• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Increase the range of Sonic's F-Smash

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
No, Sonic's fsmash is still his best KO move, especially without diminishing return. I tested all the moves, and Fsmash ALWAYS kills before dsmash does. It also comes out faster, has more range, and (yes) priority. Dsmash gets beat by jabs. Fsmash doesn't. Bair has the best priority out of all three, but kills the latest.

Still, dsmash is useful, especially against spot-dodgers. Just don't claim it kills before fsmash. The only move to do that is the uair on Corneria, honestly.

Damax

Smash Lord
No, Sonic's fsmash is still his best KO move, especially without diminishing return. I tested all the moves, and Fsmash ALWAYS kills before dsmash does. It also comes out faster, has more range, and (yes) priority. Dsmash gets beat by jabs. Fsmash doesn't. Bair has the best priority out of all three, but kills the latest.

Still, dsmash is useful, especially against spot-dodgers. Just don't claim it kills before fsmash. The only move to do that is the uair on Corneria, honestly.
were those DIed? Fsmash is ****IN DI able so easily.

I doubt about all this, maybe DI problems.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Dsmash comes out later. Both are DIable, and it affects them the same way. Seriously, Fsmash is a better kill move.
agreed... I mean... sonic can pary other fsmashes with his fsmash... but his Dsmash... not so much.... it's got range and lingering hitboxes... but that's it.

bair and fsmash... his best standard kill moves

Damax

Smash Lord
alright, finaly got to test out things.

his Fsmash kills better.

you can COMBINE the two techs, the pivot smash + the increased forward smash, giving about a sonic lenght more to the increased forward smash, its fast, it has better range.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Whoever said only a few characters can do this is mistaken. Any character can, it's just a bit more noticeable with a Sonic and other fast-startup characters.

Further note, since I don't see this amended anywhere, you can do this by smashing the control stick in either direction. What matters is the direction you smash you c-stick. You stutter step either way, although doing it in the same direction for both taps seems to yield a better distance if done right. I tested this a bit, but not extensively so don't quote me on that distance comment.

And another thing, the up-smash can be stutter stepped as well in the same fashion. It's not like hyphen smashing because all the horizontal momentum is canceled by the smash.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Doesn't the Dsmash have a lower trajectory? If so then it can set up for easy gimp kills.
it does have a lower trajectory, but also much more cooldown lag in case you miss. really low hitbox making it often harder to hit with, less knocback and a LOT less priority.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
The fsmash angled downwards has a lower trajectory, though. =/

Dsmash is good for charged mindgames. Not too much else, aside from roll/midair punishment.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I've managed to edge-guard recoveries using D-smash so there's also that. Although, it's usually better to jump off the edge and aerial/spring if you have the time.

Sonic's Dsmash has range, but that's about it.

I've been able to kill with an Fair before the Dsmash will kill reliably. v.v
I only use it to get people away from me to start chasing them with aerials

RAR Bair off-stage has been responsible for a lot of my kills as Sonic, though...

Am I doing anything wrong with the Dsmash, or is it just not very useful as a gimp/kill move?

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Dsmash is decent from what I've used. Is anybody trying to find more Bair combos? It just seems like spamming the F smash to knock people off is going to get a bit predictable after a while. I mean yeah, B air and D smash aren't as reliable-- but their still kill moves-- and they'd be good to switch up.

Top Bottom