• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~~ Into the Fray: A Snake Survival Guide ~~

ThAtMoos3Guy

Smash Cadet
Great guide! I really like the pictures, they do a great job of explaining the text.

One interesting thing you might want to add is that if you short hop and immediately perform the Uair the lag will be canceled. However, I'm not really sure of a good application for this yet.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Great guide! I really like the pictures, they do a great job of explaining the text.

One interesting thing you might want to add is that if you short hop and immediately perform the Uair the lag will be canceled. However, I'm not really sure of a good application for this yet.
Follow up with up tilts or maybe mortar at low percent...or ...dare I say it...a c4-stick o.O??

Hehe maybe.

Deadlypudding

Smash Cadet
I think I've noticed this before, that is if you are saying there is not backflip standing animation, then yes I've done this before and can vouch for it.

On the subject of U-air and its backflip landing animation, it actually does damage if you do it right next to your opponent. The damage actually comes from the initial U-air input. Might be a suprise to opponents, idk.

Great guide, Abit_rusty! I have some training data on damge percents for each move if your interested. And to add to the thing about bair doing more damage at certain areas of Snake's body, I found that is generally true. In training his feet do 10%, his knees do 14%, and body does 16%. It might also be affected by duration of the attack, meaning if done quickly, there is more damage than if done later in the attack. I'd have to experiment more.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Rusty u try too hard...and we thank u for that :p

for the love of god why isnt this stickied??

*rates thread 5 stars*

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
Excellent guide Rusty.

The set-up and information are top-notch. Nice job. =)

Eddy 650

Smash Rookie
wow this guide keeps on getting better and better! i will keep checking back forsure!

L 17

Smash Apprentice
With the seemingly endless amount of advice you've given to everybody, I expected something like this to be made soon. This guide is by far the best snake guide I've seen yet. The most helpful piece of information for me was the down c-stick/up-z method of no-contact mortar sliding, which I was previously unable to do. Now it seems a bit TOO easy!

OpTiMuS.RhYmE

Smash Rookie
O my...I saw a link to this on AiB and I had to come out of lurking jus to express my gratitude for abit-rusty's efforts....jesus.. I surely wouldnt have the patience to take all those pics and bin2jpeg and rehost each and every one...not to mention make a frickin nicely structured guide out of it all...

I main fox with snake a close 2nd but ill be ****ed if this doesnt make me change my mains...:dizzy::laugh:

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Updated with a few misc stuff like M2K's awesome dthrow->dair addition and Cecilanius's pretty incredible dthrow chain grab contribution.

So in conclusion...dthrow is too good lol.

I appreciate all the good feedback from everyone. Thanks.

ThAtMoos3Guy

Smash Cadet
Not sure how important this is, but I was curious so I timed how long it takes a grenade to blow up from when you pull one out. I timed it three times and got 3.22, 3.20 and 3.22. Just something to think about when you've got that nade cooking.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Not sure how important this is, but I was curious so I timed how long it takes a grenade to blow up from when you pull one out. I timed it three times and got 3.22, 3.20 and 3.22. Just something to think about when you've got that nade cooking.
Haha I was thinking of mentioning that because I too timed it while making the guide. I got a range from 3.11-3.20ish..so maybe it's around 3 seconds? Weird thing is I've always counted to 4-mississipi in my head when cooking, and I always thought it was 5 seconds. So I ended up figuring cooking nades is different for everyone and the actual time probably doesn't matter if you've got your own method.

the5souls

Smash Cadet
Excellent guide! I have been waiting for a Snake guide to polish up Snake players everywhere!

Hmm. I guess since I haven't seen this on the Snake forums, here is my 10 cents! :laugh:

I have found (hopefully for the first time) this great edge-guarding technique with C4!

While hanging from a ledge of a stage (let's use Yoshi's stage as an example), you can let go of the ledge and jump up. While jumping up, you can C4 stick the wall! Not only is it great for edge-guarding, it is very very very well hidden (unless your opponent noticed...).

After a bit of practice, you can sticky without the C4 falling down. Then you sticky at different heights and leave nice presents for tetherers, or people who stall on the edge, or get rid of that annoying edge-hogger.

And I guess it depends what stage you play on. Obviously, a place like Delfino Plaza won't be that great of a place, since the stage moves constantly.

Thanks for the great thread, and thanks for reading. And my early sorries if this is old news.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Excellent guide! I have been waiting for a Snake guide to polish up Snake players everywhere!

Hmm. I guess since I haven't seen this on the Snake forums, here is my 10 cents! :laugh:

I have found (hopefully for the first time) this great edge-guarding technique with C4!

While hanging from a ledge of a stage (let's use Yoshi's stage as an example), you can let go of the ledge and jump up. While jumping up, you can C4 stick the wall! Not only is it great for edge-guarding, it is very very very well hidden (unless your opponent noticed...).

After a bit of practice, you can sticky without the C4 falling down. Then you sticky at different heights and leave nice presents for tetherers, or people who stall on the edge, or get rid of that annoying edge-hogger.

And I guess it depends what stage you play on. Obviously, a place like Delfino Plaza won't be that great of a place, since the stage moves constantly.

Thanks for the great thread, and thanks for reading. And my early sorries if this is old news.
Umm ya unfortunatley its been mentioned. Panda had his own thread bout it...got bumped to the 2nd page of the forum tho..

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163159

I think the reason why it didnt get too much attention, in my humble opinion, is that it kinda puts u in a risky postion. Snake is easily gimp-able from above, and you're already intentionally making yourself fall on the edge, use up your 2nd jump, and up+b as you fall below the stage. Setting this up takes time, prolly enough time for the opponent to recover and/or be ready to gimp u. NOT sayin this technique is bad, it's pretty cool and props for figuring it out on your own, just that as for me, I'd rather play it safe.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662

Well thank you. Yes, like Stoleurcar said, Samuraipanda has mentioned this, but thanks for sharing too. Actually I pm'ed Panda asking permission to add this tech to this guide, and possibly consider this guide for a sticky, but I haven't gotten an answer since >.>

3xSwords

Smash Lord
*sticky*
pics make everything awesome
awesome guide esp. since I'm trying to find a secondary and good guides like these just are not on most of the other forums so its a pain in the a$$ to find out info on other characters
so this is really convenient and great

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
lolz i finally pulled off a mortar grab today (2 actually) agains my friend..he was so like *wtf impressed* lmao. Finally able to do all the techs in this guide :D ty rusty. my snake is a bajillion times better. /exaggeration...maybe... ;)

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Hey abit_rusty, here's some of my grenade strats if you happen to be interested. These mostly are about edge guarding.

- you can drop a grenade by the edge, roll back and drop a second. Watch what your opponent does and hit him with an aerial, u.smash, or u.tilt if he jumps.

- from a safe distance, "cook" a grenade then throw at your recovering opponent. Use grenade stripping to make it drop with more accuracy.

- drop a grenade, catch it, then edgehog. The invincibility frames you get from grabbing the edge protect you from the explosion. I call it explosive edge hog, hahaha.

- drop a grenade by the edge, catch it, then throw it down. Roll back and drop another. Rinse and repeat while mixing it with tilts and u.smashes in between.

Did I mention the fact that I love grenades??

UltraKyu

Smash Cadet
Rly nice guide with awesome illustrations.

This will help ppl to understand how to play Snake more effectively or to develope strategies to play against him.

cya

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
- drop a grenade by the edge, catch it, then throw it down. Roll back and drop another. Rinse and repeat while mixing it with tilts and u.smashes in between.
Why do I get this image of Rolento's super from CvS2 in my head reading this statement? xD

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Hey abit_rusty, here's some of my grenade strats if you happen to be interested. These mostly are about edge guarding.
Ah thanks, expanding on the nade section ..good stuff.. I'll be sure to credit you.

Why do I get this image of Rolento's super from CvS2 in my head reading this statement? xD
Hmm Snake lacks the chest belt riddled with nades >.> lmao.

Sodapop

Smash Apprentice
A funny thing to do in a Stamina Brawl with more than two enemies is plant a C4 on the first enemy thats KO'D. (Unless its you) Your friend wont be able to see the C4 on the opponent, and unless he's got a good memory, an explosive KO is in his wake.....

If this has already been posted, sorry.

Commander_Flint

Smash Cadet
I have two more uses for the c4.

1(A bit hard....based on the Down Throw Chaingrab)- If they roll away from you, follow them and place a c4 on them. Course they can also stick it back on you, so that's a bit hard.

2(Only in doubles, a bit lol cheap)- Place a c4 on your teammate, after that your teammate has got a lot of options:

1)Run into someone, thus passing it onto an opponent. (Great for characters like Sonic or Fox)
2)Detonate it when your ally, is close to your opponent(s). Usually if they have your ally in a grab(Ice Climbers! :0)
3)Give your ally an extra recovery. Detonate it, so they can "use" the c4 bomb jump.

Course I only recommend doing this at low percents. You can kind od do that with a grenade, but I think it's less helpful.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I have two more uses for the c4.

1(A bit hard....based on the Down Throw Chaingrab)- If they roll away from you, follow them and place a c4 on them. Course they can also stick it back on you, so that's a bit hard.

2(Only in doubles, a bit lol cheap)- Place a c4 on your teammate, after that your teammate has got a lot of options:

1)Run into someone, thus passing it onto an opponent. (Great for characters like Sonic or Fox)
2)Detonate it when your ally, is close to your opponent(s). Usually if they have your ally in a grab(Ice Climbers! :0)
3)Give your ally an extra recovery. Detonate it, so they can "use" the c4 bomb jump.

Course I only recommend doing this at low percents. You can kind od do that with a grenade, but I think it's less helpful.
Snake 101 imo. Discovered in jp release, sage, etc...

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I've been poking around with this grenade trick for a bit and I don't have a name for it nor did I see anyone post anything identical to it. Here's how it works.
When you grab a shield-dropped grenade, you are free to dodge on the ground or in the air. If your timing is right, you can air dodge just before the explosion and avoid all damage. Meanwhile, anyone behind you gets blasted. This is a bit tricky to get down because you have to know the exact amunt of time you have before the grenade explodes and you have to air dodge almost perfectly. It's situational and I don't think this will get used much in high level play, but this is good to know.
*This cannot be executed with the sidestep dodge.*

Top Bottom