• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
Woops, nevermind.

EDIT: I realised this post was going to waste.

It is now dedicated to my hate of Falco&Victory.

Jammer

Smash Lord
The fear of long words is Sesquipedalophobia.
No! I specifically posted a post warning people not to say this a while back. That is a made-up phobia.

This was post #643 in this thread:

Before someone says it, Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is not really the fear of long words.

Self-referencing humor it may have, but Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is a made up word. Translated, it means "the fear of big montrous foot-and-half long words". Which is, of course, a little over the top.
Not a real phobia. You can be afraid of long words (who isn't), but you can't have it diagnosed as Susquipedalophobia. That phobia is a joke.

Also, sorry for being really mean just now.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
A cockroach can live up to 9 days without it's head. It only dies because it can't eat.

This thread's too long for me to check if anyone else posted that.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Sorry, guys, not quite.

It has a brain inside its head, not its body.

The nerve net throughout its body is enough to maintain bodily functions and react to stimuli. A headless cockroach will run if you disturb the tiny hairs on its back, but it won't walk around searching for food. Its pretty much only reacts to stuff like how your leg jerks when the doctor taps your knee.

And it doesn't bleed because its circulatory system is vastly different from a human's. In fact, its circulatory system is practically nonexistent.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Woops, nevermind.

EDIT: I realised this post was going to waste.

It is now dedicated to my hate of Falco&Victory.
WTF Hax

The comet Apophilus has a 1 in 37 chance of hitting earth in 2029; it's playing roulette with our lives

Black holes AREN'T made of mass; they are a warp in space time caused usually by high space-time tension(often gravity) that obliterates all matter in the center where space-time is warped an infinite amount. Also, time is actually slowed around teh fringes...zords

Best101

Smash Ace
Aw, that's still not his fault. I doubt he knows SI unit for mass. The only thing he's familiar with is tons. I guess the important thing is that it's the correct number, which it is.
SI Units for mass is grams

Since I'm on the Wii I'll address the other problems later on tomorrow. Takes too long type on the Wii

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
A cockroach can live up to 9 days without it's head. It only dies because it can't eat.

This thread's too long for me to check if anyone else posted that.
Can someone explain to me how a cockroach can do that? I always hear about that, but I never understood how.
True. I addressed that in this previous post:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=2708197#post2708197

With this link for more info:
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/cockroach_faq.html

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Sorry, guys, not quite.

It has a brain inside its head, not its body.

The nerve net throughout its body is enough to maintain bodily functions and react to stimuli. A headless cockroach will run if you disturb the tiny hairs on its back, but it won't walk around searching for food. Its pretty much only reacts to stuff like how your leg jerks when the doctor taps your knee.

Animal planet lied.

I knew the Discovery Channel was the only reliable source of information.

Also, if the entire Chinese population walked infront of you signle file, the line would enver end because of the repoduction rate.

Edit: Also, the polar bear's fur is actualy translucent, not white.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Animal planet lied.

I knew the Discovery Channel was the only reliable source of information.

Also, if the entire Chinese population walked infront of you signle file, the line would enver end because of the repoduction rate.
that says nothing to how fast they move. If it was 3 mph, then that's true. But who the hell would line the chinese up in a line, unless to make chinese food?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Yes, but you have the time frame off a bit. A headless cockroach can survive for several weeks, not just 9 days.

But who the hell would line the chinese up in a line, unless to make chinese food?
Um, if I could line up the Chinese people, I would do it. You don't really need a reason for stuff like that.

Best101

Smash Ace
(AltF4 still avoiding his 1000th post. Expect it soon. It's gonna be cool)

Dude, Best:

-Calculating the weight of the Earth is kind of silly. In space it has no weight. It weighs zero tons. But you could say something like "if it were in a gravitational field one 1 g" maybe. But that doesn't mean that's how much it weighs
The Earth has weight man. You can't just push the Earth and it'll go flying. Since you can't push it then obviously there's a force acting on it. You must send a force greater than the opposite force pushing back against you when you try and move the Earth. I'm not totally sure that that proves my point about the Earth's weight or not, but what's your view on it?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Yeah, we know, Best101. AltF4 is just being anal about the difference between weight and mass.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
The red food color is usually made from bugs. The only time two democratic nations have declared war on each other was in 1939 when Great Britain declared war on Finland for declaring war on Soviet Union. Michael Jackson didn't invent moonwalk. There was no word for blue in ancient Greek. The Earth has at least four moons. The kilt wasn't invented in Scotland, nor was haggis. World's longest palindrome word (a word that is the same backwards) is 'saippuakauppias', which is Finnish and means 'a soap seller'.

Watch Qi (BBC). It's brilliant.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Just so you know, the facts in QI (I saw some of it on youtube) aren't really that true. They just find things that could be interesting, distort it so it's even more interesting, and say it's true. For example, that show says that the Earth has two moons. The second "moon" isn't really a moon at all, but just a celestial body that does some weird gravity stuff with Earth (I'm not sure what it really is).

You definitely shouldn't get your facts from QI.

Handorin

Smash Hero
The Earth has weight man. You can't just push the Earth and it'll go flying. Since you can't push it then obviously there's a force acting on it. You must send a force greater than the opposite force pushing back against you when you try and move the Earth. I'm not totally sure that that proves my point about the Earth's weight or not, but what's your view on it?
The Earth has lots of mass. Weight is just the mass * the gravitational pull. To send the Earth somewhere else, you have to exert a force greater than the Earth is moving and than the sun is pulling on earth. So you need to find out how much gravitational pull is on the Earth first.

Haruka's DNA

Smash Cadet
(Still ALtF4 here:)

Okay, okay. Let me set it all straight. Someone asks you the question: "How much do you weigh?"

That question is asking "How much force does the Earth pull on you due to your mass?" Usually we just go ahead and say "I weigh 150 lbs" or whatever. But this is not strictly true. This is the equation for gravitational force:

F = G m1 m2 / r

F = the force exerted between the two objects
G = the universal gravitational constant
m1 = the mass of object 1
m2 = the mass of object 2
r = the distance between the two objects

You can see that the force (your weight) depends on several different factors, and is not one single value.

FACT: You weigh less at the top of a skyscraper than you do on the road below.

Why? Because of the "r" in the equation. The greater the distance between the two objects (Earth and yourself) the weaker the force.

In order to even talk about weight, however, you need to have 2 objects. When we talk about an object's "weight" we are implicitly using the Earth as the second object. So you can that it is senseless to speak of the Earth's weight in this regard.

What your number for the Earth's "weight" is trying to say is: "If the Earth were in a location such that the distance away from another object is identical to an object resting on Earth, it would have a weight of: ####"

But obviously the Earth is not in that situation, and so it does not have that weight. The Earth does have mass however.

Handorin:

No, any force, no matter how small, will move an object of any mass. Every time you jump, the Earth exerts a force on you, which makes you move upward. But you are also exerting a force back onto the Earth. (Newton's third law) You do in fact push the Earth away from you by a small amount.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Okay, I have found an awesome video that introduces you to string theory. It's only 2 minutes long, but it gets the basic idea across.

Watch it here on youtube.

I'm not an expert on String Theory, but I know a bit. I'm sure some other people know it, too. So ask if you have questions.

Best101

Smash Ace

Okay, okay. Let me set it all straight. Someone asks you the question: "How much do you weigh?"

That question is asking "How much force does the Earth pull on you due to your mass?" Usually we just go ahead and say "I weigh 150 lbs" or whatever. But this is not strictly true. This is the equation for gravitational force:

F = G m1 m2 / r

F = the force exerted between the two objects
G = the universal gravitational constant
m1 = the mass of object 1
m2 = the mass of object 2
r = the distance between the two objects
Mass 1=Earth
Mass 2=Sun
Distance b/w two masses at one point = about 90 million miles
G? how compare two objects with two different gravitational pulls

Well at least I had gave that a good shot.

But here's another point I got though. The Earth spinning (or moving I get mixed up) at a rate of 1037 1/3 MPH. Astronauts use machines to spin themselves around really fast to simulate gravity therefore giving them weight. With the Earth's huge mass and the rate that it is spinning and also the fact that it revolves around the sun (another huge component that could give it weight) must give it some kind of weight.

Handorin:

No, any force, no matter how small, will move an object of any mass. Every time you jump, the Earth exerts a force on you, which makes you move upward. But you are also exerting a force back onto the Earth. (Newton's third law) You do in fact push the Earth away from you by a small amount.
Well I wouldn't say that you move the Earth everytime you move. Humans can't exert a force strong enough to move the Earth

Jammer

Smash Lord
Well I wouldn't say that you move the Earth everytime you move. Humans can't exert a force strong enough to move the Earth
Sure we can. We just don't move it very far.

There isn't some set amount of force it takes to move the earth. Just like a perfectly spherical bowling ball on a perfectly flat surface: an ant could move it around if it wanted to.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
FACT: It's possible to lead a cow upstairs, but not downstairs.

FACT: A kangaroo cannot jump if its tail is off the ground.

FACT: Pound for pound, hamburgers cost more than new cars

FACT: I miss GoldShadow, too.

Haruka's DNA

Smash Cadet
FACT: NASA launches space shuttles in Florida because it is the closest part of the continental US to the equator. Being closer to the equator saves a substantial amount of fuel because you are using the Earth's rotational force to help push you off.

Best101 said:
Mass 1=Earth
Mass 2=Sun
Distance b/w two masses at one point = about 90 million miles
G? how compare two objects with two different gravitational pulls
You haven't taken any physics courses have you? G is the universal gravitational constant. It is 6.67300 × 10^-11 m^3 kg-^1 s^-2 always no matter what two objects. (in our universe...)

Besides, I don't think that the earth's weight in relation to the sun was what you intended when you initially posted your "fact", though you could easily find that number.

Also, every time you jump, you do push the Earth below you. Again, high school physics here.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
But here's another point I got though. The Earth spinning (or moving I get mixed up) at a rate of 1037 1/3 MPH. Astronauts use machines to spin themselves around really fast to simulate gravity therefore giving them weight. With the Earth's huge mass and the rate that it is spinning and also the fact that it revolves around the sun (another huge component that could give it weight) must give it some kind of weight.
This is caused by the centripetal force due to rotation... when a force interacts with a mass, it causes it to accelerate. In this case, the acceleration can mimic the acceleration due to gravity.

Like the others have shown, you do move the earth.

It's great that you've got an interest in physics and science, but you'd best leave the physics facts and proofs to the rest of these guys that are physics gurus!

FACT: I miss Goldshadow disproving.
FACT: I miss GoldShadow, too.
:(:(:( Thanks guys I wish I could spend more time here, so I'm trying to poke my head in from time to time :):):)

Best101

Smash Ace
FACT: NASA launches space shuttles in Florida because it is the closest part of the continental US to the equator. Being closer to the equator saves a substantial amount of fuel because you are using the Earth's rotational force to help push you off.

You haven't taken any physics courses have you? G is the universal gravitational constant. It is 6.67300 × 10^-11 m^3 kg-^1 s^-2 always no matter what two objects. (in our universe...)

Besides, I don't think that the earth's weight in relation to the sun was what you intended when you initially posted your "fact", though you could easily find that number.

Also, every time you jump, you do push the Earth below you. Again, high school physics here.
I'm taking Ap Physics in High School right now, but I'm only 9 weeks into school right now anyway. We haven't gotten that far into gravity yet so I didn't know about that. I understand Newton's Laws but why does the Earth move everytime what jump? Do we acelerate the Earth's spin if we walk with it and do we decelerate the Earth spin if we walk against it.

@GoldShadow: Doesn't the acceleration due to gravity cause weight? Isn't that why you'll weigh more on other planets than you do on Earth

Jammer

Smash Lord
I understand Newton's Laws but why does the Earth move everytime what jump? Do we acelerate the Earth's spin if we walk with it and do we decelerate the Earth spin if we walk against it.
The answer to your second (and third) question is "YES".

In fact, you can slow the Earth's spin if you're in the northern hemisphere just by spinning counterclockwise in place. See this xkcd comic. If you're Australian, you need to spin clockwise.

I don't know how to explain the answer to your first question if you don't see it already. I suppose it will eventually become clear (if anyone else wants to take a crack at it, be my guest).

Haruka's DNA

Smash Cadet
I understand Newton's Laws but why does the Earth move everytime what jump? Do we acelerate the Earth's spin if we walk with it and do we decelerate the Earth spin if we walk against it.
Newton's 3rd law: Anytime you exert a force on something, it exerts a force back on you.

F = m * a (though technically this equation is a lie)

When you have a force, you cause it to accelerate (assuming you break static friction).

Therefore any net force on any object will cause it to accelerate (and thus move) regardless of the relative sizes of the two objects, ie: You and the Earth.

Best101 said:
Doesn't the acceleration due to gravity cause weight? Isn't that why you'll weigh more on other planets than you do on Earth
Sorry I'm not GoldShadow :)
It's the other way around. Weight is a force, force causes acceleration.

Look at the equation for universal gravitation:

F = G m1 m2 / r

The F is the mutual force between the two objects, and it is in both directions. For instance I can say that I weigh 150 lbs in relation to the Earth and I can also say that the Earth weighs 150 lbs in relation to me. Because weight is defined as the force caused due to gravity. Newton's 3rd law, equal and opposite force.

Best101

Smash Ace
Newton's 3rd law: Anytime you exert a force on something, it exerts a force back on you.

F = m * a (though technically this equation is a lie)

When you have a force, you cause it to accelerate (assuming you break static friction).

Therefore any net force on any object will cause it to accelerate (and thus move) regardless of the relative sizes of the two objects, ie: You and the Earth.

Sorry I'm not GoldShadow :)
It's the other way around. Weight is a force, force causes acceleration.

Look at the equation for universal gravitation:

F = G m1 m2 / r

The F is the mutual force between the two objects, and it is in both directions. For instance I can say that I weigh 150 lbs in relation to the Earth and I can also say that the Earth weighs 150 lbs in relation to me. Because weight is defined as the force caused due to gravity. Newton's 3rd law, equal and opposite force.
So look at this way, in relation to everything that has weight on Earth you can say that Earth weighs as much as everything that's on it. Since according to Newton's 3rd law there an equal but opposite force, so if everything that's weighing down on Earth, Earth has to apply an opposite force to those objects.

The two objects that you are looking for are in fact many objects acting on one giant object. Then you got gravity, which is also applying a force onto Earth itself.

This is getting complicated :laugh:

Jammer

Smash Lord
The two objects that you are looking for are in fact many objects acting on one giant object. Then you got gravity, which is also applying a force onto Earth itself.
You bring up a good point. When you jump, you don't move the earth permanently. You push it away from you (and it pushes you away from it). When gravity brings you and Earth back together, you both end up in the same spot you were before you jumped.

Is that possibly causing the confusion?

Best101

Smash Ace
and boring ;)
Not for me, I enjoy Science a lot ;)

You bring up a good point. When you jump, you don't move the earth permanently. You push it away from you (and it pushes you away from it). When gravity brings you and Earth back together, you both end up in the same spot you were before you jumped.

Is that possibly causing the confusion?
I don't think that the mass of human would create a gravitational pull strong enough to pull the Earth back to the person though

Jammer

Smash Lord
I don't think that the mass of human would create a gravitational pull strong enough to pull the Earth back to the person though
Hmm...it seems you're grasping the concept of there being no such thing as "strong enough". Any force is strong enough to move any object, assuming there's no static friction.

Sure, the earth doesn't move far, but it still moves. And it's pulled back by gravity.

You need to start thinking about these things in a whole new way. Eventually it will come to you. It just takes a while for some people.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Handorin:

Yaya, I know. But it is so insignifigant it doesnt even matter. Even if everyone on the Earth jumped it wouldnt matter. I had to do a problem like that in physics.

P.S. I know it all in my head. I had it all laid out before I typed it, but my mind went blank and Im a very bad explainer. I did quite well in my physics class anyways. >_>

Jammer

Smash Lord
I see what's happening here, son. You're used to problems where air resistance is negligible, friction is negligible, this is negligible, that is negligible, everything negligible, negligible, negligible. Well, that's not how the real world works, boy. That's one fact you're gonna have to get used to.

In other words, while the activities of humans on Earth is negligible when calculating, for example, Earth's orbit around the sun, their activities still have effects. Jumping has an effect on the earth; the gravity between you and the earth has an effect; it's just negligible for most things.

Also, the word "negligible" is really annoying to type.

fluffy

Smash Champion
see, all this science killed the thread :(

In the movie "Toy Story", the carpet designs in Sid's hallway is the same as the carpet designs in "The Shining."

Top Bottom