• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Handorin

Smash Hero
Fact- I gave up reading most of the posts in here and only read ones by GoldShadow.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
uh, what?
Terminal velocity of a human is around 55m/s, up to 140m/s with arms at side and legs together. Fifty-five meters a second. Think about that one for a second.
Even if you impacted water, the impulse of the impact would shatter every bone in your body. On a lighter note, at 55m/s the impact would crush your heart faster than your neurons could transfer a signal to your brain (.12 milliseconds) so you'd be dead before you knew it :laugh:
I remember when Mythbusters did a test with throwing a hammer at water to make the fall from a great hight safer to survive. The crash dummy that they used dropped something like 30-40 feet into water and was more damaged than the time they had it inside a lift that they cut the cables to. It was shattered.

RE: Ducks Quack Echoing.
When examined by an audio-expert, it was found that the echo was "swallowed" by the original quack, due to the very similar acoustic structure between the quack and the echo. Because of this, it may be difficult to tell where the quack ends and the echo begins.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The largest sperm (proportionately) is found in a type of fruit fly, Drosophila bifurca. (2.4 inches long)
True. It's 20 times longer than the fly itself! By comparison, the largest mammal sperm belongs to the honey possum, whose sperm is 0.36 mm long.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/655.shtml

"A blue whale's aorta (the main blood vessel) is large enough for a human to crawl through." (who researches these things?)
False-ish. According to this article, the aorta is only about 9 inches in diamater, much too small for any adult human (or at least the vast majority). However, the heart itself was measured as 6 feet wide; big enough for most people to fit.
Schweppes is right! A small child could fit through the blue whale aorta though.

"Forest fires move faster uphill than downhill."
Fact- I gave up reading most of the posts in here and only read ones by GoldShadow.
Thanks for the brand loyalty!

Fact - Goldshadow ***** all facts within an accuracy of which 60% of the time he ***** them 100% of the time.
Haha. Fact **** is fun for every one.

Fact: You cannot lie to Goldshadow
True. According to this website, it is very difficult.

Also, Mic is right about the duck quackery.

I want to thank everyone for their support! These posts are made possible by support from readers like you.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I want to thank everyone for their support! These posts are made possible by support from readers like you.
...and Google...

At least I don't have to back up my facts-- I'll leave that to Goldshadow.

-There isn't a collective word, such as 'siblings', for nieces and nephews.

_kSo_

Smash Master
"Edgar Allan Poe, American poet, was seventeen years old when accepted into Virginia University. First year he managed to gamble all his scholarship money. It was also reported that Edgar owed around $2500 to local gamblers. Gambling addiction led to alcoholism, which is still debated by many Poe's followers. However, it was reported by school systems that Edgar showed up in class drunk even during the examinations. The interesting fact is that Edgar Allan Poe finished with highest grades in his class and became best student of his generation."

- www.interestingfacts.org

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Cockroaches CANT survive nuclear explosions, only the radiation from the explosion.
If ants were the size of a horse they would be able to lift a whale(and we'd be f**ked)
Schwepped can't be cool til he stops play D&D

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I know I skipped a few, I'll do those later. This one piqued my interest though:

If ants were the size of a horse they would be able to life a whale(and we'd be f**ked)
False. Short Answer: Muscle strength doesn't increase proportionally as much as weight, so an ant the size of a horse wouldn't even be able to hold itself up, let alone a whale.

Long answer:
A giant ant would not have the same strength, proportionally, as a regular ant. There's something called the "square-cube law" that for our purposes, says that strength increases proportionally with the square of the size, but weight increases proportionally with the cube of the size. So if you increase the ant's size by two, it would get four times stronger but eight times heavier.
Now, according to links 1 and 2, one specific ant of the Formica genus is up to 1 cm long and weighs about 7.54 mg. Median weight for a horse is probably around 500 kg (link 3), and using link 4 we can say that makes it around 180 cm in length (ie, 180 times bigger than the ant). Let's assume from Link 5 that the ant can lift 50 times its weight, or 377 mg. Well, multiply that by (180)^2 to find Giant Ant's strength, and 7.54x(180)^3 for Giant Ant's weight.

That means our Giant Ant can lift about 12.2 kg, but it weighs 44 kg. Giant ant can't even hold himself up, let alone lift a whale!

http://vinsonlab.tamu.edu/former/john/formica.htm
http://www.springerlink.com/index/AML4F2KY65992TDX.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse#Size
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/horses/facts/98-093.htm
http://fathom.lib.uchicago.edu/2/21701757/

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
when you pop a pimple, the white ooze that come out is mostly white blood cells.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I just recently popped a pimple.

Popping pimples hurts. :(

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Ripple's white blood cell comment is true!

Also, Kenji's right! I prove many true as well. Besides, if a fact can be proved wrong then it's not really a fact, and I think it's much cooler to know the real facts (or the truth behind falsehoods) rather than random myths you find circulating on the internet and in public. Now you can correct people when you hear one of these things!

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I'm not saying that if an ant was... never mind, you know what I meant. If horses were proportionally as strong as ants they could lift a whale, there.

A dragonfly can fly backwards just as fast as it can forwards.
Venus rotates in the opposite direction from the other planets.
Winston Churchill was born in a ladies bathroom.
The "black box" in commercial airliners is actually orange.
Native Americans all have type O blood.
Mercury is the only metal liquid at room temperature.
Thermometers were once filled with brandy.
If Goldshadow announces it when facts are true, he just wasted a moment of your life
Schweppes level 13 elf cleric would get destroyed by my level 15 dark dwarf paladin

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Fact: Ethex is brand medicine prescribed to clear congestion, however it increase your heart rate. It also, causes minor depression.

Yeah, I am on that stuff. I did not for the past few days, and didn't even want to do anything.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Canada is legally part of the Japanese Empire

Due to their rarity, a two dollar bill is worth more then a five dollar bill

The nursery song "Ring around the rosies" is about **** and getting an std as a result

The man in the tape was Tom's Doppelganger

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Wow Earolingas... simply.... WOW.
It's not even worth correcting those... yes it is

No, Canada never belonged to Japan... ever

The Song Ring Around the Rosies is about the black plague

Not even doing the other two -_-

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Eorlingas posts are made of epic and win.

EDIT:

F&V: You should be shot.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Lol, wtf. I'll accept being told I'm wrong, but saying that I deserve to be shot is wrong. The CIA only has me doing intelligence work, not field.

One more thing, you can get $2 bills at the bank. You can get them by exchanging TWO DOLLARS. In fact my friend went to the bank and exchanged a ten for 5 $2 bills a few months ago.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying you're stupid.

Eor was obviously not serious.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Toast does not always fall butter side (down/up?) I don't know the saying

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Oh, never knew that about ring around the rosies. That's odd, half my teachers need to be shot now for teaching me lies.. However...

If Canada was part of the empire they would be under Japanese rule. As it says, it is independent, it's only part of Japan as far as paperwork goes.

edit: @Ripple, it's called Murphy's law. It usually does because of the speed of rotation and the distance of the fall.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Well, it's not about **** either.

And Canada isn't part of Japan as far as paperwork goes.

Eorlingas just has amazing mindgames, like I said.

EDIT:

Murphy's Law is that the worst thing that can happen WILL happen. It's applied to videogames a ton.

It has nothing to do with the buttered toast thing, which is a complete myth.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Dammit, if one more person edits wikipedia I swear to Allah(haha, can't go to hell that way) that I will shoot every one within ten feet of me. I should have noticed the misspell.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Oh, never knew that about ring around the rosies. That's odd, half my teachers need to be shot now for teaching me lies.. However...

If Canada was part of the empire they would be under Japanese rule. As it says, it is independent, it's only part of Japan as far as paperwork goes.

edit: @Ripple, it's called Murphy's law. It usually does because of the speed of rotation and the distance of the fall.
I'm quoting your post now so you can't edit your words away. I really don't know why you think Canada is part of Japan 'only on Paper.' We pay 15% of our GDP to them every year as tribute. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that an American can't be bothered to learn the first thing about another country.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
As it says, you have independent rule. Therefore you are not part of the actual empire. If you were you would be under the same laws. Sorry if I get ignorant sometimes though.

Night people

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
What misspell are you talking about F&V?

EDIT: Eh. Jokes up. That was fun though.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Something that's not scientific:

The statement, "I don't want people to think I'm vain", contradicts itself.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Alright, F&V, stop just making up bull**** and correcting stuff you don't know.

Seriously, you are just spamming at this point and not doing a very good job at trying to appear smart.

Next, obviously bull**** fact you post, that can be found within 5 seconds on google (I typed all your "facts" in but didn't post because plenty others did already) then I view all your "facts" as spam as the rules of this thread is to post facts.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Now that we've got the Canada/Japan thing settle, more facts:

The largest man-made 'object', if you want to call it that, was a mushroom cloud resulting from a Russian nuclear bomb test. The cloud was about 60 kilometres tall and some 30-40 kilometres wide.

You can't really see the Great Wall of China from the moon. Seriously, why would you, if you can't see highways which are both longer and wider? Length wouldn't really matter anyway.

Gravity travels at the speed of light.

The most successful way for a man to ask a woman to marry him is over an instant messenger service.

Most people are lactose intolerant.

People pronounce "Mario" from the Super Mario games one way and "Mario" in "East Side Mario's" another way. It's the same name!

The oldest living thing on Earth is a tree named Methuselah, and it is older than western civilization. Think about it, when Greece and Rome were messing around this tree was just hanging out with its buddies, some of whom are still alive. An even older tree was cut down in like the 60s or something.

Firebenders lose their power during a solar eclipse.

A Roman Emperor once declared war on Poseidon, and basically won since he encountered no resistance. His troops took shells and coral from the sea as their prize.

The world's population has more than doubled since 1950. This however, does not mean that more people are alive now that have ever lived. Estimates vary but there have probably been somehwere around 100 billion people.

The largest international organization (in terms of numbers of countries it has as members) is FIFA.

Agenie04991

Smash Cadet
A few ones I thought were particularly good...

All the information on the internet (videos, music, e-mails, etc.) weighs 0.2 millionths of an ounce.

Because of the amount of potassium, eating 600 bananas is equal to having one chest x-ray.

Top Bottom