• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

PoopFeast420

Smash Cadet
assuming the amount of characters that will be post ballot DLC is more than 1-3, I kinda see Inklings having a better chance for smash 5 ( if there is another one/splatoon doesn't bomb )

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The problem with your theory....the official Smash Website says the release for these costumes are Summer. If they were ready around release of splatoon....they would say May, or June....but instead "summer" can apply to anytime mid july to early september....thus even the costumes wont be ready.

I dont think DLC Inking characters are happening this early.
I didn't mean for the exact release date. The game has been confirmed to have a big content update and the costumes are being used as Gamespock bait in Americaland so they're existence still fills the role. I imagine the actual download is being held back to either make them part of a pack for Lucas's release or to make sure the models work in game.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Whether this hurts them or not, I say... close enough. The accuracy of the costumes makes it close enough to playable for me. The inklings are mostly silent too, so it fits.

I'll just enjoy using these, not holding my breath for a character announcement, but will be pleasantly surprised if they do make it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is far from being close enough to playable, unless the Miis somehow manage to shooting ink, transform into squids, etc.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I keep hearing people say there are Smash Splatoon costumes, but not seeing pictures of them anywhere... Was this from the direct?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I keep hearing people say there are Smash Splatoon costumes, but not seeing pictures of them anywhere... Was this from the direct?
Yes. The last thing revealed. Edit: Female Orange Inkling hat+outfit, Male Blue Inkling hat+outfit, and Green Squid hat.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
The Mii Gunners so far have only used arm cannons, right? It's pretty bizarre seeing them hold an actual gun this time.
Don't worry guys, there's still the Smash Ballot.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I sincerely hope we aren't going into an era where everyone's going to play Chicken Little because costume = not happening.

Tell me it's not happening.

Tell me guys.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I sincerely hope we aren't going into an era where everyone's going to play Chicken Little because costume = not happening.

Tell me it's not happening.

Tell me guys.
Just you wait until Takamaru's Mii costume is announced at E3.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I doubt that these costumes mean anything towards their inclusion as DLC. But I'm honestly unsure if their Ink spreading mechanic is too much of a hurdle for Sakurai's remaining team or not, which may be the deciding factor of their inclusion.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I don't understand why people are saying the costumes deconfirms them. Nintendo are obviously doing it for marketing reasons. If people end up liking the Inkling Mii costumes, they could end up being promoted to be playable. Costumes don't deconfirm everything people, there are reasons behind some of the costumes.

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
For the record, you can see canon Inkling names during the amiibo section of the Direct. The girl is called Inky, the boy is called Inked and the squid is called Slippy (no relation to Slippy Toad, except the fact that they are green).

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I doubt that these costumes mean anything towards their inclusion as DLC. But I'm honestly unsure if their Ink spreading mechanic is too much of a hurdle for Sakurai's remaining team or not, which may be the deciding factor of their inclusion.
I still think they're likely. Maybe Sakurai is just waiting for the release of the game to see how it will do before putting them in. Japan gets it before us a day early. Remember Splatoon isn't an established franchise yet, as other characters that's in the game. If Japan likes the game so far (because they get the game before us) and want the Inkling more than ever, and are still getting votes, especially in Japan then yeah the Inklings can still happen. We have some content of Splatoon in the game with Mii's so with that and the sales for Splatoon, popularity of the Mii Costumes, and the Ballot we still have some good chances. They're not done yet.

I'm starting to understand why people don't like the idea of the Mii's now. They seem like they're getting every character for a costume now. They're making people scared for people's characters that the people want in as legit fighters.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yeah, they have guns and they have exposed skin...
These costume are breaking a lot of new ground for Mii Fighters...
*inserts Homer Simpson "Mmmm, exposed skin..."
*Slaps self awake* Geez I woke up early for this even after sleeping late earlier.

I'm torn on this whole preorder biz. I already have it set for GameStop but I was planning on pulling it and going to Toys R Us and getting that $5 amiibo deal. But now GameStop is giving out the costumes. I'm torn because I don't give two ****s about Mii Fighters but I really want Splatoon stuff in my Smash Bros...

I'm surprised no one's talking about that Spike fellow. I thought new founded fan girls/boys would be going nuts by now.

well inklings are pretty much top contenders for smash 5 no matter what.

comparing link samus and meta knight to this is silly but i do agree this isnt a full deconfirmation. I said i wouldnt buy a mii costume but it appears im maining mii gunner now

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Shoot. And I thought Dunban was enough to bump Mii Swordfighter to my top ten.

Guess I have to play Mii Gunner as well now. I'll take it. :3

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If the costume gets like a swordfighter variant (roller/paintbrush) or even a brawler variant (somehow) I'll probably be more on board with the costume idea.

Edit:

get with the program and play with the good mii scrub B)

we have x, we have proto man, we have the inklings

we have tOO MANY GOOD COSTUMES HoW DO I PICK ONE?!?

In my humble opinion, this rules out the Inklings being in Smash. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, Nintendo is putting awareness of the IP in their flagship franchise, something a lot of us guessed what would happen. It's just what I feared could have happened did happen, oh well.

I guess it's time to ride out on another support train for me, personally!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Repost.

At first glance, you'd think could cause confusion between Mii Fighters and Inklings should they ever be included, but look at them.
First off, these are straight rips of the Splatoon model, and the "hair is simply a hat. Whereas Inklings would use a unique Smash model and their "hair" would be fully animated.
Second, their movesets would be unmistakenly, completely different. If Inklings have a moveset so similar to Mii Gunner so as to cause confusion between the two, then Inkling would have been wasted potential anyway.
Third, this is just one palette. Inklings would have eight.

My point is, it'd be really hard to mistaken this for an Inkling because the Inklings are so much more than just their character design.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
How would Inkling be deconfirmed if they're still in the running for the Smash ballot? Couldn't they still get in by winning that? I don't think they're currently planned to get in, but it's certainly possible if they get enough fan support. Besides, it's not as if the Link skin got him taken out of the game.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Oh boy! The detractors are here now! :( Prepare yourselves (this is for the people that still want the Inkling as legit playable fighters). They're no stopping them! Besides all of us were hoping for something Smash related in this direct anyway. Though I'm still going to get the game.

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
How would Inkling be deconfirmed if they're still in the running for the Smash ballot? Couldn't they still get in by winning that? I don't think they're currently planned to get in, but it's certainly possible if they get enough fan support. Besides, it's not as if the Link skin got him taken out of the game.
The same thing applies to every deconfirmed character, from Fox, Falco and Palutena in Smash Taunt to Duck Hunt, Donkey Kong and Toon Link as stage hazards. :V

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Loving how this game is doing the TF2 thing with free updates adding new game modes. It even has the Tower Control mode basically be like TF2's Payload. Hoping for lots more hats and gear later on.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Never mind
Um...okay. Well anyway...

Oh boy! The detractors are here now! :( Prepare yourselves (this is for the people that still want the Inkling as legit playable fighters). They're no stopping them! Besides all of us were hoping for something Smash related in this direct anyway. Though I'm still going to get the game.
I guess they're gonna have to get inked.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
The Mii hat lacks headphones.
Riuned 4ever, -10/7 would not buy.

But in all seriousness the outfits look pretty cool and it could be that there testing out to see how popular the Inklings are so it's still possible to see them has fighters at a later or even Smash 5.

If you guys start ******** about how this hurt their chance's then i'll have to beat some sense into you, now go continue to support those little rule 34 baiter's. ;)

Just you wait until Takamaru's Mii costume is announced at E3.
That would be pretty boss. :)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I personally hope for a bit more of dat Amiibo compatibility. Would be nice to use these things on something other than Smash and Mario Kart. Nintendo themed gear would be great. Lemme Shulk up my Inkling yo.

Also, people shouldn't be throwing out "Smash 5" as an excuse like it is something happening in the near future. Keep in mind how long a console generation is and how long of a wait that is going to be. May not sound long to people who are satisfied with other character inclusions. But to a supporter like myself, that is like waiting forever.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Totally the same as
upload_2015-5-7_18-2-48.jpeg

I'd say they're a guarantee for Smash 5 though

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Oh hey the ballot is still a thing and DLC is still a thing. "Smash 5" shouldn't even be mentioned until DLC support is finished.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Oh hey the ballot is still a thing and DLC is still a thing. "Smash 5" shouldn't even be mentioned until DLC support is finished.
Exactly. None of this "better luck next time" crap until we know for sure that we're finished with Smash 4 content.

Top Bottom