• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interview thread: Will! (Last complete update: Cyphus)

D0N

Smash Ace
Alright ook, thanks for your cooperation. Ill update the front page soon, complete with a pretty picture.

Moving right along since they were pretty even in votes, we now have Ripple the Beast! Ask Away!

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Ripple's up next? Good stuff.

How did you come up with the tag "Ripple"?

Do you ever plan on quitting DK?

What do you like most about Donkey Kong?

ook

Smash Lord
Alright :) thanks for the interview

to Ripple:

Where do you think DK should be on the tier list?

What's your favorite counterpick stage and neutral stage, and why?

Have you tried DK's Jungle Juice energy drink?

What bet did you lose that made you change your name to Sparkle Motion?

When will you start coming to Chicago more often?

Boxers or briefs?

D0N

Smash Ace
Are you ever gonna make another DK community combo vid?

What is your most memorable match?

How often do you play?

How did your first smash tourney (ever) go?

Who is your favorite character to play against? (Doesn't have to be a good matchup)

How did you end up playing smash competetivly?

In what way would you say you are most similar to DK?

daisho

Smash Lord
How do you cope with not being the best DK in your region? (I need help with that :( )

Do you like melee DK or Brawl DK better?

Do you consistently make money off Smash?

What is your favorite matchup?

What is your least favorite matchup?

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever actually meteored someone to their doom using headbutt?

What kind of cereal do you like in the morning?

Don'tcha just love hitting people with fair?

ardirok

Smash Apprentice
Do you want to make a new DK combo video?

Do you like to punch others players in the face with giant punch?

Who is your favorite kong(excluding DK)?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ripple's up next? Good stuff.

How did you come up with the tag "Ripple"?

Do you ever plan on quitting DK?

What do you like most about Donkey Kong?

1. My name actually comes from when I played magic the gathering: the card game. It was one of the abilities that some of the cards had. Even though it was one of the worst abilities in the game, I found it interesting.

2. I've actually thought about this for the longest time. I love DK and everything about him but I absolutely hate how King Dedede is an impossible match up for him. I've tried picking up other characters as a second but none of them feel the same way as my DK. So I guess after a year and a half of just going DK at tournaments, I'll continue that from now on.

NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!

3. The thing I like most about DK is actually when he bairs someone, I realized he palm thrusts them.

Alright :) thanks for the interview

to Ripple:

Where do you think DK should be on the tier list?

What's your favorite counterpick stage and neutral stage, and why?

Have you tried DK's Jungle Juice energy drink?

What bet did you lose that made you change your name to Sparkle Motion?

When will you start coming to Chicago more often?

Boxers or briefs?

1. Even though DK is a monster he should be around 15th

2. Favorite CP is definitely frigate just because if I knock them off the right side I can basically get a charged smash off on them. and favorite neutral is smashville just because I seem to do best on there

3. No, I haven't. I don't drink energy drinks

4. It was with my girlfriend, I bet she couldn't guess the surprise I had for her, but she did because one of her friends told her.

5. Never, not driving 4 hours for a small touney. if it ever thought to be above 20 entrants then I might come down

6. Boxers for sure

Are you ever gonna make another DK community combo vid?

What is your most memorable match?

How often do you play?

How did your first smash tourney (ever) go?

Who is your favorite character to play against? (Doesn't have to be a good matchup)

How did you end up playing smash competetivly?

In what way would you say you are most similar to DK?

1. Yes but I have no plans for a release date yet.

2. not often enough, not more than once a month, whether that be friendly or tournament

3. my first melee tournament was in 2005 at an MLG even t in chicago, I actually got to play korean DJ and azen, but unfortuanely I didn't make it to pro bracket because I lost to wife. My first brawl tournament was a circuit event that I got 4th at. out placing lain, and only losy to tink, OS, and chewyy

4. G&W because I can DI through bair/nair everytime. UTD zac actually got me up to 270% because he couldn't nair > d smash me properly. he tried killing me with up throw after 250% , it was funny

5. my friends were all playing halo at the time but I was the worst at it. so I noticed melee was on the circuit and started playing that. rest is history

6. I'm 6'6". people say I'm a monster

How do you cope with not being the best DK in your region? (I need help with that :( )

Do you like melee DK or Brawl DK better?

Do you consistently make money off Smash?

What is your favorite matchup?

What is your least favorite matchup?
1. its fine, OOk is better dittos for sure but I'm probably better than him in some match ups.

2. no, I lose money a lot. I only win money when people $mm me, or if its a local.

3. favorite match up is G&W

4. least favorite is olimar besides ddd

Have you ever actually meteored someone to their doom using headbutt?

What kind of cereal do you like in the morning?

Don'tcha just love hitting people with fair?
1.yep, at my last tourney I spiked ook that way

2. lucky charms

3. who doesn't?

Do you want to make a new DK combo video?

Do you like to punch others players in the face with giant punch?

Who is your favorite kong(excluding DK)?

1. see above

2. in real life? who doesn't?

3. lanky

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Do you like melee DK or brawl DK better? (did you just ignore this on purpose the first time?)
I actually missed it.

I prefer melee DK than brawl DK. I just like speed and combos more than what brawl DK has to offer.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
For a second I thought Ripple was asking himself questions because of the mew avatar. XD

everyone took my avatar after a while, I think that SWF actually incorporated it when they updated profile pics last time.

D0N

Smash Ace
Alright, here's me playing the part of the head interviewer...

1.Blondes, brunnetts, or redheads?

2.What is the best advice you could give the average DK player?

3.What was your greatest victory?

4.What move would you change or add to DK?

5.What is DKs most underated move?

6.How do you deal with camping? Are you good at dealing with it?

7.How much do you feel you can improve your game with DK?

8.How do you prepare yourself mentally for tourneys and big matches?

9.How long is your smash career?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Alright, here's me playing the part of the head interviewer...

1.Blondes, brunnetts, or redheads?

2.What is the best advice you could give the average DK player?

3.What was your greatest victory?

4.What move would you change or add to DK?

5.What is DKs most underated move?

6.How do you deal with camping? Are you good at dealing with it?

7.How much do you feel you can improve your game with DK?

8.How do you prepare yourself mentally for tourneys and big matches?

9.How long is your smash career?

1. actually I've always been attracted to girls with black hair for some reason. but since my girlfriend is a redhead I might have to go with that.... :p

2. Hmmmmm..... I would have to say that they need to work on speed. DK can be played abnormally fast for his size and I believe that that is a very important factor for becoming a top level DK player. Don't always focus on DK's ground game even if it is probably one of the best in the game, take to the air, I'm probably one of the only DK's that prefers using DK's air game rather than his ground game.

3. well, honestly I don't have too many great acomplishments but I would say it would be beating domo at a tournament.

4. definitely going to change dash attack, even though it has its uses, its a terrible move. the damage it deals doesn't make up for it. add more invincibility frame to aerial up-b, because 4-6 doesn't make sense. should be 1-6. more SA frames on punch too, needs at least 3 more before the punch comes out

5. I would say F-smash. I don't see many DK players using this often at all. just ask ook, F-smash edgeguards better than any of DK's other attcks.

6. I can deal with camping but I'm not the best at getting in. I can deal with falco's lasers the best actually because I know how to punish them very heavily. I actually can not deal with toon link at all though

7. I don't know if I can improve my DK that much more actually. I feel my DK can't be played much faster, but I feel like the choices I make to punish could improve quite a bit. I just need to break out and get some confidence

8. I usually play the top level players that are there and that usually boosts my game because oddly enough, I beat them. In friendlies recently, I beat everyone that game to play me including UTD zac, Hylian, kos-mos, and bwett

9. My career has been around 4 years so far (mostly melee), but I don't know how much longer it'll last. 1 more year at least unless I still can't break out. but don't worry, I'll always be around

NatP

Smash Ace
I have a question. Let's say DK for some reason was banned (I know it makes no sense, just go with it), who else would you use?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I have a question. Let's say DK for some reason was banned (I know it makes no sense, just go with it), who else would you use?

I wouldn't be playing this game if DK wasn't in it. dedication right there :p

D0N

Smash Ace
Last chance to ask Ripple questions. Will update/move on soon.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
1. What's your favorite song from the Donkey Kong Country series?

2. What do you think they could change about DK in the next smash game?

3. Off the top of your head, can you name the species that each member of the DK crew belongs to?

4. Do you know of any DK tricks that not many other DK mains know about?

5. What's the best way to deal with Falco's laser/phantasm camping?

6. Who would win a tug of war, DK or Bowser?

D0N

Smash Ace
Alright everyone, Ripple is working on the last set of questions and when he is finished I will finish his update as well as post to let everyone know. Thanks for your time Ripple!

Were now moving onto one of our DK reps who has been destroying peoples pride for quite some time now on the east side, Cyphus! Ask away!

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
my beard was about 1.5 inches everywhere, and i planned on using my Jesus costume for halloween parties. However, for NO reason (brain fart?) i shaved it all off, got a haircut, and now i am sporting a goatee. (which i am personally not a fan of, but *sigh* the woman likes it)
i'll throw up a pic soon. (its probably good i didn't go jesus for halloween, because it was my friend's wedding and he's spanish....and that means they had alot of mexicans there..which means alot of strong catholics..and they probably would have killed me =]

daisho

Smash Lord
Why do you never come onto the boards anymore?

I recall you won a few tournaments a couple of months back, how are you doing now?

What are you favorite matchups? Least favorites?

Do you use secondaries? If so who?

Have you ever committed a felony? If so what?

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why do you never come onto the boards anymore?

I recall you won a few tournaments a couple of months back, how are you doing now?

What are you favorite matchups? Least favorites?

Do you use secondaries? If so who?

Have you ever committed a felony? If so what?
to be honest, i've had a hard time being social lately, because of some unfortunate events. i worked for dominos, but hydroplaned and totalled my car (which also means i lost my job as a driver). but moreso other stuff i'll just say is personal. I love the DK community, so its nothing personal. I hope to get back into it soon.

favorite matchups? would i be a **** if i said all the ones that i find easiest? lol
Lucario, Marth, Snake, are probably the 3 high tiers i'm most confident against. I go basically even vs Lee martin's lucario (so i dont expect to lose to anyone elses), and i have a good record vs all the marths and snakes around.

the tournament scene hasn't been as busy lately in LA, but its picking back up. the only other state i've gone to for brawl is TX. With tournaments and addition to just player matchups, i'm still 3rd in LA, but i haven't shown my potential in TX. I always know i could have placed better. (but i realize everything thinks that, so i no johns, bleh)

Least favorite. Unless i'm on-my-game, toon link can really get on my nerves. diddy and olimar can be really unfun if they play campy. oh god..i HATE fighting sonic. not that its hard..its just stupid.

My 2ndaries are Diddy, Fox, and Ice. if someone goes DDD i'm pretty sure i can beat them w/ any of those. Vs Olimar i would go Ice. (although its never happened yet).
As far as history, i've gone DK 99% the time. (my low tiers are lucas and mario)

Felony? Is it a felony if i dont get caught?

crifer

Smash Lord
your top3 favourite moves of dk?
approaching: air or ground? which against who?
what is your strategy against mk? how do you approach?

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
your top3 favourite moves of dk?
approaching: air or ground? which against who?
what is your strategy against mk? how do you approach?

giant punch, upair, d.tilt

thats a hard question. it depends on so much. against snake, you always want to stay grounded and abuse downB. In the air, i think UpAir is very much underrated and and amazing combo tool and mindgame when baiting it.

if at all possible, i donnot approach. always try to trade hits. its ok to miss moves on purpose occasionally if you jab out the lag instead of shieling, i think people will find it stopping MKs rushing in.

theres certain follow-ups from missed attacks that i find are useful:
f.tilt-jab (assuming f.tilt misses, alot of people run into the jab)
d.tilt-roll back (its a safe escape)
upair is great too when auto canceled, sometimes people run into immediate followups.

if he's defensive, fake like you're going to b.air then walk away sometimes. you have to make them aggressive so you can trade hits.
if you absolutely have to approach, get a giant punch, use tilts, running upB, and go for more grabs (since they are more likely to shield when you have a giant punch charged)
d.throw to f.tilt at low damage, and at mid damage mix up running upBs, and walk for a split second then wait to see if they tornado/upb/etc and punish.

against tornado i usually use backwards uptilt.
When in doubt, DI upwards.
his N.air out of shield is amazing, you're never safe too close (even behind him)
If you get d.throw. if you DI away, try to jab or roll immediately (if you have time). If you DI upwards airdodge behind him and get the hell away.
Armor Guarding can be useful vs his recovery if they dont understand it. always look to trade hits with it and every single other move. Its often times better than shielding.
Dont forget that UpAir can easily KO when fresh (and b.air!) otherwise, d.smash out of shield and creative giant punches are your best bet.
DK has one of the best recoveries in the game. If you DI his shuttleloop edgeguards upward, mix up your UpB approach (stalling in air) and reverse charge-cancel (to turn around) and b.air, DK should pretty much ALWAYS make it back. (unless you DI a d.air bad) Even against pro MKs, DK should not die before 150.
KEEP IN MIND what KO moves he has that are still fresh (d.smash? f.smash? UpB? N.air?) Whichever one is fresh, thats the only you need to be Most focused on not getting hit by.

D0N

Smash Ace
The update for Ripple is finished.

Heres my first set of Qs for Cyphus...

1. Can you remember your first tourney ever? How did it go?

2. What don't you like about DK?

3. What's the best advice you could give the average DK?

4. How did you become a part of the smash scene?

5. What's your most memorable loss?

6. Is D3 really THAT bad?

7. How often do you go for spikes?

8. Would you say Lee Martin is your rival? Have any other rivals?

9. You just lost to an average lucario in tourney 0-2. Lee Martin was watching. What do you do?

10. Tom or Jerry?

11. What is your favorite way to land a punch?

12. How often do grenades bother you in the snake match up? What do you do with them?

13. Many players say they don't know how to read their opponent properly or have trouble doing so. What do you look for when reading someone?

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
we'll blaze the 1st tourney we meet up ~_^

The update for Ripple is finished.

Heres my first set of Qs for Cyphus...

1. Can you remember your first tourney ever? How did it go?

The 2004 New Orleans Regionals V-games (melee). The V-games traveled around the country at 30 locations to find the best players in different games. I won 1st with Doc over Lee's Sheik and Jigglypuff. (i think 33 entrants) I was promised a plane trip to Los Angeles to compete in the nationals.
The V games was an elaborate hoax that took probably a few 10,000 dollars from entrance fees, and then said they had to quit doing tournaments because they had a potential law suit from X-games. (they set themselves up for that excuse) We would have done a group law suit, but in originally signing for hte tournament we agreed they had the right to cease and desist all operations.
so yea..at the time, i thought i was one of the best players in the country (while of course not) and then got slapped in the face by a moose ****. I dont know how far you guys go back in the melee scene, but by its last couple years before brawl, i was considered one of the best Doc players (probably 2nd to Bobmoney). :p

2. What don't you like about DK?

small shield. and lack of a good move when he's above someone.

3. What's the best advice you could give the average DK?

brawl is pretty much spacing. no matter how good you are, you can always learn to space better. also, UpAir more. its one of the best.

4. How did you become a part of the smash scene?
i started the smash scene in louisiana. i sought out players in smash 64, and when melee came out, me and lee jumped on it so hard. I was intentionally looking for a smash forum, and i found this. The site wasn't nearly as huge as it was before, but i read and participated and passed everything to lee. We were easily the best, and as we traveled to other tournaments in the state, we taught other players everything we knew. and eventually cultivated a very competitive smash scene.

5. What's your most memorable loss?
my first Brawl TX tournament. my 2nd oponent was Melee1 (iceclimbers). He had JUST one the TX tournament previously, but he's not the most popular guy. When people heard he was fighting me, a crowd grew. We had a bigger crowd than the grand finals.
I beat his iceclimbers on battle field. (favorite moment was was grabbing nana...cargo-jump-d.throw-dj-d.air, lol) the crowd was going nuts.
he then 2 stocked my kirby w/ mk on rainbow.
i CP'd Picto as DK vs his MK. and we each had 1 stock over 130%. and we could NOT kill each other. he both almost died like 5 times. I've never been more nerve-wrecked in a videogame in my life. it was just the first to make a mistake, and that was me, when i upB'd over the edge into a dsmash.
i probably have losses i'm much more proud of, but thats the first one that came to mind.

6. Is D3 really THAT bad?
if he didn't have chainthrow, DK should have an advantage. If you can beat a DDD, he's simply a worse player. My ego isn't that bad- that i need to fight ddds. i have 2ndaries for fights that dumb.

7. How often do you go for spikes?
not very often, DK has 3, but they're all slow. If someone gets spiked, its because they got cocking edgeguarding me (f.air), or it was a character whos just easy to edgeguard. i think from hanging on the edge, jump (not letting go) canceled backwards forwardB has untapped potential, since he might be invincible the whole way.

8. Would you say Lee Martin is your rival? Have any other rivals?
not anymore. I literally haven't played brawl half as much as lee, and he's clearly a better player. I like to pretend all you DKs are my rivals, actually.

9. You just lost to an average lucario in tourney 0-2. Lee Martin was watching. What do you do?
lmao. if that happened i'd probably say "i have no idea what just happened". i would be in disbelief at having no john.

10. Tom or Jerry?
tom. i feel bad for him. he's just being a cat. jerry is complete *** hat.

11. What is your favorite way to land a punch?
when i'm falling back to the ground, i charge backwards, they're rushing in, and i reverse 9 wind them in the face. i should make a list of all the players i've killed w/ that in tournament, lol

12. How often do grenades bother you in the snake match up? What do you do with them?
they dont bother me at all. DownB really is DK's prayer answered. i dont ever grab them. i just pretend they're not there and rush in often. Usually snake enjoys sharing exploding with people, but its not a good idea w/ dk.

13. Many players say they don't know how to read their opponent properly or have trouble doing so. What do you look for when reading someone?

i see players get frustrated they keep losing in these tiny mind games, determined to come out on top. Not every situation is 50/50 fair. Sometimes characters have spacing or frame advantages. If you an avoid those gambles, dont do them. Play safer, never show mercy, and you will control the fight. personally, i have alot of work to do myself with those.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i first noticed my flexibility when i was joined taekwondo ( i think i was around 9?) i noticed i was just way more flexible than all the other kids who had been in it much longer. doing stretches all the time only made me more flexible, and the found if i just relaxed all the muscles around my joints, i could pull them out a lil. i became a sideshow attraction in school. the 'freak' around the playground. it got me alot of attention, but still not respect.
at a melee national tournament (FC3) in indiana, someone recorded my contortioning and put it on ebaumsworld.com. i was not informed of this, but a friend, who frequented the site, calledm e up and said someone who looked just like me was doing my stuff. it was me. after doing extensive searching, i found who did it. they made 200 bucks off my talent, so to compensate they gave me 100.
some time later, the magician David Blaine (who went to the site too), saw my vid and was intrigued. he was going to be in new orleans and got my contact info through the site. i met up with him and spent the whole day w/ him, a couple friends, and was more or less his tour-buddy to experience the post-Katrina damage. he said he wanted to make a video for a reliefHe told me he was going to fly me to NewYork to perform (with other unique talents) before his own feat.
After I returned home, he never contacted me again. I thought i had finally got my big break (maybe i would get recognized out there since i'd be on TV). but for whatever reason, only his secretaries would respond to me, and gave me the run around about him being busy training for his next stunt. i had such high aspirations thanks to him, but he let me down. and not out of anger, i can honestly say, the man probably has an IQ of 70. i have quite a few stories of him being really ******** that one day.
since then i just do my contorting casually to entertain friends-of-friends. i feel my body getting a lil old for it anyway.

original vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQPq4tVy4qQ&feature=related

D0N

Smash Ace
Alright I wont be on for a few days probobly, so fyi last 2-3days to ask Cyphus questions.

I only have 3 more questions:

1. How long is your smash career so far.

2. What was the funniest moment you've had involving smash

3. If you can think of any, what bad habits do you see with some DK's? (no names)

crifer

Smash Lord
so who would you say are the top3 most underrated chars in the game?
what´s your personal bad match-up or are you afraid of any character?

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
1. How Long Is Your Smash Career So Far.
6 Years Of Tournaments.

2. What Was The Funniest Moment You've Had Involving Smash
Gah, I Wish I Had Some Kinna Answer :/ My Mind Is Blank

3. If You Can Think Of Any, What Bad Habits Do You See With Some Dk's? (no Names)
Unnecessary Airdodges, I Guess. I Think A Prob Is Just Not Using All His Moves To Their Potential (jab, Upair, Uptilt, D.tilt, And (smart) Smash Attacks.

So Who Would You Say Are The Top3 Most Underrated Chars In The Game?
Pit, Peach, Toon Link I Think

What´s Your Personal Bad Match-up Or Are You Afraid Of Any Character?
I'm Afraid Of Pro Olimars. (that And Ddd, But Thats What My Ice Are For). Diddy Is Scarey Too.
: o

Top Bottom