• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Increase the range of Sonic's F-Smash

Sharky

Smash Master
Yep you read it right. It's this new tech called stutter stepping. Any character can do it, but it works slightly different with a selected few (including sonic.)

Stutter stepping basically involves hitting back on the control stick and f-smashing right afterward with the c-stick. Most characters would start to move backwards then smash from their further back position. With Sonic, however, he actually zooms forwards of where he started and smashes there.

Other characters known to stutter-step this way: Mario, Gannondorf, Captain Falcon

I'd like to see how this will fare on the competitive scene.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, intriguing. I guess that should work for any character who pulls back as they smash.

About how far does this increase the range of the attack?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Since the game's still not out for us who didn't import.... video?

Sharky

Smash Master
I regret that I cannot supply you all with video at the moment, as it is my friend, not myself, who has the game. However, I hope to be able to make the trip there sometime tomorrow, so perhaps you will see something in the near future.

LuCKy

Smash Master
whoa imma try that today lol if it can work ill try to upload a video of it

-edit nvm lol my friend is asleep,i think..... so i wont be able to get the capture card until tomorrow *sigh*

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Oh, wow. He moves forward a LOT more than I thought he would. Good find, seriously. Gonna incorporate this. As if the pull-back on the fsmash wasn't good already, suddenly Sonic has more range than Marth on his fsmash.

Seriously, just tried it, it hits from wicked far away. I wish you could do it into ftilt. D:

andy6915

Smash Rookie
Well, this is going to bump Sonic's tier (whatever it MIGHT have been) up a bit.

Sharky

Smash Master
hehe thanks =D

However, before anyone gives me full credit, I must admit that this originated from T0MMY messing around with his controls and discovering it with mario. I've just put work into fully figuring it out (ie which characters do what, who it's useful for, etc.). =)

I'd also like to add that you can actually do this moving both sticks in one direction, as well, for a slightly different motion.

Sharky

Smash Master
Sorry to disappoint, GlitchMaster. I'm a R.O.B. main, myself, so he was the first character I tried it with. you can do a forward stutter-step, but it hardly gains any distance compared to those guys I mentioned above, so I wouldn't consider it too useful for him. =/

cynar

Smash Apprentice
This was already known, you should stop going around trying to makeup names for stuff that people already know about.

Shadowlyger

Smash Cadet
Wait...

You hit back (Let's say left) and then what direction do you smash with the C-stick, right or left?

Man I wish there was a video, it sounds awesome.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hmmm, so you have to turn around in a run to do this? I'm not so sure if someone would let you run right by then like that, and no one's going to keep up with sonic in a chase to set up for that attack. I just don't see it being all that useful really. then again that's just my opinion, and feel free to say your opinion sucks because I know there are alot of sonic fans out there (yoshi guy myself)

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Wait...

You hit back (Let's say left) and then what direction do you smash with the C-stick, right or left?

Man I wish there was a video, it sounds awesome.
Say you're running right, you slam left and then c-stick smash right instantly. Because Sonic pulls "back" a bit when he does his smash charge animation, he in effect moves towards the enemy (since you're facing away before you start the move up).

Sharky

Smash Master
You shouldn't be full out running at all when you do this. You only start the dash animation, then smash. The timing's only slightly slower than that of dash-dancing.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I'll try to get some video stuff done this weekend to show how amazing this is. No doubt about it, it has more range than his ftilt. I need to get a friend over to test and see if it has more range than Marth/Ike. The second is a lot less likely, Ike has stupid range.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
this Ftilt already had the power and had pretty decent priority... improving his range would be a BIG bonus

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
OMG YOU GUYS! HILARIOUS MINDGAMES ABOUND!

Do Sonic's dashdance really really fast (to the point where dust clouds don't kick up) just outside their range. When they try to do something about it, counter with the stutter-stepped fsmash. Laugh because of how ******** Sonic's dashdance is, and the fact that they fell for it.

For additional hilarity, trip, and get fsmashed by them instead. =D!

LastReaper

Smash Cadet
Wow. That seems interesting...but I won't change my main!! lol. Man, first pit, now Sonic. Techniques sure r being discovered at a faster pace than in melee. Post a vid when u'll have the chance plz. thx

aho43

Smash Lord
do you mean doing a pivot smash? or is this something different? if you're talking about doing a smash out of the initial dash animation, by starting a dash up, then pressing the other direction to cancel it and csticking the smash, which is what i think you are, this has been known since smash64(you didnt use cstick in ssb64 obv). but its still good to make newcomers aware of less common techniques. if you're talking about some other technique, videos would be good.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
well... sorry guys... I can't acess the game myself until I'm back at college, so I had Omnigamer try for me... he seems to be pretty capapble at doing all the tricks.
anyway... here's what he says about it:
"doesn't work"
"did nothing, basically"
"just let them use a fsmash after they stop moving"
"barely works with the chars you mentioned too" (sonic, mario G-Dorf and C. Falcon)
"it's noticable with them because they stop really quickly"
"hardly can be called a technique"

this is really dissapointing... but I'm more dissapointed that I got so hyped up about it

edit: I think he said something about "pivot smash" earlier but not after he tried it, so I'm not sure if it's a different technique or not

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
It's not used to stop momentum. You do it when you've already stopped, and it moves (Sonic, at least) them forward about 1 to 1 1/2 body-widths forward, while the smash is going on.

No offense, but it's no small surprise that Omni never really did well in tournaments. Great moderator, and all, but he's kinda not catching the drift of how techniques work.

Of course, he could be confusing it with the pivot smash, like Aho, which it isn't. I'll get vids up later, to illustrate that it does work, and Omni is either doing something wrong, or just not understanding how it works.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I suppose that if it was timed wrong, it would still pivot smash right?

He always seemed good with techniques to me... maybe not necessarily incorperating them into gameplay... but he seemed to be able to at least DO them

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
He coulda timed it wrong, yeah. If you do it too slow, you'll spindash. There also seems to be a certain timing where he doesn't move forward at all, but I think as long as you do it quickly, he moves forward a noticeable amount.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I really need to see/practice this.. but I can't do either 'till I'm back at college

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
3 people that can do it + 1 person that can't = it's possible.

Can't wait to see the vids, Zeal!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
3 people that can do it + 1 person that can't = it's possible.

Can't wait to see the vids, Zeal!
it's highly possible that omni is mistiming it, or that he just doesn't think it seems like it's near as good as it's being made out to be.

Sharky

Smash Master
well... sorry guys... I can't acess the game myself until I'm back at college, so I had Omnigamer try for me... he seems to be pretty capapble at doing all the tricks.
anyway... here's what he says about it:
"doesn't work"
"did nothing, basically"
"just let them use a fsmash after they stop moving"
"barely works with the chars you mentioned too" (sonic, mario G-Dorf and C. Falcon)
"it's noticable with them because they stop really quickly"
"hardly can be called a technique"

this is really dissapointing... but I'm more dissapointed that I got so hyped up about it

edit: I think he said something about "pivot smash" earlier but not after he tried it, so I'm not sure if it's a different technique or not
He did it wrong.

You aren't supposed to go into the dash animation. The process is simillar to dash-dancing, only you turn around with a smash. Omni seems to be smashing after the beginning dash animation is over, which is not the same thing. Like I said, it's very quick.

If you do it too slow, then you'll simply do a dash attack in the wrong direction. You can space the timing slightly to change how much you move forward, to the point where you smash in the same place you started.

Top Bottom