. i'm tired of spacies all the time.

and i certainly don't mind peach. even(ish) matchups are fun.
Turns out, I've been playing a lot and practicing a lot since there is nothing to do at school, so fox has been reborn in my life. <3

:phone:

Palpi

Smash Hero
Start the god damn ping pong club, you scrub.
And play smash with me more. Like, every day at 3.
I was thinking about ping pong club. I don't think I really want to have the responsibility of running something, and rather just play with someone...but yeah that sounds good. I'll be over today lol

I want to get back into counterstrike but the interwebz is fail XD

D

Deleted member

I think there's a lot to be said about patterns that are so commonly used that they are implicitly expected in competitive play. While it is a minor nitpick, I think you should delve into why your movements are so standard (section 5) that you should actively look for them. The power behind the common motions comes from evaluation of risk/reward and execution of a predetermined goal.

I'm only adding this because for a lot of players, making those decisions can become "going through the motions" after a time in such a way that your audience (new players) may not understand. The Why is just as important as the How.

Just my small opinion.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
I think there's a lot to be said about patterns that are so commonly used that they are implicitly expected in competitive play. While it is a minor nitpick, I think you should delve into why your movements are so standard (section 5) that you should actively look for them. The power behind the common motions comes from evaluation of risk/reward and execution of a predetermined goal.

I'm only adding this because for a lot of players, making those decisions can become "going through the motions" after a time in such a way that your audience (new players) may not understand. The Why is just as important as the How.

Just my small opinion.
It might just be that I haven't slept, but I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. Could you elaborate?
EDIT: Rereading it now, it makes sense. I'll add it in, certainly. Just not when I'm passing out like this.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
I updated with a section on pressure. Hopefully I can expand upon it more and then get working on the final few sections. Tell me what you think.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You can bait without sacrificing a resource. For example, you can visually bait someone to shield grab by short hopping in front of them and wavelanding back.

Last edited:

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
You can bait without sacrificing a resource. For example, you can visually bait someone to shield grab by short hopping in front of them and wavelanding back.
But with that you run the risk that they WD OOS and punish your wavedash or grab you out of the air. Otherwise it wouldn't really be a bait as you wouldn't be in a position where they saw an opportunity. Of course there will be exceptions (e.g. there's no way a Bowser is going to punish that OOS), but for the most part you need to place yourself in a spot that goads your opponent into doing something because they expect that they will punish you.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I've never had a good player grab my empty short hop out of the air. Because a good player knows that if you try to grab airborne opponents, usually you're asking to eat an aerial in the face.

Last edited:

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
True, but just because it isn't done often doesn't mean that the possibility isn't there. You're putting yourself in a spot where it's possible, which is a sacrifice, however small it may be. Either way it's just semantics really.

Jackson

Smash Lord
This is a big bump but I feel that this is a good place to ask. I feel that I'm naturally good at reading tech patterns and double jumps, so I profit on that a lot. However, I can never seem to do any kind of bait or make good reads in a non-advantageous position. How can I attune myself to catch on to approach habits, and such?

GHST

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much for this post. Especially because I love playing falco and love throwing out just anything.. This is where I truely begin playing the game

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Holy **** I didn't even realize this was s2j. It was great finally meeting you dude. I was that guy who approached you during round one pools.

Anyway, currently on the way home from Apex talking to my carmate about possible counters to fox Nair in neutral. Reading this really makes me appreciate how far I've come and also reminded me of a few things I've forgotten. Great post, Past-Me.

10/10

Top Bottom