• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I personally hope for a bit more of dat Amiibo compatibility. Would be nice to use these things on something other than Smash and Mario Kart. Nintendo themed gear would be great. Lemme Shulk up my Inkling yo.

Also, people shouldn't be throwing out "Smash 5" as an excuse like it is something happening in the near future. Keep in mind how long a console generation is and how long of a wait that is going to be. May not sound long to people who are satisfied with other character inclusions. But to a supporter like myself, that is like waiting forever.
Yeah, I'm tired of this "you can't support your most wanted character until 7 long years from now, when your life is totally different" crap.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
The detractors need to suck it up and calm down. With all of the DLC said and done they are still possible to make it. Stop saying they have til Smash 5. A smash 5 won't be for another 5-7 years it just make sense to put them in now that we have DLC. How would you feel if a character you wanted has a Mii coutume and then people are saying that it's deconfirmed because of the Mii?

If you don't want them in fine. It's not like Nintendo is forcing you to buy them or play as them. This board is for people that wants them playable. Nintendo should be happy or proud that they have fans that are either liking or warming up to the idea of the Inklings (a character I whos game isn't even out yet) being playable in Smash.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can't decide whether I care about these costumes. On one hand, Inklings, yay, but on another, Miis... bleh.

Well either way I'll probably be getting Splatoon at GameStop now just in case. :p

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
The detractors need to suck it up and calm down. With all of the DLC said and done they are still possible to make it. Stop saying they have til Smash 5. How would you feel if a character you wanted has a Mii coutume and then people are saying that it's deconfirmed because of the Mii.

If you don't want them in fine. It's not like Nintendo is forcing you to buy them or play as them. This board is for people that wants them playable. Nintendo should be happy or proud that they have fans that are either liking or warming up to the idea of the Inklings (a character I whos game isn't even out yet) being playable in Smash.

Even Mario and Peach have Mii costumes, but this is a fully blown costume in their likeness. Plus Splatoon is unproven.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm now wondering how I'd react if Wonder Red was confirmed as a Mii Brawler costume.

Yeah, I'd have mixed reactions to that. >w<;;

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Even Mario and Peach have Mii costumes, but this is a fully blown costume in their likeness. Plus Splatoon is unproven.
But those costumes are fully detailed too, so really what's your point? Besides the costumes could be used for marketing reasons. Especially since the game hasn't been released yet though we're in the month the game is going to get released.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If they're going to make boy, girl, and green squid costumes in Smash they might as well at least tie them to the amiibo too for a little extra usefulness out of them.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
My vote for the Inkling has already been cast, whether they do eventually become a completely new character or not is to be seen when the game's development official ends.

For me, this is where I think the line is drawn for the Inklings. I had suspicions the dev team would try to appease many requests through costumes, so that is why I am under the impression that this will be the best we get for now.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Simple way of getting around the whole "Oh the Mii Costumes share too much of the likeness debate."

The headphones we've seen on the inklings for the Single Player Campaign to get information from Colonel Cuttlefish.

Even the "Default duo" that the mii costumes run off of

have distinct headgear differences. Yes, the hair is going to be the same style if they use the iconic duo of designs. But for a game that emphasizes so heavily on weapon and clothing customization there are plenty of ways to help keep them more unique visually than the fact that the Mii's face fails to capture the look of an Inkling even when designed BY Nintendo for the art for the costumes.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
My vote for the Inkling has already been cast, whether they do eventually become a completely new character or not is to be seen when the game's development official ends.

For me, this is where I think the line is drawn for the Inklings. I had suspicions the dev team would try to appease many requests through costumes, so that is why I am under the impression that this will be the best we get for now.
This does not confirm or deny anything at all. If anything, it is a momentary promotion item and should be taken as such. It is not like Sakurai's team had enough time to develop the Inkling as a full fledged character before the game's release on top of Mewtwo and Lucas, or whoever else is coming next.

EDIT: Speaking of Lucas, remember when everyone thought he was deconfirmed because Ness got his special moves in his custom sets?

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I personally hope for a bit more of dat Amiibo compatibility. Would be nice to use these things on something other than Smash and Mario Kart. Nintendo themed gear would be great. Lemme Shulk up my Inkling yo.

Also, people shouldn't be throwing out "Smash 5" as an excuse like it is something happening in the near future. Keep in mind how long a console generation is and how long of a wait that is going to be. May not sound long to people who are satisfied with other character inclusions. But to a supporter like myself, that is like waiting forever.
Look at the case of Olimar though. Olimar was fresh when Melee came out, but he was too late to make it the game. He still gained lots of support and popularity, along with a sequel, and was a Shoe-in for Smash Brawl. Don't look at this as a long waiting period for Smash 5, look at it as a chance for Splatoon to grow as a series. Inklings are a top contender for Smash 5, and by the time the game comes out, Im sure we will have seen a sequel or two!!

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Sakuari probably needs time to get the Inklings right. I mean this is a character that never been seen before in Smash. Who's game has yet to be released as of yet. For all we know they could get confirmed sometime later, and the costumes are just fillers for the real deal. I'm sure he wants to do the Inklings justice like he's done with every other character. Some of the moves that can be used are obvious by just looking at some gameplay trailers. I'll admit the gameplay trailers that we've seen from directs and Gamexplain aren't a whole lot do with a moveset.

But once the game gets released and if Sakuari has enough of an idea for a moveset. This is the only reason I can see being the problem. Moveset, if he was somewhat limited with just gameplay trailers or just quick drawings then it's understandable. He ovisously have the look of them down because of the Mii costume. I think this was probably the problem. He didn't have much to go off for moveset.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Look at the case of Olimar though. Olimar was fresh when Melee came out, but he was too late to make it the game. He still gained lots of support and popularity, along with a sequel, and was a Shoe-in for Smash Brawl. Don't look at this as a long waiting period for Smash 5, look at it as a chance for Splatoon to grow as a series. Inklings are a top contender for Smash 5, and by the time the game comes out, Im sure we will have seen a sequel or two!!
Look at Roy and Lucas though. Roy was included in Melee before his own game, and Lucas as a promotion for his game. These are different times man. Melee and Brawl didn't have DLC. And Smash 4 is clearly going to have a longer lifespan because of DLC regardless. The game can still flower on its own while having a character in Smash. Nothing about their inclusion changes how Splatoon itself will do on the market, other than just further promotion.

I'm not waiting another console generation to get a character if the Ballot exists. Especially if I don't HAVE to wait. Period. That is the point of the ballot in the first place.

Sakuari probably needs time to get the Inklings right. I mean this is a character that never been seen before in Smash. Who's game has yet to be released as of yet. For all we know they could get confirmed sometime later, and the costumes are just fillers for the real deal. I'm sure he wants to do the Inklings justice like he's done with every other character. Some of the moves that can be used are obvious by just looking at some gameplay trailers. I'll admit the gameplay trailers that we've seen from directs and Gamexplain aren't a whole lot do with a moveset.

But once the game gets released and if Sakuari has enough of an idea for a moveset. This is the only reason I can see being the problem. Moveset, if he was somewhat limited with just gameplay trailers or just quick drawings then it's understandable. He ovisously have the look of them down because of the Mii costume. I think this was probably the problem. He didn't have much to go off for moveset.
I doubt it. He had plenty of prep time to work on Greninja when his game wasn't even out yet. Remember that he was being developed before Pokemon X and Y were even a thing.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
This does not confirm or deny anything at all. If anything, it is a momentary promotion item and should be taken as such. It is not like Sakurai's team had enough time to develop the Inkling as a full fledged character before the game's release on top of Mewtwo and Lucas, or whoever else is coming next.
Like I said earlier, that is only just my opinion on the situation.

You are welcome to think differently.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Look at Roy and Lucas though. Roy was included in Melee before his own game, and Lucas as a promotion for his game. These are different times man. Melee and Brawl didn't have DLC. And Smash 4 is clearly going to have a longer lifespan because of DLC regardless. The game can still flower on its own while having a character in Smash. Nothing about their inclusion changes how Splatoon itself will do on the market, other than just further promotion.

I'm not waiting another console generation to get a character if the Ballot exists. Especially if I don't HAVE to wait. Period. That is the point of the ballot in the first place.

I doubt it. He had plenty of prep time to work on Greninja when his game wasn't even out yet. Remember that he was being developed before Pokemon X and Y were even a thing.
Yeah I kind of forgot about Greninja when I actually put that in. If anything I think the Inklings situation is somewhat similiar to Greninja's not really Olimar's. Sakurai did say he didn't wait for X/Y to get released or to pick a Pokemon from that game. For we all know he probably known about Splatoon before we even did.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
This isn't quite the same position.

a) Olimar's game came out a month before Melee. This means that his game was in beta by the time his character would've been considered. This is going off the Ballot-started DLC. That ballot is going to close four months after Splatoon has come out.

b) Pikmin came from a time period that information of games, especially new ones, didn't travel nearly as quickly and we rarely saw anything before the game was ready to be released other than E3. We're getting world wide updates in reliable and streamlined forms across the internet now.

c) Inklings have been incredibly popular since E3 last year. Pikmin was a fresh and fairly unknown game in comparison.

d) :roymelee: Got in as promotion for a series that was struggling in its Japan-only market. This is a game that has a large international hype pre-release.

We need to see how the sales go and how the popularity lasts and grows as the game opens up and expands out with the free expansions that this direct said they have prepared that lasts to the phases that Ballot Characters are being chosen and developped.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Wow those Inkling Mii outfits look so much like the Inklings.

I know it doesn't really mean anything but it does make me a bit more nervous for the Inklings chance of getting into Smash as their own characters. :( I wonder if maybe Sakurai plans to appease Splatoon fans with this for now and then give us Inklings as playable in the next Smash if they're still popular.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Hm... These new costumes are very nice and might be re-used assets for an Inkling character. I dunno, Link has a Mii costume too, but this feels more of a Dunban situation, the team sooort of giving us the potential to have the character in a way.

Personally it feels like this is all we're getting and maybe a Splatoon stage, but it also seems sort of possible that Inkling will be ready by next year. They're doing well in the ballots, yeah?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
If Sakurai already knew about the Inklings game then their situation isn't like Olimar's if anything it's more like Greninja's situation. Sakurai did say in the roundtable he didn't waited for X/Y to get released for picking a Pokemon from the new game.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
How would you guys feel if Mii Gunner actually got 4 new paint based customs? Still doesn't seem like a full solution of course for those that wanted Inkling, but for a new untested IP that would be quite close to having the character without "having the character". Just curious really. Would be nice if they did at least that much.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
How would you guys feel if Mii Gunner actually got 4 new paint based customs? Still doesn't seem like a full solution of course for those that wanted Inkling, but for a new untested IP that would be quite close to having the character without "having the character". Just curious really. Would be nice if they did at least that much.
If Sakurai reached that point, he could just ask for a model of Inkling head as well and make a separate character

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I personally still would not be okay with that.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So... make almost completely new models for the humanoid inklings.

And make the custom specials for them, which is arguably one of the most complex parts for a moveset.

......Why not go the full distance, then? The team doesn't have a "deadline" and kinda have their own limit of time for a character, if this was some "compromise" when partway through making an Inkling.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I personally still would not be okay with that.
Is that partly because trying to force the Miis to fulfill the Inkling role seems like an attempt by Sakurai and co to make the "Mii Inklings" the answer to Inkling representation?

So... make almost completely new models for the humanoid inklings.

And make the custom specials for them, which is arguably one of the most complex parts for a moveset.

......Why not go the full distance, then? The team doesn't have a "deadline" and kinda have their own limit of time for a character, if this was some "compromise" when partway through making an Inkling.
Yeah, that's true. Once you're going that far it does seem a bit silly not to got the full distance.

Just wanted to see what the reaction would be to that idea. It's kind of like I expected but I liked seeing the reasoning.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
All this means is that #SquidSquad has to go extra hard on the polls. We need to learn from Ridley and K. Rool's fanbases. Those guys NEVER give up!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Is that partly because trying to force the Miis to fulfill the Inkling role seems like an attempt by Sakurai and co to make the "Mii Inklings" the answer to Inkling representation?
Honestly more because it seems... "half-assed" in making an Inkling fighter then if it got its own specials.
And argue what you want, there's hard dedicated work into more fully and grandly encompassing & representing a character as a fighter with really two characters who are a bit of a sore thumb on this manner :4ganondorf: & :4wario2:.

When Sakurai, just months ago, said that he didn't want to make Ridley a fighter because he feel that it wouldn't be true to the integrity of Ridley as a character.... doing this "partial" newcomer of a high-popularity character really rubs off the wrong way.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Honestly more because it seems... "half-*****" in making an Inkling fighter then if it got its own specials.
And argue what you want, there's hard dedicated work into more fully and grandly encompassing & representing a character as a fighter with really two characters who are a bit of a sore thumb on this manner :4ganondorf: & :4wario2:.

When Sakurai, just months ago, said that he didn't want to make Ridley a fighter because he feel that it wouldn't be true to the integrity of Ridley as a character.... doing this "partial" newcomer of a high-popularity character really rubs off the wrong way.
Yeah, Sakurai is a weird one. I understand that reasoning. It's likely this is just a temporary solution for later DLC or Smash 5. It does seem like an attempt at an "Inking solution" however.

I'm still waiting to see how Splatoon plays and stuff before I'm fully on board with Inkling, although I think the character design and concept is really cool.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Kraken should be the Inkling's Final Smash.

I see no reason why the Inklings can't be in if they do well in the polls. The costume means nothing.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The Mii doesn't answer the Inkling representation in any way whatsoever. If they are going the extra distance just to add specials, you might as well make the full character.

Top Bottom