• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yeah, Sakurai is a weird one. I understand that reasoning. It's likely this is just a temporary solution for later DLC or Smash 5. It does seem like an attempt at an "Inking solution" however.

I'm still waiting to see how Splatoon plays and stuff before I'm fully on board with Inkling, although I think the character design and concept is really cool.
With it soley being a Mii Costume, it's no more a "solution" than it was for Dunban, Megaman X, or Protoman.

If this is all it is, then it was a "gift" due to Inklings not having the support for becoming DLC by the end of the Ballot characters.

:roymelee: and :4greninja: prove that main characters of upcoming games are on the table if Sakurai's made aware of them and finds a desire to use them.

:4shulk: proves that new IPs, if popular enough and have a unique enough arsenal, are fair game for being in.

:4mewtwo: and Ridley's interview proves that Sakurai is aware of what fans want.

It comes down to if they get enough support coming out of when the Ballot closes and the characters are chosen. If Splatoon's pre-release hype was enough to warrant these costumes, I am willing to hope that continued popularity as the game expands out over the next few months will have Inklings be a force to be reckoned with.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I honestly won't be disappointed if they don't make it in. But don't give me false hope by giving me Mii Costumes that doesn't respectively fit the moveset given to them. It will be the most jarring thing to me to see a paint gun fire actual blasts of energy. Some people might not have this same issue. But I sure as heck do. At least with the X and Proto Man costumes, it made sense to the character. Here, it just doesn't make sense at all.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
The Mii doesn't answer the Inkling representation in any way whatsoever. If they are going the extra distance just to add specials, you might as well make the full character.
Sounds like Burruni's reason then. Makes sense.

With it soley being a Mii Costume, it's no more a "solution" than it was for Dunban, Megaman X, or Protoman.

If this is all it is, then it was a "gift" due to Inklings not having the support for becoming DLC by the end of the Ballot characters.

:roymelee: and :4greninja: prove that main characters of upcoming games are on the table if Sakurai's made aware of them and finds a desire to use them.

:4shulk: proves that new IPs, if popular enough and have a unique enough arsenal, are fair game for being in.

:4mewtwo: and Ridley's interview proves that Sakurai is aware of what fans want.

It comes down to if they get enough support coming out of when the Ballot closes and the characters are chosen. If Splatoon's pre-release hype was enough to warrant these costumes, I am willing to hope that continued popularity as the game expands out over the next few months will have Inklings be a force to be reckoned with.
Time will tell. I hope Splatoon is a success and makes a good argument for representation whether it be sooner or later.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Roy, Greninja, and Shulk are all huge examples of what Splatoon is if the Inkling were to make in Smash as DLC. I don't think its like Captain Olimar's situation at all when Melee came. If anything they come very close to Shulk and Greninja. I wouldn't be disappointed if they don't make it as DLC at least give them a stage. I'd be satisfied with a stage. I am satisfied with the roster the charcaters I wanted made into the initial roster. The Inkling would just be a little cherry on top for me, if they made it.

The thing is though I just don't think the costumes deconfirms them as people are saying. The fact that this is a new IP and that yet to have any representation in Smash bodes well for the inclusion as potential DLC fighters. Also the costumes that already in Smash that aren't currently fighters already have a representative from the series that they come from. Splatoon does not have a representative yet, but, has costumes. Therefore, increased the chances of the Inkling as a playable fighter. Oh well, at least we know Sakuari and his team are aware of them.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You can't compare a new series to an existing series that got a new rep due to promotion. The latter is an established practice in Smash, the former isn't. Especially since EAD, unlike Game Freak and maybe even IS has never pushed for inclusion of their newest characters.

Xenoblade was new and small but at least established. Even Pokemon and Pikmin and Xenoblade existed for several years before they were included in Smash.

I'm not saying precedent can't break, it very well might, I'm just saying it's not comparable to what we've seen in the past.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The Inklings are a rare case. But Sakurai has already expressed interest in including newer franchises into Smash Bros. And considering the following Splatoon already has, it isn't really an alien concept to include them. Promotional purposes or not.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
You can't compare a new series to an existing series that got a new rep due to promotion. The latter is an established practice in Smash, the former isn't. Especially since EAD, unlike Game Freak and maybe even IS has never pushed for inclusion of their newest characters.

Xenoblade was new and small but at least established. Even Pokemon and Pikmin and Xenoblade existed for several years before they were included in Smash.

I'm not saying precedent can't break, it very well might, I'm just saying it's not comparable to what we've seen in the past.
To be honest, post-development DLC is not an estabilished practice in Smash either. There's no precedent to break, and no pattern to follow.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Regardless of Splatoon, simply because Sakurai said he'd like to include newer franchises doesn't mean just because a franchise is new it's going to get included. For the handful of new franchises that get in with each iteration there are a plethora of those that don't.

To be honest, post-development DLC is not an estabilished practice in Smash either. There's no precedent to break, and no pattern to follow.
There is a precedent of character inclusions, whereby through a main game or DLC. DLC breaks precedent of how characters are offered, but so far the characters that DLC has been comprised of hasn't broken the precedent of what kind of characters are included on the roster. Just because one precedent is broken doesn't inherently mean they all will.

And again, I'm not saying it can't change. I'm just saying should it change... it would be a change.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Our only grounds for Newcomer DLC was a single sound file data-mined from major 1.0.6. data dump.

And that character is a 3rd Party character which is already an archaic situation we have only tried to make up rules for which the foundation got challenged by the inclusion of said Newcomer DLC.

We... are on unknown territory and sail on, making guesses and assumed rules off of what was present with a more defined situation.

Last edited:

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman

Xenoblade is not new.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeno_(series)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Xenoblade is a new IP and series because of it being in a different creative universe. There is no real ground that connects the games than the makers.

Xenoblade is as different of a series to Xenogears as Wonderful 101 is to Bayonetta. Using the Xeno- prefix as a tag of the company instead of the company name itself due to being as small as they were.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think if anything, the Inkling outfit is a sign that the characters weren't decided before the ballot (why make the outfit a pre-order bonus and not the character). They'll have to get in through the ballot.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I think if anything, the Inkling outfit is a sign that the characters weren't decided before the ballot (why make the outfit a pre-order bonus and not the character). They'll have to get in through the ballot.
Yeah it odd that they're more than likely aren't the other preballot character. Now I'm trying to figure out who it could be, if not the Inkling? IceClimbers are really the only other one that can be the last preballot if Sakurai got them to work. Then again we could be proven wrong again. The next slot has to go to Wolf, I'm just wondering who that last character slot can really go to?

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Regardless of Splatoon, simply because Sakurai said he'd like to include newer franchises doesn't mean just because a franchise is new it's going to get included. For the handful of new franchises that get in with each iteration there are a plethora of those that don't.
I never once said that because Splatoon is new, its going to be included. I've only been stating the fact that because it is a new game that already has a large following, it does deserve a character. I'm well aware that a handful of series get left out. Hence series like Golden Sun, Metroid, DKC, Custom Robo, Advance Wars, ect. getting the cold shoulder with a massive amount of fan support trying to back them up. I'd rather that not become a similar case with Splatoon. God bless the ballot.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yeah it odd that they're more than likely aren't the other preballot character. Now I'm trying to figure out who it could be, if not the Inkling? IceClimbers are really the only other one that can be the last preballot if Sakurai got them to work. Then again we could be proven wrong again. The next slot has to go to Wolf, I'm just wondering who that last character slot can really go to?
Dixie Kong maybe, I think she'd make sense and I remember her being leaked a while ago. Or Isaac although that really depends on what's happening with Golden Sun. Can't think of anyone else though

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It might hapoen that Inkling eill be in Smash Bros... we are one step close now.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Don't give up everyone!

As everyone else has said, we already have things like Samus and Meta Knight helmets for Mii Fighters. And we have a Link DLC costume for them, too.

I'm not giving up on a true Inkling DLC any more than I am giving up hope for a canon Ganondorf DLC.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I never once said that because Splatoon is new, its going to be included. I've only been stating the fact that because it is a new game that already has a large following, it does deserve a character. I'm well aware that a handful of series get left out. Hence series like Golden Sun, Metroid, DKC, Custom Robo, Advance Wars, ect. getting the cold shoulder with a massive amount of fan support trying to back them up. I'd rather that not become a similar case with Splatoon. God bless the ballot.
I'm just saying that statement of Sakurai's doesn't really mean all that much because new series have always still had to face the same standards that normal ones do, it's not like they've gotten a somewhat of a free pass like retros.

I don't know if that will change, but that's what's been the case up until now at least.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm just saying that statement of Sakurai's doesn't really mean all that much because new series have always still had to face the same standards that normal ones do, it's not like they've gotten a somewhat of a free pass like retros.

I don't know if that will change, but that's what's been the case up until now at least.
I can see that, yeah. Who knows what the case will be if they ever get any of these titan requests out of the way. So far some of the biggest contenders I've seen are the missing vets, Bayonetta, Banjo, K. Rool, Wonder Red, Shovel Knight, Isaac, Ridley, and Shantae.

Spyro839

Smash Cadet
After seeing the splatoon direct, i think inkling has a bigger chance also, there's inkling mii outfits in sm4sh

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
After seeing the splatoon direct, i think inkling has a bigger chance also, there's inkling mii outfits in sm4sh
Yep the costumes for smash help them not hurt them

Besides theres a costume for more than half of the playables

(Ps i was going to ask if it deconfirms but then i realized :4metaknight::4samus::4zelda::4mario::4luigi::4peach: :4link:(DLC):4megaman: (DLC) and more, have costumes as well so supports them due to splatoon gets acknowledge in smash bros 4.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Personally I think Inkling has a smaller chance, but only slightly.

This is just something to appease the Splatoon in Smash demand for Splatoon's launch. Getting Inkling as a character for May was always a naive notion, but it very well may still happen later on, especially with the poll in play. On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Sakurai thought it wasn't their time yet and Nintendo didn't push it, EAD doesn't usually do that kind of thing. Plus now they do have a promotional tie-in, so even if it's not a character that can be checked off.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah just continue supporting them if you really desire to see them as DLC. Unless Sakurai openly states that "Miinkling's" are added as some sort of compensation for no Inkling's as their own playable characters or that he felt that it wasn't their time yet. I see no reason why you guys can't continue pushing for them over at the ballot. Especially considering we already have several other playable characters as Mii headgear and wigs as well as Link having a whole outfit for them.

I think this mainly implies that they weren't really considered for Pre-Ballot DLC...

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
don't think the costumes do much they are there to show they know splatoon is popular like fox's wolf costume and how both :4mewtwo::4lucas: have trophys in the game we still have hope my freinds

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well either way. As long as I get Inkling, Shantae, or Isaac, or possibly any combination of the 3, I'll be more than satisfied with the extra content. Otherwise, I'm pretty much satisfied with what we've got.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
So far, it seems a new DLC character will come out every 2 months.

Lucas is coming out in June.

August is 2 months after June.

August is when the new Splatoon content will release.

Hmm.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
If anything the costumes prove that Nintendo and the team that works on Splatoon probably would like to see them in Smash. So thats something and I can really live with it for now, until I get the real deal. I'm still putting my votes for them. I like the roster, that we have and most of the characters I wanted are in the initial roster, but having the Inkling would be a nice bonus.

PS: Can we actually stop talking about the costumes now? It's a subject that been going on all day. Would like to discuss other stuff that happened in the direct. They showed some good stuff for the game.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
The Squid Sisters looks super creepy, and so do the Miis.
But I'll just wear the green squid hat, so whatever.
Everything else in the direct was hype though.
I can't wait to start inking people tomorrow

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Eh, I thought the squid sisters were pretty awesome designs. Then again, I think most of Splatoon's visual design is like SSS tier stuff in general.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I dunno, people who bring up the link thing.... they're iconic characters, of course they'd make costumes for them.

Does this make X confirmed for smash still? please be real, this could be the best we see, ink everywhere in a fighting game with 8 players... or hell the 3ds...did you not think of the technical limitations? I think this is sakurai just throwing the fans a bone, as these mii characters seem to match the counterparts very well while the others looked like knockoffs clearly.

Of course they still have the ballot, but even then.... with King K. Rool, Isaac, and vets in their way, I just dont see it. Feel free to keep up the support but i think they're done and this is the best the inklings will get. (just like the chorus kids)

of course ill expect passionate responses but if something like this happened to a character i wanted, id be realistic and not denying every possibility and only seeing the possibility i wanted.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Sign me up as a supporter.

Yeah, it's a (currently) yet-to-be-released series that needs prove itself, but it's a refreshingly interesting concept I am fully invested in, both as a Smash character and (most importantly) as an upcoming Nintendo IP. The endless potential of the Inklings' move-set and playstyle practically write themselves. Whether Sakurai implements them as DLC characters or not (and I fully understand why he would not, and respect that decision nonetheless), I still strongly support them to eventually be playable, one day or another. Other than K. Rool and Dixie, the Inklings are the only potential DLC newcomers I even care about.
And Banjo...

However, since I am unfamiliar with this thread, I must ask its supporters - how do you usually deal with the constant "band-wagoning" complaints? While I understand where the criticism is coming from, it does get annoying when we're occassionally made out to be only supporting what is currenly "newly popular". How should we deal with this situation respectfully?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I see there being zero evidence of the mii costumes totally disallowing Inklings into smash.

People can say this is for appeasement all they like, but that doesn't stop the fact there is no proof. In fact, there is more proof of it not mattering in the form of Mewtwo and Lucas trophies, the other mii costumes, etc.

Sure, you can make all your statements about why those mii costumes are of iconic characters and such. And you are right. But at the same time, these arguments still don't say anything about why they are completely blocked from being characters now.

Let's run through the arguments. I say Link having a mii costume as well shows it's still possible for both to coexist. The opponent says "well Link is iconic." And yeah, Link is iconic and is probably got the mii costume because of that. And Inklings got their costumes for promotional reasons.

And theres the thing. Why does Inkling's promotional reasons verge off into "unplayable" where as Link's doesn't? Again, there is still more proof of the ability to coexist then the ability not to.

I ultimately think this promotion helps Splatoon by getting it's foot in the door, with the negative thing impacting it is all the people saying the Inklings are impossible/

Quillion

Smash Hero
Why do the Inklings have to have the ink mechanics from Splatoon?

That's a really big stretch even without 3DS limitations to factor in.

Also, I'm disappointed in all of you in disqualifying the Inklings already. You're all quitters with no thought for possibility.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Sign me up as a supporter.

Yeah, it's a (currently) yet-to-be-released series that needs prove itself, but it's a refreshingly interesting concept I am fully invested in, both as a Smash character and (most importantly) as an upcoming Nintendo IP. The endless potential of the Inklings' move-set and playstyle practically write themselves. Whether Sakurai implements them as DLC characters or not (and I fully understand why he would not, and respect that decision nonetheless), I still strongly support them to eventually be playable, one day or another. Other than K. Rool and Dixie, the Inklings are the only potential DLC newcomers I even care about.
And Banjo...
However, since I am unfamiliar with this thread, I must ask its supporters - how do you usually deal with the constant "band-wagoning" complaints? While I understand where the criticism is coming from, it does get annoying when we're occassionally made out to be only supporting what is currenly "newly popular". How should we deal with this situation respectfully?
I still support them too. I voted for them several times today on different devices. Yes, there my most wanted DLC characters next to Impa, Dixie, and Rayman. The criticism is hard, but the only thing people would go against them is because their game isn't even out yet. It's been said this for this past couple of hours since the Mii costume reveal. (For the people that say they don't have a chance) I think they'll have a very interesting move set. It should be one of the reasons why you want that character. I mean when it comes to your favorites you just want to see them in and learn how to fight with them. You don't care about the "rules" you just want them in. The same goes for other characters that people want in as DLC. I think it's just best to ignore the people who say they don't have any chances. If they don't think so then it's fine it not like we can change their mindset.

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
If anything, the characters that already are in the game are the ones that have more chances of becoming DLC. Because that means they are iconic/known/interesting enough to, you know, be in the game.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Why do the Inklings have to have the ink mechanics from Splatoon?

That's a really big stretch even without 3DS limitations to factor in.

Also, I'm disappointed in all of you in disqualifying the Inklings already. You're all quitters with no thought for possibility.
That's in their character what would they be without it, im basing it off the movesets you guys have given. i dont know why you guys cant quote.

Im a realist, I factor in every possibility, with this news a new possibility of them not getting in has arisen, smash spec is subjective. imo with all the things going for them, they also have some things against them. I say the cons slightly outweigh the pros. They have obstacles, and if for some reason splatoon doesn't do well... it'll just be another wall. Saying they'll be in but they definitely will not stay out IS denying possibility. They can be in sure, but with people lukewarm with them and even in the RTC they arent even in top 10 want. In a niche site.... with strong smash supporters no less. Once the bandwagons die down and your ballot competition grows, do you think they'll have a chance? Well see, but for now I lean to no. Ignoring someone who disagrees with you is petty, every support thread gets this its nothing new, rather try to convince me instead of saying "you're annoying go away! you detractors sux!".

Edit: And i even thought they would be pre-ballot selected, I thought they had a high chance due to promotional reasons, but with this news... its ballot or nothing and given the comp. I dont see it sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom