• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Best101

Smash Ace
Best101, that's probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

CodeBlack: okay, now I know what you're talking about. So, the Mayans invented walls with holes in the shape of an arch? Cool, I guess.
You seriously didn't know that? Funny :laugh:

But seriously, I thought everyone knew that =\

Jammer

Smash Lord
That's not really true. It's just an urban legend.

I believe...

It's just too good to be actually true.

fluffy

Smash Champion
well they're both from different time periods, so it's not like a huge coincidence

MysticKenji

Smash Master
The typical shower is 101 degrees F

Nicole Kidman has a morbid fear of butterflies

The female pigeon cannot lay eggs if she is alone. In order for her ovaries to function, she must be able to see another pigeon

D-20 Dice

Smash Ace
All the tissue in the human lungs extend across a tennis court(or was it a football field?).

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fact: You know those those weird swirly colors you see on the surface of oil? It takes Quantum Mechanics to be able to explain why / how that happens. It baffled scientists for a long time.

Jammer

Smash Lord
To expand on AlfF4's fact:

The colors of the oil actually have to do with how thick the oil film is at that point. As you increase the thickness of the oil, the color goes from red to purple, then back to red, then purple, in a circle, passing through all the colors. This only works when the oil film is only nanometers across, though. When it gets too thick, it doesn't have a uniform thickness, and it turns to black.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure it's not, Fluffy.

Not oil specifically as in oil pants. But like soap bubbles, or in gasoline. If you look closely at a soap bubble, you'll see a bunch of swirling colors. Precisely how those colors work (as Jammer elaborated on) involves Quantum Mechanics.

Never thought it'd be that complicated for a stupid soap bubble, eh?

Jammer

Smash Lord
If you've stared at a soap bubble, you'll notice that the colors on the bottom are different, on average, from those at the top. That's because gravity pulls more of the liquid to the bottom, where it gets thicker, thus changing the color.

You know why CDs are so shiny and colorful? That's right: quantum mechanics. The groove patterns in CDs do this really complicated thing that is not easy to explain so I won't. But the result is that the colors change when you hold the CD at different angles between your eye and the light source. And they change in a cycle as you tilt the CD.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
One who is a "true" vegetarian is less healthy than one who has started smoking at twelve years of age.

Jammer

Smash Lord
That can't be even remotely true, NJzFinest. Vegetarians who work hard to get the proper nutrients are, almost as a rule, healthier than the rest of us omnivores (at least they live longer), and they're certainly healthier than smokers.

Where did you hear that?

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
That can't be even remotely true, NJzFinest. Vegetarians who work hard to get the proper nutrients are, almost as a rule, healthier than the rest of us omnivores (at least they live longer), and they're certainly healthier than smokers.

Where did you hear that?
hopefully he was joking jammer. LOL!!!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I wasn't joking.
Vegetarians who work hard to get the proper nutrients are....
....not true vegetarians.

Keep in mind there are different types of vegetarians. For instance, I know some who go out of their way got get nutrients, some who eat meat at certain times, and some who strongly stick to the idea of simply not eating meat. I'll leave it like that since this thread isn't a Smoker vs Vegetarian topic, however, hopefully what I said sparked your interest and you can find out more own your own.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The chimp DNA thing isn't fact, I know that for sure
No, actually, it is a fact. The differences are not necessarily in the structure of the DNA itself, but how it is translated. Some parts are not expressed at all in humans that are in chimps (and vice versa), others are expressed much more than they are in chimps (and vice versa); there are major differences in DNA regulation, and this is what creates the large differences between the two species.

An example is that you have a pallette of paints and a canvas to paint on. You can paint whatever you'd like, mix the colors in different ways, make many different colors; maybe you'll paint a house!

Then, you take another pallette with the exact same colors and you make another painting on another canvas; except you mix them differently and make different colors, in different patterns... for this one you paint a guitar.

The pallette in this metaphor is DNA; the canvases and paintings are the actual animals (human and chimp). Even though you used the exact same pallette (DNA), you were able to express it differently (paint by mixing different colors in different places) to create two totally different paintings.

One who is a "true" vegetarian is less healthy than one who has started smoking at twelve years of age.
Not true whatsoever.

That said, there can be either healthy vegetarians or healthy omnivores; both can have health problems (though vegetarians actually have more). I know there was a Vegetarianism/Veganism thread in the PRoom somewhere where I spent several posts and a ton of evidence to show this. I think I'll go dig it up so that everyone can see.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
That said, there can be either healthy vegetarians or healthy omnivores; both can have health problems (though vegetarians actually have more). I know there was a Vegetarianism/Veganism thread in the PRoom somewhere where I spent several posts and a ton of evidence to show this. I think I'll go dig it up so that everyone can see.
I found the thread, but please don't go posting there because it'll just start up more pointless "actully being vegetarien is halthier" "NO its not red meat rules" conversation, in which people will inevitably skip over all the useful posts already in the thread because they seemed too long and didn't feel like reading them.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=113760

My awesome posts:
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2854382&postcount=54
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2861782&postcount=62

Keku

Smash Apprentice
Fact: You know those those weird swirly colors you see on the surface of oil? It takes Quantum Mechanics to be able to explain why / how that happens. It baffled scientists for a long time.
Doesn't it have something to do with wave-interference aswell? Just asking, don't really know anything about quantum mechanics yet.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Well, wave interference is pretty much everything in Quantum electrodynamics. But no, there isn't any wave interference like in the two-slit experiment, which is probably what you're thinking of. It's a different kind, and it's tricky to explain. Even the Wikipedia article doesn't have a good explanation of what I'm talking about.

Sorry.

Keku

Smash Apprentice
Well, wave interference is pretty much everything in Quantum electrodynamics. But no, there isn't any wave interference like in the two-slit experiment, which is probably what you're thinking of. It's a different kind, and it's tricky to explain. Even the Wikipedia article doesn't have a good explanation of what I'm talking about.

Sorry.
No problem.

fluffy

Smash Champion
85% of men don't use the slit in their underwear.

91% of us lie regularly.

Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team his sophomore year.

The face of a penny can hold about thirty drops of water.

A group of frogs is called an army.

Betsy Ross was born with a fully formed set of teeth.:urg:

The creator of the NIKE Swoosh symbol was paid only $35 for the design.

The word 'set' has more definitions than any other word in the English language.

The names of Snow White's 7 dwarfs are based on 'stages of cocaine addiction'. I don't know the exact order but they are
Doc
Sleepy
Dopey
Bashful
Sneezy
Grumpy
Happy

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
85% of men don't use the slit in their underwear.

91% of us lie regularly.

Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team his sophomore year.

The face of a penny can hold about thirty drops of water.

A group of frogs is called an army.

Betsy Ross was born with a fully formed set of teeth.:urg:

The creator of the NIKE Swoosh symbol was paid only $35 for the design.

The word 'set' has more definitions than any other word in the English language.

The names of Snow White's 7 dwarfs are based on 'stages of cocaine addiction'. I don't know the exact order but they are
Doc
Sleepy
Dopey
Bashful
Sneezy
Grumpy
Happy
Well, let's see...

The first and second are statistics that can't possibly be taken, especially the second, and are pretty much assumptions.

I know that the last one is definitely a myth, or, at best, a hilarious coincidence.

I don't know about the other ones, but the ones I know about leave me questioning your source of information.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I was actually able to put 40 drops of water on a penny once. It was in science class, when we were studying how chemical aspects of water make it perfect for certain life functions.

My team won. The second best only did 37 drops.

calvaryfuk

Smash Rookie
I know that the last one is definitely a myth, or, at best, a hilarious coincidence.
my psychology professor actually told us that the 7 dwarfs were intentially named after the levels of cocaine addiction. it's a little something disney created, like all the other subliminal messages in disney films.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Doc
Sleepy
Dopey
Bashful
Sneezy
Grumpy
Happy
my psychology professor actually told us that the 7 dwarfs were intentially named after the levels of cocaine addiction. it's a little something disney created, like all the other subliminal messages in disney films.
False. While it would be funny, it's not true.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/drugs.asp

Top Bottom