• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting discovery about a certain tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
Greetings.

Not too long ago i was laying in bed, awake staring at the cealing, and wondered... "What is up with L-canceling?" so I did a little backtracking, the purpose of L-canceling is to help any character reduce their lag after certain arials. So after giving this some thought I came to the realisation that this term is wrong... Yes fellow smashers of the melee community, this technique cannot be called "L-canceling" due to the fact that it does not cancel the characters lag, isntead it reduces it. Therefore i move that from here on out we all do our part to call this technique by its proper name which would be "L-reducing".

Thank you for your time.

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
Really????? I had absolutely no idea, thank you for clearing that up for me.
@LunarNOVA

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
I would like to express my disapproval with this motion, and at the same time introduce a bill, the contents of which are as follows:

Article I: This is stupid.

Article II: Stop posting.

Article III: There is no Article III because this is stupid.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
idc if hes a troll or a noob im either helping him learn or increasing his post count lol

edit-yay l canceling is named after me

edit 2-it was called Z canceling in n64 so...

Kanelol

Smash Lord
rather clever, but we have a joke thread right over there ---->

I figured the L in L-cancelling meant using the L button. That's how it's presented in the compendium.

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
how bout we dont.

shine is just a reflector but no one calls it that.
Hmmm I'm pretty sure they call it shine because no one really uses it as a reflector anymore, instead they use the shine to stun their opponents to start a combo. Just saying :3

AXE 09

Smash Master
I could've sworn that the L in L-cancel stood for Lag.

Anyways... I'm just gonna stick to the name "L-cancel"

N64

Smash Champion
in its predecessor there is z-cancelling. You press z at the right time and eliminate (or cancel) all lag from aerials. All lag, so it's fine to call it completely cancelling instead of reducing.

in melee this carried over, however it was more common to use L for this, and the technique no longer cancelled all lag, but reduced it by half. Thus from convention its name changed from z-cancelling to l-cancelling.

that's my understanding of it.

regardless, the term is pretty set as it is, so i don't see a point in changing it to be more politically correct. we all understand what it means already.

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
in its predecessor there is z-cancelling. You press z at the right time and eliminate (or cancel) all lag from aerials. All lag, so it's fine to call it completely cancelling instead of reducing.

in melee this carried over, however it was more common to use L for this, and the technique no longer cancelled all lag, but reduced it by half. Thus from convention its name changed from z-cancelling to l-cancelling.

that's my understanding of it.

regardless, the term is pretty set as it is, so i don't see a point in changing it to be more politically correct. we all understand what it means already.
I already knew all that, but thanks for pointing this out anyways, it will serve as general information to others. Like you mentioned Z-canceling canceled ALL lag, while L-canceling doesn't, either way to be completely politically correct one would need to call it L(R)(Z) reducing. Since i know people that use Z to reduce their lag and myself for always using R.

Spit-wad

Smash Cadet
It's canceling the animation, not the lag. There are instances of this "trick" in many games, not just smash.

Canceling the animation reduces lag (in 64 more than Melee). So if it helps, think of the cancel in relation to the animation, not the actual units of time. The animation is being canceled regardless of how many frames or milliseconds of lag you are removing.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i'm pretty sure it was called "L-cancelling" because of the button used and then when people were like "SO U CANT DO 1T WITH R?@?!?!11" the community backronymed the L to mean lag. i might be mistaken though.

also jesus do you understand about language? we have a term that means something, everyone accepts it to mean that, and it's unambiguous. that's like saying we shouldnt say "draw the blinds" because you dont actually mean to DRAW them, you mean to close them. It's ********. There's no reason to change the term. It's just a term.

The Star King

Smash Hero
L-cancel stands for lag, why would it stand for L if you can press R or Z? Z-canceling for Smash64 was started by dumb Melee players who came to 64, and it just caught on for no reason and that's what people call it now.

Canceling the animation reduces lag (in Melee more than 64).
Other way around actually, 64 reduces it more. If you cancel in 64 the character's landing lag will be as if he didn't do an aerial at all (similar to Peach's float-cancel in Melee).

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
if anything, it should be called shield-canceling. In N64, the term was z-canceling because you pressed Z to cancel the lag, so in Melee, the left trigger changed from Z to L, renaming the term L-canceling. It wasn't until later on that people decided for simplicity's sake to say that L stood for lag.

i'm pretty sure it was called "L-cancelling" because of the button used and then when people were like "SO U CANT DO 1T WITH R?@?!?!11" the community backronymed the L to mean lag. i might be mistaken though..
this

The Star King

Smash Hero
You seriously think the community thought that you can only L-cancel with the L button at first?

No. Just no.

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
not everybody cancels aerials with L so it is safe to say L in L-cancel means lag

yeah sure it doesn't completely cancel lag like in smash 64 but it's just a term the community has coined over the years.

edit: z-cancelling in smash 64 should be obvious. though, you can also cancel lag with R

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
if anything, it should be called shield-canceling. In N64, the term was z-canceling because you pressed Z to cancel the lag, so in Melee, the left trigger changed from Z to L, renaming the term L-canceling. It wasn't until later on that people decided for simplicity's sake to say that L stood for lag.

this
Hats off to you for pointing out the shield thing, i was waiting for someone to do so, either way in 64 it should be shield canceling, whereas in melee it should be shield reducing.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
"Reducing" is too vague, we should call it "lag divide by approximately two if you press l or r or z within a seven frame window before hitting the ground-ing"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom