• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Increase the range of Sonic's F-Smash

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I played it today. I couldn't get it to extend a high distance but I did get it to work, and it's quite useful for clipping those who would normally outrange you. I lol'd when I outprioritized a Ganondorf today.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
It's exactly a 1% chance of tripping everytime you tap the control stick while grounded. It's annoying, but not a valid arguement against this technique as it only requires tapping the control stick one time.
Incorrect. I have a friend who tests for Nintendo. He tried writing it as a bug, and they said it was a "feature" put in by Sakurai himself. There are 4 factors that effect it.

1) Character
2) Movement
3) Terrain

This last one is the best.

4) Whether you're winning or not.

Welcome to Sakurai being ********, guys.

Tristan Darkshade

Smash Cadet
...whether you're winning or not!?! Hahahaha! I can see it now.

Sonic: "I have the upper edge!"

Then he runs forward and trips due to lack of caution.

Anyhow, did this ever get recorded? The ranged forward smash, I mean. I'd check myself if I had it, but I won't until the ninth.

Doesn't sound that hard, really. Just press back and press the c-stick forward at almost the same time. But eh, I can be corrected on that later easily.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Could someone do me the favor of trying this with a wiimote + Nunchuck using the shake-smash mechanic?

If it doesn't work like that or if there is no other way of doing this, then I might have to use the GC controller after all ='[ :p

Tristan Darkshade

Smash Cadet
Could someone do me the favor of trying this with a wiimote + Nunchuck using the shake-smash mechanic?

If it doesn't work like that or if there is no other way of doing this, then I might have to use the GC controller after all ='[ :p
I doubt the shake smash will do it. The point of using the C stick is not only to immediately smash, but also to direct the smash away from your movement.

Tristan Darkshade

Smash Cadet
I don't quite understand your argument. Why would you not be able to do the same using the shake smash?
...shake smashing only makes you smash in the direction you're facing, right? You're starting movement AWAY from an enemy, then using the c stick to smash TOWARD the opponent.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
hmm.. if I'm doing the SSS correct then it;s not like everyone says it was...

it appears to be a technique that allows sonic to smash out of a dash. hitting the opposite direction halts the dash's momentum enough for the game to allow you to smash. Not to say that this isn;t useful... it's just that the uses are different. the reason it looks like it's sliding is because you are dashing into an Fsmash which isn't something you can normally do.

but I'll wait for a vid to see if my execution is correct.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Natch.

It's stepping forward with his smash while at a standstill/walk.

I've done it. He moves forward slightly with the punch. I'll have to try out that dashing fsmash though.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Natch.

It's stepping forward with his smash while at a standstill/walk.

I've done it. He moves forward slightly with the punch. I'll have to try out that dashing fsmash though.
my point was that your "step" forwards is just part of the dash initiated by yor first smashing of the control stick.. it just happens so quick that it looks like it's something entirely different.

It's more a dash-smash then a stutter step, the stutter step is just a very qucik verison of it.

at least, that's what I'm thinking unless I see a vid that seems to prove otherwise.

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
It works although the shake smash's accuracy could be better...

In fact this whole thing doesn't need C-stick or shake smash at all. Heck, I was able to do it even with bare Wiimote. Doesn't mean it would be easy to do with 100% succes rate though. :p

tw1n

Smash Champion
How much range does it truly increase? I've heard alot and a little, is it double or 1.5X or what?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
1.5 body lengths. I shouldn't have made a big deal about it, but it looked bigger before I started using it in matches. It's still good, but not the HOMG GREAT because it's really hard to incorporate, though the people I play notice when I'm trying to nail them with it.

Damax

Smash Lord
How much range does it truly increase? I've heard alot and a little, is it double or 1.5X or what?
1.5 body lengths. I shouldn't have made a big deal about it, but it looked bigger before I started using it in matches. It's still good, but not the HOMG GREAT because it's really hard to incorporate, though the people I play notice when I'm trying to nail them with it.
actually just look at how much sonic step back during his forward smash animation, that step makes him go forward. You can do the same with captain falcon but it is bigger because his step is bigger than sonic's

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I think I know what you're saying, but just in case I'm misunderstanding, Sonic only moves forward when you stutter step. Otherwise, he only appears to move forward, and is actually stationary, with pullback and the like.

Damax

Smash Lord
I think I know what you're saying, but just in case I'm misunderstanding, Sonic only moves forward when you stutter step. Otherwise, he only appears to move forward, and is actually stationary, with pullback and the like.
I don't really get the stutter step part.

while sonic winds up his forward smash, he pulls himself back.

however since you press back, and forward smash in the opposite direction, Sonic pulls himself back (tocharge) toward the enemy thus giving a increased forward smash.

it might even work if you are showing your back to the enemy. I found it easier to do without smashing the control stick, you can just walk back and tap the c-stick fast.

This is not a dash dance. it is NOT a OMG WTF BBQ AWESOME TECH. and NO it won't raise sonic's tier. Captain falcon's forward smash range get increased much more.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Wow, wtf. Damax is the only person I've ever talked to that understands the mechanics and whys of it. Thanks for adding that. It's not broken, or even amazing, but it's good.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I must be doing it wrong then... because even in slowmo mode I'm not noticing it being particularly good... besides the fact that you can do it out of a dash... I must be doing a pivot smash.

Damax

Smash Lord
I must be doing it wrong then... because even in slowmo mode I'm not noticing it being particularly good... besides the fact that you can do it out of a dash... I must be doing a pivot smash.
Sonic's pivot smash must be about as good as the increased forward smash, though. For captain falcon the increased forward smash is better than his pivot smash

on a side note, the increased forward smash is a bit faster, since there's no frame where you run.

Thx Zeal, I was just one of the lucky who got to play brawl often even if it wasn't releashed yet the rest is pure logic. also my sonic is sex :D

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Get vids up, Damax. I wants to see your Sonic.

STHD, you really need to get this fsmash outta dash on film. I want to see what you're talking about. If it's actually an fsmash outta dash, that's going to help him kill immensely.

Damax

Smash Lord
Get vids up, Damax. I wants to see your Sonic.

STHD, you really need to get this fsmash outta dash on film. I want to see what you're talking about. If it's actually an fsmash outta dash, that's going to help him kill immensely.
I wish, if I was able to make films, this thread would have is increased forward smash movie + the fsmash outta dash. I'll accept any wifi challenge once I get my copy of brawl and Sonic of course :p Damax55 at hotmail dot com if you wanna keep contact, it'll be a pleasure.

The fsmash outta dash now, don't over rate it.

have you played? if you did, did you try to dash dance? It's the same mecanics.

you can cancel the start of a dash with an opposite direction dash, but you can cancel it with a forward smash, thus a pivot smash or fsmash outta dash.

if you tried the dash dances in brawl, you should know that they are REALLY short, thus loosing its interest.

on a side note walking forward a bit and then doing the increased forward smash seems as fast but with a better range.

what's left to test, is the combinaison of both moves, thus dashing forward start a dash dance and at the same time cancel the dash in a forward smash

we should be able to get the dash dancing canceled into increased forwardsmash. giving us a smash increase of about 1 full sonic? since both tech increase the smash range by about .5

oh yeah, and the forward smash kill at about 170... so I would not rely on it too much.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Kills at 170? On what levels have you been using it?

I thought you meant fsmash outta a full dash, not a partial dash, mah bad.

I have played, I actually have an FAQ and vids up for the forums.

Damax

Smash Lord
Kills at 170? On what levels have you been using it?

I thought you meant fsmash outta a full dash, not a partial dash, mah bad.

I have played, I actually have an FAQ and vids up for the forums.
I don't remember, I hardly wait so long. Usually a spindash to back air or down smash cut the drill before, but I know that it doesn't ko SO well at all. I remember a friend surviving one at 150% with a good DI on FD without diminishing return. in fact I think I never had diminishing return on a forward smash I just don't spam it.

the down smash is SOOO underated. if you do it near a edge, the second hit will be longer. (oh **** increased downsmash range)

tw1n

Smash Champion
the down smash is SOOO underated. if you do it near a edge, the second hit will be longer. (oh **** increased downsmash range)
Heck ya it is! Its a great edge guard move too. If you get the timing right some of the hitbox goes below the edge and can do damage and knockback off the stage

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Fsmash can also reach off the edge. Any forward attack does, now, at least from my experience.

Problem? Auto-sweetspot ruins that. D:

EDIT: Dsmash doesn't kill until higher percents. That being said, it's a lot easier to hit with a fully charged dsmash than fully (or even partially) charged Fsmash, at least in my experience.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Fsmash can also reach off the edge. Any forward attack does, now, at least from my experience.

EDIT: Dsmash doesn't kill until higher percents. That being said, it's a lot easier to hit with a fully charged dsmash than fully (or even partially) charged Fsmash, at least in my experience.
true... but THAT having been said, Dsmash has a lot less priority.

Damax

Smash Lord

wtf with all this dmash/fsmash talk.

dsmash as the same priority as fsmash on 2 first hits.

Dsmash kills can kill at 130 on some map. whitout dminishing return it is sonic's best KO move.

Top Bottom