• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

interesting thread....

istudying

Smash Lord
I know that Climbers are S Tier Material but i don't want them up there because people will call them broken and try to ban them. + More people will play Climbers and they will look bad.

Just some thoughts.

D

Deleted member

I know that Climbers are S Tier Material but i don't want them up there because people will call them broken and try to ban them. + More people will play Climbers and they will look bad.

Just some thoughts.

I feel the exact same way :( I chose ice climbers to be more unique,and I dont want everyone learning ICs if they get too high on the list. Hopefully their incredibly steep learning curve sways people away from learning them.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I'm pretty amused by how this is all going. A year before, people just thought the Ice Climber CG's were just gimmicky and easy to avoid. Now, thanks to all of the Ice Climber professionals, everyone is really afraid of them. I think Ice Climbers are one of the few characters that show that hard work really goes a long way even with the ever so steep learning curve.

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
Im then wondering how the **** i almost took down holy missing all my cgs at bisb in a 7-3 matchups by ics boards standards. I mean, your telling me that i almost beat someone who got 13th at apex in a 7-3 matchup with a character where i cant use their defining trait?

I never post. I live in Argentina. Tourneys are extremely rare here, so I have almost no personal experience or anything but IC's videos to back up my personal opinions. I registered only a few months ago, even though I'm here almost since Brawl came out.

I always read your posts swordgard, I do not often agree with you 100%, but that's OK, cause as I said earlier, I'm no one here to say anything comparing me with top players.

However, this time I really feel like posting because I'm certain that you are wrong. First of all, Falco is not that high in the tier list nor he is overrated most due to his chaingrab. Sure, his cg really helps, but also his playstyle matches perfectly with the defensive way brawl is supposed to be played (this is just my opinion). He has really really REALLY great moves (not an opinion). His jab is one of the little things in brawl that puts you in an andvantage. I could talk about his laser, ftilt, shine, nair, etc

But the reason I wanted to post, is to say something that I supposed that meep, lain or hylian were going to say but they didn't (or at least I missed it)
You didn't "almost beat" holy without the chaingrab. It's not *just* the fact of ACTUALLY SCORING a chaingrab that makes the IC's great. It's the fact of *what you force your enemy to do* in order to escape your chaingrab chance.

When I play a tourney, and I find myself vs another ICs and I'm either falco or single popo, I have a fear that I do not have vs other character, I FEAR THEIR SHIELD. I don't know how to explain my point tecnically, but it seems that whenever the ICs shield, it's like they are "breaking" the rock-paper-scisors-lizard-spock of this game (I mean the grab, shield, attack, sidestep and do nothing thing) because of two things: first of all, they are 2 of them, so you can be punished if you dont react fast or do a throw that leaves an opening for the other IC to use, eg. if you are pikachu and grab fast and do a really quick bthrow then you are doing it right (sry lain for using anther's example) And second, because if you miss and they grab you first, YOU ARE DEAD (in theory).

This is were, In my opinion, 70% of the Ice climber's potential comes from. Not just DOING the cg, but the fact of HAVING IT, therefore making your opponent discard lots of possible actions due to the not necessarily high chance of getting grabbed.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I never post. I live in Argentina. Tourneys are extremely rare here, so I have almost no personal experience or anything but IC's videos to back up my personal opinions. I registered only a few months ago, even though I'm here almost since Brawl came out.

I always read your posts swordgard, I do not often agree with you 100%, but that's OK, cause as I said earlier, I'm no one here to say anything comparing me with top players.

However, this time I really feel like posting because I'm certain that you are wrong. First of all, Falco is not that high in the tier list nor he is overrated most due to his chaingrab. Sure, his cg really helps, but also his playstyle matches perfectly with the defensive way brawl is supposed to be played (this is just my opinion). He has really really REALLY great moves (not an opinion). His jab is one of the little things in brawl that puts you in an andvantage. I could talk about his laser, ftilt, shine, nair, etc

But the reason I wanted to post, is to say something that I supposed that meep, lain or hylian were going to say but they didn't (or at least I missed it)
You didn't "almost beat" holy without the chaingrab. It's not *just* the fact of ACTUALLY SCORING a chaingrab that makes the IC's great. It's the fact of *what you force your enemy to do* in order to escape your chaingrab chance.

When I play a tourney, and I find myself vs another ICs and I'm either falco or single popo, I have a fear that I do not have vs other character, I FEAR THEIR SHIELD. I don't know how to explain my point tecnically, but it seems that whenever the ICs shield, it's like they are "breaking" the rock-paper-scisors-lizard-spock of this game (I mean the grab, shield, attack, sidestep and do nothing thing) because of two things: first of all, they are 2 of them, so you can be punished if you dont react fast or do a throw that leaves an opening for the other IC to use, eg. if you are pikachu and grab fast and do a really quick bthrow then you are doing it right (sry lain for using anther's example) And second, because if you miss and they grab you first, YOU ARE DEAD (in theory).

This is were, In my opinion, 70% of the Ice climber's potential comes from. Not just DOING the cg, but the fact of HAVING IT, therefore making your opponent discard lots of possible actions due to the not necessarily high chance of getting grabbed.

Oh im gonna agree there most certainly, any character that forces you to look for something and reduces your option is necessarly ****.

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
I never said ****, I never wanted sarcasm. What I'm talking about is that it's not just "look for something" . It's not the same as watching out for pit's arrows. I found that IC do really well vs mk due to this, they cannot use ftilt or short hop fair often because of this, because of the fact that we HAVE the chaingrab. Not because we are using it on that instant. That's completely different from just "looking for something" You are ****ing looking to avoid a shield that you cannot attack, cannot 100% grab all the time without getting punished, and if you get grabbed by that shield, you loose a stock.

It's not just looking for something. And it's not ****.

Nvm this discussion, I just wanted to make my point, perhaps I'm wrong, even though I'm almost 100% certain that this is true.

Thx for the answer

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Meep I'm trying my hardest to catch up to you, lol

And to anyone who's saying Iceclimbers aren't S-Tier based on their own personal experience with certain match ups, trust me, that's bad logic.

At one point I thought that Iceclimbers had no chance against MK. Then I saw Meep destroying a good MK.

It's nice to have a someone who's better with the character you're trying to main in your region :chuckle:

BTW I'm not 100% convinced yet Meep. But by the way your playing it I might be convinced soon :)

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I really don't think the IC's are S tier. They get CP'd ALOT harder than anyone else in the game. Nana has lvl -4 recovery skils. I do think they are great characters. But not as highly as most of you make them seem. Kinda reminds me of how the Marth boards were. They tweaked pretty much every matchup to make it seem as if it were in there favor, or atleast even.

meepxzero

Smash Master
marth boards were completely different because he was a character at the start of brawl that had an option for everything anyone did (I use to be one of the top marth main at the start of brawl). Now metaknight has taken over that realm and marth has kinda become the shadow of mk.

Ic is completely different. You have like two professional IC mains that place really high with them and are pretty much at the top of the ic metagame. We may have a huge novelty effect because no one knows how to properly fight ic, but they definitely are in the same realm as DDD, falco, wario, diddy.

Like fighting against mk the way you have to adapt a more defensive style or youll get destroyed. Ic is almost to the same degree but even more threatening in the right hands. Any character that does that in my book are the best chars snake, mk, diddy all do that (sorry i really dont think wario is up there with those 3). We limit options because if they land anywhere near us its a free stock. Even mk who has all the options in the world is limited when fighting ic.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm progressing at amazing rates :).

I'm slowing down my chaingrab practice, because I pretty much 0-death every single character now. I practice against random and I'm getting incredibly consistent.

And this isn't like where I was just trying to scare people before cot4 to banning stupid stages against me when I didn't even play the character seriously lol I'm really getting consistent as **** :).

I really hope I'm up to par with Lain by genesis. I've been working a ton on my IC's and I would be disappointed if I wasn't.

Roller

Smash Legend
Ic is completely different. You have like two professional IC mains that place really high with them and are pretty much at the top of the ic metagame. We may have a huge novelty effect because no one knows how to properly fight ic, but they definitely are in the same realm as DDD, falco, wario, diddy.

Like fighting against mk the way you have to adapt a more defensive style or youll get destroyed. Ic is almost to the same degree but even more threatening in the right hands. Any character that does that in my book are the best chars snake, mk, diddy all do that (sorry i really dont think wario is up there with those 3). We limit options because if they land anywhere near us its a free stock. Even mk who has all the options in the world is limited when fighting ic.

^^^^ That.
I agree. On everything stated there. (including the wario comment)

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Yeah this was a really good post by meep :)

Gaspas post was also right ^^

And swordgard is right that you have to believe in your character's strengths ^^

And cool that my thread "created" this topic here :D

ICs ftw :p

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Uhhh noooooo!!!!!!

ICs cannot reach S tier. Heck no, I'm gonna feel like such a ***** using them if that happens.

I mean WTF, all my characters are rising :laugh:.

Ahh to hell with this, I can't fight it anymore. *Hugs ICs*

I'll stick to them no matter what. Gotta give it my all with Sonic still :3.

Top Bottom