• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Ok, I am tired of GoldShadow bashing my uber cool snapple facts. Go complain to snapple.

Beat THESE snapple facts

Snapple is based in Rye Brook, New York
Snapple was founded by Hyman Golden, Arnold Greenberg and Leonard Marsh
In Valley Stream, New York (long island) snapple was founded in 1972
Snapple's brand slogan is "Made from the best stuff on Earth."
the flavors are:
Teas

* Lemon Tea
* Caffeine Free Lemon Tea
* Just Plain Tea Unsweetened
* Lime Green Tea
* Mint Tea
* Out of the Blue-Berry
* Raspberry Tea
* Peach Tea
* Very Cherry Tea
* Kiwi Teawi
* White Tea-Green Apple
* White Tea-Nectarine
* White Tea-Raspberry
* Green Tea
* Green Tea-Mango
* Green Tea-Pear
* Wild 'Bout Berries
* Red Tea-Acia Mixed Berry
* Red Tea- Mandarin Tangerine
* Red Tea-Peach Pomegranate
* Black Tea-Earl Grey
* Black Tea-Orange Pekoe
* Black Tea-English Breakfast

Lemonade

* Lemonade Iced Tea
* Lemonade
* Pink Lemonade
* Super Sour Lemonade

Diet
* Diet Lemon Tea
* Diet Lime Green Tea
* Diet Peach Tea
* Diet Green Apple Tea
* Diet Raspberry Tea
* Diet Out of the Blue-Berry Tea
* Diet Plum-A-Granate Tea
* Diet Lemonade Iced Tea
* Diet Cranberry Raspberry
* Diet Kiwi Strawberry
* Diet Snapple Apple
* Diet Orange Carrot
* Diet Pink Lemonade

Juice Drinks

* Snapricot Orange
* Snapple Apple
* Cranberry Raspberry
* Fruit Punch Bunch
* Green Apple
* Grapeade
* Kiwi Strawberry
* Mango Madness
* Orangeade
* Summer Peach
* Raspberry Peach
* Go Bananas
* What-a-Melon
* Out-red-geous Orange
* Apple Pie
* Acai Blackberry

Kosher

* Caffeine Free Tea
* Cranberry Raspberry
* Cranberry Twist
* Diet Cranberry Raspberry
* Diet Kiwi Strawberry
* Diet Lime Green Tea
* Diet Orange Carrot
* Diet Peach Tea
* Diet Pink Lemonade
* Diet Raspberry Tea
* Diet Ruby Red
* Just Plain Tea-Unsweetened
* Kiwi Strawberry
* Lemon Tea
* Lemonade
* Lemonade Iced Tea
* Lime Green Tea
* Mango Madness
* Mint Tea
* Orangeade
* Peach Tea
* Pink Lemonade
* Raspberry Tea
* Ruby Red
* Diet Lemon Tea
* Snapple Apple
* Snapricot Orange
* Very Cherry Tea

*Huff, huff, huff*
Beat those facts betch

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
"The energy of a discharge of an electric eel could start 50 cars." (Start, but not drive, I bet)
The Voltage is there but not enough Amps. The current is a bit more than one electric eel could handle. :laugh:

A one-minute kiss burns 26 calories(I burnt 130 calories yesterday lol)
I'm gonna call FALSE on that second part.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The Voltage is there but not enough Amps. The current is a bit more than one electric eel could handle. :laugh:
Ah ****, you're right. I can't believe I forgot about that. About 200 amps are needed to start a car, but an electric eel can only provide around one. Now this is more fun; people pointing out flaws in my arguments. Savor it, because like Halley's comet, it only happens once every 76 years! (Now there's an interesting fact!)

Are you a physics major ISB?

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
If an eel made that much electricity it would likely kill everything under water within a hundred feet around it.

If Goldshadow could only be proved wrong every 76 years it could only happen once. Which means it can never happen again. Ok, beat this
2a = a, therefore 2 = 1

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Molecular Cell Biology and Music, but I'm quite interested in physics and I study it a lot in my spare time...go geeks!
But yeah, I know a lot of random stuff :p

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Ok, beat this
2a = a, therefore 2 = 1
There's nothing to beat, you didn't make a statement. It's the same is if I said "assume 2=1", it's an assumption. Until you prove that 2a=a, you did nothing but place random numbers and symbols together.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
If an eel made that much electricity it would likely kill everything under water within a hundred feet around it.

If Goldshadow could only be proved wrong every 76 years it could only happen once. Which means it can never happen again. Ok, beat this
2a = a, therefore 2 = 1
Quit dividing by 0. *shudders at discrete math*

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Quit dividing by 0. *shudders at discrete math*

Anyway, this should be interesting

I can fall over 30 feet without injuring myself as long as I don't land on some sharp rocks or something

The human body is capable of surviving falls from over 30,000 feet(not much difference considering they go at the same speed they would at 5,000 feet)

MysticKenji

Smash Master
More "facts":

"It takes six months to build a Rolls Royce...and 13 hours to build a Toyota."

"Apples are 25% air."

True. This scientific article (warning: LONG .pdf file) talks about a bivalve called Enigmonia aenigmatica that climbs mangrove trees. It's a type of oyster. So I wouldn't doubt that there are oysters in the Caribbean that can do the same.
I bet those oysters can pull off some serious mindgames

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Pff, AltF4 I bet you knew some of these were false but posted them for fun anyway!

-The sky is blue because of reflected light off the oceans.
False. commonyoshi was right about the air! A poem by me on the topic:
It's the O3,
and not the sea,
that make the sky bluey.
edit: aaagh **** it, read altf4's explanation later. I'm keeping my poem though, because it rocks, even if it's not really true.

-Pi is finite.
False. Not gonna argue with the math-man on this one though! :cool:

-It gets hotter in the summer because the Earth gets closer to the sun.
False. It's not the earth's distance from the sun, but the fact that its axis is tilted at a 23.5 degree angle, which means that one hemisphere is closer than the other (which is why it's summer in the northern hemisphere when it's winter in the south).

nothingness is the essence of the universe. all the planets, stars, astroids, etc, are all a part in that nothingness. space, in itself is nothing.
Undetermined. This is possible, but if what some physicists and astronomers are saying is true, up to 90% of that "nothingness" might actually be filled with something called "dark matter". Time will tell whether this "fact" is indeed a fact or not.

Er, the toungue is the strongest muscle in the human body.
False. First of all, the tongue is actually several different muscles put together. Secondly, it depends on how you define strength. If you mean the muscle that can provide the most instantaneous power, it would be the gluteus maximus (the butt!). If you mean the muscle that can do the most consistent and constant work, it would be the heart (which never stops beating until you die).

Every toungue is different like fingerprints are.
True. But by the same logic, so is every liver, every pancreas, every heart...

Snapple facts ftw
@Tmw, they use night vision camera's. Ever woke up in the middle of the night with a spider in your mouth? I nearly screeched.
False. Arrgh, these snapple "facts" are mostly lies. Anyway, it's definitely possible for a spider to find its way to someone's mouth. But there is no way someone set up night vision cameras, watched every moment a giant sample of people slept each night for god knows how many weeks or months or years, and determined how many spiders crawled in their mouth to find an average for the lifetime. Not to mention that this would depend directly on where you live; obviously, some regions (and houses/buildings) have more spiders than others.

The average human produces 10,000 gallons of saliva in a lifetime
False. According to this study, a person produces an average of 570 mL of saliva per day. One gallon is 3784.5 mL, so 10,000 gallons is 3.7845 * 10^7 mL of saliva in a lifetime. Assuming there are 365 days/year (let's not worry about leap years for simplicity), that's 208,050 mL a year. Do the math, and you get 181.9 years. Definitely too much. A more realistic value would be around 4000 gallons.

Alaska is the most eastern and western state in the US
Since the earth is a sphere, this doesn't necessarily hold true. Depends on how you look at it. I can (and do) say Maine is the easternmost state.

Smelling apples and/or bananas can help you lose weight
True (most likely). The aroma of certain foods decreases your appetite.

When the moon is directly over you, you weigh less
True. But it's really not a noticeable effect. Might be important to note that the moon's pull influences high and low tides as well.

Lizards communicate by doing push-ups(muscular b@sta@rds)
True. I was surprised by the veracity of this one! Lizards actually do do push-ups to communicate a wide range of things. Read all about it:
http://eebweb.arizona.edu/Animal_behavior/lizards/lizard1.htm
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc99/2_27_99/bob2ref.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_9_155/ai_54130643

Beavers were once the size of bears
True. According to this site regarding the evolution of beavers, "These ancient beavers are believed to be as large as bears".

The first human-made object to break the sound barrier was a whip(the next was me)
True. The tip of a strong whip moves fast enough to break the sound barrier, hence the loud 'crack' that it makes. Also, F&V, if you were the next to break the sound barrier, you must be pretty old for a smash brothers site!

I've still gotta do some of Tonyman's, like the lifespan of sharks and lizards, shrimp brains, minks, cats, and rock money. And mystic and CK's and others.

Tune in next time on Gold's Believe it or Not!

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
GoldShadow said:
False. First of all, the tongue is actually several different muscles put together. Secondly, it depends on how you define strength. If you mean the muscle that can provide the most instantaneous power, it would be the gluteus maximus (the butt!). If you mean the muscle that can do the most consistent and constant work, it would be the heart (which never stops beating until you die).
He could just be referring to the fact that the tongue regenerates quicker than any other muscle.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice

Anyway, this should be interesting

I can fall over 30 feet without injuring myself as long as I don't land on some sharp rocks or something

The human body is capable of surviving falls from over 30,000 feet(not much difference considering they go at the same speed they would at 5,000 feet)
uh, what?
Terminal velocity of a human is around 55m/s, up to 140m/s with arms at side and legs together. Fifty-five meters a second. Think about that one for a second.
Even if you impacted water, the impulse of the impact would shatter every bone in your body. On a lighter note, at 55m/s the impact would crush your heart faster than your neurons could transfer a signal to your brain (.12 milliseconds) so you'd be dead before you knew it :laugh:

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Ummm... no?

Why 30,000? If you say the body could survive a fall at which they are going at terminal velocity, shouldn't they be able to survive ANY fall?

I say BS.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I said capable of, not 'Anyone can do it'. People have been found surviving the falls. I say 30,000 feet because much higher and you start to burn up in the atmosphere while falling.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
^^^ Link?

I just don't think that's possible. Unless they fell through a billion sheets first and than into a pool full of fluffy pillows.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
I said capable of, not 'Anyone can do it'. People have been found surviving the falls. I say 30,000 feet because much higher and you start to burn up in the atmosphere while falling.
Where do you hear these things? Did a Snapple top tell you that someone survived a 6 mile fall? Do you know someone that fell from 30,000 feet? This is common sense here, nobody is gonna survive a fall at terminal velocity unless you fell through like 700 meters of very loose snow.
Oh, and I call false again on the burning up in the atmosphere. Humans aren't big enough so there's not enough friction to turn into heat. There's less air higher up in the atmosphere so it wouldn't make sense for someone to burn up at 30,000 feet if they wouldn't burn up at 5000 feet.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Hmmm... I don't believe you would reach terminal velocity falling from 5,000 feet, then.

Something tells me you wouldn't reach terminal velocity until around 20,000 feet, because YOU ABSOLUTLEY COULD NOT SURVIVE A FALL AT TERMINAL VELOCITY. That's just ridiculous.

I don't feel like doing the math, but that's gotta be wrong. Either that, or that hammeruncut story was misinformed about the height at which the freefall started.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
In the first link you posted, the guy opened his reserve chute at 700 feet. So it wasn't at terminal velocity (although that has got to hurt, you can deccelerate to about 10m/s [?] which isn't fatal...but not recommended)
And as for the second link, the video doesn't work, but I'm gonna have to say that you shouldn't trust everything you read on the internet. It looks like a jungle setting, in which his crash may have been slowed down by the thick canopy; whether or not this is true and a person could/couldn't survive something like that at terminal velocity...that guy had to have gotten seriously ****ed up doing **** like that.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Actually, the reserve chute didn't work. That's what has me confused.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Actually, the reserve chute didn't work. That's what has me confused.
"Holmes was plummeting to the Earth at 70 mph. He pulled the cord for his main parachute at 4,000 feet, but it didn't fully open, even though it caught enough air to violently spin him around."
The chute didn't fully open but it was out there. That would provide enough friction to allow a survivable fall, I don't find that too hard to believe actually. But it definitely wasn't in free-fall. :p

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ohhhh... I'm actually dissapointed that nobody jumped on my statements like the hawks I thought they would.

They're all false, duh.

-The sky being blue sn't anything specific to the O-Zone. It's just a property of anything that is clear to appear blue. (really short answer is that longer wavelength colors get dispursed into the atmosphere while shorter wavelength ones go straight through)

-Pi is irrational therefore infinite

-I just totally made up that third one, lol.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
"Holmes was plummeting to the Earth at 70 mph. He pulled the cord for his main parachute at 4,000 feet, but it didn't fully open, even though it caught enough air to violently spin him around."
The chute didn't fully open but it was out there. That would provide enough friction to allow a survivable fall, I don't find that too hard to believe actually. But it definitely wasn't in free-fall. :p
My bad, I misread it.

Yeah, I'm not surprised than. That second one couldn't have been 15,000 feet, though.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
In Yap, an isle in the south Pacific, they use rocks as money.
True. On the island of Yap, stone money using rocks called "Rai stones" is used. The island is open to tourists. I'll admit though, I just wikipedia'd this one :(:(:(

Shrimps have their hearts in their head.
True. The heart is located on the dorsal side of the head, near the middle of the body.
http://www.sms.si.edu/IRLFieldGuide/images/Shrimp1.gif

Sharks and lizards can live between 25 and 30 years.
False. Due to their physiology and growth, it's very hard to determine the age and lifespan of most sharks and it is not currently known. However, it is estimated that the great white shark may live up to 100+ years, which would make it the longest living shark.
http://www.npca.org/marine_and_coastal/marine_wildlife/sharks.html
http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info...a/craniata/chondrichthyes/selachii/sharks.htm
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodi...recovery/r-typus-issues/biology.html#lifespan

As for lizards, it depends entirely on their size. The green anole (first link) lives only 2-3 years. But estimates on a komodo dragon's lifespan range anywhere from 20-50+ years.
http://www.corkscrew.audubon.org/Wildlife/Lizards.html
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Varanus_komodoensis.html
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Komododragon.cfm
http://www.akronzoo.org/learn/komodo.asp

In the USA there are 90 million domesic cats.
True. In fact, the number is probably closer to 100 million according to this publication from the University of Wisconsin:
http://wildlife.wisc.edu/extension/catfly3.htm

False. Any fall from about 15 feet (or 3 times your height) will most likely result in injury and can be fatal. Learned this from my EMT textbook. There are exceptions; there are always exceptions and lucky people. But I would not count on luck if I were jumping from up high, be it 30 feet or 300.

False. While there was an airline flight attendant (Vesna Vulovic... wikipedia her or something) who survived a fall of 33,000 feet, she was still strapped in inside the airplane. But like the others have pointed out, I don't think it would be possible to survive a freefall at terminal velocity.

"Apples are 25% air."
True. This paper (it's pretty dense reading) shows that the air content of apples differs based on size, but it hovered around 20-30% for the type they studied. Other estimates even place air content of apples at up to 41%.
http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/55/399/1061

More "facts":"It takes six months to build a Rolls Royce...and 13 hours to build a Toyota."
False-ish. Several sites agree on about 350 hours, not counting engine build time, for a Rolls Royce. Assuming 9-5 work days, that's about 44 days (not counting weekends). So it's probably closer to 1 and a half months or almost 2 months.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KJI/is_3_119/ai_n18770106
http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/030701.html
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/30/officially-official-2008-rolls-royce-phantom-drophead-coupe/

And a BBC article says that it takes about 29 hours for a Toyota.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6346315.stm

Spider one: but isn't the core of apples quite toxic to humans (contains cyanide)
True-ish. It's not the apple core but the apple seeds that contain cyanide. However, they contain such a small amount that you'd need to ingest a ridiculous number of apple seeds for it to really have an effect. According to the first link, only a single case of death by apple seed has been documented; someone who ate a cupful of apple seeds.
http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/greenline/i1250_384.html
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen99/gen99515.htm

Don't miss the next exciting episode of GoldNye the Science Guy!

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Molecular Cell Biology and Music, but I'm quite interested in physics and I study it a lot in my spare time...go geeks!
But yeah, I know a lot of random stuff :p
Ah very nice! I'm also a Molecular and Cell Bio major, but I dabble in other things too (not so much physics though). Awesome.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
^^^ Yup. My aunt had Liver Cancer and they had to cut out half of her Liver, it's already grown back.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The internet was invented before the car

Einstein was once convicted of ****

Hitler and Stalin both went to the same college

Texas officially allows slavery, and this has been held up in court

The last documented Indian raid occurred on October 7th, 2003, when thirty natives left their resort and went on an arson spree, killing three people

The man who green lighted Lost was fired for doing so

One of the founding fathers was actually a women

Diet Coke contains more sugar then regular coke

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I'm kind of scared to post here now, <<; Goldshadow will massacre my intelligence.

the liver has the ability to regenerate after surgery.
True. Haha, don't be scared! I don't bite. Do I?
Anyway, yes the liver can regenerate, like Mr GAW also confirmed. Read more at: http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/liver/regen.html

When you sneeze, all of your bodily functions (including heartbeat) stop.
False. Sneezing doesn't have an effect on other bodily functions.
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/mar98/890925984.An.r.html
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mgesundheit.html

A cockroach can live up to two weeks with no head.
True. Longer actually, up to one month. Roaches, like other insects, breathe through their exoskeleton with tubes called spiracles. Gas exchange (of oxygen/CO2) takes place directly through these; there's no need for a brain. They also don't use much energy, being ectotherms ('cold blooded'), and a roach without a head wouldn't move much, using even less energy. Finally, they don't bleed out like other larger animals.
Everything you ever wanted to know about the disgusting creatures at this website:
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/cockroach_faq.html

"Vultures fly without flapping their wings." (How do they fly then?)
I think this is referring to how they soar by spreading their wings once they're already up in the air. They use air currents and updrafts to soar, like other birds. Here's a youtube vid of a vulture doing this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=D3XmpkLlfe4

"People in nudist colonies play volleyball more than any other sport." (I wonder who found this out?)
Hahaha, I'm not going there. Whether it's true or not, it's certainly amusing. Well, as long as its mostly attractive female nudists.

The internet was invented before the car

Einstein was once convicted of ****

Hitler and Stalin both went to the same college

Texas officially allows slavery, and this has been held up in court

The last documented Indian raid occurred on October 7th, 2003, when thirty natives left their resort and went on an arson spree, killing three people

The man who green lighted Lost was fired for doing so

One of the founding fathers was actually a women

Diet Coke contains more sugar then regular coke
These are all true.

Whew, I need to take a break from this topic.

Schweppes

Smash Ace
"A blue whale's aorta (the main blood vessel) is large enough for a human to crawl through." (who researches these things?)
False-ish. According to this article, the aorta is only about 9 inches in diamater, much too small for any adult human (or at least the vast majority). However, the heart itself was measured as 6 feet wide; big enough for most people to fit.

"Forest fires move faster uphill than downhill."
True. (I think?) I don't really know for certain, but heat travels upwards and whatnot, so it would make sense...I would guess that other factors (such as wind, availability of fuel) would make a larger impact on the flame's movement.

Am I cool yet?

Top Bottom