• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Intro To Samus + Character Match-Up's

Geist

Smash Master
I usually don't have a problem with Marths, but as soon as I step on Yoshi's story, I'll die.
Mostly because I like my movement freedom, and Marth can fsmash you from halfway across the stage, but also because I have absolutely NO idea what to do when I'm over him on a platform and he's being all violent and aggressive. I just freeze, or do something stupid like jump or bomb and lose a stock.

Tips? Tricks?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Uh... maybe Up B and get on the highest platform. At least then you won't be killed by a Utilt or Fsmash, but it would put you in a position to get comboed from there.

So, immediate death or risking getting comboed? That's one option.

Alukard

Smash Hero
stay grounded

vs

marth

because he is gay in the air vs samoose =P

typing like mango is funny

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I usually don't have a problem with Marths, but as soon as I step on Yoshi's story, I'll die.
And people wonder why I stick to calling YS "Marth's Story" rather than "Sheik's Story" or "Ganon's Story."

>_> I'll leave actual match-up advice to the pros, but my advice as far as this goes? Ban the stage as a counterpick/neutral before the match starts.

lol

Smooth Criminal

Underdog985

Smash Rookie
i was wondering about a good stage to counterpick against a Fox. I skimmed over the guide but i can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?

rhan

Smash Hero
My Samus stage againt Fox is Dreamland (64).

It has a high top and far side death zones. Easier for you to recover and live from certain moves.

Geist

Smash Master
And people wonder why I stick to calling YS "Marth's Story" rather than "Sheik's Story" or "Ganon's Story."

>_> I'll leave actual match-up advice to the pros, but my advice as far as this goes? Ban the stage as a counterpick/neutral before the match starts.

lol

Smooth Criminal
win advice
I usually call it boozers story.

Whenever I ban YS I always somehow end up on FoD, which is almost as bad.

I counterpick fox on BF or Kongo Jungle, like Flaco. Mostly because Jungle gimps lazarz and platforms screw with his mind, but also I think both stages gimp his recovery, which is something I am personally more concerned with when fighting fox.
Or I switch to Falcon :[

duals

Smash Journeyman
When i play... i only use the C-stick on the ground..... never in the air..... Does any one else do this? or is bad to not use it in the air?

Corigames

Smash Hero
God dammit...

...I ****ing hate altf4. This is about the 5th times he's given me an infraction for no reason whatsoever. It's useless stuff like this that is probably keeping me from getting moderator status for this board and it angers me to no extent. On that very same page there are two people flaming each other and one person with just a bunch of pictures and text saying, "Just testing." I was trying to be the voice of reason on the ****ing page and low and behold I am the one who gets the infraction.

So, if you are wondering why we don't have a moderator for this board, you may look no further than bias current moderators keeping me down.

On a lighter note. I'm tired as hell and am now going to sleep (5am to 1pm shift today). Good... night?

When i play... i only use the C-stick on the ground..... never in the air..... Does any one else do this? or is bad to not use it in the air?
It's why you are suppose to use it at all really :/

You can DI with the control stick one way and attack in another with the C stick.

Edit:
If I get banned because I'm pissed off, sorry. I'll just come back in a week or so and catch up on everything. But, I seriously don't know what I would do in that time without SWF.

Underdog985

Smash Rookie
Same here....but only when i'm samus.. If I'm someone else i use c-stick in the air. I have absolutely no clue why though, i just realized that after reading yur post.

Geist

Smash Master
You can use the Cstick however you want; however it's easier to control your momentum in midair while attacking with the Cstick. In certain cases it's definetely better to use the cstick.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I really dislike dl64 against Fox. He can camp you to no end and moves around much better there than Samus can. It might be beneficial if you play as a patient Samus, but there's really not a good way for Samus to catch Fox there, and it doesn't really have any disadvantages for him.

As for an actual counter for him, it'd have to be one of the non-neutral stages, but I don't have much experience on them myself, but I'd suggest Brinstar or Old Kongo Jungle. Old Kongo Jungle for the reasons blowtoes said, although the tall outside platforms are good for Fox. But yeah, if you're good on that stage, the fact that he has few recovery options (since to make it up to the upper platforms he'll do his upB where you can missile him) might be enough to win the match. As for Brinstar, I just do it since it has acid and he's a FFer. :/

And I guess it has almost the same thing with his recovery, but you can't missile out from the stage, and there wouldn't be as much of a necessity for the Fox to be at missile-level either. (thinking out loud [text >_>])

Does anyone play on that stage much? I've CP'd it a few times but haven't figured out if it's actually a samus stage or not. I do remember the no missiles off of the sides from the ground being rather annoying, but that was when they were all I relied on for edgeguarding lol.

Cstick in the air is good for falling through platforms with a uair, then FFing it, since it's more difficult to do with the control stick, and getting a random jump while trying to fall through a platform isn't exactly desirable. But yeah, it's all preference and you're not missing out on much.

Geist

Smash Master
As for Brinstar, I just do it since it has acid and he's a FFer. :/

And I guess it has almost the same thing with his recovery, but you can't missile out from the stage, and there wouldn't be as much of a necessity for the Fox to be at missile-level either. (thinking out loud [text >_>])

Does anyone play on that stage much? I've CP'd it a few times but haven't figured out if it's actually a samus stage or not. I do remember the no missiles off of the sides from the ground being rather annoying, but that was when they were all I relied on for edgeguarding lol.
I don't really cp brinstar, I find it awkward. I don't see it giving any advantage to samus, unless the acid is at a low level. In that case you can recover from the bottom of the stage. If the acid is high, then no character really has to worry about recovering, because they'll need to be hit completely off the stage to lose their stock, so it gives samus a bit of a disadvantage. I just personally find it inconsistant.
The two sides of the stage don't get in the way that often, like you said, unless you're edgeguarding. They don't really pose a threat or an advantage (though I have a funny story - I fsmashed low to edgeguard falco once, and the destroyable tendon thing delayed my hitbox and I ended up hitting him when I probably wouldn't have, but that's not really reliable lol)

On the plus side, the extra damage can help alot with the matchup.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I don't really cp brinstar, I find it awkward. I don't see it giving any advantage to samus
Well, for one, you can hide behind those fleshy pillar things against Peach, Doc, Sheik, Falco, or anyone else spamming projectiles to give yourself a wall, but, obviously, the drawback is that you can't spam from there.

If the acid isn't up and you aren't going to make it back to the stage, you can usually stall long enough with Samus' recovery until it comes back. Ten points if you Smash DI it to go right back to the stage.

Uh... I guess breaking the stage in 2 could be advantageous... somehow...

The biggest problem would be when you need to control that top platform during the acid flood. So... yeah...

But, I don't really like the stage that much. The coolest thing you can do is let go of one edge and go under the stage and grab onto the other fairly easy (if I remember correctly). Then again, that's dependent on the acid being low.

Geist

Smash Master
Well, for one, you can hide behind those fleshy pillar things against Peach, Doc, Sheik, Falco, or anyone else spamming projectiles to give yourself a wall, but, obviously, the drawback is that you can't spam from there.

If the acid isn't up and you aren't going to make it back to the stage, you can usually stall long enough with Samus' recovery until it comes back. Ten points if you Smash DI it to go right back to the stage.
Well those things can provide an advantage, but they work in reverse as well. anyone else can hide behind the pillars as well, and the acid can help anyone else too.
I guess Samus's advantage would be that she can stall untill the acid comes up. Jiggly might be able to, but the acid kills her lol

Corigames

Smash Hero
Technically Samus has the Varia suit which should allow her to not take damage from acid, and, to all the people out there who use the gravity suit, she shouldn't take lava damage with the gravity suit.

Corigames

Smash Hero
+ speed booster + the stacked arm cannon beam + rapid fire for missiles and the beams + powerbombs + infinite wall jumps + reserve... tanks...? (don't ask me how they would work)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
ICE BEAM <3 I have only played Fusion and Metroid Prime. :[

Lol the speed booster. Wouldn't you need some space to run first? (I haven't played super metriod yet)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yes, a bit of room, but Samus also runs a lot faster in Super Metroid than in other iterations (there's actually a "sprint" button you press). If you wanted to get REAL specific, you can go by the dynamics of the game where it is possible to activate the speed booster in only a couple of inches on the screen through proper timing.

duals

Smash Journeyman
then what would she do when she gets the smash ball? Big fack beam and turn into zero suit??? how would zero suit play if shes such **** with her armor on?

1. You don't have to care about spam to report it. I don't want this thread to be plagued with random insults, stupid conversations, and salted with off topic discussion.

2. I'm trying to become a moderator. How can I do that and then turn around and allow spam to riddle our thread? I don't have a double standard.

3. What did you even plan on doing with that post? Back up your good buddy over there? Try to make me feel bad with an half ***** insult over the internet?

Do you not think I know what a troll is? I'm not going to caps lock yell at you. I'm not going to find a picture and try to make a witty remark. I'm just going to report you, tell you I'm reporting you, and ask you why you did it.
Just a word of advice... but being a moderator + that attitude... won't really work...

You gotta be more understanding and mature about things than that, I'd say. :/
And let that be a lesson to everyone else. Mods are biased. You get infractions for making fun of actual people, you get banned for making fun of mods.
The Mods I know wouldn't do that... >_>
though, they are on a different forum kind of... but moderating is a universal thing pretty much i'd say...
God dammit...

...I ****ing hate altf4. This is about the 5th times he's given me an infraction for no reason whatsoever. It's useless stuff like this that is probably keeping me from getting moderator status for this board and it angers me to no extent. On that very same page there are two people flaming each other and one person with just a bunch of pictures and text saying, "Just testing." I was trying to be the voice of reason on the ****ing page and low and behold I am the one who gets the infraction.

So, if you are wondering why we don't have a moderator for this board, you may look no further than bias current moderators keeping me down.

Sorry to break it to you, but I don't think you'd be becoming a mod anytime soon... change some things around maybe and you got a chance... but yeah.

I don't really have anyone to play,
Make a trip up here to b-ham - teddy, dan, wes and i are always up for some matches :)

screw teddy in trying to push his brawl philosophies on us :p

ICE BEAM <3 I have only played Fusion and Metroid Prime. :[
So you know of the missile+charged ice beam move in prime.

a.k.a. if-that-move-were-in-smash-it'd-destroy-everything-forever

just shoot it once, freeze everything on the entire stage, and have at it.

Samus + Smash Ball = Hyper Mode
not a bad idea... would rather have the plasma beam though - just melt everything. marth's sword, falco's laser gun, falcon's knee, fox fur...

Alukard

Smash Hero
i recorded matches with my samus ... i'm going to recieve them later this weekend =]

i can't quit this b*tch she is too much fun lolol

so yea i'mmmmmm baaaaaaack !!!! =]

rhan

Smash Hero
Nothing beats the Phazon beam. I'm sorry. I just effing love that beam. My second fave has to be the Wave Beam. I dont even know. Something just has me go ADHD and I just watch the shot go of in the distance.

Wow this has gotten some-what off topic hasn't it? lol

Edit: I wanna finally see your Samus! Get the vids posted this weekend please! :3

Alukard

Smash Hero
Nothing beats the Phazon beam. I'm sorry. I just effing love that beam. My second fave has to be the Wave Beam. I dont even know. Something just has me go ADHD and I just watch the shot go of in the distance.

Wow this has gotten some-what off topic hasn't it? lol

Edit: I wanna finally see your Samus! Get the vids posted this weekend please! :3
i have a couple of vids posted ... against scar lol

u can see them in this thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203381

the vids i'm going to be putting up later are of my samus in doubles =] awesome team combos and stuff =]

Alukard

Smash Hero
awwww still no m2k footage Alukard?
:[
no not yet ... i was away for the weekend ... i'm going to get the footage today i hope i can up load ... also im going to b playing with jman DJN and G$$ =]

so yea i'll talk to u peeps later ... also ... corey ... get ur *** to a tourney ... i'm like ... dying to see u play someone real lmfao ^_^

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Practicing on Level 7's for "application" doesn't seem to work. I get stuck on these combo-starters like a fullhopped d-air that ALWAYS trick the computer but obviously won't work on a good opponent. What should I do about that?

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Practicing on Level 7's for "application" doesn't seem to work. I get stuck on these combo-starters like a fullhopped d-air that ALWAYS trick the computer but obviously won't work on a good opponent. What should I do about that?
Play real people, only way to get very good at all, especially with Samus, since she can't just overwhelm people with technical stuff. You live in Cali, finding people to play shouldn't be a problem (mild jealousy).

Corigames

Smash Hero
Hey, just got back from a tourny in South Virginia. I'll update the thread with my new findings, ideas, and suggestions in the next few days so, keep your heads up.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Hey, just got back from a tourny in South Virginia. I'll update the thread with my new findings, ideas, and suggestions in the next few days so, keep your heads up.
wow as soon as i post that i want to see some **** ... u post that u just returned from a tourney lmfao great i guess lol

Top Bottom