• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
OMG, HIEMIE IS BACK!

Just don't eat me! 'Key?!

Fact: Hiemie is the only one on Smashboards with a black name.

And I'm drunk for some unknown reason.

Jammer

Smash Lord
"FACT" BASHING TIME!

cockroaches can survive 3 days without a head.

two wrongs dont make a right but 3 rights make a left.

Lightning does strike the same place twice. the empire state building gets hit over 2000 times a year

eating a poppy seed bagel before a drug test can make you test positive for heroin.

there also is no measurment of wetness.

you eat about 2 spiders every year as you sleep.

deisel engines are more economic than gasoline engines.

bottled watter contains trace amounts of arsenic.

paper does not grow on trees, its 15% cotton.

100% of all people cant lick their elbow, and 45% of all people will try this after hearing it.

einstein had trouble tying his shoes.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - the fear of long words.

fingernails and hair continue to grow after you die.
How are these "facts" similar? They're all false, that's how!

Cockroaches can survive for several weeks without a head.

Three rights make a left? Assuming those are 90 degree rights. Also assuming you're using a stupid expression that, in fact, is not a fact, but rather a stupid expression.

All tall buildings get struck by lightning repeatedly. Your fact implied that lightning doesn't strike the same place on the ground twice. That is untrue. It's just unlikely during a single storm because the lightning sort of balances out the static electrical charge between the ground and the clouds at that spot, which takes a long time to recharge.

Real heroin tests aren't fooled by poppy seeds. They aren't even fooled by most opiates. They test for specific heroin compounds.

There is a measurement of wetness. You can measure it several ways. For example, the mass of the wet object minus the mass of the object when it's dry, all divided by the mass of the object when dry. That would be a perfectly acceptable measure of wetness.

The 2 spiders a year thing is wrong. It's actually closer to 8. Also, it depends a huge amount on where you live. If you live in a fancy house without a bug problem, expect your average to be closer to 0. If you camp out under the stars every night for a year, expect to swallow 50 spiders.

For some uses, diesel engines are more economical. For other uses, they're not. If they really were just "more economical", every vehicle would have them.

Purified bottled water contains nothing but water. Spring water sometimes contains small traces of arsenic. Not nearly enough to be harmful. And not all springs have arsenic.

Some paper is made with cotton. Some isn't. Paper is made by amalgamating vegetable fibers made of cellulose. Cotton is one of those vegetable fibers, but wood pulp is vastly more popular.

Many people can lick their elbow. Check out the "What strange things can you do with your body" thread to see a few examples. And who came up with that 45% figure? I smell the smell of something pulled out of someone's fact-making machine.

Einstein had trouble tying his shoes--when he was 3. He was a slow starter, but completely normal (in fact, better than normal) later on.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is a fricking made-up word. IT'S NOT REAL!

Fingernails and hair do not grow after death. It seems like they do because the skin loses water and shrivels up, exposing them more.

The Mayan Calendar, the most accurate in the world, ends on December 21st, 2012.
First of all, it is not the most accurate calendar in the world. It was accurate to about 30 seconds every year. That's incredible for people without telescopes, but we do much better nowadays. Our current system of measuring time is accurate to within microseconds every year. Of course, things like the earth's rotational speed changing due to earthquakes and tsunamis messes things up slightly, because earthquakes are largely unpredictable. But things like passing comets are taken into account when calculating the earth's position in space over time. We know exactly where the earth will be thousands of years from now at any minute.

But of course, at such large scales, and with no good reference points (the sun doesn't count because it's part of the system we're predicting), it doesn't matter.

Second, the calendar doesn't "end" on December 12th, 2012. That's just the date that the Mayans predicted the world would end. I assure you, they were able to extend the calendar beyond that point, if only to make some kind of joke about weekends in the afterlife, perhaps?

I don't mean to offend anyone. I just want to make sure none of us get seduced by the dark side of trivia.

AND A FACT TO BALANCE IT OUT

The average distance between the earth and the moon is about 384,403 km. But, at one point, we were able to ascertain that distance to within a centimeter or two.

We did it by bouncing a laser from earth off a mirror on the moon placed there during the first moon landing by the Apollo mission, and timing how long it took to bounce back.

I assure you that that information was useful to someone, somewhere.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
The 2 spiders a year thing is wrong. It's actually closer to 8. Also, it depends a huge amount on where you live. If you live in a fancy house without a bug problem, expect your average to be closer to 0. If you camp out under the stars every night for a year, expect to swallow 50 spiders.
Actually this is wrong too. There was once a myth that one human being would swallow about 16 spiders in one lifetime, on average, but that's actually a lie, I mean, how the hell would they measure that?

Trust me, you don't swallow as many spiders as you might think.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Hmmm... I don't see how you can say it's wrong just because you don't believe someone could swallow so many spiders.

Spiders like nice warm, moist places, I guess. Many species also like to be in some sort of miniature cave. Nostrils, middle ears, and mouths all work very well for that.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
Source 1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_word_in_English

Source 2
http://www.a-z-dictionaries.com/blog/longest-word-in-english/

The word pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, also spelled pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis, is defined as “a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica or quartz dust.” At 45 letters, it is certainly the longest word ever to appear in a non-technical dictionary of English, the Oxford English Dictionary. However, there are strong indications that the word was coined by puzzler Everett Smith in 1935 as a hypothetical long word that could result from the protraction of medical terms. The actual name of the disease is pneumoconiosis, which is 14 letters long.

But, the real longest word (if you count chemical names) is:

cetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylprolylserylglutaminyl-
phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyltryptophylalanyl-
aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparaginylvalylcysteinyl-
threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminylphenylalanyl-
glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginylthreonylthreonyl-
glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylserylglutaminylvalyl-
tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminylserylthreonylvalyl-
arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosyllysylvalyltyrosyl-
arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartylprolylleucylisoleucyl-
threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalanylaspartylthreonyl-
arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylvalylglutamyl-
asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonylthreonylalanylglutamyl-
threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginylvalylaspartylaspartyl-
alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalanylasparaginylisoleucyl-
asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylvalylarginylglycyl-
threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasparaginylthreonyl-
phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucylvalyltryptophyl-
threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserine.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Hmmm... I don't see how you can say it's wrong just because you don't believe someone could swallow so many spiders.

Spiders like nice warm, moist places, I guess. Many species also like to be in some sort of miniature cave. Nostrils, middle ears, and mouths all work very well for that.
Most definitely not a true fact. Has been disproved various times. Just something that someone thought up because they thought it would gross people out, and it spread like wildfire. I'm sure I or someone else addressed this elsewhere in the thread.
For some uses, diesel engines are more economical. For other uses, they're not. If they really were just "more economical", every vehicle would have them.
Diesel is far more efficient than regular gasoline in just about every use. Diesel engines in cars are about 30% more efficient than their gasoline counterparts; a major improvement. Diesel also provides more power. The biggest drawback, however, is their emissions; they are far less "clean" than a normal gasoline engine.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/di_diesels.shtml
http://www.inchem.org/documents/ehc/ehc/ehc171.htm

Purified bottled water contains nothing but water. Spring water sometimes contains small traces of arsenic. Not nearly enough to be harmful.
False. Bottled water is not pure water; in fact, you can't buy pure water anywhere except for scientific uses. So the question really boils down to: is bottled water as clean as the companies say they are? No, it's not. Bottled water, as found in studies, is not as chemically pure as most people believe. Many brands (about a 1/3) in one study were found to contain things like arsenic. Bottled water is safe to drink, yes, but by no means "nothing but water".
http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz/KLESSILL/
http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/appa.asp

I don't mean to offend anyone. I just want to make sure none of us get seduced by the dark side of trivia.
Keep it up! It's an honorable pursuit!

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
But, the real longest word (if you count chemical names) is:

cetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylprolylserylglutaminyl-
phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyltryptophylalanyl-
aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparaginylvalylcysteinyl-
threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminylphenylalanyl-
glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginylthreonylthreonyl-
glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylserylglutaminylvalyl-
tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminylserylthreonylvalyl-
arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosyllysylvalyltyrosyl-
arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartylprolylleucylisoleucyl-
threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalanylaspartylthreonyl-
arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylvalylglutamyl-
asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonylthreonylalanylglutamyl-
threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginylvalylaspartylaspartyl-
alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalanylasparaginylisoleucyl-
asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylvalylarginylglycyl-
threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasparaginylthreonyl-
phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucylvalyltryptophyl-
threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserine.
Yeah, I think this should up earlier in the thread too. However, I wouldn't consider it a word; it's a protein name. I believe it's the longest structural formula for a protein. And even then, if you really want to find the longest chemical name, there are some polymers that have millions and millions of atoms and constituents, and I'm sure a number of compounds could beat this name.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
False. Bottled water is not pure water; in fact, you can't buy pure water anywhere except for scientific uses. So the question really boils down to: is bottled water as clean as the companies say they are? No, it's not. Bottled water, as found in studies, is not as chemically pure as most people believe. Many brands (about a 1/3) in one study were found to contain things like arsenic. Bottled water is safe to drink, yes, but by no means "nothing but water".
Tap water has to follow harsher guidelines than bottled water does.

And if you rally think about it, you're paying more for bottled water which you can get free than you are for gasoline if you measure it in price per unit. :(

Jammer

Smash Lord
Sorry, I didn't yawn.

And I always yawn whenever I see another person yawn, or even see a person yawn on TV.

Also, just seeing the word "yawn" doesn't make people yawn. You have to say something like "Most people who read the word 'yawning' will yawn." You have to make a suggestion, you see. You're practically telling the person to yawn, in an indirect way, of course.

EDIT: Actually, all this thinking about yawning caused me to yawn.

And about bottled water: Some of it is purified tap water, some of it is spring water, and some of it is tap water with added minerals for taste. You know those commercials that say "We promise nothing"? Their water really is distilled water--pure H20. What I was saying was that not all of it had arsenic, and not all of it even had minerals.

Percon

Smash Lord
Don't know if these are true or not...

If you took all Bill Gates' money (in 100$ bills) and lined them up, you could go to the moon and back 6+ times.

The richest dead person in the world is Elvis (the one that makes the most money even while deceased)

Not only is the Peregreine Falcon the fastest animal on the planet, but it also possesses the keenest vision (of any bird, as least)

The African Bullfrog will keep eating flies until it's stomach, throat and mouth are completely full

Jammer

Smash Lord
At least there's some truth to it...
Well, yeah, I guess. But I yawned after writing about it, not after reading the word.

Did you know that yawning is actually partly a form of communication? It tells other people you're tired. You're thinking, "Duh," but it gets more interesting. When the alpha male in a gorilla troupe (or whatever they're called) yawns, it means everyone should go to bed. The yawn spreads throughout the troupe, and everyone goes to sleep.

I guess humans still have that instinct to yawn when they see someone else yawn. Even thinking about it makes you do it. I'm not sure if there's any bodily function like that, except for breathing (now you're thinking consciously about your breathing) and possibly blinking.

Did you just blink?

The African Bullfrog will keep eating flies until it's stomach, throat and mouth are completely full
Yeah. Me too. It gives you a stomach ache, and sometimes you can choke on all the legs and wings, so I don't recommend it, unless if you really, really like eating flies like me.

calvaryfuk

Smash Rookie
It is impossible to drown yourself willingly unless there is something preventing you from getting air.

On average, a person will spend about five years eating during his or her lifetime.

Sheep can recognize other sheep from pictures.

: P

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
i didnt read all this thread but i have a few :p

charlie browns dad was a barber
flying from london to neyyork city by concord you go back in time 2 hours
you burn more calories by sleeping then watching tv
an average person spends 2 years on the phone
the first product to have a bar code was wrigleys gum
a car horn is in the tone of F
The term "nerd" was made by Dr. Suess in "if i ran the zoo"
Dueling is leagal in Paraguay if both parties are blood doners
The term "getting fired" was made when clans burnt down the house of unwanted party members
the plastic thing at the end of shoelaces are called aglets
polar bear skin is black its fur isnt white but clear
Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the left hand.
Shakespeare invented the words "assassination" and "bump."
The names of the continents all end with the same letter with which they start.
The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.
On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily!
Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.
There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with orange, purple and silver.
The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan". There was never a recorded Wendy before
Sherlock Holmes NEVER said "Elementary, my dear Watson".
The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from Public Libraries.
Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury.
Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer.
Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2,but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.
In ancient England a person ! could not have sex unless you had consent of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to
have a baby, they got consent of the King, the King gave them a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The placard had F.*.*.*. (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it. Now you know where that came from.
If you were to spell out numbers it would take u one thousand numbers to get to the letter "A"
The person who was the voice actor to bugs bunny was allergic to carrots.
The person who voice acted King DeDeDe (from kirby franchise) was Carlos Mensia (Jking)
60 % of statistics are made up.....
Dragon boat racing is the 8th most popular sport in the world! (What the funk is Dragon boat racing)
There are more plastic lawn flamingos in the US than real ones.
A typist fingers travel over 12 and a half miles in an average day.
The Roman Catholic Church did not acknowledge that the earth revolves around the sun until the mid 1990’s.
The average life span of an umbrella is under two years.
The only words in the English language to contain two "U’s" back to back are: vacuum, residuum, and continuum.
The first non-human to win an Oscar was Mickey Mouse.
The McDonald’s™ at Toronto’s ‘SkyDome’ is the only McDonald’s™ location that sells hot dogs.
Every year more people are killed by donkeys, than in aircraft crashes.
In an average day, a four year old child will ask 437 questions.
4,000 people are injured by tea pots every year.
In 1977, George Willig was fined $1.10 for climbing the World Trade Center building.
There are only 18 countries richer than Bill Gates
One million $1 bills weighs 1 ton
In downtown Lima, Peru, there is a large brass statue dedicated to Winnie-the-Pooh.
There is a city called Rome in every continent.

We are in the middle of an ice age. Ice ages include both cold and warm periods; at the moment we are experiencing a relatively warm span of time known as an interglacial period. Geologists believe that the warmest part of this period occurred from 1890 through 1945 and that since 1945 things have slowly begun freezing up again. (Al Gore can kiss my non-global warming ***)

A jogger's heel strikes the ground 1,500 times per mile.

Jammer

Smash Lord
It is impossible to drown yourself willingly unless there is something preventing you from getting air.
Um, I think you're using the word "drown" when you mean "suffocate".

Drowning is in water or some other liquid. It is very easy to inhale water and die. In fact, you can just breathe in a gallon of water and you'll be dead before you can cough enough out to get the oxygen you need. No body of water necessary.

Suffocating is when you don't breathe. You can hold your breath, but when you pass out, your medulla will kick in and restore normal breathing patterns.

If you want to kill yourself by suffocation, you don't even need to choke yourself somehow or stuff a wet rag into your throat. You can just "swallow" your tongue. That's how Hannibal Lecter murdered another guy when he was locked up tight in a jail cell: By convincing him to swallow his tongue.

Please don't try it out.

Also, saying that you can't suffocate if there's nothing stopping you from getting air is like saying you can't get a sunburn if there's no sun. Not too exciting, if you ask me.

EDIT: I just saw DanBear's post. GoldShadow, would you mind taking the first volley, and I'll kill anything that moves after?

Geist

Smash Master
"FACT" BASHING TIME!

Cockroaches can survive for several weeks without a head.
my source was off >.> by a long shot lmao. my bad.

Three rights make a left? Assuming those are 90 degree rights. Also assuming you're using a stupid expression that, in fact, is not a fact, but rather a stupid expression.
what no joke value? oh well.:laugh:

All tall buildings get struck by lightning repeatedly. Your fact implied that lightning doesn't strike the same place on the ground twice. That is untrue. It's just unlikely during a single storm because the lightning sort of balances out the static electrical charge between the ground and the clouds at that spot, which takes a long time to recharge.
the same place. the empire state buildings lighning rod gets hit that many times and its pretty thin. not the same ground area. i see what you mean but its all about interpretation. a guy got hit by lightning seven times you know. i think he commit suicide:psycho:

Real heroin tests aren't fooled by poppy seeds. They aren't even fooled by most opiates. They test for specific heroin compounds.
the drug opium comes from the poppy. poppy seeds come from poppy. heroin comes from opium. debunked.

There is a measurement of wetness. You can measure it several ways. For example, the mass of the wet object minus the mass of the object when it's dry, all divided by the mass of the object when dry. That would be a perfectly acceptable measure of wetness.
that was my bad, i meant that there is no real scientific measurement of wetness, like candela and lumen measure brightness and decibel for sound. my bad y'all. :(

this was my bad too, i cant find the real number again, but i saw it somewhere in a book...
this is debunked.

they smell really bad, and they are less efficient, but im almost positive they are more economically safe. plus its more expensive.

Purified bottled water contains nothing but water. Spring water sometimes contains small traces of arsenic. Not nearly enough to be harmful. And not all springs have arsenic.
yes it does contain arsenic, but trace amounts and are not deadly enough to do any bodily harm. most spring water has minerals addeed to them to "inhance flavor" aquafina is a good example. Dasani says it proudly in its label in the back.

Some paper is made with cotton. Some isn't. Paper is made by amalgamating vegetable fibers made of cellulose. Cotton is one of those vegetable fibers, but wood pulp is vastly more popular.
i said money....>.>

Many people can lick their elbow. Check out the "What strange things can you do with your body" thread to see a few examples. And who came up with that 45% figure? I smell the smell of something pulled out of someone's fact-making machine.
the 45% is a rough estimate that has to do with the power of suggestion. if someone does something, others will mimic them and if someone says something others will beleive their opinions. but i was sure that it was impossible to lick your elbow >.> im probably wrong.

Einstein had trouble tying his shoes--when he was 3. He was a slow starter, but completely normal (in fact, better than normal) later on.
einstein had trouble tying his shoes as late in his life as 30. he was so absorbed in his studies he spent all of his time on them and practically had trouuble doing everything else. this i know is true.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is a fricking made-up word. IT'S NOT REAL!
is to. =D
no im serious it is. ironic isnt it? google it.

Fingernails and hair do not grow after death. It seems like they do because the skin loses water and shrivels up, exposing them more.
yeh i checked that up ur right. :(

First of all, it is not the most accurate calendar in the world. It was accurate to about 30 seconds every year. That's incredible for people without telescopes, but we do much better nowadays. Our current system of measuring time is accurate to within microseconds every year. Of course, things like the earth's rotational speed changing due to earthquakes and tsunamis messes things up slightly, because earthquakes are largely unpredictable. But things like passing comets are taken into account when calculating the earth's position in space over time. We know exactly where the earth will be thousands of years from now at any minute.
thats right. the most accurate calendar in the world is atomic. its really big too.

and keep it up. the last thing we need is more snapple facts :ohwell:

i have more facts.

the average pack of cigarettes costs $4.54 US. the average smoker smokes a pack and a half a day. so, $31.43 US per week is around the average money a smoker literally burns. in a year, a smoker spends $1634.36.
90% of all smokers that smoke for life say they started before 18.
the average smoker lives to be about 77.9 years old. The average age of a non smoker is 84 years old. what does this all mean?

The average smoker spends $98 061.6 US throughout their lifetime, and every cigarrete pack cuts your lifetime by 11 minutes.

another fact- if a shark stops swimming it suffocates itself. this is because its gills cannot suck in any water and it must propel itself through the water in order to survive.
sharks also blink with their bottom eyelid.

a 3-toed sloth moves so slow moss will start to grow on it.

if you unravelled all the veins in your body and placed them side to side it would stretch around the world.

clouded leopards cannot roar.

the oldest turtle is almost 175.

Barbie's full name is Barbara Milicent Roberts.

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee. If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb. :psycho:

This is blowtoes's 5th longest post.

debunk these facts if they are not true. cuz if they're not, im burning my book.

Geist

Smash Master
lol my bad. tnx alot. :)

700 000 people a year die of heart disease, and the flu kills 62 000 people a year. 150 people a day die of car crashes.
Over the last three years the total cumulative number of human bird flu cases reported to The World Health Organization has reached only 228.
plague my ***.

ill edit tat mistake =p

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
Ducks Quacks do echo
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction. lol
The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.
In the early days of the telephone, operators would pick up a call and use the phrase, "Well, are you there?". It wasn't until 1895 that someone suggested answering the phone with the phrase "number please?"
On the new hundred dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.
Each of the suits on a deck of cards represents the four major pillars of the economy in the middle ages: heart represented the Church, spades represented the military, clubs represented agriculture, and diamonds represented the merchant class.
The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly. Tasty
If peate and repeate were on a boat and peate fell out who was left?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
South America, North America,

In ancient England a person ! could not have sex unless you had consent of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to
have a baby, they got consent of the King, the King gave them a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The placard had F.*.*.*. (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it. Now you know where that came from.
Not true at all, completely false in every possible way. The idea that aliens sank the Titantic is more realistic then this.

That's just two things that popped to mind, I could tell a third of the rest was false without researching, but didn't want to have to go pull sources to prove.

Someone send up the Goldshadow signal!

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
i didnt read all this thread but i have a few :p
charlie browns dad was a barber
why not

depends on your flight path, but it's plausible

it depends, are you watching dirty dirty programming?
or are you scared?
but yeah

an average person spends 2 years on the phone
that's over 17,000 hours
believable, if you're talking about the US

the first product to have a bar code was wrigleys gum
KNOWN product lol

true, just listen to one

uhh why not?

Dueling is legal in Paraguay if both parties are blood doners
true, weird

The term "getting fired" was made when clans burnt down the house of unwanted party members
lol

that's true, yep yep

true, the light reflecting off the fur makes it look white. It's an insulator, and is so effective that some polar bears can even faint from heat stroke haha

looks like it

old, true

in english, if you ignore the North and South before the americas

hehe, tittle

On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily!
old, unsurprising

Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.
wtf is finland?
jk, true

if Shakespeare there would be

The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan". There was never a recorded Wendy before
yeah, true

he want never recorder saying it lol

The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from Public Libraries.
true, i wonder if it's in the book?

yeah, but monopoly rules

define 'smart', but on average if you're malnourished you're probably have trouble thinking

Fact: Too many facts

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
South America, North America,

Not true at all, completely false in every possible way. The idea that aliens sank the Titantic is more realistic then this.

That's just two things that popped to mind, I could tell a third of the rest was false without researching, but didn't want to have to go pull sources to prove.

Someone send up the Goldshadow signal!

first the first one
1. i took out the south and north in america by accident :(
the next one
2. How would you know its false?!?! are you from antient england? did you eat magicall scones that gave you knolege of antient england.
guess we should wait for gold shadow

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Oh, I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan. Yes, "Elementary, my dear Watson" was from some movie adaptation of the books, and not the books themselves.

Shakepeare also invented the word "naughty". ;)

I dont believe the two years on the phone thing for a single second.

Geist

Smash Master
the f word is derived from the Latin futuere and Old German ficken/****en meaning 'to strike or penetrate', which had the slang meaning 'to copulate'. The word, which entered English in the late 15th century, became rarer in print in the 18th century when it came to be regarded as vulgar.

it has nothing to do with the kings permission to get it on.
plus, entire countries were under control by the king, with only horses to travel, so how can this be plausible? this fact, is in fact, untrue. =D

and looking at MY phone bill, Id say the phone thing is true.

Jammer

Smash Lord
EDIT* Jammer bring it all my facts are... facts :p
You had to go and say something like that, didn't you?

I don't feel like researching your facts, so I'll just talk about the ones I know about off the top of my head.

The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer.

Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2,but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.

If you were to spell out numbers it would take u one thousand numbers to get to the letter "A"

60 % of statistics are made up.....

The Roman Catholic Church did not acknowledge that the earth revolves around the sun until the mid 1990’s.

The first non-human to win an Oscar was Mickey Mouse.

There are only 18 countries richer than Bill Gates

There is a city called Rome in every continent.
These are just the ones that I know are untrue/misleading. There were a bunch of other ones that are most likely untrue, but their inherent wackiness makes me unsure.

Flying does not equal time travel. You just go across a few time zones.

Sleeping is the state of lowest activity (besides a coma, I suppose). Your metabolism significantly slows when you sleep compared to any other waking activity, including watching TV.

Car horns are all over the place. If you've actually heard more than one honk in your life, you'd know that.

The nerd thing is actually true. I just thought I'd point that out if you didn't believe it.

I suppose you haven't heard of "North America" and "South America"? Also, that only works in English. In German, for example, "Europe" is "Europa."

"Tittle" also applies to the dot over a j. Hehe. Tittle.

Here are some more English words without a (perfect) rhyme: almond, angry, angst, aspirin, bachelor, breadth, bulb (unless you count "culb"), chaos, chimney, circus, citrus, depth, different, elbow, else, empty, engine, film, glimpsed, hostage, iron, justice, luggage, monster, month (if you don't count words like "oneth" [1th], which isn't really a word, if you ask me), mulcts, ninth (if you don't count other number-names that end in "ninth), office, olive, orange (Door hinge, for example, rhymes, but it's two words), pint, pedant, penguin, pizza, plinth, promise (if you don't count proper nouns), Rachael (if you do count proper nouns), reptile, shadow, sculpt, silver, sixth, transfer, twelfth, vacuum, width, wolf. You missed a few. "Purple" also has a couple rhymes: curple and hurple. "Silver" rhymes with the Old English word "chilver."

"Peter Pan" only popularized the name of Wendy. It had been used before the book or play, often as a short form of "Gwendolyn".

Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" in the books by Arthur Conan Doyle. He did say, however, numerous times in the television series and a couple movies about him.

More actual US bills are printed. More Monopoly dollars are printed. You see, if one Monopoly $10,000 bill equals 10,000 United States $1 bills, there's really no contest. I know I didn't word this very well, but I'm sure you can figure out what I'm trying to say.

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair? This is the only wacky fact that I decided to call out, even though I'm not sure it's wrong. It just sounds too stupid to let it slide. I can't give any factual rebuttal, but I don't believe this one.

Sorry, it wasn't Tom Sawyer, but Life on the Mississippi, also by Mark Twain, that was the first influential book written by a typewriter. There were many unimportant novels written on typewriters before that.

Sorry, but the "Fornication Under Consent of the King" is just an urban legend. Not a true fact. Also, people were allowed to have sex whenever they wanted, I believe. It was marrying that you needed permission for.

Yes, you have to type a thousand numbers before you type an "a", but that's because you type "thousand", which is the first number-word to have an "a". I guess your fact is true, but it's not really exciting at all.

60% of statistics are made up? Do I even have to say anything?

The Roman Catholic Church has never issued an official statement about whether or not the earth revolves around the sun since 1633, when it said that the universe revolves around the earth. They pretty much just keep off the subject. However, in 1992, Pope John Paul II made an apology to the Pontifical Academy of Scientists for the treatment Galileo received at the hands of the Church. He called it a "misunderstanding". So I suppose that the Catholic Church still hasn't admitted that the earth revolves around the sun, at least in an official declaration.

Walt Disney got an Oscar for making Mickey Mouse. The Mouse himself did not receive an Oscar.

Only 18 countries richer than Bill Gates? It depends how wealthy you decide a country is. Let's just say that pretty much every country in Europe, most countries in Asia, the US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, etc., etc., etc are all richer than Bill Gates. That number (18) was just made up to make people disgusted with Bill's wealth, I guess.

There is no Rome in Antarctica. Also, I'm almost positive there is no Rome in Australia.

Now, I'm sure I made a couple mistake here, and I'm not omniscient, so please point out where I went wrong.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
False. But it would be a great way to get fit if it were true, wouldn't it? Sleeping actually burns about 65 Calories/hour in a 70-kg person, while sitting at rest burns 100 Calories/hour (and just lying still while awake burns 77 Calories/hour).

True. I always wondered what to call them. Now I know.

True. Indeed it is.

Only if you're using a normal QWERTY keyboard!

Yup, see the links in this post of mine for more words he made up (http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2818990&postcount=421)

Possibly True. According to the following website, the name Wendy may have been used before Peter Pan was written.
http://www.wendy.com/wendyweb/history.html

False. Not quite sure where this one's from, but it's definitely false.

In ancient England a person ! could not have sex unless you had consent of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to have a baby, they got consent of the King, the King gave them a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The placard had F.*.*.*. (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it.
False. An amusing story, but it's not true. The word has been around since the 16th century or earlier, and its origins are probably Germanic; read more about it:
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/****.asp EDIT: replace the **** with the word for this link to work; **** censor.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_268b.html

There's a protein named "sonic hedgehog."
True. It is, not surprisingly, encoded by the Sonic Hedgehog gene (I'm guessing whoever discovered it was a Sega fan!). The gene is involved in embryonic development and growth, and there are versions of it found in most animals.
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/Courses/Molbio/MolStudents/spring2003/Watson/Sonichedgehog.htm

Also, thanks Jammer and friends for getting to a bunch of other facts.

Also I realized afterward that some of the facts I addressed in this post are ones that a few people already cleared up.

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
Out of all the things they could have named a protien sonic the hedgehog?!?!?! i have a better one

BEEF CAKES!!!!!

heres a fact:
In almost all House episodes they said whats causeing the problem is Lumpis but it never it

Top Bottom