• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Laniv

Smash Champion
We're not done yet, if anything it shows that Splatoon has representation in the game.

Also Link, Samus, and Meta Knight.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Link costume is enough of a caricature to pass them as separate. The inkling costumes seem way too close to the source.
How so? Can you explain how that means they're not gonna happen otherwise it sounds like you set your mental path on negative and are keeping it there.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Are we really comparing Inklings to Link though?

It certainly doesn't kill their chances, but it doesn't help anything either.
It doesn't de-confirm them. It proves Nintendo was certainly aware of Splatoon hype and are willing to put Inkling content in Smash.

At worst, this is our limit this time around. But it doesn't hurt us.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I still hope the Inkling joins the battle. If anything, the costumes at least shows recognition.
Although, WHY GAMESTOP EXCLUSIVE!?

Hoping they at least become available at a later date.

D

Deleted member

Well here's one more reason why Nintendo should allow usage of Miis outside of With Friends. ( Online )

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think those costumes are awesome. We'll have to see if it has an ink effect on the specials. I'm honestly fine with this as far as Smash goes.

Splatoon hype!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, this costumes does put them leagues ahead of more minor franchises, so it's something. Splatoon has a bright future ahead.

:231:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I still hope the Inkling joins the battle. If anything, the costumes at least shows recognition.
Although, WHY GAMESTOP EXCLUSIVE!?

Hoping they at least become available at a later date.
They're available for purchase where I live so I'd guess so.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It doesn't de-confirm them. It proves Nintendo was certainly aware of Splatoon hype and are willing to put Inkling content in Smash.

At worst, this is our limit this time around. But it doesn't hurt us.
Seriously though, Link, one of Nintendo's biggest names, who's been in Smash since the first game. The costume came way after he was even shown, so the comparison has faulty written all over it. Not saying it deconfirms them or anything.

At best, Sakurai wants to see how they'll do in the ballot before really adding them.

At worst, he laughed as he said "a costume is fine too, right?"

edsett

Smash Apprentice
DLC costumes of veterans from established franchises is not the same as DLC costumes of a potential newcomer. But the Inklings are definitely not deconfirmed. It's way too early and kneejerky to say that.

PoopFeast420

Smash Cadet
If the costume gets like a swordfighter variant (roller/paintbrush) or even a brawler variant (somehow) I'll probably be more on board with the costume idea.

Edit:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm glad you said "at worst" because anything else would have been absolutely ridiculous.
They're a brand new character from a game that isn't out anywhere yet, of course they're not getting in yet. Costumes, especially of this quality is WAY more than I expected, especially right now, and unfortunately it seems like I'm the only one.

Also, please don't demonize Sakurai for not including a character. He doesn't deserve it at all.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Wolf and Krystal Mii Fighter costume confirmed when they reveal Starfox U?.
While I understand that this doesn't hurt the chances for Inkling as an original character in Smash Bros (Link costume etc). I reckon this makes me want them a bit less.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Seriously though, Link, one of Nintendo's biggest names, who's been in Smash since the first game. The costume came way after he was even shown, so the comparison has faulty written all over it. Not saying it deconfirms them or anything.

At best, Sakurai wants to see how they'll do in the ballot before really adding them.

Granted, the Link outfit I chose because it was DLC. People questioned Meta Knight, a veteran and previous cornerstone of "Sakurai Bias" being cut because of the Mii mask seen the just a day or two before MK's return.

People are over-reacting to say this deconfirms them.

This just means that Splatoon is/was on the Smash radar pre-release. Their popularity post release and the results & implimentation of the Ballot will dictate their future with Smash 4.

The fact is Splatoon has already done wonders for Smashdom in getting recognized this much and we as fans will, of course, hope for more.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I think its safe to say Inklings are not preballot DLC.

That said, they dont seem to be doing anywhere as good as some of the major contenders in the polls currently........

However, I'm certain we will get Inklings playable in smash sooner or later. If not DLC, Id have very very very high hopes for them to get in Smash 5!!!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Inkling costumes added to Smash DLC page.

http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/index.html

Price and date is TBD, but it's confirmed for both versions, even though the Direct only said Wii U, so it will be up for sale either way.
That picture is making me doubt their chances now.

They look a little too similar for comfort. Please don't tell me this is a consolation. :urg:

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Also, please don't demonize Sakurai for not including a character. He doesn't deserve it at all.
Why would I demonize Sakurai? He has his reasons.

And just like some other characters, I see that there is the possibility of him just not seeing the Inklings as fighters.
Granted, the Link outfit I chose because it was DLC. People questioned Meta Knight, a veteran and previous cornerstone of "Sakurai Bias" being cut because of the Mii mask seen the just a day or two before MK's return.

People are over-reacting to say this deconfirms them.

This just means that Splatoon is/was on the Smash radar pre-release. Their popularity post release and the results & implimentation of the Ballot will dictate their future with Smash 4.

The fact is Splatoon has already done wonders for Smashdom in getting recognized this much and we as fans will, of course, hope for more.
I'm more worried about supporters getting it into their heads that this is some giant boon.

I tasted the feeling of thinking my character was almost all but confirmed, and then it crashed down. Hard.

Even thinking that Inklings are comparable to Link, Samus, or even MK shows that things really need to tune down.
Also screw the Inklings, I want the Squid Sisters in Sm4sh.
Much better topic to switch to.

They were definitely a pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting in the slightest. Man I love Japan.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Also screw the Inklings, I want the Squid Sisters in Sm4sh.

Lip Syncing too OP.
Plz Sakurai.
Callie and Marie for Smash DLC plz.
Please let them be an alternate Costumes or something because that was amazing!
They could still make it in as PreBallot characters we have two characters left for those five character slots. One have to go to Wolf. Who else could it really be? Besides you guys are forgetting one little detail about their costumes...THEIR OFFERED FOR A LIIMITED TIME ONLY! Did you guys not listen to that part of the Direct. You guys got the costumes but didn't hear the limited time only part!

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I'm of the opinion that the DLC costumes are a litmus test for Inklings as an actual character in the game. Rather than waste resources designing a full character, they chose to make a DLC Mii Gunner costume and see how that goes. This doesn't deconfirm the characters; if anything, it supports a possibility they will be playable if all goes well sale-wise for Splatoon.

The only thing I don't like about the costumes is the awful face they chose. I mean...surely there's a better Inkling face they could have made?
The face is just a Mii's face they designed. Doesn't show off them very well, but you can redesign your face any way you wish so don't worry too much!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

They look a little too similar for comfort. Please don't tell me this is a consolation. :urg:

I really doubt it. They probably just wanted to make a similar looking Mii for the characters so they could advertise the costumes properly.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Please let them be an alternate Costumes or something because that was amazing!
I would never not play as the Squid Sisters if it were possible.

The only problem is deciding which one.... the cute one, or the cute one.

The only thing I don't like about the costumes is the awful face they chose. I mean...surely there's a better Inkling face they could have made?
Luckily I've already had my own Inkling Mii prepared for quite some time now.

...Before costume DLC was even a thing.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Those faces are just Mii faces, the costumes may look similar but in the end, a Mii's a Mii.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

My theory is they have some Inkling character ideas in the works but they made the costumes so it'd be out in time for the main Splatoon hype. The vote ends in October and Splatoon has rolling FREE updates so there's hope

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I would never not play as the Squid Sisters if it were possible.

The only problem is deciding which one.... the cute one, or the cute one.
Why not Olimar/Alph them?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Though this emmerging Squid Sister thing reminds me of the devide between Japan and the English speaking net when it came to animal crossing. Most people before 4 wanted Tom Nook to be the playable representative, from what I saw anyway. Evidently the villager themselves were more popular in Japan. Similarly Jpanese people saw Pikachu alone as the symbol of Pokemon while Americans saw the main characters as Pikachu and Ash together. Curious how different cultures work.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
My theory is they have some Inkling character ideas in the works but they made the costumes so it'd be out in time for the main Splatoon hype. The vote ends in October and Splatoon has rolling FREE updates so there's hope
The problem with your theory....the official Smash Website says the release for these costumes are Summer. If they were ready around release of splatoon....they would say May, or June....but instead "summer" can apply to anytime mid july to early september....thus even the costumes wont be ready.

I dont think DLC Inking characters are happening this early.

Top Bottom