• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The man who greenlighted Lost was fired for doing so (actually true!)

It was the most expensive pilot in history, and so he was fired for giving them the go-ahead. He was never offered his job back

Former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke held a worldwide record for fastest beer drinking

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
You can't really see the Great Wall of China from the moon. Seriously, why would you, if you can't see highways which are both longer and wider? Length wouldn't really matter anyway.
lemme give this a shot lol. i cant say that ive done as much as goldshadow, but im guessing that its possible to see the Great Wall of China from the moon because there aren't as many lights around it compared to highways surrounded and covered by cars and buildings

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Proof? I fail to believe that. If it was Pearl Harbor, I might understand. But not 9/11
I don't know about 60% but there was a TV show here that had a guy in america going around and asking them when 9/11 was and the onesthey showed, there was quite a few who didn't get it right :/

I think earlier in the year it was the same show that asked americans where Iraq was (while showing them a globe) and they couldn't find it. Chasers War on Everything

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Gravity travels at the speed of light.

The most successful way for a man to ask a woman to marry him is over an instant messenger service.

Most people are lactose intolerant.
1. I think what you meant to say is that the force of gravity cannot act on an object faster/slower than the speed of light because gravity doesn't travel. :p
2. How did you determine that?
3. But eventually lactose tolerance will be the majority since it is a dominant trait.

A few ones I thought were particularly good...

All the information on the internet (videos, music, e-mails, etc.) weighs 0.2 millionths of an ounce.

Because of the amount of potassium, eating 600 bananas is equal to having one chest x-ray.
1. How in the world did you come up with this? Digital information can't be defined by weight. And if by weight you mean our ability to store every bit of data on the internet, then you're blatantly wrong because however many petabytes of info there is that makes up the internet, it would probably take up enough storage to fill a large building (or several).
2. I didn't bother to look it up but maybe you could clarify how eating bananas is equivalent to bombarding your chest cavity with beta particles. Just curious.

cF=)

Smash Lord
1. I think what you meant to say is that the force of gravity cannot act on an object faster/slower than the speed of light because gravity doesn't travel. :p
According to general relativity, it has been predicted by scientists to travel at the speed of light. But, it's kind of an abberation to say so since traveling at light speed would give gravitron an infinite mass.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
According to general relativity, it has been predicted by scientists to travel at the speed of light. But, it's kind of an abberation to say so since traveling at light speed would give gravitron an infinite mass.
No, general relativity states that the force of gravity acts on other objects at the speed of light. I was simply poking at the wording of his sentence because gravity itself doesn't travel :p. One way to look at it is to answer the question: If the sun were to suddenly dissappear, would the Earth immediatly leave its orbital trajectory? The answer is no because the force of gravity would not suddenly cease to exist until whatever forces being exerted up to that point reached Earth.
I know what you guys mean to say but what you're actually saying is impossible because any object that exerts gravity cannot exist at the speed of light since it must be massless, and if it has no mass then it cannot exert any force of gravity.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't try to combine relativity and quantum mechanics. The world's greatest physicists from around the world have been trying for years and still can't. Besides, a graviton is a massless particle like Head said.

Also, LOL at that "information weighing a certain amount of ounces" thing. That is just so totally made up it's funny.

-Also, no takers on my "Statue of Liberty is in New Jersey, not New York" one? Cuz that's true. You can see it from New York City, so they just like to pretend that it's theirs.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Don't try to combine relativity and quantum mechanics. The world's greatest physicists from around the world have been trying for years and still can't. Besides, a graviton is a massless particle like Head said.

Also, LOL at that "information weighing a certain amount of ounces" thing. That is just so totally made up it's funny.

-Also, no takers on my "Statue of Liberty is in New Jersey, not New York" one? Cuz that's true. You can see it from New York City, so they just like to pretend that it's theirs.
Actually, while it is drawn within the state line of New Jersey, New York has territorial jurisdiction over Liberty Island. So technically the Statue of Liberty is part of New York even though it's closer to New Jersey.

"Is the Statue in New York or New Jersey? The Statue of Liberty is on Liberty Island, federal property administered by the National Park Service, located within the territorial jurisdiction of the State of New York. A pact between New York and New Jersey, ratified by Congress in 1834, declared this issue. "
http://www.nps.gov/stli/faqs.htm

Agenie04991

Smash Cadet
Grrr, I should have been more specific. Everything on the internet is made up of little electrical signals (0's and 1's). These signals need to be charged by electrons, around 40,000 per bit. Since electrons have weight, we can 'guess' the entire weight. One researcher estimated 40 petabytes (40 x 10^15 bytes), so if we assume that, on average, half the bits are 1's (which require charge), then the total weight is 0.2 millionths of an ounce. Better?

As for the bananas, about one in every 8550 potassium atoms is radioactive potassium-40 and since bananas happen to be particularly high in potassium, it'sone of the most radioactive foods.

Found these in DISCOVER magazine by the way.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down.
lol! i like that one

Companion comes from the latin word com, "with", and panis, "bread" --Someone you break bread with

During 33 seasons on the air, Mr. Rogers' trolley raveled more than 100 miles on its track.
^^ got these from a book :)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
California does not have the farthest west point on the continental United States.

Also, any info on the "75% of all people believe 98% of the statistics they are told" thing? I've always wondered about that. Is it true?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I don't have any confirmation on it, but most people are stupid and gullible as hell, so I'd say true.

EDIT:

Although, I may be stupid and gullible as hell for deeming this true.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Grrr, I should have been more specific. Everything on the internet is made up of little electrical signals (0's and 1's). These signals need to be charged by electrons, around 40,000 per bit. Since electrons have weight, we can 'guess' the entire weight. One researcher estimated 40 petabytes (40 x 10^15 bytes), so if we assume that, on average, half the bits are 1's (which require charge), then the total weight is 0.2 millionths of an ounce. Better?

As for the bananas, about one in every 8550 potassium atoms is radioactive potassium-40 and since bananas happen to be particularly high in potassium, it'sone of the most radioactive foods.

Found these in DISCOVER magazine by the way.
Ah that makes a lot more sense, that's actually a really cool fact. It's the future of our digital storage; however the electron push, the energy required to sustain information in the form of subatomic particles is too high (currently) to be used in a stable form. But I never imagined it would be something so small :p I stand corrected.

As for the banana fact (which I never said was wrong by the way), I think its interesting, but you'd probably get messed up a lot sooner from other trace materials if you ate that many bananas :laugh:

Oh, and I just remembered a cool (useless) fact. The largest number ever used in a proof (for a combinatorial mathematics riddle) is Graham's Number. I'll first describe its ridiculousness as to awe you with the mind-boggling size of this number before I tell you what it actually is.
Graham's number is so big that if you took a googolplex (10^10^100) to the power of a googolplex a googolplex number of times, you wouldn't even get close to the size of this number. It's so big that a seperate notation had to be created simply to express the number. In fact, it is physically impossible to write out this number using exponential notation simply because there is not enough matter in the universe (about 10^60 particles) to have it written out.
First I'll explain the new notation, called Knuth's Up-Arrows.
3^^^3 = 3^^(3^3) = 3^^27 = 3^(3^27)^(3^27)...^(3^27) where "..." represents a total of 27 ^(3^27).
The rate of increase using Knuth's Up-Arrows is stupidly fast. If you didn't understand what happened there, in simpler terms its kinda like
7+7 = 7*2
7*7 = 7^2
where Knuth's Up-Arrows represent the next factor of rapid increasing notation from exponential form.
So Graham's Number is:
3^^^...^^^3 with 64th iteration of Knuth's Up-Arrows where 3^^^^3 is the first iteration.
In otherwords (let G=graham's #)
G=3(63rd iteration # of arrows)3
63rd iteration = 3(62nd iteration # of arrows)3
all the way down to 1st iteration = 3^^^^3
Simplifying the second iteration would require all the processing power on Earth over a million years to produce. Simplifying the third iteration is physically impossible.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Alright, F&V, stop just making up bull**** and correcting stuff you don't know.

Seriously, you are just spamming at this point and not doing a very good job at trying to appear smart.

Next, obviously bull**** fact you post, that can be found within 5 seconds on google (I typed all your "facts" in but didn't post because plenty others did already) then I view all your "facts" as spam as the rules of this thread is to post facts.
Like I care, this isn't my account. I just use my older brother's. Mine is on a completely different computer anyway. He's gone for the next week anyway so Xp

The earth's core may be comprised of 10% gold.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Like I care, this isn't my account. I just use my older brother's. Mine is on a completely different computer anyway. He's gone for the next week anyway so Xp

The earth's core may be comprised of 10% gold.
It's actually more likely to be around 1% gold. That 10% you refer to that isn't iron or nickel is theorized to be oxygen or sulfur (scientists are quite sure that it is an element lighter than iron) and the gold you're referring to is actually found as impurities in the iron. Nevertheless, the quantity of gold in the Earth's core is quite significant, there is enough to cover the entire surface of the world :p

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
False facts:

The U.S. government owns the Federal Reserve banks.
Wear your jacket or you'll catch a cold.(your body's warmth has no affect on your chances of catching a cold)
Irregardless is not a word.
It is possible to stand an egg up on its end, but only at the equator, on the day of the Summer Solstice.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Well it's obvious thatsome statistics are just guesses or sometimes completely made up, but its hard to get a true statistic on how many of them aren't true. heh

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Utah/Arizona's Lake Powell has more coastline than the continental United State's west coast.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
The King of Hearts is the only king in a standard deck of cards without a mustache.

Stressed is desserts spelled backwards.

There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.

Woodpeckers peck an average of 20 times per second

Schweppes

Smash Ace
HeadISBAgent said:
If anyone's interested, here's Graham's problem (copied from Wikipedia:

"Consider an n-dimensional hypercube, and connect each pair of vertices to obtain a complete graph on 2n vertices. Then colour each of the edges of this graph using only the colours red and black. What is the smallest value of n for which every possible such colouring must necessarily contain a single-coloured complete sub-graph with 4 vertices that lies in a plane?"

I'll admit I had to read it about a dozen times before I began to understand it. :dizzy:

Unsung Master said:
Woodpeckers peck an average of 20 times per second
In any second that it's pecking in, yes. But not over the course of a lifetime. :laugh:

Some woodpeckers have tongues as long as their own body. The extra length is possible because the tongue actually curls up into the skull!

snoblo said:
Companion comes from the latin word com, "with", and panis, "bread" --Someone you break bread with
Com and panis? My mind's in the gutter.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Venus rotates in the opposite direction from the other planets.
True. http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/solarspin.htm

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies bathroom.
False. http://www.snopes.com/history/world/churchill.asp

The "black box" in commercial airliners is actually orange.
True. It is generally required that they be painted either orange or yellow to make them easy to find.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/aircrash/blackboxes.html
http://www.atsb.gov.au/aviation/editorials/e00001/index.aspx

Native Americans all have type O blood.
False. But a lot of them, about 79% do. 16% have type A, 4% have type B, and 1% have AB.
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Blood-Type-Test

Mercury is the only metal liquid at room temperature.
False. Mercury is the only transition metal that's liquid at room temperature, but two alkali metals (Cesium and Francium) are also liquid at room temperature.

Thermometers were once filled with brandy.
True. Joseph Solomon Delmedigo invented a thermometer in the 17th century that was filled with brandy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_temperature_and_pressure_measurement_technology
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=12265

You can't really see the Great Wall of China from the moon. Seriously, why would you, if you can't see highways which are both longer and wider? Length wouldn't really matter anyway.
tmw's right, if anyone wants proof, here it is from NASA itself:
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/workinginspace/great_wall.html

Gravity travels at the speed of light.
Possibly. The speed of gravity being equal to the speed of light has not been proven and has come under controversy.
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/gravity_speed_030116.html
http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/Phys-speed-of-gravity.html

Most people are lactose intolerant.
True. There are three types of lactose intolerance: congenital, primary, and secondary. Congenital is when people produce very little lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose) from birth. Primary is when lactase production decreases as you age, and is normal and found in most people. Secondary is when lactase production decreases due to illness or injury.
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/lactoseintolerance/
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/wichd/nut/pdf/fac5-s.pdf

The oldest living thing on Earth is a tree named Methuselah, and it is older than western civilization. Think about it, when Greece and Rome were messing around this tree was just hanging out with its buddies, some of whom are still alive. An even older tree was cut down in like the 60s or something.
True. Pretty cool stuff!
http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/methuselah.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/methuselah/

In 1993, the US government recorded $277,000 spent on 'pickle research.'
True (mostly). There was indeed a paper called "Sodium D line emission from pickles," published in the Journal of Chemical Education:
http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/Journal/Issues/1993/Mar/index.html
But I couldn't find anywhere that it received $277,000. Regardless, you have to understand that's a relatively small amount of money compared to the millions some labs receive to study things that seem pointless. Most basic research seems pointless on some level, but without it, we wouldn't have anything to base clinical and applied research on.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
3. But eventually lactose tolerance will be the majority since it is a dominant trait.
No, that's not true! Congenital lactose intolerance (see my explanation on lactose intolerance above) is an autosomal recessive disorder. Primary lactose intolerance (normal progressive lactose intolerance) is also an autosomal recessive trait. Lactase persistence, aka "lactose tolerance", is inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. Lactase persistence is when lactase-production is maintained even into adulthood.

Also, as a bio major you should know that dominant doesn't = majority! A trait will not eventually become the majority just because it is autosomal dominant, simply due to population genetics and distribution. A good example is Huntington's disease, which is autosomal dominant. Onset is after age of reproduction. However, I think we can both agree that it will definitely not ever become present in the majority of people.

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic1270.htm

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
^^^ Don't worry. Mine is too. I thought the exact same thing.

Unsung, I never knew that about the King of Hearts.

What's so special about him?

Did the Queen MAKE him shave it off?

EDIT: That was at Schweppes

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
False. Mercury is the only transition metal that's liquid at room temperature, but two alkali metals (Cesium and Francium) are also liquid at room temperature.
Omg...OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG....

FALSE!!!!!!!!!!
Cesium and Francium both have melting points above room temperature(73 degrees). Francium's point is just above 80, and Cesium's is about 83. Atoms and elements, my specialty. Those Alkali metals also have very short half-lives and are highly radioactive.

Miharu

Smash Hero
An IQ (Intelligence Quotient) of ~100 is about average.

Higher than 146~150 places you in the "Gifted" range. Higher than 171~176 puts you on the intelligence level of a genius. Now for the other end of the spectrum. Less than 50~54 puts you at "********". A score less than 10~16 would make you a "Profound Moron". A score of under 4~10 would leave you classified as an "Idiot".

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ

The chart makes a mildly amusing read. I like their word choice.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Omg...OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG....

FALSE!!!!!!!!!!
Cesium and Francium both have melting points above room temperature(73 degrees). Francium's point is just above 80, and Cesium's is about 83. Atoms and elements, my specialty. Those Alkali metals also have very short half-lives and are highly radioactive.
I meant elements that are near room temperature. A difference of a few degrees is generally not that significant. Still, I suppose you win that fact battle! Nice work.

edit: what happened was that I just looked at my periodic table (yes, I keep one handy... so what?) and saw that Ce and Fr were also blue, like Hg, instead of checking all the melting temps.

Top Bottom