• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
fluffy said:
see, all this science killed the thread :(
Fluffy, you have never been more right.

Remember, this thread is for INTERESTING facts. And last time I checked this was not interesting:

Newton's 3rd law: Anytime you exert a force on something, it exerts a force back on you.

F = m * a (though technically this equation is a lie)

When you have a force, you cause it to accelerate (assuming you break static friction).

Therefore any net force on any object will cause it to accelerate (and thus move) regardless of the relative sizes of the two objects, ie: You and the Earth
Waddle Dee has appeared in every Kirby game. Waddle Doo has been in everyone besides Air Ride.

Flamingos must tip their heads upside-down to swallow.

Jammer

Smash Lord
FACT: ArtieBoy is liar.

Nothing moves at the speed of light. Except light.

Not even electrons can move at the speed of light, although they can pretty close.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Well, perhaps if so many of the interesting "facts" were not so scientifically accurate, the science in this thread wouldn't be needed!

Also, if it weren't for all the science (see about 90% of this thread) this thread would have died a long time ago; the science stuff is precisely what kept it alive. In fact...

Flamingos must tip their heads upside-down to swallow.
False. Flamingos hold their heads upside down in the water while feeding to trap their food; but they don't need to tip their heads upside down to swallow. Significant difference.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
GoldShadow, a little science is good; false facts should be pointed out as so. However, we don't need extensive equations proving them false. They frighten away most people, including myself. :(

Heh, I just remembered that flamingo thing off of my head, I knew it had something to do with feeding...

Rome had running water.

The moon isn't made out of cheese, contrary to popular belief.

The first time the word 'hell' was spoken on television was on Star Trek (I think...)

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The moon isn't made out of cheese, contrary to popular belief.

The first time the word 'hell' was spoken on television was on Star Trek (I think...)
Who actually believes the moon is made of cheese?

FACT: Star Trek featured the first interracial kiss on television.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
wait, wtf is the moon made out of then?

the term i^2 ('i' is an imaginary number) is expressed as -1
ooooooooh

base 10 is the stupidest thing ever and we should all count in hexadecimals

Rex+

Smash Ace
In 2004, a five year-old girl in Florida (I think) was charged by a police officer for not having a permit for her lemonade stand.
Talk about injustice...

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
FACT: ArtieBoy is liar.

Nothing moves at the speed of light. Except light.

Not even electrons can move at the speed of light, although they can pretty close.
lol it was just a joke.
but
FACT: MY ARMS FLAP 74.4 TIMES CAUSING ME TO FLY AND FLY BACKWARDS:psycho:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Fact: I have a useless facts book

Fact: There is not naturally made food that is blue, Blueberries are actualy purple.

Fact: The Halo Series has earned enough money to buy Switzerland(sp?). (yes, it is true XD, you will probably not find any way to disprove this)

Jammer

Smash Lord
Hehe, ArtieBoy, I know it was a joke. Sorry; I was joking, too, but I have a trouble making it obviously, and we all know that when you're on the internet, people take what you say more seriously (mostly because you can't have a stupid grin while you're saying it, which is how I usually got across the fact that I'm being facetious).

In New York state, it is against the law to initiate a conversation with a stranger in an elevator.

Man, I've done that many times.

ugh money to buy Switzerland(sp?). (yes, it is true XD, you will probably not find any way to disprove this)
Buy Switzerland? How the [bad word] do you buy a [another bad word] country?

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Hehe, ArtieBoy, I know it was a joke. Sorry; I was joking, too, but I have a trouble making it obviously, and we all know that when you're on the internet, people take what you say more seriously (mostly because you can't have a stupid grin while you're saying it, which is how I usually got across the fact that I'm being facetious).

In New York state, it is against the law to initiate a conversation with a stranger in an elevator.

Man, I've done that many times.

Buy Switzerland? How the [bad word] do you buy a [another bad word] country?
i never knew that.
and i kinda knew that you knew that i was jokeing. but thats something i cant point out.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
In Napa Valley, California, resides a middle school who expelled a girl for wearing socks that didn't conform to the uniform code. The criminal act? Wearing pink socks with Winne The Pooh. The socks, of course, were not visible by any means, even if you looked at her foot with her skirt drawn up.

How did they know? Someone snitched on her while changing for P.E.

Sometimes people go to far.

fluffy

Smash Champion
Do you have a source for that? I live in New York state and this just totally blew my mind.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
I always thought a machine that could record our dreams, to be played back on video, would be completely awesome.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
Possibly terrifying depending on what happens. Ever have those dreams where you get so scared that you wake up screaming, but forgot why?

I would probably delete those and not look at 'em, haha.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
I never wake up screaming, just shaking and terrified/paranoid for a while.

Best101

Smash Ace

Remember, this thread is for INTERESTING facts. And last time I checked this was not interesting:
What can be more interesting than science:laugh:

Ok, time to put more science in this thread =p

Fact: Newton's E=MC^2 equation could be wrong. Huge Super Nova explosions in the far distance of the universe perplex scientist. The energy (forgot the name of it) from the explosions hit Earth faster that it should've and it could challenge that equation

Fact: Huge objects in space distorts space itself

I'll be back with more whenever I feel like it :chuckle:

Jammer

Smash Lord
Fact: Newton's E=MC^2 equation could be wrong.
FACT: Newton was did not make the E=mc^2 equation. That was Albert Einstein, Einstein.

Also, the "Huge objects in space distort space itself" part of your post is on slippery ground. It's hard to say that things that are mostly just helpful tools for understanding something (i.e., massive objects bend space) are facts. They're more just helpful tools for understanding relativity.

Do you have a source for that? I live in New York state and this just totally blew my mind.
No, sorry. I just remembered it. Normally I'd go Google a source up, but I'm too lazy. And I have acid reflux. So I won't.

RizardoLawless

Smash Journeyman
I heard from a friend that one of the snapple facts states that 50% of the snapple facts are false

Dunno if its true or not

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
Someone once told me that you would get less wet if you walked outside in the rain rather than ran in it. I'm not actually sure if it's true, though.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I heard from a friend that one of the snapple facts states that 50% of the snapple facts are false

Dunno if its true or not
Definitely true. If you go through this thread, I bet half the facts I disproved were Snapple facts :laugh:

Someone once told me that you would get less wet if you walked outside in the rain rather than ran in it. I'm not actually sure if it's true, though.
Probably not true, just thinking about it intuitively.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Probably not true, just thinking about it intuitively.
Actually, that makes sense.

Presuming the rain is falling straight down, if you walk it would land almost exclusively on the top of your head and your shoulders, and perhaps the front of your legs when you lift them up to walk. If you run, the rain is essentially coming at your at an angle, so it would get your entire front wet, as well as your head and shoulders. Plus, you might kick up puddles, so that could get the lower part of your legs wetter too.

Of course, the original claim is a little too broad to be completely true, but there is a strong element of truth to it.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
That would depend on the angle from which the rain fell. I think ideally, you'd want to walk such that you are moving at the same horizontal speed as the rain moves, that way you are not running into more rain in front of you.

Colino

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrColino
That would depend on the angle from which the rain fell. I think ideally, you'd want to walk such that you are moving at the same horizontal speed as the rain moves, that way you are not running into more rain in front of you.

exactly what I was about to say, I actually debated ALOT aboutthis since the town I go to school in is one of the rainiest places in europe! XD

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I believe they once tested it on Mythbusters and they found out that you'll get less wet if you walk instead of running. But I haven't seen that show, so I'm questioning how they've tested that.

Also, when you walk, you'll be longer in the rain, so more drops will fall down on you.

Geist

Smash Master
the titanic took 3 hours to sink. >.>

pearl harbor was shorter in real life than the movie.

cockroaches can survive 3 days without a head.

two wrongs dont make a right but 3 rights make a left.

Lightning does strike the same place twice. the empire state building gets hit over 2000 times a year

light has no mass, yet it cant escape a black hole's gravity.

Vlad the vampire was based off of a transylvanian prince nicknamed vlad the impailer. his favorite method of killing- he liked to stab his enemies through their hearts and drink their blood.

eating a poppy seed bagel before a drug test can make you test positive for heroin.

walking in the rain makes you more wet, because running doesnt make it rain slower. its consistant over a large distance, and falls at a faster speed than you can run. there also is no measurment of wetness.

eating less is a cure for obesity.

you eat about 2 spiders every year as you sleep.

deisel engines are more economic than gasoline engines.

the golden gate bridge is constantly being painted. when they finish, they have to start all over again.

koala bears are not bears.

bottled watter contains trace amounts of arsenic.

paper does not grow on trees, its 15% cotton.

100% of all people cant lick their elbow, and 45% of all people will try this after hearing it.

einstein had trouble tying his shoes.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - the fear of long words.

fingernails and hair continue to grow after you die.

pikachu weighs more than fox, and mario is 3 feet tall, according to smash bros melee. pikachu is less than knee height in pokedex, is half the height of mewtwo in melee, wheras mewtwo is 6 feet 7 inches in pokedex. mewtwo is roughly as tall as ganondorf in melee
yet ganondorf is twice as tall as link in OaT, and link is the same height as mario in melee. Mario is 3 feet 1 inches, meaning he is about twice as short as mewtwo. measured in melee, and compared to mario, link is roughly 3.9 feet. making ganondorf 7.8 feet tall.
wtf >.>?!?! (weights and heights checked in homerun contest and the mario land stage.)

docter marios taunt can be reversed with mario's or doc's cape, but his pill that he taunts with does not reverse.

Life Ruiner

Smash Apprentice
pikachu weighs more than fox, and mario is 3 feet tall, according to smash bros melee. pikachu is less than knee height in pokedex, is half the height of mewtwo in melee, wheras mewtwo is 6 feet 7 inches in pokedex. mewtwo is roughly as tall as ganondorf in melee
yet ganondorf is twice as tall as link in OaT, and link is the same height as mario in melee. Mario is 3 feet 1 inches, meaning he is about twice as short as mewtwo. measured in melee, and compared to mario, link is roughly 3.9 feet. making ganondorf 7.8 feet tall.
wtf >.>?!?! (weights and heights checked in homerun contest and the mario land stage.)
Lol, holy shoot.

Top Bottom