• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inferno's Decarde, The Bowser Video & Critique Thread

Flayl

Smash Hero
Bowser is neither a turle or a dinosuar

He's a fire-breathing turtledinosaurdragon: Half turtle, half dinosaur, half dragon.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'll give it a shot.

Vs. MK: You had some good punishes in this match, but you had one huge problem too: you were constantly approaching MK by airdodging into him! That's definitely a very unsafe option against him, and it got you punished often. I know that Bowser lacks safe options against MK, but you should vary up your landings in any MU. Believe me, I've had problems with landings too. Sometimes land with an aerial, a claw, or absolutely nothing. Retreating to the ledge is also a safe option in limited cases.

The point is, approaching MK from the air is highly dangerous, and it shouldn't be done often or in a predictable way. Remember that Bowser's dash isn't bad at all, and you'll have quick access to your OOS game, since you're grounded. Being grounded (except when an aerial opening presents itself) is key in this lopsided MU. If you're going to play it as Bowser, don't try to beat MK at his own game. Personally, I think you outplayed Pablo, but not by quite enough to offset the character disadvantage.

Vs. Snake: The aerial approaching/landing problem rears it's ugly head again, albeit in a different manner. It's definitely valuable to to use our superior air game against Snake, especially if he's in the air or offstage. If he's on the ground, though, he can easily react to and punish our aerial approaches or bad landings. Like in the MK video, I really think you should have utilized ground approaches more, because Bowser really is solid on the ground. Aerial Klaw can still be used as an approach, though, especially against a shield-happy Snake. Just mix it up and don't stick to one method of approach. Fairs and Bairs will usually get punished by a grounded Snake, btw.

Also, use firebreath more! There are multiple applications for it. For instance, the fire can act as a wall to incoming grenades, or you can use the fire to harass him, forcing him to relocate on the stage or try a potentially unsafe option. A burst of fire breath would have definitely come in handy at around 0:51-0:56, because he was just standing there u-tilting while you were trying completely useless options. Also, there were a few too many Bowser Bombs in that game, and as you obviously saw you'll often eat mortars or utilts for doing them.

Vs. Olimar: I don't have much to say here that wasn't already said, besides the fact that jabbing incoming thrown Pikmin is immensely useful in this MU. Olimar is one of those characters where you can't afford to stay back, chill, and wait for him to come to you. You must approach, you must commit, and it's tough. Thankfully, Olimar takes hits like the little man he is (unless he's using his whistle armor of manliness), so a few good reads feel so good on him. You definitely got some of those said reads and almost won, so you know what I mean. ;)

D

Deleted member 189823

We are srsly the best critiquers ever. Srsly.
I think you guys are, since you're better and more experienced. We don't have many Top tier users here...and the ones who do use Top tiers are good players. :/

Thank you, Uncle. That was certainly useful. Now to put it in practice. :)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Random question how come the only 'senior' members on this board that ever upload vids are Zigsta and Limit (pretty sure Limit uploaded some recently)? Do you other guys never get sets recorded or just don't want to upload them?

Also Zig if it's not too much to ask could you critique mine too? If it's too much to ask don't worry. Thanks in advance.

:phone:

Flayl

Smash Hero
Because you basically started playing Brawl (competitively) near it's death. The game came out in 2008.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, that and a lot of people don't have recording capabilities/know people with recording capabilities. I haven't had a single game uploaded since December even though I've played in about 6 tournaments because no one's actually recorded any of my saved matches.

I'll critique yours too, Dre.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Because you basically started playing Brawl (competitively) near it's death. The game came out in 2008.
Have you been to other char boards? Top players and veterans still get sets recorded frequently. If that was a legitimate reason then virtually no one except newcomers would upload vids.

I'm not saying that there's obligation to upload vids, but the fact that the game has been out for awhile certainly hasn't stopped other veterans from uploading vids. I'm sure Melee vids still get
uploaded too.

I can understand not having equipment or just simply not wanting to, but insinuating that it was stupid of me to expect uploads from senior board members this late in the meta isn't fair at all.

Zigsta- Thanks. I can't think of anything else to say to justify singling you out lol.

D

Deleted member 189823

wat
SSB IV didn't even come out death. How is it "near death"? There are even SSB64 tournaments still going on. This fandom will probably keep on going after SSB IV comes out.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I havent had a match of me uploaded since 9 months ago.

The last offline smash event I entered was 2 months ago, and that was a smashfest. The last tournament I entered was probably nearly a year ago.

This will all change because I'm graduating on Friday, but...yeah. I haven't really been around lately. I've been more on a MvC grind than anything, but I will play Brawl, and Bowser more when I get home.

...probably.

D

Deleted member 189823

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
For me, it's definitely the lack of recording capability, not the desire to record. Our state hardly records anything besides various finals. As a result, nearly all of my games are only memories (including my best ones).

As soon as I get an SD card reader (my computer doesn't have a SD card slot), I'm gonna put that infinite replays hack on my Wii. It's time to take matters into my own hands. :cool:

MrEh

Smash Hero
wat
SSB IV didn't even come out death. How is it "near death"?
He's basically saying that you started playing Brawl after most of the players had already moved on.

Brawl was popular from 2008-2010. After that, the popularity kinda declined. We don't get 30 man locals like we used to in my region.

B!squick

Smash Master
He's basically saying that you started playing Brawl after most of the players had already moved on.

Brawl was popular from 2008-2010. After that, the popularity kinda declined. We don't get 30 man locals like we used to in my region.
Well, it's to be expected. Someone's gotta bring in the coconut harvest.

Flayl

Smash Hero
The Texas HOBO's are dead. If that doesn't say something about Brawl's activity I don't know what does.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
The last HOBO was actually last weekend. The Battle Network series will become the new flagship series, but a lot of Texas players are unmotivated for now (at least from what I've heard).

D

Deleted member 189823

That is actually kinda sad. But he wasn't talking to me, tho. Then again, I did start kind of late last year. :/ Back when I got Brawl in July of 2010 I sucked and I didn't play it very much.

MrEh

Smash Hero
The Brawl scene where I live is pretty much dead. I mean, we still play once in awhile, but there's not enough entrants to warrant having monthly tournaments anymore. Nowadays, we just run a couple larger tournaments each year.

All I can do now is post around the boards and give random bits of advice.

D

Deleted member 189823

Nice move with the GR on LethalTrilogy's Diddy Kong, Mreh.

Back in 2010, everyone here sucked at Brawl. The "best" players were two MKs that spammed Tornado, a pretty decent R.O.B and a good Pit. If I went back in time I would win all those tournaments. :c

B!squick

Smash Master
What's this everyone? I was pretty decent back when I played. I still remember the time I discovered wave bouncing/b-reversals with Firebreath. And once we figured out that's all it was everyone was like, oh THAT, yeah, we've known about that for a while. That's how dedicated I was. I was over a year behind everyone else's meta game.

On a completely random different note, I'm not looking forward to the next Smash on the WiiU. I really wish they'd just support GC controllers and start making them again. That controller was perfect. I'm not a fan of even the Arcade Classic controller as I think it's called. It's just the Classic with wing grips. It's still based heavily on the sucky controllers of yore. I'd honestly prefer an Atari style controller over the Classic, Arcade or otherwise.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There's a good chance that Mewtwo and Dixie will be in the next one because they were meant to be in brawl and are in the programming, and 4 will be using brawl's engine.

It'll be interesting to see how different 4 is because they said it will use brawl's engine but they also said they're going to try make it more balanced.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I'm not a fan of the classic controller for smash either.

People actually said that the tablet controller is actually very comfy though. So it might actually work...

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Random question how come the only 'senior' members on this board that ever upload vids are Zigsta and Limit (pretty sure Limit uploaded some recently)? Do you other guys never get sets recorded or just don't want to upload them?
1. Brawl is an old game when it comes to competitive games nowadays (look at the main popular competitive games right now, SC2, SC5, UMvC3, SSF4AE, KoFXIII, LoL, DotA, Halo, CoD, etc, etc. The oldest of them all came out in 2010)
2. People are getting tired of the game. Hell, Im considered REALLY active and I barely play the game anymore.
3. Lots of veterans are retiring/have retired.
4. Lack of access to recording devices.
5. Youre asking for videos on one of the worst and least played characters in the game.
6. The game is dying.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Those points explain why lots of vids in general don't get uploaded, but not why people on this forum who I assume are still active don't upload vids (except for the reason of not having access to recording equipment or just simply not wanting to do it).

D

Deleted member 189823

H8ers gonna h8. Smash is perfectly fine, I refuse to see it die!

Top Bottom