• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Introduction to Mental Game

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
How did you even type all this out, anyways? You've always struck me as the type of person who intuitively knows, not necessarily someone who talks in depth about their ideas....like a Mango as opposed to a Peepee, if the comparison can be made.
I am more of an intuitive player, but I talk a lot of theory with Palpi. Plus, he and Melo taught me most of what I know about Melee, so it's a collection of what I've learned from them and my own internal analysis of the game. Once I get in a match, I no longer actively think about the broader topics discussed in this thread unless I'm working on getting a specific type of read into my mental checklist, but I do certainly think about the game outside of my matches.

Also, thanks to everyone who likes the thread. Hope it helps, there's more on the way tomorrow, hopefully. Well, today, but it's 4am, so it's really tomorrow.

**** the AM's, they make everything difficult.

EDIT: Black Chris, it's goin down at Apex

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
About to get some Skype mental game chat with Palpi. Significant updates to follow! If I knew how to group chat, I'd welcome anyone else who wanted in on the discussion to join us

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
wow. either youre trolling or Black Chris is effing Awful at this game.

lol
WHOA it wasn't until i quoted this that i saw the lol at the bottom. that color blends REALLY well.

also, i thought it was funny that Awful was capitalized. it made it seem like a tag. I am Awful.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
This color should blend even better. All you have to do is printscreen it, then use paint to find the RGB values.

But it doesn't. Fascinating, isn't it? Especially given how similar the colors are.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
The reason it came out wrong was because I forgot to convert the values from Decimal to Hexadecimal. I feel stupid now, that's a really basic mistake.

EDIT: Given that I got the same values people were using before, I bet whoever found this originally did what I did. Or had access to the code for the page.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
that's unfortunate.

if you stay in this thread long enough though, you should be able to pick up some tips from snips and rise up on the ladder!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. WHOA it wasn't until i quoted this that i saw the lol at the bottom. that color blends REALLY well.

2. also, i thought it was funny that Awful was capitalized. it made it seem like a tag. I am Awful.
1. I am amazing, I am also a ninja, thats why my ganon is better than yours. =P
2. Well I wanted to emphasise the word but I didnt want to put it in super serious ALL CAPS. so i just capped the first letter
yeah i lol'd

what color is the one that blends in with background?
dont worry about it.
This color should blend even better. All you have to do is printscreen it, then use paint to find the RGB values.

But it doesn't. Fascinating, isn't it? Especially given how similar the colors are.
The reason it came out wrong was because I forgot to convert the values from Decimal to Hexadecimal. I feel stupid now, that's a really basic mistake.

EDIT: Given that I got the same values people were using before, I bet whoever found this originally did what I did. Or had access to the code for the page.
Well Ive been around here for a while, so you pick up some insider info after you stick around for long enough lol.

Also, the best part is that Since im on a different forum skin, the background is a different gray. So even when you guys use the same shade that im using right now, to try and hide text, I can still see it plain as day.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i am most certainly not a ninja =/

my ganon is on ice; i'm more like a figure skater.

or it's got that buttery smoothness; my ganon is popcorn.

whichever seems more reasonable.

Varist

Smash Lord

i had access to the code for the page.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's always good to have a balance of equal or better players and also having worse players for experimentation. They all have their strength and weakness to learn new stuff. =P And.. it sounds like Kid and Blackchris need to MM Ganon ditto or something.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
oh, i was planning on ganon ditto mming him at apex, no worries. i feel like we were sposta have one at pound, but never crossed paths.

s3j, that thread looked pretty good. and pretty accurate too. it definitely works as ganon too; you can tell when people are afraid of ganon (tech away), and you can tell when people have the mentality to get back in and just eff him up (tech in place).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I dont play with jesse, and even then, since steffon quit to play LoL or whatever, I dont really lose to anybody else in Rochester.

Also, strange Ive always felt like stage positioning was always more influential to where a person teched

If I tech chase someone. i usually assume that if they are near the edge they are going to tech into the stage and if they are near the middle they will tech towards the edge.

Also, If somebody has to tech ganons fair, theyll always roll away from him

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Also, strange Ive always felt like stage positioning was always more influential to where a person teched

If I tech chase someone. i usually assume that if they are near the edge they are going to tech into the stage and if they are near the middle they will tech towards the edge.

Also, If somebody has to tech ganons fair, theyll always roll away from him
I would agree, but I think at higher levels when players have refined their patterns more, I would actually begin to expect more of the opposite, at least until you start comboing them. Once someone starts getting combo'd, they don't have as much time to think and they're usually focusing much harder on their DI than which way they tech, so they fall back into old habits

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Ive actually been trying to remind myself there there are actually are 7 different options in that situation. Even though the game is stupid enough to usually let you cover at least 5 of them.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Ive actually been trying to remind myself there there are actually are 7 different options in that situation. Even though the game is stupid enough to usually let you cover at least 5 of them.
Tech in, tech in place, tech away (Same as tech in place, for most punishes), miss tech. What else? Get up attack isn't really another option because it requires tech in place.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
tech left
tech right
tech stationary
get up roll left
get up roll right
stand up
get up attack.

Only problem is that fast characters like fox can nair at you if you miss the tech, covering the last four options, and still catch your tech if you do hit it.

Top Bottom