• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I've been told my whole life that I'm gifted, but after I took an IQ test, I found out I was only "Significantly above average".

That put a damper on my day. Especially since my friend got "gifted" status.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
That's a 7 degree difference, but it's all it took to win. I get a medal, right? Right? I mean, medals are the only way to show how much pwnage I have(even If I copied that info off my brother's science report, but hey, it's his account anyway).

@Hydro Kirby: depends, there's age level IQ and just overall IQ. The IQ for my age(meaning everyone my age average is converted into 100) is 144, which means at college level it will be somewhere in the 150's. Coincidently my brother and two sisters have almost as identical IQ. Bragging ftw

O- blood can be used by anyone, because of no 'markers'.
AB- is the rarest blood type
Though there are only 8(edit) blood types, when getting an organ you must match someone on a higher level than just their blood type. This is why AB- doaners are the most sought-after.

Miharu

Smash Hero
That's a 7 degree difference, but it's all it took to win. I get a medal, right? Right? I mean, medals are the only way to show how much pwnage I have(even If I copied that info off my brother's science report, but hey, it's his account anyway).

@Hydro Kirby: depends, there's age level IQ and just overall IQ. The IQ for my age(meaning everyone my age average is converted into 100) is 144, which means at college level it will be somewhere in the 150's. Coincidently my brother and two sisters have almost as identical IQ. Bragging ftw

O- blood can be used by anyone, because of no 'markers'.
AB- is the rarest blood type
Though there are only 8(edit) blood types, when getting an organ you must match someone on a higher level than just their blood type. This is why AB- doaners are the most sought-after.
If that's the case, O- should be most sought after, because whereas people with the AB- typing can still use blood that is A-/B-/AB-/O-, those with the O- blood type can only accept O- blood, and nothing else.

And about the IQ thing, I was referring to raw IQ, none of this age-based nonsense.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
...when getting an organ you must match someone on a higher level than just their blood type. This is why AB- doaners are the most sought-after.
If that's the case, O- should be most sought after, because whereas people with the AB- typing can still use blood that is A-/B-/AB-/O-, those with the O- blood type can only accept O- blood, and nothing else.
Hydrokirby is right.

The "higher level" F&V was talking about refers to something other than blood type. This usually refers to one of the immune system's "specific defenses", MHCs (major histocompability complex). MHCs are protein markers that recognize a specific epitope (a specific protein signature) and present the antigen to T-lymphocytes. Each person has a unique set of MHCs. Since there are antigens other than just A or B (or O if neither of those is present) and Rh-negative/positive, you have to try and match different sets of MHCs as much as possible too. This is especially important in organ transplantation and blood transfusion as well. Otherwise, the recipient's MHC may recognize the donor's blood/organ as a foreign invader.

Not gonna try to (dis)prove my facts, GoldShadow?
Haha, I will. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm taking a short break.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Not quite, O- are the most sought after for blood, but as far as organs go someone with AB-(the rarest blood type) will only find a match from someone with AB-, because your immune system will differ depending on your blood type. I should start making my statements more clear, I have a tendency to confuse others because I assume they see things from the same angle.

If you had a penny for every ant on earth you would be the second richest person on earth
If you had a penny for every girl that wanted me, you would be the richest man on earth

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Not quite, O- are the most sought after for blood, but as far as organs go someone with AB-(the rarest blood type) will only find a match from someone with AB-, because your immune system will differ depending on your blood type.
This is not true. The immune system does differ between people, but not because of your blood type. Additionally, Rh factor usually does not matter with organ donation (in other words, it doesn't matter whether it's positive or negative blood type). Someone of blood type AB can receive organs from any other blood type.

The "differences in immune system" refer to what I was talking about in my earlier post: Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA), aka, MHCs. You need to try and pick a donor whose HLA is as similar as possible to the recipient. This is not based on blood type.

Finally, you must perform an antibody test to make sure the donor has no antibodies that will specifically target the organ.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Anyone else sick of all the false reports on the internet? I got false facts from a .gov site, and a few from a .edu.

The energy from calories the average human burns daily is sufficient to heat every cup of coffee sold at the average Starbucks each day.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Mr. GAW said:
Higher than 146~150 places you in the "Gifted" range. Higher than 171~176 puts you on the intelligence level of a genius. Now for the other end of the spectrum. Less than 50~54 puts you at "********". A score less than 10~16 would make you a "Profound Moron". A score of under 4~10 would leave you classified as an "Idiot".
-49~1 puts you in Brawl Disc. You forgot that!

A 'jiffy' is an actual measurement of time; one-onehundreth of a second.

a1j2h5

Smash Apprentice
Proof? I fail to believe that. If it was Pearl Harbor, I might understand. But not 9/11
Go around and seriously ask people when 9/11 happened, they usually say something along the line of:
"Duh? September 11th"
then ask what year, watch them crash and burn..... no pun intended.
60% of Americans (Most likely less) can't remember the year :(
Did it to one of my professors once, hilarious outcome. :laugh:

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Let me guess

You don't live in America

Edit: Even if you did, you asking people doesn't constitute as a fact

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Woodpeckers peck an average of 20 times per second
That sounds a bit unrealistic... I think they can peck 2-3 times per second.
http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v087n03/p0544-p0556.pdf

"Crocodiles swallow stones to help them dive deeper."
True (most likely). Crocodiles do indeed swallow stones. But whether it's to help them dive deeper or for some other purpose, is not yet known.
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/NEWSLETTER/news192p19-21.htm

"Aluminum used to be more valuable than gold!" (WTF?)
True. In the 19th century, when aluminum was discovered in rocks, it was more valuable than gold because it was so hard to remove from the rocks. That made it very rare. When a process was discovered, later that century, that allowed it to be isolated very easily, its rarity dropped and gold became more expensive again.
http://www.mnh.si.edu/earth/text/3_3_2_2.html

Also, any info on the "75% of all people believe 98% of the statistics they are told" thing? I've always wondered about that. Is it true?
Hahaha, I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not.

Wear your jacket or you'll catch a cold.(your body's warmth has no affect on your chances of catching a cold)
Actually, this does have some truth to it. Just being in the cold won't cause you to get sick. But a decrease in body temperature (and that's exactly what being in the cold does) affects and impairs your immune system, which makes you more susceptible to catching something.

"Despite the hump, a camel's spine is straight."
True. The hump is made up of fatty tissue, above the spine. It does not actually store water, but fat! (an interesting fact!) http://pharyngula.org/images/camelskel.jpg

"Hummingbirds can't walk."
True. If you've ever seen a hummingbird or a picture of one, you'll see that its legs are so tiny, it is impossible for them to walk with them.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Whew! I think I'm going to take a break from fact-checking for a bit. Besides, it appears a lot of other people have been facting it up in the past couple days, which is excellent! In the meantime, I'll post a few interesting facts of my own...

FACT: Your kidneys filter about 1100-1200 Liters of blood a day.

FACT: Nintendo has been around since the late 19th century. It originated as a company that made playing cards.

FACT: The same side of the moon always faces the earth. This is because the time it takes for the moon to rotate once is the same as the time it takes to revolve around the earth once (about 29 days).

FACT: Some insects can see ultraviolet radiation (as opposed to visible light). Some flowers have markings visible only in the ultraviolet spectrum to attract these insects.

FACT: The Galapagos Tortoise may be the longest living animal, with an estimated lifespan of up to 200 years or more.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
The Galapagos is the longest living species, but there is a sturgeon living a few hours away from me in the columbia river that is almost 200 years now, and may live to be over 300 years old.

The Sea Bear(a microscopic animal) is capable of hibernating for over 100 years at a time(even if it was in space).

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct sentence.

Aeris dies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Clean-up time:

Falco&Victory said:
Like I care, this isn't my account. I just use my older brother's. Mine is on a completely different computer anyway. He's gone for the next week anyway so Xp
Since it's his account as you claim, and you don't care what happens to it, I'll just take you off the boards for a week. Good riddance.

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
The dot above the lowercase " i " is known as a tittle

The plastic pieces on the end of shoelaces are known as aglets.

Skywalker

Space Jump
If google's background was black it would save 750megawatt-hours per year.
Source please?

In spite what color the background is, your moniter will consume similar amounts energy. Also, although the RBG values would be set at 0 for black, the difference in how many watts consumed would be very small. Most of the power goes toward lighting the moniter and its inner workings, not changing crystals from red to blue to green. I'm basing this paragraph on an old CRT moniter btw. Just throwing in my guess.

Electricity isn't my strong-point in science, really.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
here's a list for you to prove/disprove

1. Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.

2. Polar bears are left handed.

3. Walt Disney was afraid of mice (mickey must have beem an odd thought)

4. Pearls melt in vinegar. (I'veheard they do dissolve but I heard it take a lond time.)

5. Turtles can breathe through their butts.

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
Source please?

In spite what color the background is, your moniter will consume similar amounts energy. Also, although the RBG values would be set at 0 for black, the difference in how many watts consumed would be very small. Most of the power goes toward lighting the moniter and its inner workings, not changing crystals from red to blue to green. I'm basing this paragraph on an old CRT moniter btw. Just throwing in my guess.

Electricity isn't my strong-point in science, really.

Oh it was from some blog that was linked by blackle.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackle.com

Skywalker

Space Jump
I stand corrected.

But why believe something when it isn't cited? I was too lazy to Google your fact (no pun intended).

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
1. Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.
True. Many sources will confirm that dolphins mate for reasons other than procreation.

2. Polar bears are left handed.
False. I could find nothing to substantiate this myth.

3. Walt Disney was afraid of mice (mickey must have beem an odd thought)
Possible. Couldn't find any definitive proof, but nothing really to disprove this one either.

4. Pearls melt in vinegar. (I'veheard they do dissolve but I heard it take a lond time.)
True. I addressed this one earlier in the thread: http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2701877&postcount=33
That is true... well, they don't really melt, they dissolve. But it's the acidic nature of vinegar (acetic acid) that dissolves pearls. So it would be more correct to say "pearls dissolve in acid", any acid; you could potentially dissolve them in orange juice too.
5. Turtles can breathe through their butts.
True-ish. Not all turtles. But a tiny number of species can breathe through their cloaca, which usually acts as just an opening for waste and reproduction.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/011116.html
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_co...ife/carers_kit/reptiles/biology/?format=print

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I'll answer a bunch of those in just a second...the site's being stupid and won't let me copy/paste for some reason.

edit: if I type out a post, it's working fine. But as soon as I copy/paste something into the textbox and try to post, I get a "403 Forbidden" message, whether I make a new post, quote, or edit. What the hell is up with this?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Gah. It's hard to try and think about a color you've never seen before.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Gah. It's hard to try and think about a color you've never seen before.
(Without looking this up)
I dont think it is a whole different color like you are trying to think about. They (along with a lot of other animals) can just see farther in the Electromagnetic Spectrem, whether is is infrared or ultravilolet.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Try using the advanced post option. That always seems to work whenever the Quick Reply box gets funky. I'll even try it copy and pasting right now.

Edit: Seems fine to me. :p

Edit: Men are 6 times more likely to be struck by lightning than women.
Armadillos get leprosy.
In France it s illegal to name your pig Napoleon. (I remember someone telling me this a long, long time ago)

Strider.Mars

Smash Rookie
regarding chickens seeing colors we cannot:
if u are refering to that they can detect UV, i dont think colors exist in that frequency, only in the visible spectrum (white light). unless u mean there are colors WE cant see in UV that exist.... now ive confused myself. but if this is fact, how is/was it determined?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Fact: goldshadow's intelligence has overloaded the internet.
Haha, that could be it, heh.

Try using the advanced post option. That always seems to work whenever the Quick Reply box gets funky. I'll even try it copy and pasting right now.

Edit: Seems fine to me. :p
I tried using Add Reply, "Go Advanced", quick reply, Quote, editing a previous post, multi-quote, etc. and nothing works. The site doesn't like something about my post and I don't know what :(:(:(

edit: I also address some of the UV issue in my post. And I'll clear up anything else about this whole "UV" business after I get my post to work.

Top Bottom