• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Anyways...On a more mathy note, every breath that you take contains at least 1 air molecule you've breathed before, guaranteed.
True. It was in Discover magazine:
http://discovermagazine.com/2006/jun/fuzzy-math

• The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria than a toilet. - (sorry no source for this one, but i know it's true
True. Here are sources:
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/793a64f7e86fa010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html
http://www.disinfecttoprotect.com/downloads/Office-Study.pdf

I'm sure someone else has already said this, but the strongest substance known to man are carbon nanotubes. It's strength-to-weight ratio (strength divided by its density) is 48,462 kN·m/kg, the best of any known substance. High carbon steel's strength-to-weight ratio is 154 kN·m/kg. Also, its tensile strength, (the mesurement of how much tension force must be applied before it breaks) is 63 GPa, while the high carbon steel's is 1.2 GPa. So in other words, it's an incredibly light substance that is incredibly strong. Although we have developed ways to string it together, and it's lightness and incredible durability make in valuable for space travel, we have yet to do so in large enough quantities to make it useful anywhere other than a laboratory.
Hasn't been mentioned before in this thread! Yeah, carbon nanotubes are definitely a cool area of research; it's an area of research that my former gen chem professor is somewhat involved in, he's studying the synthesis of polymeric compounds, including carbon nanotubes. My favorite carbon structure is the bucky ball! Very bad for the environment though, these things take a very very very very long time to degrade.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
FACT: I've checked almost 110 facts in this thread so far! I must have been really bored, but it was fun nonetheless.

FACT: The tallest mountain in the solar system, Olympus Mons, is on planet Mars.

FACT: We can actually see individual atoms with modern electron microscopes.

FACT: Taking aspirin during a heart attack can save your life!

FACT: Heroin, the drug, was originally used as cough medicine. It was discovered by Bayer pharmaceutical company.
http://pubs.acs.org/journals/pharmcent/company5.html

Agenie04991

Smash Cadet
FACT: We can actually see individual atoms with modern electron microscopes.
True. This one I think is pretty cool. Microscopes do in fact let people see these tiny objects and, if I'm not mistaken, Lithium (element 3) is the smallest atom they can currently see, and most likely will remain the smallest visible atom for quite some time. The problem with viewing anything smaller is that we cannot cool the atoms down (thereby slowing them to the point where we can see them) enough to actually get a good look.

FACT: Taking aspirin during a heart attack can save your life!
True. I think I did a poster on this for health class back in middle school. It seems that aspirin helps prevent the blood from clotting. In fact, taking aspirin regularly helps prevent heart attacks as well. Unfortunately, because aspirin inhibits clotting, it can be pretty nasty in the long run (stomach ulcers and whatnot).

Well, I guess GoldShadow's facts don't really need any checking, but I might as well throw in some extra info on them.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
If you drop a penny from the top of the empire state builing, (when it hits the ground) will embed itself in the concrete below.

Eating poppie seeds make you pass possitive on an alchohal test.

Penguins have an organ above their eyes that converts saltwater to freshwater.

If you put coke in an aluminum can, it will dissolve the can by a year.

Alfred Hitchcock (however you spell it) had no belly button.

Hundreds of injuries are caused by toilets every year.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
If you drop a penny from the top of the empire state builing, (when it hits the ground) will embed itself in the concrete below.

I dropped my gum from the top of the Empire State Building. I wonder what that did lol.

And Seinfeld equals life (and isn't it opium?)!!!!!!

My Interesting Fact:

In 1910 football teams were penalized 15 yards for an incompleted forward pass.

Lixivium

Smash Champion

Hundreds of injuries are caused by toilets every year.
Hey, wait a minute!

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
I suck at science and that, but wouldn't the penny hit max velocity and not hit hard enough to embed in the concrete below?

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Woot, back from Chelan. Anyway...

Assuming that gravity travels at the speed of light time moves just as fast
A golfball has enough nuclear energy to power every machine on earth for years to come

Handorin

Smash Hero
Err... source?
Time exists, but we humans came up with the term time as a way to express a rate of change. Time appears to elapse at different rates relative to different observers in motion relative to one another. Einstein showed that people traveling at different speeds will measure different times for events and different distances between objects, though these differences are minute unless one is traveling at a speed close to that of light.

Wikipedia/Physics class.

Im going to stop there because I'm not great at explaining and will probably butcher it and make it confusing.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I think it went goes like this: Since gravity is assumed to be a 'slant' in time(imagine marble resting on a suspended rag, all of their movements would be affected by the slant created by the others), the speed of gravity would be equal to as fast as the time moving around that object.

I can't remember where I read it, but it all matches up pretty well

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Somewhat True. Poppy seeds produce a false positive on tests for opiates, not alcohol, for up to 48 hours after consumption.
http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/poppyseed.asp

True. Some birds, including penguins, have what's known as a supraorbital gland that filters water swallowed by the bird when it opens its mouth to catch prey. It functions much like a kidney, and removes excess salt from the bird's blood.
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9054891/nasal-gland#100625.hook
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supraorbital_gland

Somewhat True. Theoretically, the carbonic acid in Coca-Cola will oxidize the aluminum metal according to the reaction: 3H2CO3 (aq) + Al (s) --> Al2(CO3)3 (aq) + H2 (g)
However, commercially manufactured soda cans are coated in a thin plastic material that prevents them from being corroded; additionally, the acid content of coke itself is very low.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_222a.html
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

False. Everybody has a belly button. It is physically, anatomically, physiologically, and medically impossible to be born without one, as it provides nutrients from the placenta that allows the fetus to live and grow. Most likely, he may have had some kind of abdominal surgery where his navel was removed, technically making him "belly-buttonless".

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Can you confirm these Silvershade?

"Coke can dissolve a tooth in a few days."
"State Troopers carry a jug of coca cola to wash away blood. ( I saw the Mythbusters with this one :))"

Handorin

Smash Hero
And I want him to research "Assuming that gravity travels at the speed of light time moves just as fast." Cause I know it is not true, I just want someone a lot smarter than me to put it in better wording.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Lol, I love using the golfball one. A single atom contains enough nuclear energy to kill several several hundred people, correct? A golfball contains probably at least one-hundred quadrillion atoms in it(i'm too lazy to do the math). That's a LOT of nuclear energy.

@Handorin, General Relativity states gravity is due to the space time curve, which so if something is traveling as fast as gravity it is traveling as fast as the space time curve. Also something to back this up is that if something travels faster than the speed of light t travels backwards in time.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Lol, I love using the golfball one. A single atom contains enough nuclear energy to kill several several hundred people, correct? A golfball contains probably at least one-hundred quadrillion atoms in it(i'm too lazy to do the math). That's a LOT of nuclear energy.
Your understanding of physics is juvenile.

A single atom really DOESN'T contain that much nuclear energy. Let's say you have one hydrogen atom:

1 kgmol of hydrogen = 6.02 e23 atoms
1 atom of hydrogen = 1/(6.02 e23) = 1.66 e-24 kg

E = mc^2
E = (1.66 e-24 kg) * (3 e8 m/s)^2
E = 1.495 e-7 joules

That's one ten millionth of a joule. It takes 4.128 joules to heat a gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. Hardly enough to "kill several hundred people".

Besides, what you're saying only makes sense if the atom in question is capable of undergoing a nuclear reaction that releases its energy. There is no process to "magically" convert a golf ball into pure energy, unless you collided it with an anti-golf ball.

Your "interesting fact" is neither a fact nor interesting.

@Handorin, General Relativity states gravity is due to the space time curve, which so if something is traveling as fast as gravity it is traveling as fast as the space time curve. Also something to back this up is that if something travels faster than the speed of light t travels backwards in time.
True, Relativity predicts that the EFFECTS of gravity cannot travel faster than light, but there is no evidence that if something travelled faster than light it would move backwards in time. Relativity postulates that NOTHING can travel faster than light, therefore you have no basis to make that statement.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Your understanding of physics is juvenile.

A single atom really DOESN'T contain that much nuclear energy. Let's say you have one hydrogen atom:

1 kgmol of hydrogen = 6.02 e23 atoms
1 atom of hydrogen = 1/(6.02 e23) = 1.66 e-24 kg

E = mc^2
E = (1.66 e-24 kg) * (3 e8 m/s)^2
E = 1.495 e-7 joules

That's one ten millionth of a joule. It takes 4.128 joules to heat a gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. Hardly enough to "kill several hundred people".

Besides, what you're saying only makes sense if the atom in question is capable of undergoing a nuclear reaction that releases its energy. There is no process to "magically" convert a golf ball into pure energy, unless you collided it with an anti-golf ball.

Your "interesting fact" is neither a fact nor interesting.
Scientists can turn atoms into pure energy, one atom at a time. The problem is it isn't worth the effort, time and money. I said it contains enough energy, not that we were going to harness it. I think you just misinterpreted.

True, Relativity predicts that the EFFECTS of gravity cannot travel faster than light, but there is no evidence that if something travelled faster than light it would move backwards in time. Relativity postulates that NOTHING can travel faster than light, therefore you have no basis to make that statement.
Seen the new topic about German scientists? It's an interesting read

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Can you confirm these Silvershade?
Sure thing Burgundy Monarch!
"Coke can dissolve a tooth in a few days."
False. Coke simply is not acidic enough to dissolve a tooth in just a couple days. In fact, you'd see more damage from dissolving something in orange juice than in coke.
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

"State Troopers carry a jug of coca cola to wash away blood. ( I saw the Mythbusters with this one :))"
False. Coke won't clean up blood any better than water! If I were a state trooper, I'd carry a jug of coca cola to quench my thirst.
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

False. Handorin is right about this. Time is not so much something that has a constant speed (like light), but rather it is a dimension. A coordinate. This is what the whole concept of the "space-time continuum" tries to get at; that we have four dimensions. Three of them are "space", that is: x, y and z. And then we have time, which is nothing more than a "fourth coordinate". Time as we use it on earth is a man-made measure, and we generally use seconds to measure it. One second is arbitrarily chosen to be "the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom."
Time on a universal scale is also relative. Just like the x, y, and z coordinates are relative to the fixed point of reference (in other words, two different people in the universe might choose two very different frames of reference, meaning they'd have totally different coordinate planes), the time coordinate is relative to how fast you are moving. In other words, time is less of a force like gravity and electromagnetism, and more of a coordinate.
Of course, it is still affected by gravity and electromagnetism (which in turn affect each other as well); but time itself does not have some fixed speed like you say.
At the least, I couldn't find a single source that agreed with what you had to say.
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/leapsec.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second#Historical_origin
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00117.htm
http://van.physics.uiuc.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1361
http://van.physics.uiuc.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1403
http://van.physics.uiuc.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1365

I'm going to address your "golfball nuclear energy" thing in just a few minutes.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Wait, but something going faster than the speed of light breaks the time barrier. I understand it's a dimension, but how can something go backwards in time if time doesn't have a speed? You know what, I'm done with this one, it's too long for me to study up on

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Scientists can turn atoms into pure energy, one atom at a time. The problem is it isn't worth the effort, time and money. I said it contains enough energy, not that we were going to harness it. I think you just misinterpreted.
Here's the problem: you DON'T know that it contains enough energy. You just kind of guesstimate that it would.

It'd be like saying "Falco&Victory contains enough energy to boil a pot of water if we used him as firewood". Certainly we COULD set you on fire, but it may only be enough to heat a pot of water by 5 degrees.

It's an inaccurate, generalized statement that's really not interesting at all.

LOL, don't start spouting off stuff you don't know. Quantum tunneling has been known about for a long time. At the quantum level, very strange things start to happen that seemingly violate Relativity, but it is at such a small scale, completely opposite that of Relativity, that it's meaningless to compare the two.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Wow, you seem to be judging me over the internet. For your information, I could easily boil a pot of water if it wasn't for the fact that i am almost completely made of water.

You believe it when Einstein says something faster than the speed of light would travel backwards in time, but not when I say it? How could you *sniff*
Seriously though, it is a widely accepted notion

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Wow, you seem to be judging me over the internet. For your information, I could easily boil a pot of water if it wasn't for the fact that i am almost completely made of water.

You believe it when Einstein says something faster than the speed of light would travel backwards in time, but not when I say it? How could you *sniff*
O RLY?

Please show me where Einstein has stated this. Or give me an example of this happening, where something travelled faster than light and actually went back in time.

You're darn right I'm judging you. Face it, you're talking out of your butt about stuff you only have vague notions of. Stop digging yourself deeper.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Einstein stated it is impossible, in any instance, for something to surpass the speed of light. However, no matter how it happens, if the speed of light is broken then Einstein's theory is obsolete.

"Gravity is the curvature of time-space. Like velocity, it also affects the "rate of time". Einstein's special theory of relativity was published in 1905, and is the theory demonstrated in the example above. In 1915, Einstein published his general theory of relativity which included the effects of gravitation and acceleration. Einstein (1879-1955) is more famous for relating energy to mass in his formula:
E = mc2
His greatest achievement, however, is in discovering the true nature of our universe by way of pure imagination! His own quote is "Imagination is more important than knowledge".

"Rate of time". It means that time does not elapse infinitely fast. You're right though, I was a bit vague in my descriptions. It's a flaw of mine that I assume other people know exactly what I was implying.

EDIT: Read around this page a bit, it explains it way better
http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/timefact.htm

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Einstein stated it is impossible, in any instance, for something to surpass the speed of light. However, no matter how it happens, if the speed of light is broken then Einstein's theory is obsolete.
Guess what? We already KNOW that Relativity doesn't work, at quantum scales. A lot of weird and counter-intuitive things, like the tunneling phenomenon talked about in that article, happen there that can't be explained by Relativity.

This does NOT make Relativity "obsolete", any more than Einstein made Newton's theories "obsolete", even though lot of things happen at Relativistic scale/speeds that isn't explained by Newtonian mechanics.

I have still yet to see any proof, or valid argument, that something moving faster than light would travel backwards in time.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
A golfball has enough nuclear energy to power every machine on earth for years to come
False. Absolutely, positively, a thousand times false. Where do you get the idea that a single atom contains enough "nuclear energy" to kill hundreds of people? That makes absolutely no sense.
Lixvium's calculations were only slightly off; The molar mass of atoms is measured in grams, not kilograms. So the mass of one hydrogen atom converted to pure energy would be about 1.5e-10 Joules, not 1.5e-7. In other words, 1000 times less. Not that it makes a huge difference, because it's already so small anyway, like Lixvium explained!

Second of all, you seem to have a misunderstanding of what "nuclear energy" is. There are a few things you could be referring to: strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus together. Part of this is binding energy; and the concept of binding energy (and mass defect) is what explains other sources of nuclear energy: nuclear fusion and nuclear fission.
Let's first look at fission, which is what we currently use in nuclear reactors. For nuclear fission to take place, you need atoms with HEAVY nuclei, like Uranium-235. Unless it's a uranium golf ball, the golf ball is just not going to have much fissile energy, if any. To cause it to split, you need to add a neutron to the nuclide; this makes it unstable, and causes it to split into two smaller nuclides and also release a lot of energy and a couple of neutrons. These released neutrons then collide with other Uranium-235 nuclides and cause the same thing to happen; as long as you have enough uranium for more neutrons to collide with (the critical mass) you can keep the chain reaction going. That's how a nuclear reactor works.
Now, a golf ball weighs about 46g, and 1g of Uranium-235 can release 80 million kilojoules of energy; so a golf ball of uranium could produce 3680 million kJ of fissile energy; definitely a ton of energy, but not as much as you're claiming.

Then, there's nuclear fusion, which is how the sun keeps running. For nuclear fusion, you need some light nuclides (like hydrogen), and very high temperatures. On the order of 100,000,000 degrees C (ie, around 180,000,000 degrees F). And of course, everything at such high temperatures exists as plasma, which is an ionic gaseous phase to put it simply. And it'd be pretty **** hard to make a golf ball out of plasmic pure hydrogen at 180,000,000 degrees F. A normal golf ball simply doesn't have the fusile energy. When two nuclei fuse, they lose some mass, which is converted to pure energy (equal to the "binding energy"... the amount of energy it takes to bind the two atoms together). This is how two hydrogen atoms fuse to form a helium atom.
A hydrogen bomb works by first using a fission reaction to create a super-high temperature for a fraction of a second, enough to set off a fusion reaction. Of course, this energy is not controlled; it's explosive. We don't have the technology to use fusion for our energy needs.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/ImranArif.shtml
http://www.usga.org/aboutus/usga_history/1931_1950.html
http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch23/fission.php
http://science.howstuffworks.com/nuclear-power4.htm

False, false, false! Scientists cannot turn atoms into pure energy. Through thermonuclear and thermodynamic reactions, we can create chemical reactions in which some mass is converted to energy; but we can't turn whole atoms into pure energy.

It is interesting, but it's up to interpretation. The "faster than light" thing is relative; depending on how you interpret it, Einstein's theory was not broken.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
As objects approach the speed of light, their "rate of time" (calculated by others) approaches zero, and distances (travelled by the object) approach zero, and their mass (as measured by an observer) increases

I'm done with this argument, It's not getting anywhere anyway, i'm posting more facts

The center of a super massive black hole is the size of a spec of dust. But, that spec of dust weighs 3 million times more than our sun. There was also an expired super nova that weighed one billion pounds per teaspoon.

If ribbon worms can't find any food, they will eat themselves.

A lump of pure gold the size of a matchbox can be flattened into a sheet the size of a tennis court.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
False, false, false! Scientists cannot turn atoms into pure energy. Through thermonuclear and thermodynamic reactions, we can create chemical reactions in which some mass is converted to energy; but we can't turn whole atoms into pure energy.
Combining a hydrogen atom with an anti-hydrogen atom essentially converts it to pure energy. Although, as far as I know, we have yet to create an anti-golf ball.

With his rudimentary knowledge of physics, he's basically saying that a golf ball is EQUIVALENT to a large amount of energy. And that's true, all matter is equivalent to some amount of energy, according to E = mc^2.

But it's a meaningless statement. It's like saying "Falco&Victory is worth enough money to buy three cheeseburgers."

cF=) said:
Falco&Victory vs Lixivium reminds me of Duke vs snex.
I think we need Falco&Victory to start giving sources for his "facts".

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I believe time is considered a scalar quantity, not vector. If you were moving backward, then the magnitude of the "rate of time" would be negative (aka, imaginary time).

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Combining a hydrogen atom with an anti-hydrogen atom essentially converts it to pure energy. Although, as far as I know, we have yet to create an anti-golf ball.

With his rudimentary knowledge of physics, he's basically saying that a golf ball is EQUIVALENT to a large amount of energy. And that's true, all matter is equivalent to some amount of energy, according to E = mc^2.

But it's a meaningless statement. It's like saying "Falco&Victory is worth enough money to buy three cheeseburgers."
Yeah, exactly. Lix is on the ball!

Come on F&V, don't be that guy. You know, the guy who has a lot of interest in science but refuses to believe that his 9th grade level of knowledge and education is infallible.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I am infallible. It's probably more like 7th grade physics, my school has a horrible science program. I learned about cells in 8th grade, while my friend from a hill-billy state learned it in 5th grade.

It wouldn't have to be an anti-golf ball(which I will create to show you all!!!), just a form of anti-matter.
I'm working more in theory here than anything else, but I am worth at LEAST 9 cheeseburgers.

Um... I'm suffering... jet lag... ****
Sorry for being ignorant and arrogant and an @$$... I have to pull out one of these apologies every so often(like when my BROTHER GOT ME BANNED....TWICE)

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I am infallible. It's probably more like 7th grade physics, my school has a horrible science program. I learned about cells in 8th grade, while my friend from a hill-billy state learned it in 5th grade.

It wouldn't have to be an anti-golf ball(which I will create to show you all!!!), just a form of anti-matter.
I'm working more in theory here than anything else, but I am worth at LEAST 9 cheeseburgers.

Um... I'm suffering... jet lag... ****
Sorry for being ignorant and arrogant and an @$$... I have to pull out one of these apologies every so often(like when my BROTHER GOT ME BANNED....TWICE)
Don't take it so hard. At least you're interested in science; that's more than you can say for a lot of people on the internets. Just recognize that science is more complex and fascinating than you're giving it credit for.

A little knowledge is good, but a lot of knowledge is better.

Top Bottom